Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Did anyone see this deal?!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528726

Sounds like a great price and if I remember right, the 6000 Series were above average TV's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Get the LIKE NEW $924 55" version of the ET5 off amazon warehouse

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...=&startIndex=15

Dangit, the more i look the more other deals i find. There is a used with only box damage ST50 for $800. Goon approved Plasma beats out IPS?

The only downside i can see is that the ST50 is Active 3D and requires the special powered glasses, as opposed to the passive IPS glasses.

Will I really miss 5 inches?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I'm looking for a tv for my bedroom. The only requirements I have are that it be around $500, 1080p, and I want it to have the frame interpolation smoothing feature. I'm gonna use an Apple TV with it so all the smart features aren't really a priority.

What's the best I can get for that much? I don't mind used or refurb stuff.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Best? Gonna have to specify size or quality.

toplitzin posted:

Will I really miss 5 inches?

Hard to say. But it's not really "5 inches" it's 21% more area: http://www.displaywars.com/50-inch-16x9-vs-55-inch-16x9

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 17, 2013

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Elysium posted:

Hard to say. But it's not really "5 inches" it's 21% more area: http://www.displaywars.com/50-inch-16x9-vs-55-inch-16x9

yeah, but the same 1080p resolution, so less pixel density, right?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Elysium posted:

Sorry, anything at least 30 inches. Picture quality would be what I'm after the most, I guess. As long as it has the automation 120hz stuff. I like it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Samsung UN40ES6100 used from Amazon Warehouse maybe? $566.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Elysium posted:

Samsung UN40ES6100 used from Amazon Warehouse maybe? $566.

I'll read some reviews on it but it looks like what I'm looking for. Great price too. Thanks for the quick response!

Anyone have any experience with this TV?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Fry's has the LG 60PA5500 60" plasma for $699. Pick up only.

http://www.frys.com/product/7062581

It's pretty bare bones, but it's a loving 60" tv for $699. If only there were a Frys within 500 miles of me.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
What would explain the random white flicker that my 55" led LG is doing? (1080p, 120hz, non 3d)

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
What's a good price for the st50? I think I'm giving away my tv to a friend and I'm going to finally pull the trigger on one.

Ill probably just end up buying it on amazon regardless..

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
What do you guys think about this deal here? http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/88156/amazon.com-42-panasonic-viera-tcl42e50-120hz-1080p-led-hdtv-100-amazon-promotional-credit

It's going to be in my bedroom, view range will be from 3'- 10'. Will be used for TV and games, some movies. I don't care about 3d, and having netflix onboard is just a nice plus. The deal with 100 amazon credit is like getting cash back (or money off the price) for me as I'll be buying textbooks from them next month.

My primary concern is just response rate, and having absolutely no issues with playing video games, it seems good. Is there a better deal out there?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Hey HDTV thread, I just got an LG 47LM660S (or T, or LM6600 in some countries I think), because I read good reviews on the trusted sites in the OP. It seemed to have exactly what I wanted in terms of Rec 709 picture performance and passive 3D quality and on first glance this seems to be absolutely the case. The bad thing however, which no review mentioned, is that it has extreme clouding/flashlights around the edges and very visible vertical bandings (I sit about 3m away from the screen). Now, the clouding got better after it sat at home for two days and it's now acceptable. The bandings are still there though. I will return it for a new model anyway, because the TV's stand is also skewed, but I'm wondering if I should even bother and rather search for a different model.

I've never really done any research for consumer TVs before this and got my old, cheap 32" LG LCD TV by blindly buying it from a store and (luckily) it has a great image. So now I'm a little worried that either the state of consumer television devices is generally just bad at this point in time, or that I'll have to spend a lot more money to get a good device. From my understanding though, the price is mainly defined by the display size and extras like SMART functionality, which I don't need. I only got the LM660 instead of the LM620(0) because it offers adjustable local LED dimming and thus is even better to calibrate.

What do you guys think about this?

EDIT: V V V Thanks for reassuring me. I'll see how the new unit looks.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 22, 2013

geera
May 20, 2003

FLX posted:

Hey HDTV thread, I just got an LG 47LM660S (or T, or LM6600 in some countries I think), because I read good reviews on the trusted sites in the OP. It seemed to have exactly what I wanted in terms of Rec 709 picture performance and passive 3D quality and on first glance this seems to be absolutely the case. The bad thing however, which no review mentioned, is that it has extreme clouding/flashlights around the edges and very visible vertical bandings (I sit about 3m away from the screen). Now, the clouding got better after it sat at home for two days and it's now acceptable. The bandings are still there though. I will return it for a new model anyway, because the TV's stand is also skewed, but I'm wondering if I should even bother and rather search for a different model.

What do you guys think about this?
I think it's pretty safe to say that very visible vertical lines and a broken stand are not normal and not indicative of what you can expect from every LG television. For what it's worth, I bought the 55" version of your TV a few weeks ago and experienced some minor clouding around the edges, which also went away after a day or two. Mine doesn't have any vertical lines and the stand is in fine shape.

Sounds like yours was probably dropped during shipping and should be easy to swap out for a replacement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Any word on Super Bowl sales? The tv we bought my sister for Christmas ended up being defective and she wanted something a little bigger so she returned it and has been waiting patiently for another sale. We're looking for something right around 40" and around $400.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Any word on Super Bowl sales? The tv we bought my sister for Christmas ended up being defective and she wanted something a little bigger so she returned it and has been waiting patiently for another sale. We're looking for something right around 40" and around $400.

Yeah, I'm actually in a similar position. How good do the Superbowl sales get?

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

I remember some decent 0% interest / no money down deals in previous years, but I wouldn't expect Black Friday prices. If you're willing to wait until after the Superbowl and hunt a little, it should be a good time for open-box deals.

On the other hand, there should already be plenty of options for 40" TVs around $400. What are your priorities? 3D? Smart? Picky about picture quality? Are budget TV input/output options OK?

Here you go - Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E50 for $529 with $100 credit for Amazon purchases...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-L42E50-42-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00752R9PK

Baby Proof fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 22, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baby Proof posted:

I remember some decent 0% interest / no money down deals in previous years, but I wouldn't expect Black Friday prices. If you're willing to wait until after the Superbowl and hunt a little, it should be a good time for open-box deals.

On the other hand, there should already be plenty of options for 40" TVs around $400. What are your priorities? 3D? Smart? Picky about picture quality? Are budget TV input/output options OK?

Here you go - Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E50 for $529 with $100 credit for Amazon purchases...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-L42E50-42-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00752R9PK

She wants a name brand, 3d and smart don't matter. That Panasonic is nice but I don't know that she'll want to spend $100 more even if she does get it back in an Amazon credit.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vizio E420i-A1. Sticker price ($500) at Sam's Club, so I'm not married to them. I didn't really look too hard at, say, Best Buy or Target because they weren't exactly helpful (or maybe it had to do with bringing a laptop and headphones). Note that, thanks to being in an exurb of Los Angeles, the nearest thing remotely resembling either a Fry's or a boutique (or hell, even a not-chain) electronics shop is more than an hour's drive away.

Meant for a master bedroom with a very nice (and very heavy) entertainment centre cabinet that the Vizio would fit in with a couple millimetres of lateral clearance (38.13"W vs 38.25" space; no lateral vents or right-on-the-edge ports so it shouldn't be "a thing") and all the vertical and depth clearance in the world, and enough space behind it to just crawl back there and hook cables in. Meant for a Motorola U-Verse box, so if either acts up with the other, that'd be good to know before I buy. Also might receive signal from a laptop or HD camcorder at some point.

It has apps but no 3D. I don't really care about either.

Passes lagom (especially the sharpness test - do you know how hard it is to find a TV that passes this?!). Appears to passes belle-nuit. Fails some custom thing off avsforum (specifically the reds), but by far less than any other TV at Sam's Club. Haven't tested it with nonstandard component input (read: Playstation 2) yet but, again, don't really care.

If an alternative in 37~42" would produce a better picture and be cheaper and/or a better fit (or if the E420i-A1 is a shameful TV), feel free to bring it up.

Also if installation and removing a Trinitron is available from somewhere else that'd deliver to north LA County (and - especially for the Trinitron part - doesn't cost rear end) feel free to recommend.

EDIT: I missed something super obvious: whether I can even turn it enough to squeeze it in during installation :downs: (and whether it can be turned on from the remote the first time - I have a Dorm Room Special TV that needs to be turned on from the TV itself... but then that one isn't a Vizio). Odds are this referendum is going to be void by this evening. Maybe it'll help someone else though, I dunno, so I'd rather not pull it entirely.

EDIT: THE LEGEND OF CURLY'S GOLD: Yeah, I can slide and turn the base in place without scraping up the TV or the cabinet. Yeah, I got someone to take the Trinitron. No, I don't need to turn it on from the TV itself after a power outage. Since I haven't heard back about any tragedies I'm assuming I'm good to go.

EDIT: THE RETURN OF THE KING: Unqualified success. Feel free to add the E420i-A1 to the "Goons bought this" list. (Also the E390-A1; performs basically the same.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 24, 2013

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
My parents have a newer Sharp LED and I was at Costco the other day looking at the TV's there and noticed the same issue that was bugging my on my parents TV.

During football games when watching the ball during a pass the ball is not at all clear and in one "piece". It looks as though it is flickering or fluttering down the field. I really only noticed it in the LED's at Costco, but maybe it applies to other technologies as well.

Has anyone else ever experienced this or know what causes it? I looked through all the settings on my parents TV and didn't find any "Motion" or "Soap Opera" type of settings, if that's even the case.

I asked the Costco guy about it and he seemed knowledgeable about everything until that point when he said "That's just the way they are." Which seems unacceptable to me when technology is suppose to improve, especially since I saw the same problem on a 240hrz and I thought that was the whole point of 120 and 240hrz which was suppose to be best for fast motion and sports...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
That is probably motion interpolation.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

That is probably motion interpolation.

How do you get rid of that??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AzCoug posted:

Spend more money.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Spend more money.

Not gonna happen. Paid good money for this TV. Isn't there a setting or something that can be adjusted?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AzCoug posted:

Not gonna happen. Paid good money for this TV. Isn't there a setting or something that can be adjusted?

No.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

So when buying a new TV what am I looking for or NOT looking for in order to ensure I don't get this same fancy "feature"?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AzCoug posted:

So when buying a new TV what am I looking for or NOT looking for in order to ensure I don't get this same fancy "feature"?

Others can explain it better. Either buy plasma or spend more money.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

AzCoug posted:

Some Sharp models won't let you turn it off. Look for Fine Motion Enhancement or AquoMotion in the picture settings and turn it off if you find one of them. If that doesn't work you can try changing the picture mode to film or game as a possible work around.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

What would explain the random white flicker that my 55" led LG is doing? (1080p, 120hz, non 3d)

I'm not sure what you mean by white flicker. If the entire screen turns a solid color (or black) for a split second, that could be an HDMI "handshake" issue. Cable boxes are notorious for flaky HDMI support. If the issue happens on more than one input then it is a problem with the TV itself.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

AzCoug posted:

Some TVs do it well, some do it badly but let you turn it off, and that one is the third kind.

If you have it already, see if you're in the return window. If not, pick something else.

Also Game Mode might help (powerful emphasis on might) but no guarantees.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

AzCoug posted:

This doesn't sound like TruMotion et al (a processing effect) but just the motion smearing common to all LCDs ever. Some are better than others, but essentially you need to buy a plasma TV to avoid it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Note that buying a Plasma TV requires some additional discretion, since labeling a display 720p - which is 1280 samples per line - when it's actually 1024x768 (they're not square pixels but :wtc:) is still more common than 1366x768 and 1280x720 combined. Actually, 1280x720 panels are rare in any format besides mobile phones these days.

1080p plasma displays should be as advertised - 1920 x 1080 - but I'd double-check it, and for that matter anything you're spending that much on.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

AzCoug posted:

Try turning off Film Mode and then mess with the Motion Enhancement settings. You can also try setting the picture mode to Game mode which turns off all image processing. None of this is going to matter if the video source is crappy however, so YMMV.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
worth noting that pauls tv has pansonic plasmas pretty much as cheap as they've been all year, as these models will soon be discontinued.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5816766-Panasonic-Plasma-sale-at-Paul-s-TV-All-Models-listed

I just bought mine last week at amazon so hopefully they price match. lol

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I've had 2 Vizios in the past 4 years, and while they've worked fine, I really hate the UI / menus. It's as if there's some arbitrary rules over what I can or can't adjust. If I choose Smart Surround audio, I can't adjust the EQ. If I choose normal audio, I can't adjust the treble. If I choose A, I can't adjust B. On top of that, the menus are laggy as gently caress.

I'm looking for a 42-47 inch LED TV with a good menu system. No one ever mentions the menus in reviews and display models in the stores usually don't have the remote available to play with.

Can anyone recommend me something that's under $1000? Don't care about 3D.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

CombatMedic posted:

I've had 2 Vizios in the past 4 years, and while they've worked fine, I really hate the UI / menus. It's as if there's some arbitrary rules over what I can or can't adjust. If I choose Smart Surround audio, I can't adjust the EQ. If I choose normal audio, I can't adjust the treble. If I choose A, I can't adjust B. On top of that, the menus are laggy as gently caress.

I'm looking for a 42-47 inch LED TV with a good menu system. No one ever mentions the menus in reviews and display models in the stores usually don't have the remote available to play with.

Can anyone recommend me something that's under $1000? Don't care about 3D.

The menus (at least this year) are about as responsive as you'd expect an interface powered by a TV's spare cycles to be, and the exclusions make sense. Also have you checked for firmware updates, and are you really in the menu enough for this to be a dealbreaker?

As for your new TV, if the remotes aren't out, ask the staff for help.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I prefer my lg menu over the Sony one, which is basically just a watered down ps3 xmb.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Is it safe to assume that no one makes TVs with s-video connectors any more? Time to buy an s-video->hdmi converter box and stop fighting progress?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

xarph posted:

Is it safe to assume that no one makes TVs with s-video connectors any more? Time to buy an s-video->hdmi converter box and stop fighting progress?

They're still available, if you hit up Google Shopping, but you could have to go far afield to get one. A conversion box or (if they still make those with DIN sockets) a receiver may be a better option, and will certainly endure the march of progress better.

If it's not so much because that's the best a device can push* but because you're paranoid about it being terrible with a better transmission format**, a lot of TVs have scalers that are on the ball now - but you'd be best off taking your device with you to check.

*Mostly S-VHS and 4th- and 5th-generation video game consoles.
**The PlayStation 2 specifically. I think it's the only vaguely common A/V device (probably not the only thing manufactured) that ever pushed non-standard YPbPr - as in not just not always 720 samples per line in 480i mode but variable samples per line.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 26, 2013

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

xarph posted:

Yes.

wikipedia posted:

The Atari 800 home computer featured S-Video outputs in 1979 (three years before the Commodore 64), via a five-pin DIN plug.
What do you even have that uses s-video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
The Vizio E601i-A3 is $700 on amazon warehouse. That's almost as cheap as the crazy Black Friday deal. However, you only get a 30 day warranty with amazon warehouse items, and I've been seeing a lot of complaints of the tvs just straight up dying.

They have it new for $888.