Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

What we need is more support for variable frame rate. I've seen some content switching between 120fps for panning shots and 24fps for dialogue scenes and that felt like the most natural way to watch anything. Could be refined further to find sweet spots for any kind of scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If you install DD-WRT on your router it'll also let you do that

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

LG was making the panels for all OLED TVs until this year, Samsung would rather have had a diiferent gimmick that looks like OLED on the box from a distance than source from LG. Sony's processors have a fantastic upscaler though, at the cost of higher latency

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Anyone have good suggestions on how to get an ARC sound bar (LG C1 and Vizio v51-h6) audio synced?

I’m having a hell of a time getting it to look right.
if it doesn't have HDMI passthrough, maybe use the optical out from the C1? the TV's built-in apps should compensate for ARC latency but you're screwed with external sources

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The homebrew launcher for LG's WebOS also has a modified version of the YouTube app available. Green button launches a menu that lets you customize adblocking

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

TheDK posted:

LG OLED is game changing. We watch a lot more movies now. I've acquired a new receiver to go with my existing surround and woof.

Looking into ad free YouTube app options.
https://rootmy.tv

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

have you watched any cursed tapes recently

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ARC is also stereo, eARC is 8 channel

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

Have OLED companies fixed the autodimming stuff yet or do you need to go into service menus as per this video still?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qXj-vpX5Q
:eyepop:

this is really conspicuous in Ozark, I was sure it was part of the master. gotta get that service remote

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

On cable, like, an external HDMI source, or an audio cable with the built-in apps?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Paul MaudDib posted:

you get the picture.
well it seems that I don't in most cases

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Mister Facetious posted:

The 48" oled. No contest.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There are separate sets of settings for every input and HDR modes of that input so if you're not in game mode (and you should be, the PS5 sends ALLM by default) you have to turn that off for each, then for the built-in apps (except Prime Video which goes into Filmmaker Mode by default)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

eARC should be good now but I still have trust issues after ARC's half-second delays. Source → receiver/soundbar passthrough → TV will always be the best setup.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

McCracAttack posted:

Something in this chain
The TV gets the less lossy codec that's also faster to encode from the console over 8 channels and has to reencode it to fit in the two channels ARC provides

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Put off getting a service remote until I got pissed at TPC again watching The Whale on the CX as I had to go into the menu every 10 minutes to keep the brightness up. Turns out you can just go to http://webosapp.club/instart/ in the TV browser and enter 0413 to get to the service menu with no special remote. TPC off, GSR off, life's good.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I run the TV line out into a monitor controller and the balanced outputs go into active speakers, no receiver :v:

qirex posted:

IMO having plastic two inch speakers above and behind you isn't much better than not having them. Two 5-6" bookshelf speakers [boxy ones, made of MDF] are the best way to start. You don't need a sub or center channel, I mean they're good to have but just decent stereo speakers will put out more and better bass and treble than any soundbar, even the stupid expensive ones or ones that come with 1 million drivers and "subwoofers" and I use that term lightly.
:hai:
5-6.5" monitors have the perfect sound for media consumption in a home environment IMO. Just cover up your worst reflecting surfaces with some heavy fabric and you're golden

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Question IRL posted:

Then last week, due to the Disney App crashing a lot on the TV, we went back to using the apps on the PS5. And not only was the experience smoother, the sound from the Soundbar being hooked up to the PS5 was leagues better.
Assuming the soundbar didn't come with a room correction mic, check out the speaker calibration process the PS5 firmware got last year, it's really good.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The native player in webOS also supports built-in subtitles, if they're from elsewhere you'll have to mux them in with ffmpeg, but there's a native switcher and everything

Depending on the rip getting sound to work might get annoying as between the C8 and CX LG broke support for lossless codecs

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

still blows my mind that those dark episodes end up looking okay if you turn off TPC and GSR in the service menu. all this time it was some OLED panel preservation bullshit

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hadlock posted:

A pair of Yamaha HS5 studio monitors for $400 would be highly amusing. They're powered so you don't need a dedicated external receiver or amp, but you'd need to come up with some kind of adapter
You can feed a passive monitor controller from the TV's analog out, being just wire and switch boxes they're very cheap.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Plenty digital IMAX theaters still run 2K projectors and it's easy to count pixels if you want. But then you stop doing that and it's fine

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I remember trying to connect a PS4 Pro to a 1080p DVi display, used an 4K-capable converter for this and the console would always helpfully auto-adjust to the HDMI handshake, giving me blank output. There was no way to make the resolution setting stick and I ended up memorizing the button sequence needed to change it after connecting everything.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Televisions Thread: Lg oled

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

good job on the TV swap

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

knox_harrington posted:

Idk why people are being a bit unhelpful but agree a budget would be good.

You gotta know if they should get a smaller LG OLED or a larger LG OLED.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Remember using magnifying glasses irl? They only work when you keep them close to the material. You could get lenses that make everything have a, well, lens distortion effect, but at normal distances it's not going to be magnification

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It sure does seem suspicious that the TV meta hasn't changed at all in 8 years. But it is no trap.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Don't get a 120Hz display to play games at 120fps, get it to play games at 40fps.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You do not have to see the home screen once after set-up, even if you use built-in apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sri.Theo posted:

So I can set it to go straight to OTA tv for example?
When it's set like this

it defaults to last input source (cycling between the HDMI inputs and antenna). if that was TV that's what you'll get