Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Remodeling the living room of a house I just bought and I'm looking to buy my first new TV in about 15 years. Initially I thought 55" was the best I could do but apparently TV bezels aren't 2" wide anymore so now I'm in the market for a 65". I'd like to spend $1500 but have flexability, don't think I want OLED (burn in is still a concern right? and what's the longevity on them vs LED?), don't care about compatibility with gaming systems. Worried about viewing angle and glare. Been thinking about the Sony X950H but I'm not seeing a lot of discussion about it in this thread, is there another model preferred over this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

qirex posted:

Boring old 6500K, Medialight had a 20% off coupon last week.

This is cool, I wasn't aware of bias lighting before this post. Think I might have to buy the 6500K system too, even without a coupon it's really reasonably priced.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BonoMan posted:

This but also you're still going to want true 6500k if you can - and while you can get them cheaper on Amazon, they aren't quite as cheap as the "just for fun" ones. This is one I have and it's great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788Z13K2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Awesome, thank you!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I needed something more tangible to figure out what size TV would work in my living room, so I cut out the exact dimensions of a 65" and 75" TV from kraft paper and taped it onto the wall.

65" vs 75":

I have about a 10-11' viewing distance depending on where you are sitting in the room. A 75" TV certainly would fit but also absolutely dominate the entire wall. Haven't got the new TV yet because I still need to install trim in this room, but I'm going with a 65".

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lol, I mean a 75" of the model I want is also way out of my budget. I certainly considered it though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I will be coming from a 46" LCD purchased in 2008 so the 65" will be a hell of an upgrade as it is. Initially I was thinking only a 55" would fit and then I learned that bezels aren't 1.5" wide anymore.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Apparently if you use their "Payboo" store card, you can also get your sales tax refunded as an instant credit. I did a bunch of reading on this to figure out what the catch was, and looks like none assuming you pay it off immediately and live in one of the states that is eligible.

Right now trying to figure out if I pull the trigger with that or pay the extra ~$100 from the tax to get it from Best Buy to have the ability to any-reason return it if needed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

What does everyone do for surge protection for your wall mounted TVs? I know that surge receptacles exist but the best rated one I can find is for 720 joules vs a cheapo power strip I found that is rated at 250. Since they're all MOV style and need to be replaced regularly anyway, seems like the $11 power strip is the way to go. However, I dunno how I'm going to stick it behind my TV since the mounts I'm looking at all seem to only have about an inch clearance from wall to TV.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Main thing I have is a box on the wall next to my outdoor panel, then regular surge protectors in the house. Lots of lightning here, I donít think the indoor ones would offer any protection against those really.

Yeah I've already got a whole-house surge protector. Also as it turns out I am a moron, and a higher joule rating on a surge protector is actually good, not the other way around.

I've already added an outlet where the TV will be so I'll just replace it with a surge receptacle.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GreenNight posted:

I go to Menards and they have a fuckload of appliances on the floor saying "no wait", but yeah I tried to buy a bed and they said 6 months.

And this is why I got a sofa from Ikea. Was at another furniture gallery this weekend and they told me it could be up to an 18 week wait for certain models, lol.

Anyway my new TV just arrived. Went with the Sony X900H 65". Costco/Amazon just discounted it pretty good. Can't wait to unbox it later.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^^thats what I get for waiting so long to refresh

Vintersorg posted:

Man, I hosed up. I installed a recessed plug to go behind my wall mount tv but the plug for the cable box is a goddamn fat wallwart. I wanted to originally mount it behind the tv to hide cables but not now. I will probably have to get a little conduit now to hide the wires which isn't the ugliest thing but defeats a clean setup.

Builder was supposed to build a inwall conduit but said it since this was an outside wall it wouldn't work. :/

Could you use something like this to offset it enough to tuck it behind the TV or into the mount? https://www.target.com/p/philips-3-outlet-surge-protector-with-1-ft-extension-cord-gray-and-white/-/A-77596037

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Got my new tv and I'm loving around with my bias lighting and I'm very sad to discover that the USB ports on Sony Bravias (every model for the last at least 6 years) will randomly power on and off while the TV is off. So now I gotta power this thing via external adapter and turn it on with its remote like a shlub.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

kliras posted:

Isn't there an Eco Mode or something to turn off?

Nope! There are various suggested settings that I could find but none of them actually turned the lights off when I turned the TV off.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

jaadee posted:

A simple solution if your setup supports it is to plug the bias lights into your soundbar.

Did not go the soundbar route. My receiver is a bit older and doesn't have any USB ports either. I looked into a current-sensing power strip (TV plugs into one outlet, power strip senses when it is on and turns the other outlets on, turns them off when the TV goes off) but apparently the Bravias never actually turn off all the way no matter what power settings you use so this wouldn't work either. A friend suggested a smart outlet but then I am pressing a button on my phone which doesn't really get me much over pressing a button on the tiny remote that came with the thing.

There are LED light strips with IR controllers that you could then program your universal remote to power off but this just has a RF remote, I don't have a universal remote either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

codo27 posted:

What HDMI cables would you buy these days?

I picked up some of these and they seem fine? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3992