Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

WHat are my options for mounting my center channel speaker above my tv? I see these vesa mounts but they look pretty cheap. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/center-...5&skuId=5857191

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Not home but I would imagine 15-20 lbs. Not willing to have a bookshelf just for this, its either finding a way to mount it to the tv or raising the tv up a few inches so it can go directly on the tv stand.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

I bought a shelf from our local hardware store for a couple bucks and will be mounting it above the TV this evening. One of these sorts of things, except not this one:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0100826_PE244297_S5.JPG

Edit: my center channel is more or less this, except like an 805 or something: http://www.focal.com/en/chorus-800-v/40-chorus-cc-800-v-3544056691111.html

How are you planning to mount it? I would appreciate some pics, thanks.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Certainly, but I think you're overthinking this. There's not a lot to it. Here we go.
I appreciate this but I am not willing to drill holes in the walls for this project as I am renting.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looking for a tv for my girlfriends place to use with a ps4/chromecast. I would much prefer to get it at costco, opinions on these sets? I don't know anything about JVC but this seems like a good deal.

JVC EM55FTR - http://www.costco.com/.product.100103365.html

Vizio E480i-B2 - http://www.costco.com/Vizio-48%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-E480i-B2.product.100100168.html

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks for the replies. Looks like vizio might be the best bet. Also looking at this LG one for $550:

http://www.costco.com/LG-47%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-47LB6100.product.100106877.html

Fake 120hz doesn't sound very appealing, how do I tell if a set is true 120hz?

My budget is $600 or under.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Bestbuy lists the true refresh rate on their site, so for many TVs you can just look it up on Bestbuy.com.

Otherwise you need to Google it usually.

Thanks - from what I can tell the E550i-B2 has a refresh rate of 120hz according to:

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/vizio-lcd-tv/vizio-e550i-b2.html and

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-e-series-55-class-54-5-8-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-hdtv/3320006.p?id=1219090455813&skuId=3320006

is this not the case, is this TV actually 60hz?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That one is 60. I guess Bestbuy dropped the ball on that one.

I don't mean this as a call out, but how do you know this? From all the places I am looking online this is a 120hz panel.

Also looked at some of the E series sets at costco last night, really don't like the tv stands, at least the floor models were very wobbly.

Looked at the 55" M series and if I can stretch the budget I think I'll get that one.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks for the info, how loving stupid and confusing. I just want proper 24fps which is why I wanted 120hz.

This looks decent, but I don't know if its in stock yet at my local costco.

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-49%22-Class-1080p-240Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-M492i-B2.product.100127238.html

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I picked up a Vizio m65e0, is there really only 1 port that does HDR? I have my Xbox one s plugged into HDMI 2 but I have no option to set the Full UHD color setting. I couldn't find the answer in the manual or googling.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Buying and assembling ikea furniture as an experiment? Brave soul.

Anyways I have a Costco tv stand that I like, holds my tv well.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

morestuff posted:

There will always be a sale exactly three weeks after you buy something

This is why I’m gonna get my cx from Costco

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

gently caress me my new 65 CX is unreal. Coming from a vizio is like getting new glasses. Looking forward to some good poo poo!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Yo I know I posted about it already 👉👈 but holy poo poo, binding long-key presses to 1-8 might be my favorite thing about this TV next to the panel itself now that I've had a day to enjoy flying around.

1,2,3,4 are the corresponding inputs
5 youtube, then netflix, prime video and disney+

It is so snappy and fast and no more loving waiting around for TV input menus like i've been doing for 15 years. Just 1.5 seconds and I'm there at exactly the input I want.

I change apps and inputs all the time so this just feels like the future!!

How do you bind stuff?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Apple TV is the best no question, used all the major boxes

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I bought a smart TV so I don't need another device to plug into and another remote laying around. I don't care if they track what I watch, it's not that interesting. LG WebOS doesn't have a ton of ads and the remote lets you program the buttons so you don't even have to use it. Cell phones air mare infinitely worse.

I have an Apple TV which is 27x better than the LG interface. I use 1 remote to control everything.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Q1 yes

I believe the lg oled is the premier tv line, but I haven’t purchased in a while

I have 2, a 65 inch and I think a 42 inch

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lg oled with an Apple TV

Yes, the lg can do native airplay but appletv is better

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

actionjackson posted:

who makes an OLED dumb tv?

Lg that doesn’t get connected to the internet

Mine I unblock every few months to get firmware updates then I block it again

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

actionjackson posted:

if you use apple tv on an LG OLED are there any ads? or at least ones that can't be removed

No

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Looks reasonable to me. The only times I'm distracted by a big TV in someone's living room is when it's teetering on top of a much too small TV stand.

Or mounted too high

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Very thankful my TCL has a turnoff standby light feature, we sleep with the door into the living room for airflow and I find LED lights really distracting when trying to sleep. For some reason, then PS5 doest have such a feature (though the Xbox does)

FLANCCI LED Light Blocking Stickers, Light Dimming LED Filters, (2 Sheets) Dimming Sheets for Routers, LED Covers Blackout, Dimming 50% ~ 80% of LED Lights, (2Sheets = 1 Cut Out + 1 Uncut) https://a.co/d/aCng1Zl

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Correct choice, the Apple TV is the best box no question.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just use a vpn to sign up for youtube premium. i think im paying about $4 ukrainian dollars per month for YT family

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah oled is insane, I will never go back.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rtings and/or YouTube

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Get a 48 inch lg oled

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Withnail posted:

What is the name of this problem?

Tv being too high

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Mainly I need something that can support Plex, if it can do that and Netflix/Max I'm good

Use plex and infuse

E: I have literally never seen a pop up on my Apple TV. I have always had the sports score thing disabled.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 16, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Client, so OK.

I run the server off my main PC.

What's the advantage of Infuse? It looks just like a replacement for the Plex client that integrates mutliple servers, but I don't use Jellyfin or whatever.

Direct plays all things. I use mine with my plex server.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

What is the go-to sub $1000 TV? Mainly watching movies, youtube/twitch, and occasional gaming (switch, steamdeck eventually with a dock). I have a nice HDMI 2.1/HDCP 2.3 4/8K AVR, so I don't need a ton of ports.

Whatever oled is on sale

https://www.costco.com/lg-42%22-cla...sh=true&nf=true

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TheOneVader posted:

All this talk about HDMI 2.1 made me look up what I have. I have an LG C3 on its way to replace a dying CX, a Panasonic UB-820, and a Denon AVR-S750H from 3 years ago. Apparently the AVR is HDMI 2.0 only, but is my understanding correct that it doesn't matter unless I plan on displaying over 60Hz 4K HDR?

A dying cx?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

incogneato posted:

I'm sure this question is highly subjective per person and viewing space, but I may as well get some opinions from others' experiences.

We're mounting a new 75" in our living room. I bought a mount that can extend, tilt, and angle all about. But after thinking about it, it's highly unlikely we'll ever actually need angled viewing due to how the space is laid out. The only reason I could imagine wanting tilt is for a kid sitting on the floor playing games or something I guess? The TV will be mounted at eye height for the sofa 11' away (maybe ~30" or so off the floor or so?).

I'm considering returning the mount for a flush mount. In other people's experiences:

(1) How visually noticable is a mount that holds a TV 2.5” from the wall versus 1.25". I've never had a larger TV (or mounted one), so I can't really picture whether it's a noticeable difference.
(2) How likely is tilt to be useful in normal family room usage with a TV already mounted at eye height for a sofa?

What kind of tv? Different viewing angles for different models. Rtings lists a score for viewing abngles or at least used to.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Wait for a superb owl oled sale

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

What are some good tv’s that are 80" to 85" and less than $3k (preferably closer to $2k) right now?

My father’s current tv, which is a 82" Samsung that he bought in 2018, has a logic board issue preventing external audio (using a soundbar) from functioning according to a tech that came out to look at it. And said it would cost about $800 plus labor to replace.

80"+ is a hard requirement. Mostly sports and streaming (shows & movies). Bright-ish living space with (IMO terrible reflection potential). And the seating positions are fairly wide but not terrible either.

Lg oled

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Televisions Thread: Lg oled

It’s this

Best Buy had the lg for 4k

Stretch the budget a bit

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I almost want my 65" C6 to die so I could justify getting an 83" and wall mount it.

7+ years and still going strong. 17093 hours and counting.

Wonder how long my cx65 is gonna last

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Start with the rtings calibration settings

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Greed posted:

Literally the first thing I did, nothing has helped at all except dramatically turning down brightness.

Glad you have a fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

KillHour posted:

Man, it is driving me crazy that it's not a foot or 2 lower. Cool TV though.

For real