Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm currently shopping for a good TV and sound system to go with it. Having gone and looked at TVs we both agree the 65" LG C9's image is reason enough to forego bigger but lesser-quality screens. I've got the following concerns about buying right now:

1. I've been burned by buying the first model TVs with a new HDMI spec, and plan to use a PS5 with this TV next year. Is the HDMI 2.1 spec on the C9 a complete implementation, or is it one of those cases where the screen can support 120Hz 4k HDR, but none of the inputs can?
2. The ethernet port on the C9 is 100Mbit. We have gigabit ethernet in the wall where the TV's going but spotty WiFi. We're likely to use other sources for streaming most content, but if the TV's apps can't get a 4k stream that seems like a reason to wait.
3. Speaking of all those streaming sources, we've got more that we use regularly than most TVs have inputs for. At minimum we've got the cable box, fire stick, and Playstation, but I want to have some way to play physical media in HDR 4k, an Apple TV is around, and I've got a long-term project to get a Plex server going. Obviously we don't need all of those things all the time, but it'd be nice to not use every port on the TV immediately.
4. Where is a good place to buy a good articulated wall mount for the TV? The C9 is so thin I don't want something that needs muscle to move, but it can't be so smooth the TV just flops around.
5. I want the simplest possible setup for streaming inputs and audio, so I think the solution is to have devices plugged in to the TV and then ARC (or optical) feeding a sound system. I'm fine with something complicated but I live with someone who regularly yells at an iPhone. What we have now (a switcher feeding the sound bar feeding the TV) has too many places for him to lose the signal and get frustrated.
6. While we definitely want an external speaker solution of some type, we don't need surround speakers (and have no way to run wires back there anyway). A soundbar+sub seems like the easiest way to get what we want, but I suspect we can get better sound more cheaply with some good bookshelf speakers.
7. If the answer to all of this is "get a receiver, plug all your stuff into it, and then get some decent bookshelf speakers and a sub," what should I be looking for? I would have the same concerns with supported HDMI specs as I do above. Are controls standardized enough now so that I can use the cable box remote to turn on the entire thing, control the volume, switch inputs, and change channels or whatever? If not should I be looking for a same-brand solution for TV and audio?
8. Am I overthinking this? Overthinking things is my jam, so probably yeah, but if everything just plugs and plays with everything else right now I'll happily turn off the brain and buy whatever.

Ultimately while we'd like a cool new TV, we don't have to buy right now so if all of this stuff is more likely to happen next year, we can wait. Online resources so far seem great for everything but rating ease of use and ease of integration with a sound system, but if anyone has recommendations for that I'd love to see those, too. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Newegg (through Gameliquidations) has the 77" C9 for $3700: https://www.newegg.com/p/16C-000P-003S1?Item=9SIAJKJ9H94995

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

papa horny michael posted:

I heard there are gamers who do this for reasons. Anyone know more about it?

Not 20" Coby TVs, no, but retro gamers like the following things about old tubes:
1. There's no input lag. Digital TVs have an innate lag between input and display due to all the processing they do, and the (usually) sub-par chip that handles converting the analog output of the game system into digital for the TV to display adds even more.
2. Phosphor glow and other artifacts of CRTs adds a sort of natural motion smoothing and anti-aliasing to old games. To people who grew up with them it looks better than a digital screen, even though a panel is more accurate.
3. There isn't any filter between your source and the screen. Digital processing that looks great on movies often looks terrible on games. This is less true now than it was in the recent past.
4. An enormous amount of ~*feels*~ around playing the games they loved as a kid on the TV they dreamed of as a kid.

When I first got into QA there was an enormous Sony widescreen CRT in the lab that we would start fights over to play Street Fighter II on. It was gorgeous and I've never seen it look prettier. It also weighed like 500 pounds.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Fedule posted:

Oh man. Learning that I was wrong about HDMI 2.1, VRR and the C9/X has messed me right up.

I was holding out. I've got a plan. I was gonna get a CX during Black Friday, after getting a PS5, and probably also after moving house.

Now I learn that after all this time the C9 is not only on par but actively superior (in a way that I would definitely care about), and cheaper, and probably not on shelves for a whole lot longer...

...I don't like being in this position at all.

The thing is that there are no 12 bit HDR 120Hz 4k sources that currently exist to use up all that 48GBps of bandwidth the C9 has. It's also important to note that the screen on both models "only" displays 10 bit HDR, which both models' ports can support at 120Hz 4k. It's all theoretical at this point and there's nothing out there a consumer (or reviewer) can plug in to both tvs to try to see the difference.

It might be a Problem! It might not! We're all guessing here.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Prime Day is in no way similar to Black Friday as far as deals go. It appears to be when they discount all the crap that hasn't sold so they can clear space for stuff people want. I'd be surprised to see any deals on OLEDs.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

American McGay posted:

MicroLED works fine right now, you just have to have a 200" TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQJ4v8QkEAw

Yeah, OLED seems like it's sliding into its mature phase to me. Costs are steadily dropping and it doesn't look like there's world-changing tech at the same price point in the next few years. HDMI 2.1 and VRR are the big things that I wouldn't want to miss.

If I hadn't lost $10k+ in income this year due to Corona I'd be getting that Costco deal, which matches the best Black Friday deal (from a sketchy site) I saw on a C9. Truly the worst tragedy is missing out on all those savings.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Part of it is that sound is largely unquantifiable, highly listener-dependent, and depends more on the layout and characteristics of the room than video does. A thing that sounds good to you might be grating to another person. Something that is ear-catching to you might be completely inaudible to someone else. Speakers that sounded great in the store might be boomy in your living room. Everything's subjective and everything can change based on who's listening or what they're listening to.

Another part of it is that audio culture easily disappears up its own rear end, and people easily develop biases that are nearly impossible to shake. Sometimes companies have a "sound" they strive for, and every piece of equipment they make is meant to fit that profile. Sometimes companies have a reputation based on what their popular line of speakers in 1987 sounded like, and people will cargo-cult repeat that adage for decades. Sometimes people have their mind blown by a particular setup and believe that no one can possibly enjoy anything less than that.

Get something that meets your needs and works in your space for what you like to watch and listen to, and then enjoy it. Trying to follow rules made by people who are not in your house listening to your equipment that you bought with your own money is a recipe for madness.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

You might find enthusiast buyers for those old plasmas. Won't be a ton, but I'd at least search the model number before refitting your bedroom to be a TV hospice.

Also channel 3 worked for Atari AND Intellivision AND the VCR, so it was clearly superior to 2 or 4.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

The Rev posted:

Huh, I didn't know you could buy booze w/o a membership, or perhaps it's only certain states (this store in in NJ, but I live in PA). Do you think the extra warranty and Hulu credit apply to instore purchases (if they actually had TV's in stock)? That's really what seems to be making this deal a ton better than other locations.

The alcohol rule will differ by state (states with strict rules often require the alcohol to be sold by a legally separate entity), but you can always go in any Costco for the pharmacy. Of course you can't check out with anything without a membership...

PBUC

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

So I'm assuming that the TV->Audio System eARC cable doesn't need to support 48GBps. What does it need? Just ethernet?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Also remember that for the CX at least (and I'm assuming the C1), the screen itself can't display 4k/120hz/12bit HDR. 40Gbps supports the hardest you can drive the screen, so even if there is eventually 4k/120hz/12bit HDR content, the C9 still won't be able to display it, despite supporting that extra bandwidth.

It's very much a theoretical mountain out of a molehill in my opinion. Of course I also haven't bought in to OLED yet, so I might have a different opinion when it's my actual dollars on the line.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

Not a Children posted:

How quickly do LG's OLED offerings drop in price once the new model drops? Considering taking the plunge on a CX but I could wait another year if the C1 might dip to that level in the next year or so

Here's a chart of the 65" C9's price on Amazon (check the "remove extreme values" box): https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07NHQ4CXM?context=search
And here is the CX: https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B0817H41YN?context=search

So it looks like the CX is at or near where it will be until supplies die out at the end of the year, if the pattern holds, and by this time next year the C1 will be at its low and we'll be wondering about the C2 or whatever.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

So right now the 77" CX (LG, 2020) and the 77" A80J (Sony, 2021) are both in my budget range for a TV ($3050 LG, $3500 Sony, both Costco with a free refill). I went looking at them today and in their demo loops I didn't really spot anything that would sway me one way or the other. From reviews, the Sony has better motion processing, but I still saw some judder in a fast panning shot and I didn't get to see the same scene on the LG so I can't say whether it's better or not. I haven't seen a G1 and am informed that it is unlikely that I will.

I was able to look at a C1 vs the CX/GX, and an A90J vs the A80J, and couldn't really tell a difference there, either, but again, there were no side by side demos with the same size screen. Like, the A90J looked a little sharper to me than the A80J, but that could also be down to pixel density comparing the smaller A90 to the bigger A80. Also the A90 isn't available at 77" for Reasons.

Am I correct in thinking of the A80J as being equivalent to a B1 and the A90J as a C1, or are the models closer together on the Sony side? Is it more like C1/G1?

From my perspective I think the combination of the better sound, newer processor, and higher number of HDMI 2.1 ports on the Sony makes it worth the price difference over the CX. From reading reviews, I prefer the Sony OS as well though I haven't lived with either so I can't say for sure. VRR is not a concern for me at the moment and I am assuming the Sony firmware will be updated before I can find a PS5. Am I missing other benefits of the CX?

For reference:
83" A90J: $8000 - Nope
77" G1: $infinite - Can't get one
77" C1: $3800 - Bit too high, but would stretch if it were obviously superior
77" A80J: $3500 - In the acceptable range
77" GX: $3500 - Also acceptable range, not sure the form factor's worth the price over the CX
77" CX: $3050 - An excellent TV at a good price, but I think the processor's what's making me think I want a 2021 model.

If anyone knows of screaming deals better than the above I'd love to hear them.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

1. Costco now has the C1 listed online.
2. I want a full motion wall mount suitable for a 77" OLED. Are these basically commodities at this point or is the $320 Sanus Premium FluidMotion(tm) thing actually worth the extra cost?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Unless you have a niche specific function... most cheap mounts work perfectly fine.

Yeah, I'm not going with the $30 models, but I'm not looking to spend $320 if I don't need to, either. Probably getting an Echogear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

I used this one from Echogear, which mounts on two studs and you can slide the centerpoint of the TV to be any point between them.