Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey thread, I'm looking to upgrade my old 55" VIZIO in the next few months.

I don't really know anything about what's actually a good value.

What I'm aiming for:

-65" 4K
-A wireless surround sound system
-A 4k player that supports old Blurays and DVDs. (I assume they all do but I have tons of old physical media that I'd like to still use)
-Frankly I don't think I would get a whole lot out of really premium stuff. I've had Vizios for a while and am fine with that level of quality.

Budget is about 2K. I'm willing to wait a while. Some vet bills came up recently so this isn't going to happen for another month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

qirex posted:

Moderate your expectations for a sound system. You can get one for $500 but it will be absolute rear end and have no actual bass. Maybe just get the best soundbar you can afford and don't worry about rear channels or a sub for now.

Ah, that's fair. I have a wired surround system (that is dependent on the Blu-Ray player) and have not had the back speakers plugged in for the past year.
Recently watched Fury Road again and it sounded plenty good. Maybe I'll divert the extra budget to a better TV.

Are Vizios at all decent, broadly speaking? I only got mine because I was at Costco and it was just the right price.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a breakdown of what models or series to avoid? I'm not so poor anymore that I need to buy budget models but cannot justify $3K on a TV.

I'm replacing a 50" Vizio M50-C1 that's about six years old. I can't get any new apps on it (old platform) and I moved to a place that can handle a 65 with ease.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BonoMan posted:

TCL 6 series.
Hisense 9 series
Vizio 65" OLED
LG 65" CX/C1

Sorry, are you saying I should avoid these?
The Vizio OLED is just in my range and will pull the trigger unless I'm missing something.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Awesome, thanks! Not being "rice and beans for every meal" poor anymore has really hosed with my sense of money. I deserve a treat, haha.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gonna throw up but I bought a 55 Vizio OLED.
I never buy stuff that expensive so I hope it's worth it!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

FilthyImp posted:

Congrats! What are you breaking it in with?

Oh boy... probably Fury Road, a perfect movie.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Umm, crap.
I haven't updated anything about my system since around 2014 and now I have this gorgeous OLED paired with a 1080P blu-ray player.

What're the normal suggestions for an up-to-date player and sound system?

Edit: reading up on it more (I'm a noob in these parts) and it seems like most people can't tell the difference unless you're really close to the TV.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 22, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, cool.

I ran a few things through it already and everything looks amazing. Thor Ragnarok is especially good. Going to try Mad Max this weekend.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Having fancy 7.1 surround sound is appealing but I've never had the right room shape for it.

Maybe my next house will have a proper den/family room. My living room is kinda dinky.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I've been trying to stream HBO Max to my Vizio OLED through casting and it will connect and play a few things but not very consistently.

I've been trying to watch The Suicide Squad and it tries to load, stalls at 13 seconds (without actually playing anything) and then does nothing.

Does the same thing with a lot of other movies and it's extremely annoying.

Anyone know what's up or is there a better thread?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Facetious posted:

If your television supports casting, try the mobile app and see if it's any better. The goons I game with state the hbo tv and console apps are pretty bad.

Yeah maybe I wasn't clear.
The model of Vizio doesn't support the HBO app so I have the app on my phone that I try to cast to my TV.

They say that's what you're supposed to do, I dunno.

I've never had a Chromecast or something like it. What's the point?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aw gently caress I wish I looked in to them earlier.
A big reason I upgraded my TV was because it was using Vizio's old platform and couldn't get HBO or Disney.

Oh well. I just got two and hopefully it'll save the several but different headaches I have with these TVs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, so glad I checked this thread. Grabbed two Chromecasts and they work like a charm.

Super snappy, easy to set up and way less of a pain than using native apps.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone have experience with Best Buy's open box TVs?

My oldish 50" Vizio finally shat the bed (has sound but no picture. New weird cluster of colored pixels show up on the bottom right when turned on) so I want to upgrade to a 65 OLED.

I could afford to buy new but ehhh, I'd rather use the money on house projects.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just bought an "excellent" open box LG G1. Gonna snag a 5 year warranty as well.
Hopefully it's worth it!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

Just bought an "excellent" open box LG G1. Gonna snag a 5 year warranty as well.
Hopefully it's worth it!

Picked up the G1. The folks at Best Buy were super nice. They gave me a free mounting kit, asked if I was going to mount right away and I said I didn't know. They gave me a free swivel stand as well.

Signed up for the $200/year tech support plan since I intend on buying more from them and a standard warranty for just the TV was $180.

The picture is absolutely amazing and even the speakers are quite decent. Got the sound system running anyway.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GreenNight posted:

That tech subscription includes them mounting it for free if you go that route. My folks did and are extremely happy with the results.

...gently caress.
Wish I had known that instead of spending two hours yesterday doing it myself.

Did you know that a 65" TV, even when extremely thin is loving heavy, awkward and near impossible to rack on a mount when you can't see what's happening?

Oh well. It was my first time doing a wall mount. This old house used the 16" between studs as merely a suggestion. I got it mounted properly but it took a while to figure out the exact spacing. Was expecting it to be broken on the floor this morning but it's still hanging on!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

papa horny michael posted:

Yeah. I've had the G1 a few days now. Is webos supposed to be slow at all?

It seems fine to me during setup but after the first day I went back to my Chromecast and it's been all peachy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a weird issue.

When I stream something (Chromecast on a fairly new Vizio OLED) and the show has low volume, like dialog with no BG music, the sound cuts out completely when there is no active sound.
Does that make sense?

If there's any music or droning it won't cut out.

It's weird to complain that there's no sound when there's nothing happening but it's like it gets muted and it's quite distracting.

Is there a setting that might cause this?