Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No one's talking about the nearly 4ghz refresh rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

poo poo my ZTX 99999Tx can't even push that

e: for actual content, LG OLED is game changing. We watch a lot more movies now. I've acquired a new receiver to go with my existing surround and woof.

Looking into ad free YouTube app options.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Because it's something you pretty much have to do manually, due to panel variation in the manufacturing process. So unless that's included in the price...

Don't get me wrong; as a concept it's neat, but it's going to have some technical hurdles that will require paid labor to address.

no i more meant why the heck does that thing exist. like, i don't see the point of that. if it's supposed to be techboy art or whatever then it fails at that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Not like there arenít plenty of people doing well selling tacky crap to dummies with too much money

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!

Hair Elf

TheDK posted:

poo poo my ZTX 99999Tx can't even push that

e: for actual content, LG OLED is game changing. We watch a lot more movies now. I've acquired a new receiver to go with my existing surround and woof.

Smart Tube Next posted on the previous page worked for me!

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

TheDK posted:

Get Chromecast with android TV.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

abelwingnut posted:

no i more meant why the heck does that thing exist. like, i don't see the point of that. if it's supposed to be techboy art or whatever then it fails at that.

Affluenza finds a way

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

TheDK posted:

LG OLED is game changing. We watch a lot more movies now. I've acquired a new receiver to go with my existing surround and woof.

https://rootmy.tv

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance

Pillbug

Any goon approved HDMI switches that support 4k@120, VRR, HDR, etc? I have a Q90a and it has only one fancy HDMI port, but I'm thinking about getting a Xbox Series X to go with my PS5. I'd prefer to have one that has all the ports in the back or has a remote+CEC, this rules out all of the switches like this. I was hoping for something cheaper than the Denon AVS-3 which is everything but $200, I was hoping for under $100.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There is nothing that supports HDMI 2.1 at that price as far as I know. The only thing Iíve heard of that works 100% of the time is the much more expensive HDFury Vrroom. Iím sure that will change in the future but it turns out 48gbps video switching is hard.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This is more of a home theater audio question but I think it belongs here. Any opinions on the "phantom center" setup? I have a center channel right now and it sounds kind of unnatural to me. Granted it's a different brand than my front speakers, but it's still a super nice center (Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand.)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This is more of a home theater audio question but I think it belongs here. Any opinions on the "phantom center" setup? I have a center channel right now and it sounds kind of unnatural to me. Granted it's a different brand than my front speakers, but it's still a super nice center (Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand.)

I'm a big fan but it was because I wanted to free up budget and amp headroom. If you've got one and you can't make it sound better than stereo after fiddling with position and EQ don't force it. Also maybe this specific one is just a bad match for your gear?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

hmm.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/08/lgs-97-inch-vibrating-oled-tv-claims-to-offer-5-1-audio-without-speakers/

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 9, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

So, Iím between the LGC1 and C2. I know itís basically the consensus they the C2 simply isnít worth the premium now that the C1 got itís old model price drop. But leaving cost/benefit ratio aside, is the C2 ďbetterĒ aside from the much lighter weight? Or is everything else effectively completely interchangeable?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So, Iím between the LGC1 and C2. I know itís basically the consensus they the C2 simply isnít worth the premium now that the C1 got itís old model price drop. But leaving cost/benefit ratio aside, is the C2 ďbetterĒ aside from the much lighter weight? Or is everything else effectively completely interchangeable?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c1-oled-vs-lg-c2-oled/21421/31229?usage=1&threshold=0.10

TLDR iirc is that the C2 is only worth it if the room you're using it in is so bright the C1 would be washed out, which I find very unlikely.

JohnCompany
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So, I’m between the LGC1 and C2. I know it’s basically the consensus they the C2 simply isn’t worth the premium now that the C1 got it’s old model price drop. But leaving cost/benefit ratio aside, is the C2 “better” aside from the much lighter weight? Or is everything else effectively completely interchangeable?

^^^

What he said. It is a brighter screen (~30%), but that's an improvement over something that's not at all a problem for the C1 in most watching conditions. If you're going to have it in a sunlit room or such, maybe there's a case, but otherwise the extra money won't improve anything for you.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Smellrose

How long are LG C1s going to stick around? The price is right but I need to wait a couple months before purchasing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

How long are LG C1s going to stick around? The price is right but I need to wait a couple months before purchasing.

I bought my CX in early September last year, and they were starting to get hard to find then. I couldn't get one at Costco and had to go to Best Buy to find one in stock. Few months might be pushing it, but who knows.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Gonna be tough.

Costco hit the no more restock period about a month ago.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Plague Champion

What's the best alternative to the LG C1 if I need to wait a few months?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 9, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hmm guess Iíll go for the C1 then. Thanks.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

bawfuls posted:

What's the best alternative to the LG C1 if I need to wait a few months?
check c2 prices on black friday

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL BRENDAN FRASER FAN CLUB

Yeah, I am finally ready to pull the trigger but the C2 prices are pretty drat high. :lol: They have the 77" C1 here in :canada: for $3800 or so which is fine but the C2 is double. I'll just have to save more for the C2 I guess.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

why are samsung tv bad again? iím intrigued by the matte panel of their latest version of the frame.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, I am finally ready to pull the trigger but the C2 prices are pretty drat high. :lol: They have the 77" C1 here in :canada: for $3800 or so which is fine but the C2 is double. I'll just have to save more for the C2 I guess.

That price is about $3000 USD. Do your prices include taxes? If so, the comparable taxed price in the US is $2830 USD, and is near parity with your price.

Iíd look at the link I posted above, but there is no loving way that id buy a C2 at double the price of the C1.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

why are samsung tv bad again? iím intrigued by the matte panel of their latest version of the frame.

They're not bad so much as overpriced for the quality they're offering. If you're not buying an 8 or 9 series qled, or their q-oled models, you're paying too much.

The Frame costs more than a seven series but is roughly equivalent in picture quality/color gamut/black levels. You have to be sure you want it as a decorative, always-on digital art installation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, their premium TVs aren't BAD, but they are bad value.

It's basically do you want to spend 150% more for 0-5% better specs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

C'mon man, this isn't about your boring D&D opinions. God love ya', but learn to use spoiler tags appropriately.

Jade Ear Joe

Also the UX experience is just plain hot garbage.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL BRENDAN FRASER FAN CLUB

Ok I loving lied. I double checked cause I wanted to show the prices. The 83Ē is double. Sorry for misinformation. :( itís only $700 more.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Nope

BonoMan posted:

Samsing Firmware Updates cause OK tvs to run about as well as the menu pages I. Ocarina of Time. It's hideous what they do with anything 2 years or older

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Ok I loving lied. I double checked cause I wanted to show the prices. The 83Ē is double. Sorry for misinformation. :( itís only $700 more.

I got my current tv delivered by Visions. No complaints, other than it was overpriced compared to the American msrp. :canada:

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

BonoMan posted:

I have LG C1. Are you saying there is something worse than that?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

MikusR posted:

I have LG C1. Are you saying there is something worse than that?

I dunno if it's different on the high end models, but gj LG on creating a ui that blocks the bottom third of the loving test pattern when trying to do a basic calibration. :downsbravo:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

after being inspired by this thread, I got a 65" LG C1 from Costco a couple weeks ago. y'all were right, it looks phenomenal, extremely happy with purchase. huge improvement over the Vizio LCD that had started to die on me. thank you TV thread

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

I'm looking to dip my feet on the OLED/FALD pool after putting up with dim entry-level 4K TVs with fake HDR for years. After some research, I've narrowed down my choices to the 48" LG C1 and a Sony 55" X90K since they're about the same price in my area. I mostly watch Netflix/Plex/Hulu but have a PS5 hooked up and plan to do some gaming as well.

Obviously the answer here would be the C1, but my concern are two things: first is burn-in because I play games with static images (NBA 2K scores, Elden Ring's corner HUD) and second WebOS not allowing side-loading (I access Hulu using VPN and the app store wouldn't show those) so I will need to buy a streaming media player to get around that. I guess the smaller screen size is also a bummer but I'm coming off a 50-inch display so I suppose that's not a huge downgrade.

So am I right that burn-in is a big deal? And about WebOS?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Disharmony posted:

I'm looking to dip my feet on the OLED/FALD pool after putting up with dim entry-level 4K TVs with fake HDR for years. After some research, I've narrowed down my choices to the 48" LG C1 and a Sony 55" X90K since they're about the same price in my area. I mostly watch Netflix/Plex/Hulu but have a PS5 hooked up and plan to do some gaming as well.

Obviously the answer here would be the C1, but my concern are two things: first is burn-in because I play games with static images (NBA 2K scores, Elden Ring's corner HUD) and second WebOS not allowing side-loading (I access Hulu using VPN and the app store wouldn't show those) so I will need to buy a streaming media player to get around that. I guess the smaller screen size is also a bummer but I'm coming off a 50-inch display so I suppose that's not a huge downgrade.

So am I right that burn-in is a big deal? And about WebOS?

If you have a costco they may have a C1 for significantly cheaper than elsewhere. The price on the 65' is $150 less than what costco shows on their site (or it was a few weeks ago) and you get a much longer warranty.

From my research, the burn-in is an issue for static stuff that's on constantly (as in someone running fox news 24/7 with the same icon in the same place for days and days and days.

You could try implementing the VPN at your router level, depending on your router. Otherwise, WebOS rooting is a thing, and very easy from what I understand.

https://rootmy.tv/

That being said, all SmartTV Uis are garbage, underpowered, and riddled with ads. You're much better off getting a dedicated box.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah never put a smart tv on a network - most support firmware upgrades by usb anyway

dedicated media box is the catch-all solution rather than trying to reinvent the wheel for every bespoke smart tv os

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Is there much expectation that 4K players will get significantly cheaper over the next few years? Stuff looks great on my PS5 but I wouldnít mind getting something Dolby Vision capable for under $150 or so

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not quite $150, but you can pick up a Shield Pro at Best Buy for $169 right now.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...&ref=NS&loc=101

e: the Sony UBP-X700 UHD bluray player is under $150 and has 4k/dv streaming apps built in too.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

C'mon man, this isn't about your boring D&D opinions. God love ya', but learn to use spoiler tags appropriately.

Jade Ear Joe

morestuff posted:

Is there much expectation that 4K players will get significantly cheaper over the next few years? Stuff looks great on my PS5 but I wouldnít mind getting something Dolby Vision capable for under $150 or so

$150 seems to really be the floor for now. And has been for a while.

I bought my UBP-X700 for $145 a solid 3+ years ago.