Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 18, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

My parents want a 55" tv for netflix, blurays, etc. Budget is around $4-500. How would this do: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-7-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6401735.p?skuId=6401735

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You're Goddamned right I support Medicare for all.

Mouse Cadet posted:

My parents want a 55" tv for netflix, blurays, etc. Budget is around $4-500. How would this do: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-7-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6401735.p?skuId=6401735

You want this for about $30 more:
TCL 535 - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-5-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv/6422766.p?skuId=6422766

Actually qled, has local dimming, and has better black levels.

Another option for the same price is the Hisense H8G - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-55-class-h8g-quantum-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6403994.p?skuId=6403994, which can get even brighter.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Samsung televisions aren't worth buying if they're not the Q8/9, Q800/900, or one of their new oled models.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 18, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yeah the TCL interface is perfect for older folks. Samsungs (especially the cheaper ones) are terrible and laggy frustrating pieces of crap.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

I endorse all of the above, I've gotten two people to get the midrange TCLs and they're super pleased with them, based on recs here and from rtings

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gonna throw up but I bought a 55 Vizio OLED.
I never buy stuff that expensive so I hope it's worth it!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

Inzombiac posted:

Congrats! What are you breaking it in with?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Inzombiac posted:

I just bought a new tv for the first time in 12 years and lemme tell ya, tilting/picking up this thin screen was absolutely nervewracking. I felt like it might break right in half and I would've cried. The LG TV stand installation needed the tv to lay face first on a table (off the ground) and tilting it back upright just kinda felt like there wasn't any way of doing it without putting pressure on it. Thankfully it's in place and intact.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FilthyImp posted:

Congrats! What are you breaking it in with?

Oh boy... probably Fury Road, a perfect movie.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's an unbelievably gorgeous movie on an OLED.

That and Planet Earth is what I use to show off mine.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

I watched Fury Road when I got my B9. It is an awesome movie to watch on an OLED. My friend recently got the Sony A90J. We watched an episode of this wildlife documentary series on Apple TV +. It's narrated by Paul Rudd. That also looked amazing.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

I bought an LG C1 today, it's really something else seeing it after using a TCL for 3 years. I'm not a big fan of the OS though, the home screen is cluttered and full of stuff I don't use. The pointy remote is also not great, but you can also use use the arrows so that's fine, wish it lit up in the dark though. Overall, well worth the money. I was going to ust get a CX, but I got the 55" C1 for $1500, so only $200 more than the CX they were selling.

My first thing I am doing is streaming a baseball game on the xfninity app lol. I'm going to try some PC games when I get my HDMI 2.1 cable though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I think it is time to move along my 2010 55Ē panny plasma.

Iím thinking 65Ē C1 or some 75Ē TCL. The tv is used many hours a day. Housewife show on during the day. Family shows and movies evenings. I donít know exactly how many hours but conservatively 8 maybe 12. Haters feel free to hate. Not a ton of gaming but some. No CNN with tickers but plenty of things with logos in the corner.

Room is bright but doesnít get direct sun.

8-10 feet depending on how far back we push the chairs. I think 75Ē like totally fills the space (weird diagonal wall, and yes itís above the weird diagonal fireplace but itís the only place where a modern TV could go (there was an alcove next to the fireplace meant for a TV back in the early 90s but itís now shelves and a small AV rack).

Am I crazy thinking that a 75Ē TCL is the right call even though I know the picture quality of the OLED is the only thing that gets close to my plasma experience?

Edit: Iím also hoping to keep this TV and the likely accompanying receiver and other upgrades for a decade if possible

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Oh boy... probably Fury Road, a perfect movie.

I'd have to agree. It's become my most watched movie since its release.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 18, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

Mister Facetious posted:

You want this for about $30 more:
TCL 535 - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-5-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv/6422766.p?skuId=6422766

Actually qled, has local dimming, and has better black levels.

Another option for the same price is the Hisense H8G - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-55-class-h8g-quantum-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6403994.p?skuId=6403994, which can get even brighter.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Samsung televisions aren't worth buying if they're not the Q8/9, Q800/900, or one of their new oled models.

Thank you, although now I'm torn between the TCL and Hisense.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I would say Hisense, but I'm not a fan of Google Assistant (it's poo poo). If your parents use something else for smart content, then don't worry about it.
The calibration menus are nicely straightforward though, and Chromecast is built in.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

For some reason the LG 2021 series still isnít available in Canada. Was looking forward to a C1 as well but not sure when itíll actually show up.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 18, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain

Mister Facetious posted:

I would say Hisense, but I'm not a fan of Google Assistant (it's poo poo). If your parents use something else for smart content, then don't worry about it.
The calibration menus are nicely straightforward though, and Chromecast is built in.

They currently use a 2014 fire stick with a 37" TV they got 9 years ago, so I think either TV will be a big upgrade.

Biggest concerns are picture quality and reliability of the TV.

They don't use Alexa, Google assistant, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

I'M JUST HERE TO KISS TITTIESS AND WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!
(AND GET EVERYBODY FIRED)

TCL 55S535 $478 shipped