Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I really hope I'm not hosed here but I've got a TCL 6 series from '18 that I went to turn on today like normal but something is very wrong. The panel emits only some light but everything is so dim that I can only barely see shapes on it when I move around the menu with the remote. Sound is fine, have restarted it & unplugged its power cable but looks like maybe the LEDs just completely went out? Maybe the backlight? I'm hosed aren't I, I don't know anything about cracking open the back of it and replacing fuses or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Anyone own the 77" LG CX? I'm thinking of signing up for a Costco membership to take advantage of their 5yr warranty (with free $100 Squaretrade 3yr warranty stacking on top of Costco's own 2yr warranty). From what I gather in this thread it sounds like the CX is an ideal choice for mixed usage PS5/movies/tv/sports. It's a chunk of change but I was already planning on upgrading to OLED at some point in the near future and I'm prepared to spoil myself.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Listerine posted:

I ordered one from Costco online on August 17th. The estimated delivery was August 23rd. The TV shipped from Costco and I got the shipment email on August 21st. The subcontractor shipping company was Ceva Logistics and I got a tracking number from them, when I checked it on their website I got a message that the delivery would need to be scheduled and that I would be contacted in the next 48 hours.

Nothing has changed since then. I've had three phone calls for a total of over 4 hours wait and call time. I was told that the item was received by Ceva on August 27th, and that the actual 48 hour window was supposed to start with them at that point, and to be generous I should have heard from them by September 4th. I did not hear from them. For a while when calling Costco, they couldn't get through to Ceva at all to find out more information.

This past Friday I escalated to a supervisor, who finally managed to get through to Ceva, and was told they would contact me within 24-48 hours (I was told Ceva does business over the weekend, so Saturday and Sunday counted in that time window), and if I didn't get contacted then the supervisor would reach out to me today. No contact again from Ceva, and I'm currently waiting out today to see if the Costco supervisor does indeed follow up like she promised.

For over the past month it's been a constant game of "wait a little more", and I understand Covid affects things but the lack of information and the lack of follow-up is absolutely unacceptable. I am 99% sure I will not be contacted by Ceva today, and I'm 50% confident the supervisor will forget or otherwise not follow up with me today, so it's likely tomorrow I will spend another hour or so processing a refund.

My recommendation to you is to buy in store, because this shipping issue is a loving nightmare, and now the cost of the TV has gone back up, so I can't even take my business somewhere else without eating a $200 loss. I'm probably going to wait until Black Friday-Cyber Monday to see if the set takes another price dip.

Jesus, what a pain in the rear end. Thankfully I've got a Costco nearby and my plan was to mask up and go to the physical store, maybe see if I can squeeze any extra value out of a human salesperson if possible but also just for peace of mind.

I ordered my TCL from a third party (Electronic Express) on Amazon during the Summer of '18. Shipped from Nashville to Portland, took a little less than two weeks. I took the whole day off of work to receive it since the delivery window was like 6 hours long. I cleared out all the space I could in my tiny apartment, got the box off around the TV and... the panel was practically shattered, didn't even bother plugging it in it was damaged so badly. To the seller's credit, I was able to get on the horn and explain what happened and they replaced it at no dollar cost to me (after two more gd weeks) but gently caress that was such a powerful bummer.

The 77" shows it weighs about 80lbs altogether so I'm gonna pony up the $20 for 'set up' mostly so I'll have another person to give me a hand just putting it up on my TV stand but also so I can confirm whether the panel is hosed from the getgo. The 65" TCL was easier to move than my ten year old Panasonic plasma though. Looks like the bigass OLED is even heavier but I'm not sure I can manhandle something of its size & fragility alone.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Listerine posted:

The extra $20 for setup is with the shipping option though, I don't think it's for pickup in store, and it's another black box for me at this point because Ceva says on their website that they're only doing threshold delivery and not in-house. I paid for it, but if magically I suddenly get a delivery date, I don't know if these jokers will actually do the setup- I'd like the base attached at least, I can carry it into the house. I'm drat sure not signing for a delivery until I make sure the panel works- and I'm not accepting a delivery if the box is noticeably damaged.

Oh yeah I wasn't clear on that--I'm gonna go to the physical Costco to order it to be shipped, I don't own a vehicle large enough to fit the box it would come in. Wouldn't have been able to fit the 65" TCL for that matter either.

e: yeah if I owned a big enough vehicle I'd just do in-store pickup but these boxes are huge

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Thom Yorke raps posted:

I had a 77" CX delivered from BuyDig. Took about a week to get to me, they brought it into the house.

I really like it so far, but mine DOES have an avocado shaped dark spot that only occassionally shows up on full gray screens; from a bit of googling, this issue seems epidemic. I only ever see it on screen transitions (ie, displaying an image, then the whole screen goes 'dark' but really it's like 1% grey instead of just turning off all the pixels) never in real content.

Interesting, care to share any links to pictures if it's possible to capture?

man nurse posted:

These delivery stories have me apprehensive. I’m having mine delivered via Best Buy on the 2nd because no stores had any in stock. I hope it arrives on time and blemish free.

With a big company like Best Buy who also has b&m stores, I'd be less worried than I was when I went through Amazon for example. Should be easier to get someone on the phone or go in-person if it arrives damaged. These TVs are so big though that it kind of doesn't surprise me that they get damaged in shipping so often. They're also shipped from the vendor to the store you're buying it from just to get shipped again so there's that handling chain to consider. Blech

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Between what seems like a high defect/return/failure rate, plus how common shipping damage is, there must be giant mountains of broken/rejected/returned LCD TVs somewhere. Are the components recyclable?

I'm curious about this too. Gonna try to give away my borked TCL before I think about trashing it. So much metal, and electrics

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Listerine posted:

I ordered one from Costco online on August 17th. The estimated delivery was August 23rd.

Any update on this out of curiosity? Just signed up for my Costco membership today and I'm getting hyped, probably won't order for another week or two though

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

So we managed to pick up a Samsung 6-series 65" way back in Christmas '16 and we've been pretty happy with it for 4 years and 5 moves

We finally bought a house with a big wall, I'm curious, is 85" too big? I don't see many for sale bigger than that. 65" is adequate but we sit a little over 13' eyeball to screen from the TV which is the lower limit for 4k according to "the chart"

Also is QLED that much better than regular lcd or whatever? And what's the real world lifespan of an OLED before it's too dim for regular use

At that size I'd maybe consider a projector and go even bigger if the lighting's good

Otherwise, Rtings has some recommendations up to 85" https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/80-82-85-inch

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Hot drat, I was getting nervous when Costco's site delisted the 77" CX but it's back up again and @ $3650, down three hundo from just a week ago.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Pulled the trigger on the Costco deal, scheduled delivery for this upcoming Tuesday. Will post an update once it arrives, I'm fuckin stoked!!

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Listerine posted:

If it doesn't arrive, escalate immediately to a supervisor in a support call and have them contact the shipper. Make them do the work. Otherwise you could be looking at delivery around Thanksgiving.

Oh yes, that's great advice for anyone posting/lurking this thread and placing online delivery orders. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I deal with different shipping vendors all the time at my work so I've got no problem getting on the horn and straightening poo poo out if I have to.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Do you tip the delivery folks?

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Nice yeah that sounds good, I figured I should but surely not as a % of the cost or whatever but a couple 20s sounds like the right idea

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I was eyeing that Sony X900H deal but I'd like to get a 75". Is $1999 a good price or should I just hang on until Black Friday? Looks like Amazon has had it at that price for a month so I don't know if that's the sale price or the "new normal" price.

If not the X900H, any other good 75" sets to look at?

I've been going by rtings roundups, here's one for that range: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/70-75-77-inch

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I'm prepared to be disappointed, fortunately

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I spy an open box 77" CX for $3090 on Best Buy although I'm not sure if it's location-dependent

e: duh it is but I hadn't thought of checking for open-box deals before

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

The shipping company for Costco in this case (InnovelLogistics) hit me up just now for a 9am-11am delivery time tomorrow so I'll let the thread know how it goes. As always, I'm prepared 2 die

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Jows posted:

The Sony? I went to the store and bought it yesterday. It's awesome. Setup was a breeze too. Although it power cycled randomly for some reason yesterday - I'm hoping that it was some update or whatever and it doesn't happen again.

Nah I went big with the 77" LG CX, the Sony looked good tho for that price & size

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Aw yeah, my 77" LG CX was delivered today right on schedule thru Costco. Unfortunately the delivery drivers from Costco's 3rd party shipper had no idea about the white glove delivery so they just dropped the box off to me and left. I just said gently caress it and I did everything myself.

It was very heavy and awkward to set up alone! I'm just gonna ask for the $20 back from Costco but I also would extremely recommend you don't try to set this thing up and put it on a tv stand alone lol goddamn that was some sweaty work with the tv + stand weighing ~80lbs spread across this big ol fragile thing.

Looks great though! Coming from the TCL, I already miss the elegant little roku remote. The UI is decent and responsive enough that the wii-style pointer thing is more obnoxious than it is useful. ARC wasn't working right away but a quick reboot of my soundbar fixed that so I can use just the one remote for volume instead of having to adjust volume with the soundbar's own remote.

Can't wait til it gets dark outside but I'm really loving the picture @ midday with lots of ambient light already after fiddling with the settings (gently caress u TruMotion good lord that poo poo is awful)

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

If it's only a/v desync, try changing settings on your soundbar. I know mine has just about .2 to .25 seconds audio delay only with prime video and only with certain videos, switching between stereo and surround sound modes and back on my Yamaha soundbar would usually fix it, or enabling/disabling the 3d surround setting. Definitely swap cables first if you can, could have a latent cable kink causing issues

E: to that end wrt the CX, it mercifully has an av desync slider under volume controls with a bypass toggle that fixes that issue for prime when it happens then I can toggle it back off for everything else. Also, no HBO Max or Shudder which sucks

doctorthefonz fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 8, 2020

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Dang, so both your pc and switch using different hdmi ports produce on the tv the same lag? Would you say the desync is identical on both? Have you had them both plugged in and running simultaneously while switching between inputs through the tv? Try new or different cables first--presumably you're not using a single old weird decade old 100ft hdmi cable for both--but it might just be that tv is having a hardware problem :/

Also maybe ask in the IYG thread for home entertainment, possibly someone else has had this same problem

this one here

doctorthefonz fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 8, 2020

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Yeah that stuff can be super frustrating, I thought I was losing my mind before I did an a/b test with prime video on my tv vs pc, then confirmed when this new tv had the same desync problem

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

And I wonder, if no vid input is plugged in but you can access the TV's UI does the OSD have audio desync too?

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

The Grey posted:

People probably know this, but Costco has the 65" for $1,849 now. It comes with a $100 Hulu credit too.

Were people complaining before about Costco's delivery? Would it be better if I went and got it in person?

If you can get it in person, absolutely do that. Just beware that the boxes these new big ol TVs come in are enormous so check out the box dimensions first and make sure it'll fit in your vehicle. Costco failed to do the 'white glove' unboxing for me and it was a motherfucker to wrangle the 77" CX alone. If I'd had access to a large enough vehicle I'd have absolutely gone and picked it up instead.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Listerine posted:

It's all hit or miss, Costco farms out the last mile to local delivery companies, some are better than others. I had excellent White Glove delivery once it got here, but it took 6 weeks for the 3rd party shipper to actually put it on a truck.

I have no idea how you managed to do that without another person, it's such a large panel.

mcmagic is right based on what i've read in this thread before and after I bought mine. Through Costco online it was shipped by Innovel although idk if that's the actual name of the trucking company they use or whatever--they had a class B box truck with a liftgate. The delivery folk said no dice on unwrapping/box removal after they got it inside, and to Listerine's point, I am about 6' tall and p muscly and I just barely was able to get it up on my TV stand (~20" off the floor) by initially levering it on my huge sub-zero work/freezer coat being extremely careful not to apply pressure to the panel. Then, I picked it up with my right arm and gently balanced it with my left arm and gingerly placed it on the stand in front of me. I emphatically recommended NOT doing what I did because it was def careless & dangerous lol but one of those situations where I trusted my beef ya know

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Pulled the trigger on the CX 77'. It's coming the same day as my PS5.

You're gonna have a great time, I've been absolutely loving my big ol CX so far. Can't wait for the PS5 either, so stoked

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I made a big post about it when I got my 77" CX but what I did is laid the console face down on a big fluffy blanket, making sure to smooth it out and square up the front, and attached the base. Then, I carefully wedged an enormous freezer jacket of mine (carefully folded, no zippers touching the screen) under it and I kind of stepped it up from there and grabbed the base with my right arm and sort of bicep curled it up while caaaarefully steadying it wiht my left arm & chest. It was heavy and a big pain in the rear end alone but I felt confident that I didn't put any undue pressure on the screen or edges. Now here I am, over 1k hours on it with zero sign of burn-in and I'm happy as a clam with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Booyah- posted:

is there any way to check if my lg cx is actually displaying at 120hz (if that's even possible)?

I'm running a game on it that should be outputting 120 fps according to steam but visually i'm pretty sure it's not running at 120hz

Make sure you're plugged into the correct HDMI port for 4k/120, then maybe open up steam settings and turn the FPS counter on?