Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Can anyone with an LG OLED CX comment on how well it handles motion? I was eyeing the CX as a replacement for my current Sony x900e, but I'd like to hear more about how it handles fast moving objects. Motion blur and image ghosting are like my Achilles heels, and once I become aware of them, I can't stop noticing them.

I haven't had much of an issue with the x900e in that regard, but since it's my primary television, I want something that will be more future-proofed for the upcoming game consoles and PC graphics cards. I also considered a C9, but it's literally a half inch too tall to fit in the space I have available for it unless I sand down the legs on the TV stand. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I was finally able to find a 77CX. It's impressive that LG can make the tops of these televisions so thin, but at the same time I kind of wish they wouldn't. We were terrified we were going to bend or crack the screen just moving the TV to its stand.

With that out of the way, I'm now trying to find a 10ft long 48Gbps HDMI cable to run from my computer to the TV. Monoprice only carries one make of these things, and it's like 200 drat dollars. Are there any other reputable cable manufacturers to look out for? I'm not sure I trust the sub-$20 cables on Amazon billed as HDMI 2.1.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Looks like Almost Smart wanted to connect a PC. So, while there may not be strict HDMI 2.1 compliance from the graphic's card yet, the bandwidth would be needed if the intent was to push 4k@120 to the display (which, why wouldn't you if you also have gsync to fall back on when the frames dip?)

Yeah, I said screw it and just bought the 25 foot fiber optic cable. Ten feet was really like the minimum I needed, but that would have required a wire running diagonally across the wall from the television to the PC. I'll just stash the excess behind the stand where it can join the rat king of other cables back there. I'll need pruning shears to get through that poo poo if we ever move to a new place.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

My $200 drat dollar fiber-optic HDMI cable finally arrived, and after connecting it to my PC and television, all I have to say is "yep, that's an HDMI cable."

At least I'm future-proofed for awhile. In the meantime, even though I can technically display 4k 120fps content on my TV now, the sacrifices I'd have to make elsewhere to get it running on a vanilla gtx2080 would probably make it not worthwhile.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

$200 for an HDMI cable? Why?

I needed about 12 feet of cable to run from my PC to the television, and wanted a 48 Gbps cable for full compatibility with HDMI 2.1 spec. Cables up to about 10 feet or so are priced reasonably, but once you cross that threshold, you get into limited user-base and active cable territory.

That's when prices get stupid. Funnily enough, I could have got a 200 foot long cable for about $15 more than I paid for the 20 footer.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Just note that Squaretrade doesn't cover Burn In so it's kind of lovely for the OLEDs.

This.

If the SquareTrade plan is thrown in as a free bonus for purchasing the TV, that's one thing, but I wouldn't shell out money for any protection plan that doesn't explicitly cover burn-in. Best Buy has plans that cover burn-in up to five years, but they go for like $1000 above the cost of the TV. When all was said and done, my current CX cost more than double what I spent on my first car (which was used, but still).

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Thom Yorke raps posted:

I'm planning on replacing my TV. I have a ~60" Plasma that I love - I liked the viewing angle and deep blacks. Should I get an OLED TV, or is there a non OLED that is larger and has excellent contrast?

TV will be for movies, TV, some gaming. Budget is under $6000, with cheaper being better but not that important.

I'm looking at the C9 and the Samsung Q90 - the C9 is smaller and more expensive, but it sounds like the picture is better? Can anyone speak to the differences?

A 77" CX or C9 with a 5 year burn-in warranty will run you slightly under $6000. You can save $1000 if you forego the warranty, but I think it's worth the peace of mind. They're arguably the best televisions you can buy at that price point, and nothing else on the market can touch their contrast and viewing angles. The Q90 is an excellent set too though, and whether the benefits of OLED outweigh the price differential is something only you can determine. Try to see both in person if you can.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

Kind of tangential question, but does anyone use YouTube TV with an OLED? Direct TV is expensive as hell for what it is and I'm looking to switch to a live streaming service, but I'm concerned about a red rear end YouTube logo burning out a section of the screen.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

American McGay posted:

What year is your OLED? Red is the worst offender when it comes to static burn in, so it's a valid concern. If it's a 6 or a 7 I'd probably be worried and baby it (I've got some ESPN scorebar ghosting on my B6), but if it's an 8 or a 9 then I think you'll be fine as long as you don't run your OLED backlight at >60 all day every day.

It's a CX, and I wince every time I cast a YouTube video to it because of that blazing hellfire of a logo. It's like they intentionally want it seared into my television screen if not my soul.

Bushido Brown posted:

There's no YouTube logo with YouTube TV.

(ETA: I use it with my LG C9).

This is huge relief. Maybe I'll give it a shot then. Even at $65, that's a deal compared to the $147 I currently pay for Direct TV and renting boxes and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

There's literally ONE TV in the household that plays HBO Max (the Samsung we replaced) and the PS4. What a loving garbage balkanization of apps.

Same. At least I can cast HBO to one of them using Airplay, but having to dig out the iPad every time I want to watch something is cumbersome. Speaking of which, your post reminded me that we have a Crunchyroll subscription that we've been paying for but haven't used in 8 months because none of our televisions have an app for it.