Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've got some weird issues with my LG TV and Logitech universal remote. The TV doesn't seem to want to recognize the DVI-HDMI output from the computer... until I go behind it and plug the cable into a different HDMI port. This happens every time, no matter what input - if the computer is connected to HDMI 1, no signal - I switch it to HDMI 3 and it works. If I shut down and start up again on HDMI 3, no signal until I pull it and reconnect it to HDMI 1. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My LG is still doing that weird thing where it won't recognize the input from my computer (DVI-HDMI) unless I manually unplug the HDMI terminal and plug it into a different one on the back. SimpLink/HDMI-CEC is disabled, so is ARC. What could be causing this?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask this question:

My new roommate wants to watch GoT on my TV; he has a Crave account and up until now he's been watching the new season on his phone. The problem is, my smartTV is an LG and everything I've read so far suggests there is no Crave app for it.

We tried a simple casting app (I can't remember what it was called, but I think it was the native wifi cast in the LG TV) but it was laggy as hell. Is there a solution for this or a better option?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if this question is more appropriate for a different thread but I'm asking here anyway. I'm having a really weird issue with my NVidia Shield.

Every time I turn it on, it fires up my TV and receiver and sets them to the right channels, but then a few seconds later my PS4 comes alive and the receiver switches over to its throughput. I have to manually switch the receiver back over to Stream Box input to get back to the Shield.

Setup is an LG TV, Onkyo receiver. Every source (except a long HDMI cable from my work computer across the room to use the TV as an extra-large monitor) is running through the receiver into the TV's HDMI2 port which supports ARC in case I ever want to switch back to my antenna for Hockey Night In Canada. I have a Harmony universal remote that I've barely used since I got the Shield, because its remote supports CEC. Everything was working fine until a few days ago, when I must have use the Harmony remote to change something and now the Shield remote seems like it's talking to the PS4 as well as the receiver and TV. What do now?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK so I disabled CEC on my PS4 (not Pro) and now I'm getting the opposite problem: If I use the Harmony remote to switch to the PS4, it takes be right back to the STRM BOX (Shield) throughput.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So for the time being I've resigned myself to this SMB issue preventing me from dropping new movies & TV shows on my Shield's external HDD, instead I'm opting to do it the old-fashioned way - pulling the drive, dropping it in a caddy and copying the media that way. It seems like it's working but now I have more of a general issue with the Shield (or possibly some setting in Plex).

It doesn't seem to like some of the 4K movies I've added. One of them hung up and wouldn't play, another played but the remote wouldn't respond to commands and I couldn't get the transport up to scrub through and preview frames from the movie. Could this just be the Shield struggling to stream media off the HDDs? They're in a USB3 ProBox enclosure.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks for that! To clarify, you had exactly the same issue as in you're trying to copy files from a Mac and it was giving you a permissions error? I'm gonna try that hotfix out, thanks again.

As for the 4K files not wanting to play, could this be a setting in Plex that needs changed?

EDIT: Seems that disabling the 'maximum H.264 level' setting helped the 4K files play a bit easier.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 25, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I posted this in some other places but it's not getting any traction; I think last time I was having Nvidia Shield issues I asked about it here, so here goes.

This all started when I upgraded my Shield about a week ago, to 8.2.0 (32.6.435.1). Plex and Plex Media Server stopped working.
- Plex will start on the Shield, but going into my media folders it simply will not load them. Just an endless loading icon in the center of the screen.
- If I'm trying to stream content from PMS onto another device on my network, it shows "SHIELD is currently unavailable."
- In Plex Settings on the Shield, PMS (v1.18.5.2309) shows as 'Stopped' and will not start.

Now I seem to recall this happening before, after earlier updates to the Shield. I remembered something about forcing an update for PMS in Google Play Store. This worked last time, but this time I noticed something different when launching GPS: It was really slow. Like, tabbing over from 'Apps' to 'Games' takes a solid 15 seconds, and if you try to input more than one move at a time, it crashes. With some patience, I made it to 'My Apps', PMS, and hit the 'Update' button... and it just hung there on 'Download Pending.'

Someone on Reddit suggested uninstalling Plex and PMS, and resetting the app cache in GPS. I tried this, and now GPS won't even launch. It just hangs on a loading icon.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm really frustrated here, Plex is basically the number 1 app I use on my Shield. Thanks for your time.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

codo27 posted:

You may just be looking at a factory reset. Have you checked the storage area of settings and make sure your media source is mounted?

:( I was worried you'd say that. I hate having to factory reset this thing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think I just wasted $8 on a non-powered HDMI splitter. I'm trying to split one of my desktop GPU's outputs, which was previously just going to my 4K TV. The GPU is an RX580, with two 1080p monitors connected to the HDMI ports, a 4K monitor on one of the DisplayPorts, and the big TV on the other DisplayPort via an HDMI adaptor. I want to split that last signal going to the TV so it's also going to the video switcher I use for livestreaming, so that I can run some audio-reactive video software as one of the inputs, but also see it on my big TV for room atmosphere while I DJ.

Connecting the splitter after the DP-HDMI adaptor yields nothing out to the TV anymore, but eliminating it in the chain and connecting the TV back to the adaptor works fine. I'm guessing there's a power supply issue going on, but is it worth juggling around the other outputs on the GPU? Otherwise, what's a good powered HDMI splitter that'll serve my purposes? It really only needs two outputs but more couldn't hurt.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
As usual, not entirely sure this is the right thread for this but here goes anyway. I'm curious if my receiver/TV setup has appreciable input lag to affect gaming, and if so, how to find out and correct it.

Receiver is an Onyko HT-S5800 and TV is an LG 55UK7700. I'm gaming on a PS4 Pro, and this isn't even something I really considered until my new roommate (an avid CoD player) pointed it out one night. I thought I just really sucked at FPS games (I mean, I do), but he says there is a marked difference between gaming on my setup and his.

I'm assuming if there is any lag introduced, it's either at the receiver stage or due to one of the TV's picture settings. I believe I have everything like TruMotion set to OFF on the television, but there may be something in there incurring lag. If it's the receiver, though, is there some setting common to these things that I haven't considered?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ah, I caught your post before the edit. In any case, checking now the PS4 shows that it's outputting linear PCM. The Onkyo receiver has the PCM icon lit but there's also a Dolby logo icon lit next to it. I'll try later on tonight to run the PS4 directly to the TV but other than loading up a FPS is there any quicker way to test out whether there is lag?

Also, if it ends up being the receiver and I decide to keep the PS4 directly connected to the TV, will ARC still work to send the audio back out the TV to the receiver? Or should I go get an optical cable? Thanks for your help. :)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kliras posted:

optical doesn't have the throughput to support pcm for surround/multichannel; it'll only send you a paltry stereo output

I assume this means it only works if it's set to some sort of Dolby muxing as opposed to raw PCM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is just a curiosity of mine, not a real issue but does anyone else find that upscaling algorithms sometimes do odd stuff to people's faces onscreen?

I have a NVidia Shield and it has some 'AI upscaling' thing you can turn on. It generally does a decent job at fairly recent content. Obviously things like film grain and really bad/low-res rips still look like poo poo, but it's otherwise good.

The thing that gets me about it though is that it seems to make people's eyes look... sunken and shadowy? It's subtle in some content but in others it looks like actors are straight-up wearing eyeshadow. Anyone else experienced anything like this, or am I crazy?