Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay_crimes
Apr 12, 2008

VectorSigma posted:

How sensitive are you to sound latency? The CX adds 60-ish ms lag to any audio passing through it, even with eARC. This isn't an issue with video content, but with real-time output you'll definitely see things like gunshot sounds occurring noticeably later than the muzzle flash.

Yeah, I looked into eARC and noticed the smallest bit of lag.

The 120 came to mind for THPS, but also when I'm playing pc games on the TV. Seems like I'll need to bite the bullet and upgrade my receiver at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Kaddish posted:

Are there actually games on PS5 that are supposed to run at 4K/120?

Not at 4k native, but there are games that support 120hz like Call of Duty, Fortnite and Dirt, some of those run at a higher than 1080p resolution too.

Tacier
Jul 21, 2003

VectorSigma posted:

How sensitive are you to sound latency? The CX adds 60-ish ms lag to any audio passing through it, even with eARC. This isn't an issue with video content, but with real-time output you'll definitely see things like gunshot sounds occurring noticeably later than the muzzle flash.

Are there TVs that donít have this latency issue with eARC or is it just part of the deal?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!

Installed the Peacock app and 2 hours laterÖ a stuck pixel! Coincidence? Yeah probably, but annoying nonetheless. Hopefully itíll unstick at some point.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You're Goddamned right I support Medicare for all.

Via Engadget:

quote:

After going a long time without any hardware updates, Logitech has finally announced what many of us suspected was coming. TechHive points out a post on the support forums confirming that Logitech will no longer manufacture Harmony remotes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That really really sucks since there's nothing else in the market even close.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

I've gotten used to using activities. Hopefully my remote doesn't suddenly die.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

I could get by with Alexa and the phone app, but if the hub died... ugh.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.

Fun Shoe

loving hell. I guess this was inevitable due to smart TVs and streaming covering most people's needs but it still sucks for people with an AVR and several devices like me. HDMI-CEC is still a buggy crapshoot and I really don't want to use my massive Sony TV remote in general.

I need to pick up a spare Companion before they're all sold off.

Is there anything else on the market like the harmony line?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Without me, there is no mission.
I am the mission!

gently caress and I literally posted in here like this week asking if they're still the best option. Guess I'm going to have to have like 5 remotes soon?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CEC has been generally great for me but since I remodeled the living room and moved everything a month or two ago, now when I turn on the Shield my TV turns on but then full reboots every time, so thats cool.

gently caress logitech but aside from the above issue I just rely on CEC and sometimes phone apps to control things when I need them. What do you all have in your setups? I just have TV, AVR, Shield, XSX and PS3.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Without me, there is no mission.
I am the mission!

LG TV, Pioneer receiver, Xbox One, PS5, Switch, gaming PC, record player, Apple TV, and Fire Stick.

Not looking forward to this change.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

Game controllers power on the consoles which then power on the TV and set it to the correct input. TV remote controls the volume of the receiver. CEC ftw.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, LG TV, Shield 2019, Google TV, Roku, Pioneer dp-ub820.

I've never seen HDMI CEC reliably power on the correct components and switch to all the correct inputs. I'm not even sure how that's supposed to work when I'm jumping from one device to another when everything is already powered on.

Really hope someone steps into the market and picks up the slack because a remote without activities is a nightmare in usability.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I've never seen HDMI CEC reliably power on the correct components and switch to all the correct inputs. I'm not even sure how that's supposed to work when I'm jumping from one device to another when everything is already powered on.
Tell that to my cat who steps on my AppleTV remote while I'm watching the tense basketball game on my cable box.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, LG TV, Shield 2019, Google TV, Roku, Pioneer dp-ub820.

Really hope someone steps into the market and picks up the slack because a remote without activities is a nightmare in usability.

See aside from my above issue of late, it works perfect for me. Are you sure its enabled on every device? Firmware updated?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes all firmware is updated. CEC is still poo poo if you have anything more complex than a 1 or 2 device use case. Inputs across the whole chain don't always switch or they'll switch automatically when a device decides to wake up to do other things like update.

That's not too mention other macros and such that I have programmed to do more complex functions.

I just have to hope that my two hubs last forever.

American McGay posted:

Tell that to my cat who steps on my AppleTV remote while I'm watching the tense basketball game on my cable box.

That seems like a compelling example why it's an issue.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thoughts on wall mount vs. on an entertainment center stand? I have a 55" TCL 6 series on a stand right now, soon I'm moving into a condo I own for the first time so might be looking to wall mount. Is wall mount the far-and-away goon favorite?

Right now there's no room for a sound bar underneath, so might be looking to add that if I put it on the wall.

Previous owner went the wall mount route: