Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«404 »
Taima
Dec 31, 2006

No HDMI 2.1 sources can be tested right now. RTings is very clear about that in their CX review:

"According to the TV's specs, it supports 4k @ 120Hz with proper chroma 4:4:4, but it only works with HDMI 2.1 sources, which we can't test at the moment. We'll retest this when we have an HDMI 2.1 source. However, we were able to get it to 4k @ 120Hz with chroma 4:2:0."

The CX supports 4:2:0 subsampling, which effectively compresses the signal such that it fits under regular HDMI 2.0 headroom. So RTings is able to say "we tested this resolution at this frame rate" on the CX. The C9 does not support 4:2:0, so they can't test it.

Get what I'm saying here? No one is testing HDMI 2.1 capabilities here, they are testing the basic functionality of the TV using compressed data rates that the C9 doesn't support. It's basically a technicality because very few, if any people are trying to run a super-compressed 4K/120 signal in the first place. Better to just run 4K/60 at full fat until real HDMI 2.1 is here.

I maintain the same position I always have:

1) The C9 is at worst equivalent and at best superior to the CX (though I would argue superior, not just in price but in increased brightness and less buggy software, of course YMMV depending on your priorities)

2) There is absolutely no way for consumer-level testing of HDMI 2.1 right now, so both sets are equal in that regard. However I'll go out on a limb and say that we have no reason to suspect LG is lying, so... if you think they are, then fair enough I guess but it's not something I'm going to engage in personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

American McGay posted:

99% of people in this thread would be absolutely floored by a B9. The amount of fencesitting that happens here when you could be enjoying a great TV is sad.
For a while I was really thinking "well I can get a 55" C9 for xxxx so..." but aside from the processor, the B9 seemed just as good.

Now that I have it sitting at home, I don't really care about the processor! It's great! I know CelPhones have taught us that New = Better but the B9 is a real, real good screen.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

What would be a good TV around 40 inches with above average picture? I have a Toshiba 43 inch Amazon 4k I bought a few prime days ago. But the picture quality on it has never felt too great to me. I don't care much about price just something that looks good.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Not sure if I missed a reccomendation link in the OP but, what do gunes suggest for something around 500$~? Feature wise I am looking for smart/roku, plus maybe having HDMI 2.1, or display port as well for future gamin on whatever next gen crap comes out.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of

dentist toy box posted:

What would be a good TV around 40 inches with above average picture? I have a Toshiba 43 inch Amazon 4k I bought a few prime days ago. But the picture quality on it has never felt too great to me. I don't care much about price just something that looks good.

I think at that size you're not going to find too much variance. Higher quality production is dedicated to larger panels. Someone else might have more specific recommendations.

Fat_Cow posted:

Not sure if I missed a reccomendation link in the OP but, what do gunes suggest for something around 500$~? Feature wise I am looking for smart/roku, plus maybe having HDMI 2.1, or display port as well for future gamin on whatever next gen crap comes out.

Size? Country?

If you're in the US, at that price point you're probably looking at the TCL 6-series, which is the thread's generic go-to for that budget. It's not the best LCD, but it's where you start to hit diminishing returns for funbux spent.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Boxman posted:

I think at that size you're not going to find too much variance. Higher quality production is dedicated to larger panels. Someone else might have more specific recommendations.

Size? Country?

If you're in the US, at that price point you're probably looking at the TCL 6-series, which is the thread's generic go-to for that budget. It's not the best LCD, but it's where you start to hit diminishing returns for funbux spent.

Yeah US. So this one https://www.amazon.com/TCL-4K-Smart...B07JKL2K5T?th=1 ?
What would be the next "step up" if I wanted to throw more funbucks around?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

6-series TCL is a good TV. I have recommended it to 3 people in my immediate life and they all love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of

Fat_Cow posted:

Yeah US. So this one https://www.amazon.com/TCL-4K-Smart...B07JKL2K5T?th=1 ?
What would be the next "step up" if I wanted to throw more funbucks around?

That's the 4-series, which is a significant downgrade. The 6-series at currently 65" runs $750 from Amazon, so it would be stretching your budget a bit already. It can be had for cheaper if you keep an eye out; I got mine on black friday for $600.

As for more steps up, I stopped researching once I realized consensus is on that for sweet spot. I'll defer to someone else in the thread.

«404 »