Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I know there was a 60fps trailer floating around youtube that some fan created from the 4k blu-rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

god this blows posted:

I think only the Panasonic and Sony OLEDs have good motion processing. I love the picture on the tv more than my plasma so I deal with it. I refuse to use the soap opera mode and my understanding is that it is something that theoretically could be fixed with some software tweaks. The Vizio is a 2 yr model year so they have plenty of time to work on it. I got mine for under $1000 so I really can’t complain.

Just an update again in that I wanted to make you feel a bit better in that my LG OLED65C8PUA, which is a 2019 model, handles motion really poorly. I never really noticed it until you told me about it (it's in our sunroom so we don't really use it much; the plasma is in the living room and bedroom and the projector is in the basement) but I just tried Ghostbusters on a 4k UHD Bluray player and it looked pretty drat bad when panning left and right. It was ridiculously jerky.

Like you I still prefer it over the soap opera filtering which literally makes me dizzy when it's on, but having it off is no picnic either. And I paid 2x as much for my TV.

I still love OLED but it looks like plasma is still the best flat panel technology from what I can see, at least for watching movies.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

There's absolutely nothing that says the LOTR IMAX release is going to be 60fps.

They're just showing the 4k remaster on the biggest screen in the theater. That's it.

Given the bad reception the HFR Hobbit got, there's no way they would turn people away with an interpolated HFR version of LOTR at a time when they are trying everything to get people in theaters.

I was wondering -- I searched after I read the post and didn't find anything. I'd definitely watch the trilogy again in theaters. Bonus that the screenshots of the new color grading don't bother me.

I saw The Hobbit in both versions, and the HFR didn't bother me as much after an adjustment period. However, it worked best in scenes with lots of shadows and highlights; in more ambiently-lit scenes it looked like the world's most expensive stage production. HFR absolutely shone where CGI was prevalent, though. The CGI for many characters looked downright bad in the 24 FPS version, but the scenes looked great at 48FPS. The side-by-side YouTube videos for The Lord of the Rings appear similar to me in that regard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HFR Hobbit made me nauseous and ensured I will never see a HFR movie in the theaters again, At on top of that, it made it look cheap (and like you say, a stage production) to boot.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

I know there was a 60fps trailer floating around youtube that some fan created from the 4k blu-rays.

No it was like a news post that showed up in my Google Discover feed on my phone. However that can pull from sketchy sources a lot so it was probably just some ill informed nonsense.

edit: I mean or I just absolutely misread something which is totally possible.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was at KFC couple weeks ago and they have paper straws here now and a lady stormed out to her car to get a plastic one cause she "just cant use the paper ones". Saying you cant look at the soap opera effect is pretty much the same as that. SOE makes things look more natural, real life isn't in slow motion the way film has unfortunately almost always been. Artifacting is unfortunate but its a worthwhile tradeoff. You dont watch sports and say "man, I really wish this was broadcast in 23.43892748392748932 fps right now, would be so much nicer" why cling to film and TV being stuck like that? Has to be fixed eventually. Its just one of those things where old school flimmakers are holding things back, once they croak I gotta believe things will improve.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

codo27 posted:

I was at KFC couple weeks ago and they have paper straws here now and a lady stormed out to her car to get a plastic one cause she "just cant use the paper ones". Saying you cant look at the soap opera effect is pretty much the same as that. SOE makes things look more natural, real life isn't in slow motion the way film has unfortunately almost always been. Artifacting is unfortunate but its a worthwhile tradeoff. You dont watch sports and say "man, I really wish this was broadcast in 23.43892748392748932 fps right now, would be so much nicer" why cling to film and TV being stuck like that? Has to be fixed eventually. Its just one of those things where old school flimmakers are holding things back, once they croak I gotta believe things will improve.
:wrong:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's also about 200% cheaper to film and edit at 24fps. Cash rules everything. That "film look" is here to stay.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

Helluva take.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

codo27 posted:

source ur quotes

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I'm sure this has been asked somewhere in the thread but I'm not sure if the answer will have changed since being asked and I'm lazy etc etc.

Best OLED to buy if I do not give a crap about console gaming? Use case is 90%+ streaming through an Amazon Fire TV. Either streaming prime video, various other apps through their selection or (mostly) using plex to stream files from my PC.

Just get the latest LG, or should I be considering Sony or Vizio at all?

Given that use case - any reason to wait for the C1s assuming LG is the way to go?

Edit : I guess I should add - thinking likely 65" though 77" isn't out of the question.

VVVV Thanks. I immediately realize that I have no knowledge of the Sony and Vizio product lines. Have just followed LG for a while and drat it seems easier.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 19, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If you're a movie lover, the Sony.

If you just want OLED quality image, go Vizio.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Oddly enough I don't see it anywhere. Are my Shield settings different than yours? It's the 2nd latest version (2017 I believe?)

Is any of that what you mean?

This didn't work unfortunately (0 stations detected) but you reminded me that I had one of those coaxial FM antenna wires dangling out of the back of my receiver so I plugged that into the TV and sure enough it picked up three stations.

A nice bonus is I can now unplug it and now all the TV does is whine about not finding a signal so it solved my issue and I don't even need to keep it plugged in! So now I can do it to my other kid's TV, then plug it back into my receiver where it belongs.

You just saved me like thirty bucks and no longer the need to have something plugged into the back of the TV at all times! 🍻

If it makes you feel better, I just checked this on my LG OLED65C8PUA, and I notice the stutter as well! I figured it was just because it was a 24p Blu-ray (Adventures in Babysitting lol) but yeah the stutter is there plain as day on my LG OLED. So no need to blame your Vizio.

The rest of the TVs in my house are plasmas and I just checked and they have zero stutter in the same movie/scene. You brought something to my attention I wasn't even aware of.

The funny thing is none of my plasmas are new enough to have 120hz or any of that soap opera filtering, so I wonder why I don't see it on them?

The only complaint I have about my LG OLED is it seems a bit darker than my plasmas. I have power saving off and all that stuff, so maybe this is what's causing it. Thank you for the info!

I found turning on "Real Cinema" mode on my LG CX gets rid of judder/stutter without adding SOE. If that is an option for your model you might try it.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
If I were to move my 65" LG B8 what would be a fair price?

No screen issues, burn in, or other defects.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

codo27 posted:

Nope.

HFR has been tried for like half a century. It keeps getting rejected by audiences. 24fps started as an economical and technical limitation, but it's firmly baked into the public consciousness now.

The higher the framerate, the more like a stage production or cheap video production the perception is. That's not changing anytime soon, not as long as the primary way we view media is in a fixed box some distance in front of our eyes. Motion matters when it comes to portraying stuff. That's why miniatures are shot at higher framerate and then slowed down for display to give them a greater sense of weight. When you look beyond the origins, there are real psychological reasons why 24fps isn't going anywhere.

Also, with the reliance on CG in modern movies, we have a LONG way to go before we can animate realistic CG objects at higher frame rates and not have it look like a weightless video game.

The live event argument is a strawman. Live events are real things, movies are not. Trying to make movies too real has the opposite effect on the audience often times. Do you think everything in movies should be rendered in realistic colors as well? Flat, natural looking color grading, no stylistic flair? What about field of view? Should we call on directors to only film stuff with 50mm lenses to more accurately reflect a human's field of view and proportions? All of that makes it more "real" too.

And no, the artifacts created by frame interpolation are not worth it. It's garbage. The glitches are eyesores that yank you right out of whatever you are watching. It's massively distracting, I can't even tolerate having the lowest setting turned on with my oled because the glitches are so prominent.

In other framerate news, I'm delighted to discover that the Chromecast with GoogleTV has a 1080i60 output! This is important since forcing it to 24fps mode isn't always feasible and my C6 can only utilize Real Cinema (native 3:2 undoing) on 1080i60 inputs. It's now my go to device for HD SDR content because of that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also a lot of paper straws do, in fact, loving suck real bad.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kilazar posted:

I found turning on "Real Cinema" mode on my LG CX gets rid of judder/stutter without adding SOE. If that is an option for your model you might try it.

I just checked and I only have Cinema and Home Cinema on my OLED65C8PUA. Sucks. I should have waited before buying it. I appreciate the tip regardless though.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I think those are color/brightness settings. Real Cinema definitely exists on the C8. It's buried in one of the advanced menus.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Martman posted:

They only suck if you have your drink sitting around for 40 minutes.

Though yeah, the mouthpiece gets kind of floppy towards the end.

I like the Starbucks cups with the built-in drink flap thing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

They only suck if you have your drink sitting around for 40 minutes.

Though yeah, the mouthpiece gets kind of floppy towards the end.

I like the Starbucks cups with the built-in drink flap thing.

These are very inconvenient for drinking while driving

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snow Cone Capone posted:

These are very inconvenient for drinking while driving
Carry silicon/metal straws in the car's glovebox?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Martman posted:

Yeah they suck, but they were a stepping stone and now I'm seeing the agave ones around more often and they're excellent.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I drink from a big glass with my wife

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Carry silicon/metal straws in the car's glovebox?

not paper straws, those no-straw sippy cup lids they do now.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

FilthyImp posted:

Unless you’re in Canada, because Vizio don’t sell to Canada anymore.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

If you're a movie lover, the Sony.

Movies are maybe 1/4 of what my wife and I watch. Mostly just standard binge watching of shows. Some MLB games now and then through their streaming service.

Evis posted:

Not an issue.

Looking around a bit now and the price difference between the two at 77" is too big to ignore. I may not intend to ever hook up a console, but I don't watch nonstop movies either.

Seeing the 77" CX at buydig for $3300 with a $400 gift card. So $2900. Optional Squaretrade 3 and 4 year warranties at $260 and $350. I know they don't cover burn in, but I'm not overly worried about that considering my expected use. So call that $2850 with a 4 year Squaretrade plan.

Costso at $3250. Free three year Allstate Protection added to their standaard doubling of the manufacturers warranty and it's $3250 with 5 years of a combo warranty.

Any particular reason to go with Costco over Buydig?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I asked this in the HTPC thread but the question is more appropriate for this thread, has anyone used fiber-optic HDMI 2.1 cables? I need to run longer than 20 feet and 2.1 doesn't go past a couple metres.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s still an HTPC thread? Huh, wasn’t expecting that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Evis posted:

Can't get them at Costco anymore?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I went to Best Buy to check out new TVs in person for the first time in a decade and couldn’t see any difference in picture quality between the LG CX and the Sony x900h in the demo footage with the teapot and the honeycomb. People describe the CX as being in a different league, so is it likely that the advantages of OLED just weren’t visible in the super brightly lit store? Or do I not have a discerning eye?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sony's got good image processing but there's a bunch of factors at play (store lighting, demo settings, what's being fed into them) that could make them seem pretty even.

Honestly the whole "OLED achieves true black" thing is amazing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tacier posted:

I went to Best Buy to check out new TVs in person for the first time in a decade and couldn’t see any difference in picture quality between the LG CX and the Sony x900h in the demo footage with the teapot and the honeycomb. People describe the CX as being in a different league, so is it likely that the advantages of OLED just weren’t visible in the super brightly lit store? Or do I not have a discerning eye?

Viewing angles (every LCD I've ever seen turns purple at some point when viewed at an angle) and the black levels are what does it for me.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mister Facetious posted:

Can't get them at Costco anymore?

Nope. They stopped selling anything in Canada for some reason.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Even in store you oughta be able to tell the difference in the OLED and the 900h, but best buy is horse poo poo and probably have coax hooked up to all the demo models. That said, the manufacturer demos they are supposed to run in store aren't really fair appraisals either, little will be able to look as good as that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol my Best Buy is loving awful half the TVs are always just sitting on their main menus instead of actually showing content

e: also I dunno what the gently caress they did but last time I was there the 65" 4-series was displaying a better picture than the 5 and 6-series they had out

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Does anyone know where I can buy a TCL 8 series? I literally cannot find a 65" in stock anywhere.

The best I can do is a R635 6-series from Walmart with 2 week shipping.

I'm in the great state of Missouri if that helps any.

Edit: In fact, it's kinda hard to find any higher end QLED TVs. It's either go OLED or drop off the quality I'm looking for.

Spaghett fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 20, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So I was able to solve the issue of movies having way too much "stuttering" in scenes where the image was panning horizontally on my LG OLED65C8PUA. Turning motion smoothing on was never really an option for me because I'd take stuttering/juttering over the "soap opera effect" any way but it was still jarring.

Anyway I am posting this in case it helps anyone else.

You have to select a preset such as Cinema/Home Cinema (it will not work with game mode), and then go deep into the all settings menu (where all the settings are, not just the quick settings) and inside of picture settings there will be something called TruMotion which you will have to change to "User". Then you will now have access to more options like "De-judder" and "De-blur". Change de-judder to 2, and de-blur to 0, and there you have it. Plasma-quality levels of motion handling with no soap opera effect.

No clue why this is so hidden, it took me a good 45 minutes to figure this out. But hopefully this post saves someone out there some time some day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I feel bad because I saw your post and I meant to go over some things with you, as your experience always seemed off. I’m glad you got to the bottom of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Microcenter has the 55" CX for $999 while supplies last in-store pickup only, no shipping.