Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009
I just bought a UN40ES6100 yesterday for $750, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these. I'm mostly using it for TV/Movies via an HTPC, and games (I have a video box that does composite->component, and I throw the TV into 4:3 mode).

Couple quick questions:

I've found that I have to use "Movie" mode to keep the thing from changing backlight brightness on me dynamically, and that prevents me from using the "game mode", which supposedly reduces input lag.

Is it possible to get 1:1 pixel mapping on 1080p TVs of this size? For my HTPC I put it into "screen fit" mode, and it doesn't seem to overscan, but is this the way to do it?

I notice at higher backlight levels when there's an all-black screen, I get a somewhat blotchy (non-uniform) backlight pattern, is this worth returning the TV over, or is it par for the course with edge-lit models?

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

Televisioninfo said the screen uniformity with edge lighting is somewhat problematic.
The ES6100 specifically says this:

Depending on how similar your remote and user interface are to mine...
Menu -> Picture -> Advanced Options -> Dynamic Contrast -> Off

For your HTPC, if it's Windows, make sure the monitor res it's outputting to is set to 1920x1080.
And check how your HTPC front-end (XBMC, Plex, etc.) is set for outputting your media.

Thanks for the information. My "HTPC" is a raspberry pi, and I finally managed to get it to do 1920x1080@60Hz with more than 16-bit color, and https://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test looks quite a bit better (especially on the black level tests).

I definitely turned the dynamic contrast off, but I have found that the LED-dimming feature causes more issues than it's worth when fading to black when playing games. I'll give it a shot for watching movies and the like, since it should work a bit more natually.