Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
They finally (probably) made the G actually worth the lift over the C besides "you can put it on a wall".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

rustyshackelford posted:

How long after announcements do these typically release? Just started getting interested in a new set and I was close enough to new announcements I thought I’d wait.

Last year the 2020 pricing and availability was announced mid March so that's probably a reasonable estimate for the 2021 panels.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I wonder if they are actually as good in OLED in other respects besides pure black.

yes, but the reason you have to get them so big is that they are a ~p0.9 commercial LED video wall but with the scaler and processor integrated, so minimum view distance to not see pixels is going to be at ~10 feet. They can get much brighter so HDR is going to be much better than an OLED. The right use case right now is instead of a projector in a movie space where you have fixed seating at the right distance, or else youll get screen door effect like an old LCD projector.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
For those wanting to play panel lottery and void warranties, the AVS thread on the C1/G1 has discovered that if your C1 was one of the ones with the new WBE "evo" panel, you can change the personality in the service menu to be a G1 and then you get the 20% brightness boost. Nobody's posted a how-to yet, but I assume they're coming.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rusty posted:

Can you link this thread in question. I probably will not do it, but I am curious what panel I have.

Here's roughly the point where that discussion starts

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2021-lg-oled-c1-g1-owners-thread-faq-no-price-talk.3190432/page-131

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Airgapping your Smart TV is a very good idea and imparts many benefits, including, yes, putting a dead stop to any and all analytics and data gathering, but also cutting off all ads. It's usually a good idea to plug in an ethernet cable once a year or so and do a firmware update.

LG at least for now offers FW via a file you can do over USB so you never have to even do that.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The time to air gap a smart TV was as soon as they came to market.

We are probably only a year out from TVs having integrated 5G modems for the advertising/viewing data back channel so you can't stop it easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

wandler20 posted:

I bought a smart TV so I don't need another device to plug into and another remote laying around. I don't care if they track what I watch, it's not that interesting. LG WebOS doesn't have a ton of ads and the remote lets you program the buttons so you don't even have to use it. Cell phones are infinitely worse.

My strategy of hoarding harmony remotes so I have an infinite supply as they die so I can live the one actual remote life continues to pay off