Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I have a 6 year old 32" LCD that I'm looking to replace in the coming weeks; I want to get something bigger, so it probably won't fit my current stand. How easy is it to mount a TV to the wall for someone who has never done it before?

Pretty easy if you know how to use a stud finder and the basic tools. I did it pretty easily for my first time about a year ago. Just take your time and get someone to help you lift it at the end.

And make damnnnnn sure it's level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh hey Seiki's 39" 4K TV is now just $520.

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital...words=seikie+4k

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I have a 2009 Samsung Plasma that I've never babied and I play videogames on all the time and that we've left on while on vacation multiple times and the IR has never lasted.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

False posted:

I cant seem to find a TV audio thread.

Whats the best soundbar / speaker set up for >150? Our TV's speakers suck (of course) and we'd like the ability to also stream music over blue-tooth.
The reviews I saw suggested soundbars aren't great for music as compared to individual speaker set-ups but open to any suggestions.

You're not going to get a great one for $150 really. Or at least not new.

The Wirecutter picked this Vizio as their best budget soundbar:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-soundbar/

You should check Amazon Warehouse as well as Woot. Woot JUST finished a sale on Pinnacle speakers and had some decent 2.1 soundbar setups for $150-200. They were refurbed, but I wouldn't worry about that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

larchesdanrew posted:

I recently got a Vizio e550i-a1 and everything is fantastic about it, except for the fact that it randomly restarts for absolutely no reason I can discern. I've got pretty much everything set at base levels, no extra bells and whistles, and it will randomly restart, even if just sitting on a blank input screen.

Anyone else with a Vizio noticed anything like this?

Yeah that's definitely a defective unit. I'd return it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not really seeing a benefit of putting a dead OS designed for touch screens onto a TV that you can't touch. Doesn't everybody already have some kind of PS3, PS4, 360, Xbone, Roku, Chromcast, or even their blu ray player connected to their TV that can stream Netflix?

Yeah but I think the idea (Roku is making a Roku TV with Hisense/TCL) is that SmartTV's are ideally the way to go for most families, but their current implementation sucks and is way underpowered. So LG with webOS and Roku with hardware integration are aiming to actually make the experience as fast and seamless as possible all while reducing the amount of connected devices.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Veskit posted:

Alright, gently caress this is intimidating.

So I am officially ready to buy my first really big screen TV starting next week. I have budgeted aside an ABSOLUTE WILL NOT SPEND MORE THAN 900 dollars pre tax for this beast. Here are my questions, and I'll try to research from this starting point, but if not recommendations would be super helpful so thank you here we go!

1) I'd prefer to get it at costco just for peace of mind with the return policy and also the initial warranty, but then travel would be a pain. In general could i somehow make up for their prices online that would include shipping and an equitable warranty, or just stick to theirs?

2) The key things is that it is needs to do is be 50 inches, and allow me to stream hockey. I don't have cable and have no plans on it. I have a nexus 7 (2013), so I think I can handle it like that, but I'm not sure if that's a better option, hooking up a media computer eventually or finding a TV with a gamecenter app.

3) I have no systems but eventually I'd like one.

1080P and all that jazz. Thank you so much everyone, if you could just point me in directions I'll start looking.

Lastly I heard this is the best time of year to look for a tv so that's why I'm doing it now instead of later.

I don't have a Costco account, so it's hard to search the site, but this one seems nice:

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-55%22-Class-1080p-240Hz-3D-LED-M551D-A2-.product.100048230.html

55", Smart Apps, 240hz, LED, Passive 3D which could be fun.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Veskit posted:

Slightly out of my price range, BUT what the keys to this tv? Is it the 240HZ and LED that make it better for what I'm looking for compared to the samsung models they have?

Also gently caress 3d.

How do you plan to stream Hockey? Chromecast?

http://www.costco.com/Samsung-60%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-LED-HDTV-UN60FH6003F.product.100072525.html

What's the price on this Samsung? It seems fine, I like Sammys, but it also only has 2 HDMI inputs.

edit: Also Costco's site is horrible. Won't let me see virtually any price (I get that I'm not a member...but seeing your prices might act to entice me to become a member!), and there's like... 8 whole TV's in the 500-1000 price range.

This Vizio, while an economy model, is not bad:

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-50%22-1080p-120Hz-Full-Array-LED-Smart-HDTV-E500i-B1.product.100095770.html

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 11, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I recently bought an LG 42 inch TV, which I'm very happy with in regards to picture quality. The sound, however, leaves a lot to be desired. Anyone have any budget-friendly recommendations for a compatible audio system? 2/1 or 3/1 are fine, doesn't have to be surround sound or anything.

Is this the right place to ask?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-soundbar/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Petey posted:

Q: while perusing the AVS forums for calibration settings for my PN51F4500, I've seen a lot of people offhandedly implying that you should wait awhile before calibrating your TV. Is this true? Will it do damage if I've been dicking around already?

My rule of thumb is:

"Use AVS for specific settings for a specific model and then ignore everything else on the site."

There's some good info on there, but good lord they sperg the gently caress out about a lot of stuff. A lot of people in both the audio and visual hobby areas believe that products need a period of "burning in" or "opening up" or whatever the gently caress they want to call it. It's generally either a.) just made up poo poo or b.) so negligible that the average user isn't ever going to notice.

So..in short.. just get the settings how you want and enjoy your new tv! You absolutely aren't going to hurt it by calibrating it out of the box.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Veskit posted:

OK so this is my last time asking for advice here, I've run into a couple tvs that seem like great deals, but they also seem like they're kind of bullshit.

Costco has a 51 inch Samsung plasma (PN51F5350A) for 600 dollars, and Best Buy had an opened Panasonic TC-P50S60 plasma for 602$. They had pretty much the same specs, but they said 600 HZ true motion blah blah blah. Is the 600HZ a marketing scheme to where it's just overblowing what it really is (past 240HZ), and should be avoided because of that, or are these perfectly fine things to have as long as you're ok with a plasma TV. Also if everything is fine, which TV would you personally go for? Unopened Samsung seems fine to me, but I'm sure I could haggle down the price at best buy more for that opened one, or have them throw in a cheaper warranty.

From what I've read Plasmas are fine for my situation considering I'm not overly concerned about power usage, and the area the TV is going to isn't well lit to begin with. Thank you so much everyone, you've all been a great help.

Most plasmas will have 600hz drivers or whatever they want to call them. It's not the same as a TV's refresh rate in regards to 120 or 240hz, but it's absolutely listed for marketing reasons ("BIGGER NUMBAHS!")

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57548118-221/what-is-600hz/

As far as those two. Either will be fine. Most people go with Panasonic Plasmas, but I'd probably go for the new in box one. Also I have a 50" Samsung Plasma from 2007 or 8 and I love it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Veskit posted:

gently caress I lied about the last thing I had to ask just one more question.

I live at 5300 feet, which may or may not be a problem with some buzzing? I read a few things and now am scared to pull the trigger on one :ohdear:.

I don't plan on moving above 6000 feet with this thing.

I'm guessing it's more AVS "buzzing" comments? Just ignore them. You'll be fine.

I'm at sea level and my Samsung does in fact have a buzz if you are standing in complete silence with your ear to the TV. You absolutely cannot hear it at all in any other scenario.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I work for an full service ad agency (meaning we have a full production company in house) and 100% of our stuff has to be 4:3 safe. There are TONS of people that still have 4:3 TVs. And not only that, but HD programming still costs extra most places and people opt out of that. So even if tons of people have brand new shiny 16:9 TV's... they're still viewing 4:3 content on it :(.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I would return it. Most image retention should go away in like..a few minutes. If that thing is still there, that might be actual burn-in.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Absolutely not true. One hour worth of watching Adult Swim a night for a week left an afterimage of the [adult swim] logo in the corner of my ST50 that took about a month and a half to fade.

Hell, even watching Daily Show and Colbert Report for a full week (4 days) with the translucent Comedy Central logo would take 2 or 3 days to fade completely for me.

Uh that is absolutely not normal.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Over Christmas I got a Sony KDL42W653 and I'm having a little bit of trouble with its USB stuff. I can have a regular exFAT USB stick loaded with videos and it'll play them just fine, but if I want it to work with live TV pausing, the USB stick needs to be "registered" and formatted to NTFS. Whenever I do this, the TV pausing works but any files I copy onto the drive don't seem to be available (the stick doesn't show up at all under "Connected devices")

Is it possible to pause TV and load up my own videos on one stick on this TV or am I out of luck?

My unresearched instinct is that if you have to register it for live TV pausing it probably wants to reserve the whole stick for just that so it always knows what it's dealing with.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just don't leave it on a static image when you go on vacation. You'll be fine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Royal Scrub posted:

There are a few settings on by default on this new Sharp Aquos 4K TV that I don't understand how anyone could enjoy. They're called Motion Blur and Advanced Film mode and holy hell do they weird me out. I turned them off now but those first few hours of watching it were pretty funny. It sounded like we'd all smoked weed for the first time coming up with half-baked descriptions of what was off about it. That's entirely what you would think if you heard our conversation, stuff like "it looks 3-D!", "it just looks all weird when they move!" and "that car looked like it was going too fast!"

I'm amazed they're on by default. Maybe I'll try Motion Blur again when I have some sports on or something but gently caress those settings.

Good to see that poo poo (that I've never heard a single person ask for ever) passing over into the 4K realm of TVs! Ugh.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We just redid a big space at work (converted a block of offices to a large open meeting space) and have a wall that we want to put a 50" TV on. We'll use it for project reviews and metrics display. Biggest factor is latency issues. We'll be using AirParrot/Reflect to send from computers in the workspace to an attached computer and just want to be able to use it without too much lag. I figure we'll be pretty much okay with any TV with a "game mode" (our conference room 60" Sharp TV works fine in game mode), but I just wanted to throw out an ask just in case anybody else had similar experience! Thanks!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Christoff posted:

Think I'm going with this TV, good deal?

VIZIO M-Series Razor LED™

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...4104eeff4f0355f

$480 with $200 dell GC

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...038fa2fb5ac96e1

48" for $550 with GC

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...80f8fff98b77a1a

39" VIZIO E390-A1 1080p LED HDTV + $125 Dell eGift Card $329.99 with free shipping

Or this non-smart one. 60hz instead of 120 though

We just ordered that 48" Model for our workspace and it gets in today. I'll let you know how it is. It was $529 through Amazon ($20 off with Prime shipping).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Christoff posted:

Yeah think I'm going to go with the 48". Pretty decent deal with the dell coupon. Reviews seem promising.

I don't see any Dell coupon deal? What is that?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Christoff posted:

poo poo I'm on my phone there's a thread on sick deals. Add it to your cart and there should be a $200 dell gift card added which they'll email to you in 10-20 days

Well.. .poo poo. Kind of wish I would've ordered from Dell as we actually need to make a computer purchase here!

Anybody had any luck getting Amazon to match gift cards?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boner Wad posted:

How are the Vizio TVs in terms of quality compared to Sony/Samsung/etc and other brands? Is the E-Class comparable to high end?

E class is essentially their "Economy" class. It's not bad, but it's hard to compare it to a brand in general as each brand typically has their own tiers of economy/mid-range/premium (Vizio E/M/P lines for example).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boner Wad posted:

It seems like most brands "premium" line is 4k... If I don't need a new TV right now, should I just wait for 4k to be more mainstream?

Yeah I wouldn't really worry about 4K at the moment. Unless your budget is padded enough to be all "why not?!"

Do you have a budget? Or size/features you want?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I never babied my plasma for a second and watched tons of letterboxed and bugged content. I have never gotten burn in. There was a higher level of image retention right at first, but it never ever stayed long at all. This was on a 2007 Plasma. You'll be fine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wa27 posted:

I just got a Vizio e480i-b2 and it's extremely unresponsive to remote functions. Like arrowing up and down in menus, adjusting volume, and changing inputs. I know smart tvs have notoriously lovely interfaces but shouldn't it be able to do basic functions without hitching?

Using different remotes doesn't help and nothing is blocking the sensor.

We have the same tv and the remote basically has to be pointed directly at the lower left of the tv and no more than like 4 feet away for it to work. loving terrible.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Residency Evil posted:

So with all plasmas being gone, if I'm in no rush I should probably just hold off upgrading my old 42" panasonic plasma for 2-3 years until I can get an OLED or something right?

Hate to bust your bubble, but I don't think OLED is gonna happen either.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I think the general consensus (and I could very well be wrong) was that, for consumer TVs, the production of OLED tvs wasn't becoming as viable as they had hoped and most companies were starting to edge towards giving it up and focusing on 4K LCD instead.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelkanellos/2014/01/03/is-oled-dead-heres-why-the-answer-is-no/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Psmith posted:

Thanks for the responses...I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-APTMM2B-Including-Ethernet-Magnetic/dp/B0012S4APK/ref=pd_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=03W7S0K9YE3133WQZ75E

It has 4.5 stars with like 6,000 reviews and seems reasonably priced compared to what I saw at Best Buy. And it is prime eligible so I can get it for later this week

We mounted two tvs at work with this mount. Works just fine. Annoying how it has go be assembled, but that's my only complaint.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Number_6 posted:

For nine years I've been using a 2005 model 42" Panasonic plasma that I really like and still works, but it's 480p, and I should probably have upgraded years ago to something a little bigger and capable of HD. I'm kind of kicking myself about not getting one of the Panasonic plasmas last year.

But at this point, what's left as a reasonably priced plasma with solid image quality and good reliability? I have fairly limited size options, it's got to be 46" - 51" to locate in the space I have available. Samsung has a 51", "5300" class that looks like a possibility but it looks to be a 2013 model. I see some posts above that like the 60" model of this.

I have lots of old A/V gear so things like lots of component inputs and analog stereo out would be nice but almost no mfgr provides those anymore so why am I even asking.

A 480P Panasonic Plasma?? What model is that? I know they had EDTVs but never realized they had 42" Plasma EDTVs.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-42PWD8UK-42-Inch-Plasma-EDTV/dp/B000AMNZ6E

That is bonkers!!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what's the name of the feature on new TVs that makes video look unnaturally fast? Its the default setting on every tv you see in best buy.

The "technology" is basically "interpolation" where it's creating frames so your frame-rate is much smoother than the source footage. So it'd analyze 24 fps footage, create interpolated frames (like between frame 1 and 2) thereby smoothing out the footage and upping it's perceived frame-rate to something like 30 or 60. People call it the soap opera effect because soap operas are usually filmed in higher frame rates than other TV shows so they have a very recognizable look.

Now, what it's called in the manual will vary depending on manufacturer as they love to brand it as their own tech (CineMotion, TruMotion, blah blah blah). And then on top of that people like to mismarket it as "120 Hz" technology. They are not the same thing. 120Hz is just the refresh rate and doesn't inherently make things run "smoother."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So you can turn it off right?

Yup. Just find out whatever your manufacturer has decided to call it and turn it off. 120Hz can't be turned off as it's not a "feature" as much as it's an "inherent native spec of the tv."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, with a few rare exceptions.

The only one I know offhand was the 2012 or 2013 Sony Bravias at 42". I ran into that when I was shopping for my current TV.

Really? Surely that's not the case... surely. I can't imagine a high profile TV having a native smoothing feature that can't be toggled.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Krono99 posted:

Need some quick advice!

Do I want...

This:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-4...01001&cp=1&lp=1

Or this:

http://electronics.woot.com/?ref=sh_lgo

Thanks fellow goonians!

That Vizio isn't actually 120Hz (the specs say "60Hz Native, 120Hz SPS"). So I'd go with the Sharp if true 120Hz is important to you.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My Samsung from 2008 has zero burnin problems and it's a heavy use primary tv.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pahonix posted:

Any recommendations for a conference room display? Here's a layout that I spent way too long making - the room's on the small side:

The red box is the dimensions of the Vizio 55" M-series (as an example). I was told we'll put a small form factor PC behind the TV on a mount of some kind. Usage will probably be mostly PowerPoint, though I don't want to rule out video being used. We don't have a budget that I know of, but I'd like to give a range of recommendations from budget-conscious to future proofing (e.g., 4k).

The red box looks small in the diagram, but holding up a tape measure on the wall makes me think 55" might be good enough. I'm not opposed to looking bigger... is there such thing as overkill if there's enough wall space?

That's probably as big as I'd want to go. You can put a paper mock up there and see if you want.

On a more helpful note, we recently did this with a little NUC (intel small form factor machine) mounted behind a 42" Vizio E series. Works perfectly!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sappo569 posted:

That's probably what I'm going to do, was just wondering why it was being such a pain in the arse.

Any idea on the ARC switched HDMI port acting weird?

There isn't some store demo mode turned on is there?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Earwicker posted:

Hello, I apologise if I am in the wrong place.. have a mediocre Insignia high definition television that I bought a few years ago and it has been pretty ok but it recently developed a strange problem, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows whats up

Basically after turning it on at some random point either the input menu or main menu will pop up and start scrolling through all of the choices, with no input from the remote. If you close the menu with the remote it opens up again immediately. It is weird as hell. The only way to make it stop is to turn off the tv, but if you turn it back on again it happens even quicker. The only thing I can think of is that I recently moved the TV from one area to another (a distance of about 8-9 feet) but it definitely was not struck or damaged in any way during the move. Maybe some kind of interference? Anyway just wondering if anyone has heard of this kind of thing.

Dumb question: Have you checked the batteries in the remote?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

rustyshackelford posted:

Alright with the black friday deals all over the place it's hard not to take a long look at the TVs available and NOT want something. Right now I'm currently looking at this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ID2HGK4 as a replacement for my current TV, which is a 42" LED 120Hz Insignia. I'm about 200 shy of paying with all gift cards which is why I'm drawn to it.

My big question is, should I go for this one? Or wait until the 4k/OLED scene comes around? I have arguments with myself on either side I'm just hoping people with a bit more TV knowledge have any thoughts on this, or can maybe point me to a better deal or TV. Mainly hoping to go through amazon because I have 1300 worth of gift cards. It's obviously not imperative that I buy a TV at this point, but drat if advertising and black friday doesn't have me wrapped around its finger.

Personally I'd wait til either a.) the straight OLEDs from LG come out soon or b.)check out the 2nd gen 4K tvs that come out NEXT Black Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fateo McMurray posted:

My dad is looking to upgrade his old rear end tv. He wants a 40" smart tv (mainly to stream netflix) under $400. Is there any reason he shouldn't get this one? I've never heard of the brand before. Picture quality doesn't have to be the best. He just wants a tv you can see the sports scores on without having to squint because they're so blurry and squished together.

TCL is a bargain-but-good brand. The ROKU TV is pretty decent.

http://gizmodo.com/tcl-roku-tv-review-a-decent-smart-tv-for-a-great-price-1634202171

I'm always for having smart features in a breakout box, but you really aren't gonna go wrong with the TV.