Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

beep by grandpa posted:

Now that I have this big stupid TV I want to get really loving high and watch 4k HDR (maybe 60fps) wildlife documentaries and look at animals, the sea and earth and poo poo . I have the former part of the previous sentence figured out but what's a good source for the latter?

Was uploaded last week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3QQQu7QLoM

I doubt HDR is supported, but clearly NASA dudes like to get stoned too, cause the music is appropriate. :350:

Older, more colours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tmbeLTHC_0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Taima posted:

Please report back if you do get the 48cx, super curious how people are setting it up and getting along with it, generally speaking.

If I do, it'll be months. I got a lot of other crap to get out of the way if I want to start re-arranging the rooms in my house. Plus, like, motivation.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Woot have quietly readded refurbished 77" C9s for 3299.
https://electronics.woot.com/offers/lg-c9-77-4k-smart-oled-tv-ai-thinq-1?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

5% back with eBates!

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I would really like details of a refurbished OLED before plopping down $3k +

The real question

Nintendo refurbished or mall kiosk refurbished?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I got a C9 55 through Woot. YMMV of course but I mine shipped from a third party refurbisher. Mine was largely flawless except for some scratches on the base. Screen was perfect, screen protector plastic on front and back. You get a 90 day warranty through Woot which in my previous experience with non TVs is painless just keep in mind they may be out of stock and if you want a replacement instead of refund they might not have one. And can buy an additional square trade one if you think it's worth it and can buy after your purchase but after researching Square trade I opted against it. Yep it's a bit of a gamble but if you know what you're getting into the trade offs may be worth it to save a lot. But again YMMV.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
My $200 drat dollar fiber-optic HDMI cable finally arrived, and after connecting it to my PC and television, all I have to say is "yep, that's an HDMI cable."

At least I'm future-proofed for awhile. In the meantime, even though I can technically display 4k 120fps content on my TV now, the sacrifices I'd have to make elsewhere to get it running on a vanilla gtx2080 would probably make it not worthwhile.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m not looking forward to the moment after I get a 4K TV where I realize “drat, I gotta upgrade my receiver to handle 4K.” I’ve already prepped my wife for that conversation, as long as I can find a receiver that fits the requirements.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Almost Smart posted:

My $200 drat dollar fiber-optic HDMI cable finally arrived, and after connecting it to my PC and television, all I have to say is "yep, that's an HDMI cable."

At least I'm future-proofed for awhile. In the meantime, even though I can technically display 4k 120fps content on my TV now, the sacrifices I'd have to make elsewhere to get it running on a vanilla gtx2080 would probably make it not worthwhile.

$200 for an HDMI cable? Why?

devmd01 posted:

I’m not looking forward to the moment after I get a 4K TV where I realize “drat, I gotta upgrade my receiver to handle 4K.” I’ve already prepped my wife for that conversation, as long as I can find a receiver that fits the requirements.

I'm still using my old 1080p receiver with my E9. Planning on picking up a Denon when one finally goes on sale again. Then I have to upgrade the Apple TV.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Residency Evil posted:

$200 for an HDMI cable? Why?

I needed about 12 feet of cable to run from my PC to the television, and wanted a 48 Gbps cable for full compatibility with HDMI 2.1 spec. Cables up to about 10 feet or so are priced reasonably, but once you cross that threshold, you get into limited user-base and active cable territory.

That's when prices get stupid. Funnily enough, I could have got a 200 foot long cable for about $15 more than I paid for the 20 footer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, once you go past a certain length, you need an active cable rather than a standard passive one, though I haven't done much research on it yet.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I've been enjoying some PC gaming on my c9 and honestly every single game that has an uncapped framerate I've been playing it at 1440p @ 120hz instead of 4k. The smoothness of 120fps with Gsync is unbelievable. I have no loving idea how on earth I am ever going to return to console gaming after this. It feels like sort of a waste not enjoying games at 4k but I just value this kind of performance and smoothness over the resolution any day of the week.

I like 120fps so much I am probably going to buy the RTX 3000 series whenever it comes out just so I can see what 4k @ 120 is like. I'm also tired of changing my resolution in windows constantly between capped and uncapped games.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Red Warrior posted:

Check and see if there are other audio formats in your file, probably be a 5.1 track in there also I would hope, select that in Plex.

Gonna Send It posted:

Also try setting it to TV internal speakers if you think the TV -> ATV association is causing it to trigger transcoding; I highly doubt it though. The TV should accept the DTS-MA or Dolby True HD without issue and then pass it on via optical as DD. This is what mine was doing over eARC when I had eARC set to auto instead of bitstream (I know it's not the same, but as you can see the TV is capable of transcoding the audio).

I’ll give these a try, thanks. (Pretty sure the only other audio track in this particular file is the commentary but i will see)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm kind of eyeballing a 65 inch Samsung TU8000. Picture looked real nice to me at target and I've been very happy with the 2 Samsung TV's I've owned. Is there any reason I should steer clear of it or be looking at something else in the price range?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Unless you plan on only using it for gaming or in a lit room, the TU8000 isn't good value for money compared to last year's RU8000, the TCL 615/625, or Hisense's latest offerings: the H9F, and the H8G. The H9G is another $200 on Amazon, if price is a factor.

Samsung has been downgrading their mid and budget level products for the last few years, allowing Chinese manufacturers to catch up.

It's not that it's bad, it's just not as good as other offerings at the same price level, and doesn't use a quantum dot layer for a wider gamut/better accuracy.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 5, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I just don't see anything to be be gained with non Q series Samsung TVs. They are literally beaten in every aspect by TCL or Hisense. And the UI is patently offensive. Get the TCL or Hisense

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

beep by grandpa posted:

I've been enjoying some PC gaming on my c9 and honestly every single game that has an uncapped framerate I've been playing it at 1440p @ 120hz instead of 4k. The smoothness of 120fps with Gsync is unbelievable. I have no loving idea how on earth I am ever going to return to console gaming after this. It feels like sort of a waste not enjoying games at 4k but I just value this kind of performance and smoothness over the resolution any day of the week.

I like 120fps so much I am probably going to buy the RTX 3000 series whenever it comes out just so I can see what 4k @ 120 is like. I'm also tired of changing my resolution in windows constantly between capped and uncapped games.

Grats. Afaik we’re the only 2 people who GSync Game on our OLEDs on SA.

1440@120 is great if you are sitting further away from the tv. If you’re sitting in the true 4k sweet spot (which is like 6-8 feet away) it’s unfortunately too pixelated for my taste. On the 65+ at least.

Also definitely buying a 3080 the second they drop for 4k/120.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
People sleep on motion resolution big time. There's precious few ways to increase it. Higher refresh rates, faster pixel response times, and black frame insertion modes are about all we have.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok thanks for the info guys. I just went to best buy and the guy was really helpful and now I feel like I actually understand what I'm looking for TV shopping since everything has changed since the last time I bought a new TV. I have a better idea of why the price ranges on 4K TVs vary so much now. He also said the TCL was probably the best pick at that price range.

I guess the thing for me is that I've owned 2 Samsung TV's and just been really happy with them. My first one in 2007 or so and my parents still use it as their main TV and it works great. Then about 4 years ago I bought a 65 inch 2013 model from a friend that is still so drat good it's almost hard to want to upgrade, but ultimately I know I'm gonna want to get a 4K for PS5, and I'd rather space the purchases out.

Looking at the refresh rates and HDR 10 vs 8, the TCL seems like a much better buy, but I'm still a bit stuck at the fact that I can be a bit of a brand loyalist and also the new Samsung TV's look drat slick while the TCLs are really chunky looking imo. Not that it ultimately matters but I'm weird like that. Which brings me to considering this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-q60t-series-4k-uhd-tv-smart-led-with-hdr/6401714.p?skuId=6401714
It's 200 bux more and as far as I can tell pretty much identical to the TCL at the $750 price point? Unless I'm missing something?

I dunno, maybe I'm just being dumb. I am planning on going back tomorrow and deciding because I seriously couldn't decide between the two and now I'm leaning into just paying a little more because I'm hung up on the Samsung thing lol.

Also gently caress the new OLEDs look so nice, I wish they weren't so out of my price range.

E: fwiw I still might very well go with the TCL I'm just stubborn.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 5, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

veni veni veni posted:

Ok thanks for the info guys. I just went to best buy and the guy was really helpful and now I feel like I actually understand what I'm looking for TV shopping since everything has changed since the last time I bought a new TV. I have a better idea of why the price ranges on 4K TVs vary so much now. He also said the TCL was probably the best pick at that price range.

I guess the thing for me is that I've owned 2 Samsung TV's and just been really happy with them. My first one in 2007 or so and my parents still use it as their main TV and it works great. Then about 4 years ago I bought a 65 inch 2013 model from a friend that is still so drat good it's almost hard to want to upgrade, but ultimately I know I'm gonna want to get a 4K for PS5, and I'd rather space the purchases out.

Looking at the refresh rates and HDR 10 vs 8, the TCL seems like a much better buy, but I'm still a bit stuck at the fact that I can be a bit of a brand loyalist and also the new Samsung TV's look drat slick while the TCLs are really chunky looking imo. Not that it ultimately matters but I'm weird like that. Which brings me to considering this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-65-class-q60t-series-4k-uhd-tv-smart-led-with-hdr/6401714.p?skuId=6401714
It's 200 bux more and as far as I can tell pretty much identical to the TCL at the $750 price point? Unless I'm missing something?

I dunno, maybe I'm just being dumb. I am planning on going back tomorrow and deciding because I seriously couldn't decide between the two and now I'm leaning into just paying a little more because I'm hung up on the Samsung thing lol.

Also gently caress the new OLEDs look so nice, I wish they weren't so out of my price range.

E: fwiw I still might very well go with the TCL I'm just stubborn.

As someone that uses the new TCLs at home and some new Samsung's at work, I'd go TCL just because the quality, especially when compared to the lower caliber Q60 series, is better for the price. Also the Samsung UI has me yellin' "what the gently caress?!" on a normal basis. It's like the poorest of design philosophies.

I get brand loyalty, but the Samsung of today - TV wise - is not the Samsung of even 10 years ago. If you went high level Q Series (70 or higher) you'll get a great set. Everything else is just "ditch for the TCL or Hisense".

Not sure about the design either. I have the TCL 6 series and it's sleek and nice? Maybe if you compare the profiles something would look a little different? But you won't do that. If you think about looking at it front on, the 6 series is pretty drat sleek.

In short - don't get the Samsung. Just don't.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-price/under-1000

Also look at this maybe

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Taima posted:

Grats. Afaik we’re the only 2 people who GSync Game on our OLEDs on SA.

1440@120 is great if you are sitting further away from the tv. If you’re sitting in the true 4k sweet spot (which is like 6-8 feet away) it’s unfortunately too pixelated for my taste. On the 65+ at least.

Also definitely buying a 3080 the second they drop for 4k/120.

I'll be joining you in a couple of months. I have a 65" C8 for my main TV usage, and I'm going to get the 48" CX once I get the 3080TI, because if I'm dropping that cash for a card, gosh dangit it needs to drive something that can handle it.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

vanilla slimfast posted:

I’ll give these a try, thanks. (Pretty sure the only other audio track in this particular file is the commentary but i will see)

Turns out there is a plain old DD 5.1 audio track in the file too. Picked that for playback and it direct streams, no problem.

I guess the lack of native TrueHD support in the AppleTV is a known limitation right now

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
For those of you who are PC gaming at high refresh rates on your TVs: what HDMI cable are you using? I have this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8TOTC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_n5vaFbGHVH0P9

And I could never get Windows 10 to recognize my X900F at higher than 60hz. My first thought is that my cable is too long at 15ft.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I get brand loyalty, but the Samsung of today - TV wise - is not the Samsung of even 10 years ago. If you went high level Q Series (70 or higher) you'll get a great set. Everything else is just "ditch for the TCL or Hisense".

In short - don't get the Samsung. Just don't.

You need to get the Q80 minimum to even get local dimming anymore.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Truman Sticks posted:

And I could never get Windows 10 to recognize my X900F at higher than 60hz. My first thought is that my cable is too long at 15ft.

Per RTINGS the 900F supports 1080P and 1440P at 120hz but doesn't expose it via EDID. You need to force it in your video card's control panel.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm running a 3570K and GTX 970 and 2x27" 1440p monitors. I've never experienced gaming above 60Hz. :smith:

e: I forgot my PQ65 supports 1080p @ 120Hz so if I ever put my PC in the living room, I could at least see what >60Hz is like.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 5, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Dilber posted:

I'll be joining you in a couple of months. I have a 65" C8 for my main TV usage, and I'm going to get the 48" CX once I get the 3080TI, because if I'm dropping that cash for a card, gosh dangit it needs to drive something that can handle it.

Sweet! You’re going to love it. Give us a holler if you have any questions or otherwise just want to high five once it arrives.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Reading this thread has shown me some interesting things about Home Entertainment.

Like from looking at this thread and reviews as a result of this, I see "yeah you can get a really good high end TV for under 2K."

I then go to the Audio thread to see how much a good sound system costs. And the consensus is like "yeah you can get a Soundbar. And that's fine if you live in a sboebox of an apartment.
Otherwise 1-3K to get a surround sound system that's not garbage. Also never buy a prepackaged 5.1 box system."

Like it seems there is a crazy disconnect between the two. A TV that expensive you can see where the money is.
But a sound system? It really seems hard to justify it. (Apart from the fact that a sound system will probably last longer than a TV will.)

Oh well.

Also these Roku boxes/Amazon Fire Cubes. What's the appeal to them?
I just use my Playstation to launch my Netflix/Amazon apps. Are these things much better?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm no expert in either dept, but if there is one thing I do know its not to take advice from audiophiles any more than you'd take advice from the other thing that ends with ophiles.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Question IRL posted:

Reading this thread has shown me some interesting things about Home Entertainment.

Oh well.

I just use my Playstation to launch my Netflix/Amazon apps. Are these things much better?
I enjoy the simplicity of the Roku. Our bedroom TV is an older model with 3D but without built-in WiFi and it's easier to just hook a Roku into it than getting a WiFi bridge or spending the $60 it costs to get a WiFi dongle for it to use the selection of apps that more than likely stopped updating in 2016.
I also find the PS to be kind of overkill if I'm just looking for some trash anime to stream or whatever.

Audio's a much more weird chase than TV image. I have an older 7.1 receiver and a mishmash of speakers. My wife hates the cables and the myriad sound modes so I just plopped a Vizio sound bar and wireless surrounds/sub into the living room and it's good. But during Winter I plopped the old receiver and speakers into place and the difference was just astronomical (more defined audio, better able to place discrete locations, more fidelity, etc). I would absolutely love to have that going all the time but the inconvenience of it is just a deal breaker.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah don’t buy a htib but I think a grand for a whole 5.1 system is reasonable. And yeah get a soundbar if that’s too much money, there’s nothing wrong with them.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

55" BX $1497 shipped - includes $140 in Visa gift cards

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The Question IRL posted:

I did the same for a long time, but as my PlayStation has gotten older the UI has been super sluggish. The Roku is nice and responsive

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks for the info guys. I can't find a single rec online that doesn't say to avoid lower end Samsungs so I guess I will be going with the TCL 6 series.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks for the info guys. I can't find a single rec online that doesn't say to avoid lower end Samsungs so I guess I will be going with the TCL 6 series.

I get wanting to stick with a brand; if The Frame ™ had the same picture quality as the Hisense flagships I'd totally go for it. I've had zero problems with my post-harmon kardon acquisition soundbar system.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

Like from looking at this thread and reviews as a result of this, I see "yeah you can get a really good high end TV for under 2K."

I then go to the Audio thread to see how much a good sound system costs. And the consensus is like "yeah you can get a Soundbar. And that's fine if you live in a sboebox of an apartment.
Otherwise 1-3K to get a surround sound system that's not garbage. Also never buy a prepackaged 5.1 box system."

Like it seems there is a crazy disconnect between the two. A TV that expensive you can see where the money is.
But a sound system? It really seems hard to justify it. (Apart from the fact that a sound system will probably last longer than a TV.
Good surround sound takes a lot of work and potentially compromise no matter how cheap or expensive the components are. Positioning of the speakers and seating is the most important thing in home audio. A tv you just put on a flat surface or wall where you can see it but audio needs to interact with the room, furniture, floors, etc. which makes it more complicated. Integrating a sub is pretty tough too. I’m hoping the rapidly improving state of room correction and auto calibration will help a lot. There’s also a bit of a price floor, buying new receivers under around 300, speakers under 100 each and subs under 250 or so is an absolute minefield. This is why I always suggest people start with 2.0 and build as they see fit. The difference between the 2” drivers in most sound bars and any old 5-6” woofer is staggering.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Can you get good quality non UHD/4k tvs these days? I'm looking for a ~ 40 inches HD tv.

I had this TV : (toshiba 39L1350UC) https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-39l1350uc-l1350-series-39-led-tv-full-hd/ but one of my sons just broke it.
This TV was good enough for my needs, the only thing I hated was the number of HDMI ports

Will buying any cheap Samsung, LG, TCL, HiSense or Sony HDTV be just as good or is there anything I need to try and avoid?

The TV will be used with normal cable TV and a computer plugged in through an HDMI port. I have no need for any smart functions. I have a SONOS playbar for the sound.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 6, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The market for 1080p tvs is pretty much the sub-40 range.

You can probably find a "dumb" tv in a business store but it won't be cheap.

Here's one stab at it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GB61TQR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_my5aFbRV0SBH4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

What’s your budget, and are you trying to cut costs by going non4k/nonsmart? Def no savings to be had avoiding smart features (if you could).