Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want 4K. Now. I see the Vizio 50" at Futureshop for 929, seems like I cant go wrong.

I kinda need 2 TVs though, one for my office and one for my bedroom. I'm fine with relegating my current Samsung to the bedroom, but for the office I need something that will double for gaming, and now that I have WQHD on my monitor, I don't want to be stuck with 1080 for games. Will a 4K TV be able to show 2560x1440 or just jump from 1080 right to 2160?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Target had this "Element" one for $449, but I couldn't live without at least 120hz now.

I just had this great vision though of those 4 TVs all together connected to a million dollar PC. I don't think you could get enough Titan Z's in a rig to power 16k

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh wow I hadn't thought about that. Will I have to get something super high end to do 120hz at 4K?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So if I get 4k I have to watch it in ultra slow mo 60hz? I guess I'll do something else with my money for now like pay some bills or something stupid like that

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Okay I want to get this straight here.

If I buy a 4K tv that is advertised as 120+hz, will I only get that effect on 1080 and below? Is this a limitation of current HDMI standards? I know panels usually aren't actually 120/240hz and its just a processing effect but either way will I be able to take advantage of that once HDMI version whatever comes along?

nostalgia: do not buy the Microsoft keyboard/trackpad all in one. I have it, the trackpad is absolutely useless.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 7, 2015

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm all confused between PC displays and TVs. I've wanted to get a 4K TV for some time but I'm concerned I'll lose 120hz functionality, but then I remembered that you don't truly get >60hz on TV's its just a processing effect, whilst my PC monitor is as advertised...is any of that correct?

^^ I think that would come down to what the sound bar supports. Something relatively new and with HDMI connection should certainly support ARC I would think.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

K shitlords whats the current news on 4K? Tizen? Moved to a new apartment and while I've been seeking to upgrade for a while, 46" just wont cut it in the new living room. Two buddies of mine have just bought LGs and I really like the new webOS system, however I've never really seen a LG with a picture I liked. My Samsungs have given me nothing but trouble but I'm not sure what other choice there is. I've considered Vizio as well but I'm not sure whether I'd be better off spending a bit more and going back to Samsung again.

The main thing is I cant go back from 120hz (yes I know its just a processing effect and the panels aren't truly 120hz- I think?), but on 4k input can this smoothing effect still be produced?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

KinkyJohn posted:

Anybody know of a not-too-expensive build for playing 4k? Are zotac boxes still good or should I put something together myself? I want something small and capable.

You surely must mean just playing video and not games? I don't think there is a cheap way to play games in 4k yet.

I'd just like to say I hate all you yankee doodles. "1080p models are hard to find" fucks sake. Its bad enough up here but on the east coast its worse. I go into best buy hoping to see the Samsung 7100 for myself but they didn't even have it, or much of anything else. And go to Costco.ca and see what they have in TVs compared to the US site. Take the free health care I want a decent shopping experience

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ughhhhh the JS8500 is $3000 on sale at $1000 off and the 7100 is still 2299 at best buy :canada: loving jesus can it really be that much difference to be worth it over the Vizio? ($1229 right now). I keep seeing stuff "if you're watching sports or gaming.." the drat thing will be 90% used for watching hockey, occasional movies and even more occasional PS3. Yes I need 4K

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They have a display model Vizio P602ui-B3 left on clearance at BB and the reviews look okay. I'm weary of buying a display model TV though, but I guess it doesn't matter all that much if you get the warranty anyway....?

I could also go to Costco and get the M60-C3 for what would be about the same price with the cheaper warranty

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 22, 2015

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My brother just went and got the M65 so now the pressures really on for me to get a new TV. Ideally I want one before hockey starts up again. The M55 is $1100 at best buy right now. RTings says codec support is limited? The only smart TV feature I need is the built in media player which I regularly stream off my NAS from, are there common file types that wont work?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So my brother got the M65-C1 and he had it set up and testing it out, he said it started to flicker and then just before I got here the screen hosed up, no flickering now but everything is vertically stretched, so you can only see half the image. On boot you can just see half the logo at the bottom of the screen. Tried a factory reset, he's on the phone with them now and they got him to unplug and hold the power button for a while, no dice. No worries on warranty but I'm convinced it's just something stupid.

Yeah turns out it's physical. Touching the edges of the TV makes it come back but it keeps flickering. Oh well

codo27 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 6, 2015

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I guess there's no easy way to single out the cause of ARC troubles is there. Works sometimes, then it goes intermittently. Tried a couple different HDMI cables, but the ones I have are not new or great by any means. I'm soon going to flip. In the NHL off season my only use for the TV is streaming from the NAS

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Send me one too, motherfucker. At $~1199 :canada: I've made up my mind. Of course the LG 55" 4K often goes for $1289 but I'd rather give Vizio a try. The next Samsung to it is about $500 more and only 60hz I believe, not to mention the TV itself looks like a budget model.

Pretty good that the arse is falling out of the economy and I myself only have 2 months tops left to my current job and unsure whats next after that. But drat it I need a new TV!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the deal with these Vizio D series I see on costco (:canada:) lately. Started out with a 58" that was just a tad more expensive than the M55 so seemed worth the extra 30 or 40 bucks whatever it was for a few more inches. Have gone down and now is 80 bucks cheaper. Holy gently caress somebody give me a job so I can buy a new TV.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Guess this is better here than the audio thread. Having an elite PC its not a fair comparison to the PS3 but man some of the games, it cant be right. Even Rocksmith, and I was trying Demon's Souls last night and it was jittery as gently caress. Now I'm a fiend for the 120+hz motion rate and all that stuff, dont know if that would be causing any grief but I was wondering about something else as well. Do most of you who have receivers and TV with ARC tend to run everything into the receiver or just plug it all direct into the TV and just run one cable to the receiver and let ARC send the audio that way? Its a fuckin jungle back there and before I go unplugging poo poo I'd like a little input.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How are the Vizios when it comes to the soap opera effect aka the way everyone everywhere should watch everything?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who knows anything about TV repair? There is a 47" LG at a local pawn shop in their "handyman corner" that "wont stay on". Its only 99 bucks, to me that seems like its probably an easy fix, but I dont know much about the internals of LCD's and have never had one apart. Its an LG 47LK520. Girlfriend has a little old 32" Samsung in her basement so if its not a tough fix I wouldn't mind paying $99 for it for her as an upgrade.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want a big rear end (70"+) 4k at least 120hz tv. Not really in a big rush, I'd settled on Vizio as what I'm going for when I buy. Just saw the Sharp LC75N8000 at Costco for 2499 (Canada), I'll pay double that for the P series Vizio. What's the consensus? The motion is a big deal to me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What's up fellow Costco shoppers? I have bought basically all my electronics EXCEPT my TV from them.

I'm only looking at my second TV purchase in 6 years now thanks to Future Shop's warranty. I started with a Samsung LCD in 2011 that would be considered fat today. Got repaired once, then second time they had to straight up replace it and it wasn't available anymore so I ended up with a newer LED thats still fairly thin even by all but the ultra high end standards today, although I always liked the picture on my original LCD better. And when I got the LED, they tossed in another 3 years warranty for free, but I wasn't able to use it because the single dead pixel I have is a "just live with it" case and I could never find out if my occasional ARC troubles are in the TV or my receiver.

Which brings me to my long winded point, the reason I'm planning on going to Costco next, is a 5 year warranty is going to cost me at most $99, instead of, I fear to check what BB might charge if I bought something expensive. Went to BB yesterday basically out of boredom, saw they charge a sensible and not ridiculous at all $149.99 for a surround sound setup. Those magnificent bastards. But in Canada and especially here on the east coast, choices are slim.

How much difference is there going from an E series Vizio up to an M and a P? Sports (hockey) are my biggest concern. I mean jeez the 55" E series is ~849 and the P series is $1849. Cant be worth over double can it? Looking for a 120hz panel as well if you are about to make any suggestions, I'm not locked into any brand.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who the holy sweet jesus could possibly gaf about the Vizios not having a TV tuner? Go buy a big new 4K TV and watch over the air TV?

The P series 65" just went on sale on Costco, $600 off so $2199. Its only $300 more than the 70" E series, I feel like thats worth the increase in price and sacrificing 5". I mean to me it really is just a display, nothing as far as features matter, I wont use the smart features, I wont be using the built in speakers, so none of the supposed shortcomings will matter to me I dont think.

Something else I just picked up in a review and I wanna be sure about. The soap opera effect is very important to me. Is that possible with 4K content yet, on any displays? The review of the P series I'm looking at says its really 120hz, effective 240 but only 60hz@4K

codo27 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 30, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seems very cut and dry but if I buy a mount on amazon that says up to 65" and VESA 400 but its a 70" TV I'm looking at thats well within the weight restriction and is still VESA 400 it will be okay right?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I can't believe all you guys talking pro 3D. 6 years now I've had it and aside from the first 3 months when I invited everyone who came over to try a demo of it I've never used it. Even in theater it's a bust.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF the 70" Vizio E series is down to $1699 at Costco in Canada now, I guess probably $1689 in store then if it follows the trend of the prices I've seen online before. So tempted to just sign up for the drat mastercard and buy it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still just kicking tires but as I'm doing research here it seems the TVs I had picked out are all 60hz, which I dont want. Whats out there in 4K+65+"+120hz? I was leaning towards a Vizio E series but it seems they are 60hz, even one of the M series I looked at was.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ugh forget the OLED even those are too much right now unfortunately. The 55" versions of the Samsung and Sony are 1599 and 1999 right now. Money aside though from what I've read about OLED its out for me atm because motion is very important to me. How important is HDR? I would say for me clarity is more important that color when it comes to my picture. I want things to be sharp. I game here on PC so I'll only ever be watching hockey on whatever I buy, with the occasional movie and TV show thrown in. I guess I should "go to the store and look at them" but to me it seems you either get some lovely signal split to every TV or the super over produced test suite that nothing else will ever look as good as.

Anyone have a Vizio D series? I may settle for 60hz given some of the reviews I've read about the motion effects on some of them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I would think a Vizio D would still be head and shoulders above your RCA/Westinghouse/etc? But yeah I know, as time goes on though I keep lowering my standards as I itch to upgrade.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yes I am in Canada and I am an interpolation junkie, I wouldn't watch anything without it anymore

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think if you dont like the motion interpolation you might as well go get an old black and white floor model and watch it connected with coax

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've never watched that show nor do I care about it or its archaic creators. If you want to watch slow motion, thats fine. I prefer more natural, true-to-life motion

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If I looked out my window and saw people walking down the road at the same speed as TV shows and movies without the added compensation of modern displays, I would say, "hey man, why are you moving like that?" to which they'd probably respond "hello, I have been sent here from the realm of 4:3 and VHS!". Of course then I would direct them to the nearest landfill to be buried expeditiously. I cant understand your resistance to watching television where things have motion closer to what you see in real life. Its not like its fast forwarded like a facebook recipe video.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm aware of how the technology works. Alas, it works. I just put on an episode of Frasier here on my PC and just the tracing out of the skyline in the intro makes my eyes bleed without the interpolation.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You can just use optical yes, but does the TV and receiver have ARC? Inputs should be labeled as such. Also, are all the inputs on your TV 4K @ 60hz?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spend the money on a proper audio system. Profit. If you care about sound enough to ask the question, just do it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up a Pioneer home theater in a box deal 3 years ago, came with a proper receiver with 4K passthrough and all 5 speakers+sub. Paid $279 CAD and for anyone looking to upgrade from built in speakers its great. You can upgrade speakers as you go along.

Oh my loving jesus I am trying to look into the X900E but Costco doesn't carry it in Canada, not right now anyway and its loving $2800 at BB + the ridiculous cost of their warranty.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 28, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Kodi thread would be the place but spend a little more and get something like this. I've used the X96 and it ain't bad but you'd profit from upgrading to something like in the link with better hardware.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know you all hate me and the soap opera effect but help me out here. I know the Vizio M comes recommended, rtings says it doesn't have motion interpolation. It does have "clear action" or some poo poo and I know it's all marketing jargon but can that produce the soap opera effect at all?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Also, I thought that the M series Vizios have true 120Hz tech while the E series do not.

Last year's does. Not this year's

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

henpod posted:

Sup guys,

Probably going to get the Hisense H55N6800. Does anyone have any experience/advice on that? Seems to be a good all-rounder for the price, but i'm a little worried about 'buy cheap, get cheatp' as it is easily the 'best value' set out there.

Buy warranty. I'm not sure how it stacks up in the states but in Canada, you just cant beat Costco because the 5 year warranty is only 99 bucks even on the most expensive TV they have. I think its 29.99 if the TV is under 500, 59 or 69 500-999, and 99 for over 1000. Walmart isn't bad either, my friend had a 32" smart TV for his kids room, netflix started asking them to sign in every time for some reason. They had the warranty, and when they called, they sent them out a check for the value of the TV no questions asked. TV works fine aside from that and they dont have to send it back or anything. I think thats a win.

What I came in here for. This is my current setup. I am hopefully soon gonna be upgrading the TV, and I wanna wall mount it and ditch the whole unit I have there now, and I was thinking of just having custom shelves built into the wall for all the devices. I've had a couple of ideas on that and I want some input. I've thought of having them all put in the corner in a vertical column so everything is tucked away nicely, this would please my OCD. I've also thought of having a shelf made for each individual device and laying it out like platforms in a Mario game or something underneath the TV. Or I could just have a couple of long shelves put in, and it just came to me now the idea to have them taper out at the ends so my towers fit up against them at the angle they should be. Thoughts/ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

so pausing takes about 30 seconds as you wait for it to wake up, resync, go into menu, pause etc.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14030

They have a MP branded one too, or did, which I got for the gfs Xbone and it works fine. Think it was 11 or 12 bucks or something .