Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

That Insignia deal looks really good and is the exact size I'm looking for, But are they utter poo poo? I have a friend with one and it looks pretty good but the thing is he leaves it in Vivid mode all the time so I can't really tell if it looks good or not. Would they be comparable to say Vizio? which is what I have right now and like.

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

If you're getting a new plasma screen TV you might as well turn toward this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3299977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 and not a DVD player.

Don't get a "Home Theater in a box", most of them are pretty awful and are convenience over quality and price.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

I'll 2nd the Andrew Jones speakers, I don't have them hooked up to my TV just my stereo, but they sound pretty great for the price range.

I just have some old 2.1 computer speakers hooked up to my TV actually because my room is too small for anything else, and compared to the TV's speakers they sound 100 percent better, so if you're on a super low budget and can't afford anything else, they'll do the job way better then the TV's built in speakers.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Blu-ray isn't what is was a few years ago. Most of the disc are pretty cheap and you can get great deals online and even in stores. I wouldn't bother with an upconverting player. You could get a decent Blu-ray player that still upconverts DVD's in that same price range and you could just buy Blu Rays as you went along.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Not from my experience, but I've never heard anything good about LG TV's here or anywhere else.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

DuckConference posted:

What TV should I be looking at? I'm looking for something around:

- $500
- 42"
- 1080p

3D and 120Hz are irrelevant, and I have a slight preference for something WITHOUT smart TV features.

There seem to be LG, philips, and toshiba screens around this price point, and the LG 42LN5300 seems like the best one of them, but I'm curious if there are other options to look at.

I have a 40 inch Vizio M series from around that price point and it's pretty great, and the smart features don't add on any value to the TV, if it's a good TV they're practically a freebie nowadays. Besides they're pretty easy to ignore.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm starting to think about upgrading my old TV, a 720p LCD Vizio that I got in 2007. It's served me well, so I'm inclined to stay with Vizio.

Can anyone speak to the differences between the M401i-A3 and the E420i-A0? Both of those are in the $500 price range I set for myself, but the strange thing is that the larger of the two is actually about 50 bucks cheaper.

I'm leaning towards the M401i-A3, just because I like the aesthetics of the TV much more. It's much sleeker looking, and seems to have a thinner bezel, which I love. Although I haven't seen either TV in person yet.

I did read one review that said that even though this TV is advertised as a 120Hz tv, it's actually a 60Hz panel that does tricks to achieve a 120Hz effect? That really sets off warning signs for me, as the only reason I want a 120Hz panel is for smoother playback of 24fps Blu-Ray material. I hate all the tru-motion smoothing effects on most TV's, and would turn them all off on whatever TV I got.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. My main criteria is for picture quality. I don't care about 3D or Smart TV features. I just want a good picture quality with 120hz refresh rate, on a nice looking TV with a thin bezel, and ideally a wide viewing angle, since my TV sits slightly higher than where it ideally would be. Thanks!

I have a 40 inch in the M line and the picture is great, I believe it's better then the E ones from what I've read, and the TV itself is drat sexy. Also the viewing angle on it's great. I can watch it from my chair or my bed and it still looks good.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

According to Vizio's feature matrix, the M401i-A3 doesn't have any sort of motion smoothing. A quick look through the owner's manual confirms the lack of any sort of settings for motion smoothing. So, I do not think you would get any sort of SOE from that TV.

As far as how it handles content, that's anyone's guess. There's no indication anywhere in the specifications of what types of signals the TV accepts (if it will even accept 1080p24) nor what it will do with such material if it does accept them.

I would say check one out in person just to confirm the lack of SOE and see if you like the way motion appears on it. There's nothing to tweak in the settings, so what you see is what you're going to get.

No it doesn't have any motion smoothing, It does have something called "Film Mode" though, which might be for 24p stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

What would be a good TV around 40 inches with above average picture? I have a Toshiba 43 inch Amazon 4k I bought a few prime days ago. But the picture quality on it has never felt too great to me. I don't care much about price just something that looks good.