Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone have experience with (or know anything about) the Xfinity Flex? I got an email from them saying I can have one (with a voice remote) for free, included with my internet service. My roommate is moving out and obviously taking his XBox with him, so I was thinking of ordering a Roku but is this just as good? Or a hard pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
We're moving soon and want to finally upgrade our old 40" Samsung. It was a cheap but OK TV for 2012 but it doesn't even have an audio out port for hooking up a sound bar (right now we're using our Xbox+TV app as a makeshift HDMI hub to get our soundbar in the loop, with a Harmony Hub keeping everything in sync - my wife yells at it a lot because it is quirky and unintuitive, although better than juggling several remotes + an Xbox controller).

Important criteria: 55", handles bright rooms/reflections well, decent viewing angles, still relatively in the "budget" category ($600-$800 is ideal)
Semi-important criteria: decent streaming platform built in, the Xbox is an OK fall-back but less reliance on it is a plus
Nice to have but can forgo: local dimming/general HDR performance, good dark room characteristics

We are moving into a 4th-floor apartment with a large living room and TONS of windows. We love it, but but it's probably a challenging environment for a TV :v: The TV will be on a north-facing wall. Nearly the entire east-facing wall and probably 75% of the south-facing wall are windows. The windows have built-in shades that do a good but not perfect job of blocking light, and they will probably be open a lot of the time. The viewing area will most likely be +/- 45 degrees off the TV center but I'd like it to have some flexibility since it will be a living room TV and not a home theater TV.

Seems like my budget is going to require me to compromise on or forgo most of my nice-to-haves, which is fine. When we buy a house in 2-3 years we'll probably pick up a larger OLED TV and repurpose this one into a secondary TV elsewhere. Based on a review of Wirecutter and Rtings, here's what I've come up with in rough order of suitability:

Sony X850G - probably the best bet, not so great for cinema, but good viewing angles and reflection handling
Vizio M-Series Quantum - a bit cheaper and better on the nice-to-haves, but viewing angles aren't as good
TCL 6-series - I was honestly all set to go with this one until I saw the Rtings article on reflection handling and it was the absolute worst

Anything else worth looking at and/or known problems with the Sony or Vizio in particular?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
TCL has been the only responsive ui I can handle that doesn't have massive lag. I don't understand why this is the case among the far more expensive units. Even if they are much 'smarter', capable of doing more in the background.

Rtings viewing angle and reflection tests seem flawed to me. And are indicative of trying to provide a clearer difference between brands for their reviews, rather than how you watch televisions in real world conditions.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Is the lg c9 100 dollars better than the b9? I haven’t been able to do a side by side in person

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Veskit posted:

Is the lg c9 100 dollars better than the b9? I haven’t been able to do a side by side in person

The picture quality is basically the same IIRC, but the C9 has a better processor and you may miss out on some features introduced in firmware updates with the B9. Up to you if that possibility is worth $100.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Veskit posted:

Yes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I believe the C9 is a little brighter, if that matters. I think the BFI was better for it, too.

papa horny michael posted:

TCL has been the only responsive ui I can handle that doesn't have massive lag.
They hand it off to Roku, who does a bang-up job and doesn't step on their dicks introducing ad-related poo poo left and right (thanks, Samsung!)

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Discussion Quorum posted:

We are moving into a 4th-floor apartment with a large living room and TONS of windows. We love it, but but it's probably a challenging environment for a TV :v: The TV will be on a north-facing wall. Nearly the entire east-facing wall and probably 75% of the south-facing wall are windows. The windows have built-in shades that do a good but not perfect job of blocking light, and they will probably be open a lot of the time. The viewing area will most likely be +/- 45 degrees off the TV center but I'd like it to have some flexibility since it will be a living room TV and not a home theater TV.
I live in a similar place. Which TV you get will not have nearly as big an impact on your viewing experience what exactly will be reflected in the tv at your particular viewing point(s). When it’s dark, any light source (street lights, signs, interior building lights) is going to be apparent, and the better reflection rating is going to be a bit like having a slightly smaller red spot in the middle of your nice white sweater. We are lucky to able to position our tv and couches such that there aren’t any major light sources visible from the couches.

Higher brightness will help a bit with indirect light during the day. When the sun is shining directly in there’s not a whole lot to be done aside from pulling the blinds.

tk fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 1, 2020

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Ended up finding something else.

A talking coyote fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 2, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Just got my trumpbux, the CX and a 4K receiver and new hdmi cables is sounding pretty tempting now...

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

tk posted:

I live in a similar place. Which TV you get will not have nearly as big an impact on your viewing experience what exactly will be reflected in the tv at your particular viewing point(s).
Higher brightness will help a bit with indirect light during the day. When the sun is shining directly in there’s not a whole lot to be done aside from pulling the blinds.

Thanks, that's helpful. I was able to duck into Costco and look at the X850G (wrong size though), and went ahead and ordered it. The VA panels on display did look a bit nicer head on but the viewing angles on all of them would have been an issue, and I think the brightness will definitely be necessary due toots of indirect light during the day.

E: was supposed to be "due to lots" but :toot:

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 2, 2020

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so my mom needs a television that is both smart and built with a dvd player in it. i'm not seeing anything right off the bat from some basic googling. does this exist?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So, uh, I broke my TV today. I guess I need to get a new one.

Outgoing was a Visio M60-C3, bought on an online Black Friday deal in 2015. I’d like to get a 65” TV, 4K, HDR, and more than 3 HDMI ports.

I’m tempted to just buy the Sceptre from Walmart for $389, but doubt it’s very good. What’s a good, day, sub-$1K choice?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Pulled the trigger on a 77" C9. Probably just going to throw money at it with some Sonos home audio stuff.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

abelwingnut posted:

so my mom needs a television that is both smart and built with a dvd player in it. i'm not seeing anything right off the bat from some basic googling. does this exist?

I looked on Newegg and found the category TV Combos, the biggest TV with a built in disc player was 32" and the brand name is unspecified. The others were 5th-tier brand names like Supersonic and AXXESS. I don't think any of them have smart capability.

Looking at your avatar, are you in Chicago? I have an old Blu-ray player I'd hand over to you for $20.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Honestly I'd find whatever is ok with the DVD built in and then throw a Roku onto it.

Or, preferably, get a TCL with the Roku software and hook a blu ray into it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Krakkles posted:

I’m tempted to just buy the Sceptre from Walmart for $389, but doubt it’s very good. What’s a good, day, sub-$1K choice?

We have a Sceptre 32" in our kitchen, it's absolute trash. Which I'm honestly fine with because where it is mounted, I fully expect it to break at some point, I bought it assuming it was disposable, but I would absolutely not recommend a product from a company that would sell such a poo poo display these days for anything more than I thing I expect to break because of boiling oil splatter.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Pulled the trigger on a 77" C9. Probably just going to throw money at it with some Sonos home audio stuff.

It does support WISA speakers too if you want wireless stuff, but I have no experience with it beyond a demo.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

TITANKISSER69 posted:

I looked on Newegg and found the category TV Combos, the biggest TV with a built in disc player was 32" and the brand name is unspecified. The others were 5th-tier brand names like Supersonic and AXXESS. I don't think any of them have smart capability.

Looking at your avatar, are you in Chicago? I have an old Blu-ray player I'd hand over to you for $20.

ha, no, i'm in brooklyn. thanks, though.

and yea, this is for my mom's museum. she wants the ability to play videos from archived footage that's on dvd, or clips that are on youtube. think it might be best she just get a tv that has a dvd player and attach a roku to it. or get here to upload the footage to youtube and just play off the smart tv's youtube app. not really sure how capable they are, but yea.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 3, 2020

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KS posted:

It does support WISA speakers too if you want wireless stuff, but I have no experience with it beyond a demo.

Oh this won't be my first dip into the Sonos ecosystem - I have Play:Ones in my bedroom and office. I know it's pricey but they're incredibly easy to set up and the sound quality has been excellent.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

abelwingnut posted:

ha, no, i'm in brooklyn. thanks, though.

and yea, this is for my mom's museum. she wants the ability to play videos from archived footage that's on dvd, or clips that are on youtube. think it might be best she just get a tv that has a dvd player and attach a roku to it. or get here to upload the footage to youtube and just play off the smart tv's youtube app. not really sure how capable they are, but yea.

If there is an Ethernet (network) jack near the TV, you can put the DVD player in a different room and connect it to the TV with HDMI to Ethernet adapters.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh this won't be my first dip into the Sonos ecosystem - I have Play:Ones in my bedroom and office. I know it's pricey but they're incredibly easy to set up and the sound quality has been excellent.

I have a Beam paired with 2 One SLs and it sounds fantastic. I’ve been wanting to get a sub for a while but can’t really stomach the price and not a big fan of the design. I have a pretty good sub from a previous setup but I haven’t found a way to force it into the Sonos ecosystem yet.

I just got my x900f a few days ago and coming from an 11 year old bargain LG, it’s blowing my mind how nice TVs have gotten. I’ve been ignoring TVs since I had kids and basically never watch it anymore (plus kids don’t give a poo poo about picture quality). One thing I wish they made more clear was which ports can do 4K HDR 60 on the ports. It took me a bit to figure out why my AppleTV said my TV wasn’t HDR compatible. Still debating wall mounting it since I have some wall moulding I didn’t take into consideration that would put the TV above eye level.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I have to be honest and say I'm really sad that you're doing some Sonos thing with your awesome TV instead of getting a real AV setup that would no doubt blow your mind if you think Sonos is amazing.

e: not that there's anything wrong with Sonos necessarily, but goddamn man a 77 inch OLED deserves a dedicated setup.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 3, 2020

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Taima posted:

I have to be honest and say I'm really sad that you're doing some Sonos thing with your awesome TV instead of getting a real AV setup that would no doubt blow your mind if you think Sonos is amazing.

e: not that there's anything wrong with Sonos necessarily, but goddamn man a 77 inch OLED deserves a dedicated setup.

I couldn't agree more about the dedicated thing.

Would another brand be so much better? I am just a fan of the ecosystem because I can cast music throughout from my streaming service easily which is one of the use cases for the TV soundbar, sub and surrounds. Like I'd like to be able to play music in my office and bedroom while watching TV on the main system OR play music on all three OR play music on only one, watch TV normally, etc. Additionally I live in an apartment right now so I'm not going to wire up the space for fully gay luxury autonomous adult surround sound and I have about as much budget remaining as a 5.1 Sonos setup costs.

Just so we're clear, the TV would absolutely have its own front soundbar (beam), two surrounds (one SLs) and a sub for a full 5.1 system, they could just also couple and uncouple from the other play 1's throughout the house.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It looks like that's around $1500?

Anyways I feel like a dick now for questioning your setup, that wasn't really my intention, the TV itself is just so good. But on the other hand, audio quality is completely subjective and if something sounds good to an individual, that's all that really matters.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 3, 2020

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Taima posted:

It looks like that's around $1500?

Anyways I feel like a dick now for questioning your setup, that wasn't really my intention, the TV itself is just so good. But on the other hand, audio quality is completely subjective and if something sounds good to an individual, that's all that really matters.

Oh no! Don't feel like a dick I think it's really useful insight, Sonos just seems to occupy this sweet spot where the audio is "good enough" but the ease of use is so incredibly high that I'm going to have loyalty to it even if there's a price premium because it can play nicely with the rest of the audio in the house.

And yeah about $1500 was what I was planning to spend on the audio for the remainder of the setup.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sonos is good it's just really expensive for what it is. You're paying a premium for being lazy, and hell that's alright.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

American McGay posted:

Sonos is good it's just really expensive for what it is. You're paying a premium for being lazy, and hell that's alright.

More money than time, more money than taste.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It's really going to be an incredible setup no matter what, and frankly I am extremely jealous. We ended up settling on the 65 inch C9 but I think if we could do it again now, we would probably get the 77.

Not that it matters, but if I were to get that TV I would float over to Craigslist and get some used speakers like maybe these Focal Electrica 926s:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/ele/d/focal-jm-lab-electra-926-audiophile/7108425597.html

e: in these Trying Times™ you could probably get those for, I dunno, $1300-1400.

I tend to prefer a really good 2.0/1 setup over home theater these days (primarily because I'm a hardcore music nerd).

In any case your setup is a thing of envy, congrats! Random question, have you seen one of these C9 77s in person before buying? If not, you are in for a treat. They are insane.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 3, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Personally I'd be super suspicious of anything Sonos-related given the blowup they had with Legacy products a few months ago. But I do agree that the ease of use and lack of wires everywhere is tempting

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Taima posted:

Random question, have you seen one of these C9 77s in person before buying? If not, you are in for a treat. They are insane.

I haven't - I'm pretty loving excited though!

FilthyImp posted:

Personally I'd be super suspicious of anything Sonos-related given the blowup they had with Legacy products a few months ago. But I do agree that the ease of use and lack of wires everywhere is tempting

I'm sensitive to this of course but they did wheel this back some and I understand both perspectives. At least they've said you can fork the old stuff off so the system continues to get the most current updates and that they'll try to support the old stuff with bug fixes etc. (if not the main stream experience).

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 3, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The better soundbar alternatives to Sonos are even more expensive. That said there’s supposedly a new model just about to come out and the current Playbar hasn’t been updated since 2013 so it’s not a good buy at all right now.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Krakkles posted:

So, uh, I broke my TV today. I guess I need to get a new one.

Outgoing was a Visio M60-C3, bought on an online Black Friday deal in 2015. I’d like to get a 65” TV, 4K, HDR, and more than 3 HDMI ports.

TCL 6 series is usually the default recommendation for this need.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If I had an AirPlay 2 enabled TV, would that allow me to wirelessly send all audio from the TV to something like a HomePod (ie, irrespective of input / source)?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

qirex posted:

The better soundbar alternatives to Sonos are even more expensive. That said there’s supposedly a new model just about to come out and the current Playbar hasn’t been updated since 2013 so it’s not a good buy at all right now.

Oops, they gave me a 30% discount as a healthcare worker so I just pulled the trigger.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nice!

In other news, just a normal Monday looking at tv deals for the OLEDs... hey what--

:shepspends:

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Nice!

In other news, just a normal Monday looking at tv deals for the OLEDs... hey what--

:shepspends:

I saw something similar, but I just picture massive burn in on an open box OLED.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also ‘fair’ probably means ‘tv possibly still on fire’.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Wondering if anyone here might know, I'm looking into repairing my vizio m75-C1 tv and I've narrowed the issue down to a main board replacement. Problem is the exact mainboard I need seems to be sold out almost everywhere. The catch is I'm seeing listings with the same part number (756TXFCB0TK0010) but listed as belonging to M60 or M50 models. Would these work in mine? It looks the same but would there be an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Anyone have experience with (or know anything about) the Xfinity Flex? I got an email from them saying I can have one (with a voice remote) for free, included with my internet service. My roommate is moving out and obviously taking his XBox with him, so I was thinking of ordering a Roku but is this just as good? Or a hard pass?

Got it tonight and set it up. Some brief observations:

Pros:
- It's free
- Free sub to Peacock Premium

Cons
- No Disney+ or CBS All Access (not really surprising)
- HBO only available via Comcast sub (I recently cut cable and switched to HBO Now)

During the initial setup I asked to name it, so I took the first suggestion "Living Room". I found the device's response to the remote to be laggy. Also Netflix would crash when launching, and Amazon Prime Video would freeze when trying to load.

There's a settings menu at the very bottom of the main page with a restart option buried in it, after restarting the device its response time to the remote was way better. I had to name it again and it became "Living Room 2". All the apps I already signed into were still signed in, and I was able to get both Netflix and Prime working with no issues.

I'd love to find out if the Xfinity remote it comes with will work with my trusty old Logitech Z-5500s.