Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

qirex posted:

Random question: the built-in Chromecast stopped working on my Sony X900F, I don't think there was a software update since the last time but I am on the 9.0 release. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have an x930e but the few times my Chromecast hasn't worked I just restarted and it worked perfectly. I'm sure you've restarted but have you tried resetting to factory settings (make sure to take pictures of your settings first)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I plugged my laptop into my TCL 6 series for the first time to play the dead space games, which are capped at 30 but oh hey, if you turn off Vsync they run uncapped. My laptop monitor is 144hz and the game specifies that's what I am running it at. I don't fully understand how FPS on a 6 series(2019 model) works, someone correct me if I am wrong, but it can do 120fps at 1080p? I dunno haven't used it until now, and TV marketing speak about hz confuses the hell out of me. Anyways, I am clearly playing it at around 120 FPS because it looks bonkers and the resolution looks great. It's kind of loving with my brain.

Then after about an hour the game locks up and I reboot it. It's still clearly running at 144hz on the laptop monitor and looks great, but all of a sudden it looks like dog poo poo on my TV when previously it looked amazing. I'm looking at a blurry sub-30fps image with the resolution scaled way down when it looked amazing 2 minutes earlier. I have no idea why this happened and I can't find anything in the settings to troubleshoot this. Any idea what I can do to fix it. It seems like the TV quietly changed some setting on me but I don't know where to find it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Are you mirroring your display? I'd just disable the laptop display while I'm playing. TV oughta be able to handle 120hz @ 1080 fine.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I moved into a new house and the old owners left a 50-inch Panasonic plasma TV.

I'm giving it away to someone for free but it has a power cord I've never seen before.

Anybody know what these are called? I need to find a replacement. TY.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rollie Fingers posted:

I moved into a new house and the old owners left a 50-inch Panasonic plasma TV.

I'm giving it away to someone for free but it has a power cord I've never seen before.

Anybody know what these are called? I need to find a replacement. TY.

https://hdtvparts.net/panasonic-pla...vt30-tc-p50gt30
https://ehparts.com/products/samsung-longwell-e55333-power-cable-152192-for-tc-p55vt30

Those look to be similar cords, so while both of those vendors are out of stock maybe some of the model numbers listed on those pages will help.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I've been trying to stream HBO Max to my Vizio OLED through casting and it will connect and play a few things but not very consistently.

I've been trying to watch The Suicide Squad and it tries to load, stalls at 13 seconds (without actually playing anything) and then does nothing.

Does the same thing with a lot of other movies and it's extremely annoying.

Anyone know what's up or is there a better thread?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If your television supports casting, try the mobile app and see if it's any better. The goons I game with state the hbo tv and console apps are pretty bad.

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
I have a 50LG6300 I bought 5ish years ago that just had the LEDs go out. A local shop quoted me 220-240 to fix. It works fine for my purposes but I don't really want to throw the money at it if it's going to keep falling apart. Looking for advice on if fixing it is burning money and I should just get a replacement. Not in a huge rush to upgrade but if it's not much more for something much better then it probably makes sense to just upgrade.

Thank you!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Casting is poo poo and you really want a decent actual streaming device like a Shield

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Facetious posted:

If your television supports casting, try the mobile app and see if it's any better. The goons I game with state the hbo tv and console apps are pretty bad.

Yeah maybe I wasn't clear.
The model of Vizio doesn't support the HBO app so I have the app on my phone that I try to cast to my TV.

They say that's what you're supposed to do, I dunno.

I've never had a Chromecast or something like it. What's the point?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just buy a Firestick or a Roku if you want a cheap solution. Messing about with phones is such a pain.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
The Google TV thingo is my recommendation, pretty much all the apps and just works

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aw gently caress I wish I looked in to them earlier.
A big reason I upgraded my TV was because it was using Vizio's old platform and couldn't get HBO or Disney.

Oh well. I just got two and hopefully it'll save the several but different headaches I have with these TVs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I really prefer Fire TV stick 4K to Roku. The voice controls are better and it integrates with my Echo super well.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

AquaticIguana posted:

I have a 50LG6300 I bought 5ish years ago that just had the LEDs go out. A local shop quoted me 220-240 to fix. It works fine for my purposes but I don't really want to throw the money at it if it's going to keep falling apart. Looking for advice on if fixing it is burning money and I should just get a replacement. Not in a huge rush to upgrade but if it's not much more for something much better then it probably makes sense to just upgrade.

Thank you!

Although it's unfortunate for the environment I wouldn't recommend paying that to repair it, that's literally more than it's worth.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm hella annoyed bout the Shield TV update not as much for the ads but cause I always scroll down the rows to get a feel for what I wanna watch then launch the relevant app using the app icon at the start of the row but they removed that icon and I can't find a way to turn it back on. So now I scroll through the cool flashy rows then go back to the top where I gotta rearrange the favorite app row that I was using for stuff I didn't use as often to launch to profile selection (which we use constantly) cause all the cool flashy rows launch straight to content under whoever the last profile was. Boo

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are all the one connect cables for Samsung qleds interchangeable? Samsung support says I need to get a VG-SOCR85/ZA from them for my tv, but it's out of stock and would be a couple weeks; best buy has VG-SOCR86/ZA in stock today instead. Both look like they're 2019, and I'm not sure what the difference is or if it wouldn't work. For reference I have a qn82q90r

Edit: can't speak for every cable and tv, but the 86 is for the 8k q900r, while the 85 is for the 4k q90r. The 86 works just fine on my tv, it's just a crazy amount thicker than my original cable so it doesn't fit in the cable routing trays behind the tv.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 8, 2021

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

teh_Broseph posted:

I'm hella annoyed bout the Shield TV update not as much for the ads but cause I always scroll down the rows to get a feel for what I wanna watch then launch the relevant app using the app icon at the start of the row but they removed that icon and I can't find a way to turn it back on. So now I scroll through the cool flashy rows then go back to the top where I gotta rearrange the favorite app row that I was using for stuff I didn't use as often to launch to profile selection (which we use constantly) cause all the cool flashy rows launch straight to content under whoever the last profile was. Boo

same, the update is such poo poo, and it is hosed up that companies just add ads to things years after you buy them? Like that shouldn't be allowed. gently caress nvidia

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sony 55" OLED $1,200 shipped - from Best Buy

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Interesting news if you're in the TCL price bracket:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/08/10/tcls-latest-tvs-upgrade-from-roku-to-full-blown-google-tv/

quote:

TCL's latest TVs upgrade from Roku to full-blown Google TV

Along with improved gaming performance

TCL is a huge player in the budget TV landscape. Although the company manufactures a few sets running Android, most of its offerings use Roku's software for all of your built-in entertainment needs. Back at CES, TCL promised to sell its first Google TV sometime in 2021, and with today's announcement, it's making good on that pledge.

We've previously praised Google's refreshed entertainment platform in our review of last year's Chromecast, and the new TCL 5-Series and 6-Series bring along that same experience without the need for a dongle. The company intends to continue selling all of its Roku counterparts, but the design and specs on the Google TV variants have been improved. The 5-Series, for example, features a slimmer bezel outlining its 4K QLED panel, along with variable refresh rate and an "Auto Game Mode" for lower latency while gaming.

The 6-Series, meanwhile, sees a significant improvement over the original Roku models with the inclusion of 4K at 120Hz. TCL's previous models were only able to output 1440p at 120Hz, which makes this ideal for anyone looking to future-proof their next TV for whenever they can get their hands on a PS5 or Xbox Series X. With two HDMI 2.1 inputs, you could even run both consoles at max performance without having to swap cables. Otherwise, you're getting the same fantastic mini-LED panel, just with an all-new operating system that looks and feels a whole lot more modern.

The switch to Google TV comes with full support for casting from your phone, perfect for when you don't feel like navigating through an interface with a remote. Both the 5-Series and 6-Series also include microphones for hands-free voice control built right into the television itself. A physical switch to disable always-on listening should alleviate any privacy concerns. Since the bundled remote also supports button-activated voice commands, you can still search sans keyboard without an always-active microphone in your home.

All of TCL's new Google TV sets (minus the 75" 6-Series) will go up for pre-order later today and should ship over the coming weeks. The 5-Series starts at $599 for the 50" TV, while the 6-Series starts at $949 for the 55" model. You can check all of them out at Best Buy using the links below, although the currently-listed prices are higher than TCL's suggested MSRP.

TCL 6-Series Google TV, 65" - $1,299.99
TCL 6-Series Google TV, 55" - $949.99
TCL 5-Series Google TV, 75" - $1299.99
TCL 5-Series Google TV, 65" - $899.99
TCL 5-Series Google TV, 55" - $649.99
TCL 5-Series Google TV, 50" - $599.99

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like a downgrade to me

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I much prefer the experience of my chromecast with google tv vs my tcl with roku, so that seems great to me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have to lean on my shield for casting to the TV with my current 6 series with roku so slight buyers remorse here. I had to laugh at one article I read that touted the 6 series inclusion of some THX rubber stamp, oblivious to the fact that razer now owns the label thus rendering it worthless

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fixins posted:

Currently the only way to get HDMI 2.1 though, so I'm curious if Google just straight bribed TCL to muscle Roku out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fixins posted:

If it was the older Android TV I'd say yes, but as someone that owns four Roku TVs and two of the new Google TV Chromecasts... I'd say it's a step up. Roku is just fine but the new Google TV experience is really nice.

Granted we're in the YTV ecosystem but it's still slick regardless.

I wonder how much the Roku/Google spat drove this. I'm sure it was in the works before, but I imagine it makes Roku versions seem less likely to make it to the assembly line with any rush.

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008
The thing with Google/Android TV is that it's the only one with propper app sideloading.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does Google TV come with a browser now? I know its probably to try and curb illegal streaming (and malware) but god drat is it ridiculous that devices like the Shield dont come with one when even a basic amazon fire stick does. And theirs works quite well with the way the cursor works. Obscure use case I know but I watch darts, and their official app requires tilting the screen to get full screen video. So I have to watch in browser, which is sideloaded Chrome on the Shield that I have to manually update every so often, doesn't treat video all that well, and isn't a joy to use with the controller. Its a struggle to resist putting a straight up PC in the living room sometimes

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think most people juat use puffin browser or something from the app store.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

Does Google TV come with a browser now? I know its probably to try and curb illegal streaming (and malware) but god drat is it ridiculous that devices like the Shield dont come with one when even a basic amazon fire stick does. And theirs works quite well with the way the cursor works. Obscure use case I know but I watch darts, and their official app requires tilting the screen to get full screen video. So I have to watch in browser, which is sideloaded Chrome on the Shield that I have to manually update every so often, doesn't treat video all that well, and isn't a joy to use with the controller. Its a struggle to resist putting a straight up PC in the living room sometimes

Do you really want a tv internet browser when most units only have 1-2gb of ram?

Google tv does have a bunch of mirroring apps if you want to use a phone/tablet though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fixins posted:

Especially with how finicky Google is with supporting their formats. Didn't they just kill Play TV and Movies?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

In favor of (very bad and very slow) integration with YouTube, yes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The integration with Youtube for your purchases has been there for years just very few people noticed it before. They just killed their dedicated Google Play TV and Movies for other platforms. The move was better for it because now they can do 4k HDR streaming where the older app couldn't do any of that. The old app was terrible, the integration with YouTube is better in every way.

Google TV just has that content integrated as part of your general library on the device. No separate app for it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah I've rented a few movies we couldn't find on our current streaming services from Google Play directly on the Google TV and while it's basic it works very well.

I've cast to it just fine too but it's rare because everything we use has a native app.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really don't know where to ask this but is there anything like a Tivo but isn't it? Unfortunately it's not the Homerun since that got canceled. I don't want to pay Tivo for the privilege of watching ads on everything I record but my current box is on death's door. I also still use cable TV (watch a lot of sports, so cord cutting costs more than cable).

Rick fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 12, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

C1s all sizes on sale

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WG4HKKY

BestBuy is also price matching them.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-class-c1-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6453312.p?skuId=6453312

I wish my Samsung plasma would hurry up and die!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We've got a ton of points on our cc at work and I was looking at what can be redeemed. I noticed an LG A1 OLED? Dont recall hearing that mentioned here. Was like half the points of the C1. Is it crap?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I love how RTINGS suggests an 85" TV for my 12 foot away viewing chair/couch location. :newlol:

55" is fine (but I'll go 65" when my Sony 930D dies) and a lot of the time I watch from 25 feet away at the dining table. whatever

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can't disagree with Rtings on that one.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was measuring for speaker distance for my AVR the other day and figure my head is about 9' from the TV. I have a 65 but I'd fill the whole fuckin wall if I could. So glad to get a 13" with the two knobs in my room when I was, oh, that would have been around Playstation era I guess. Wishing I could have the old rear end 4:3 big screen in the school library. I've always wanted the biggest drat screen I could get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

codo27 posted:

We've got a ton of points on our cc at work and I was looking at what can be redeemed. I noticed an LG A1 OLED? Dont recall hearing that mentioned here. Was like half the points of the C1. Is it crap?

It's not crap, but it's very basic for an OLED and doesn't get as bright as the C1. It's a 60 hz panel instead of 120, and lacks some gaming stuff (like HDMI 2.1 support, VRR etc).

If it was only 10%-15% less than a C1, it would probably make sense to spend the extra and get the C1. But if you can get it at a steep discount (relative to the C1) it might be worth it.