Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Resogun is another one to check out on PS4 with HDR (and yes if you got it way back when around the PS4 launch it was updated a couple years back to support 4k/HDR!). All the particle effects really pop, particularly on OLED. Plus I don't know if it was the lower input lag on the C9 or what but after not playing that for several years I got way further into it than I ever did before.

Tetris Effect should be another good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Tacier posted:

Speaking of receivers, would I be missing out on anything by using my existing 10 year old receiver (Yamaha V667) with a brand new TV? I imagine I couldn’t plug a PS5 into directly into it since it isn’t built to pass 4K signals. Would connecting the PS5 directly to the TV and then using the optical out on the TV to send sound back to the receiver work just as well?

Edit: I guess I could use HDMI Audio Return Channel instead of optical too, if one is better than the other.

You're not really going to miss out on much. You've covered the obvious, and you won't get any super fancy audio like Dolby Atmos. I'd say use ARC if you can, one less cable and optical can occasionally be finicky, and if the TV takes over processing to DD5.1 it may introduce some slight audio lag.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I've not played that one yet but if you haven't done it make sure you go into the options and check for graphic options to set the HDR white point/brightness etc.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

morestuff posted:

I’ve had my TCL 6 Series for a few months, but it never occurred to me that I actually had to turn on the HDR on my PS4. Now that I’m trying, I get a message reading “Your TV does not support HDR.”

I’m still using the HDMI cable that came with the console — that the likeliest culprit?

Is it a Pro or a regular PS4? Only Pro ships with a high enough spec cable iirc. Also I'm not familiar with the tcls but check if it all the ports support HDMI 2.0 or you need to enable support on the inputs on the TV.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

bolind posted:

I recently took delivery of a 65" Panasonic GZ950W OLED TV. I have it hooked up to a set of Klipsch Reference R-41PM active speakers via optical cable (so, TOSLINK.)

I had the exact same setup with my old TV, a circa 2010 Samsung LED, and things worked fine.

Problem is, now, under certain circumstances, there's a very unpleasant "chopping" or "buzzing" sound coming through the speakers. Almost sounds like a square wave. It can be reproduced reliably, and it's mainly when there's no sound coming from the TV. (Everything turned on, but silence.) The Netflix app will do it, both the native one and via an Apple TV. We have a 4k demo video clip that will do it as well.

It almost sounds like a software bug on either end to me, but TOSLINK is older than time itself, so one would think that's sorted by now.

TV has been updated to newest firmware at time of writing.

Wonder if it maybe is because the TV is outputting 5.1 Dolby Digital for that content. I have a similar aged Samsung in another room that will only output 2.0 over optical to a soundbar so might explain why you didn't hear it before. I'd check through the sound settings and look for options to change the output signal format, maybe if you have it just send a 2.0 signal (regular stereo, Dolby 2.0 mixdown like ProLogic etc.) it might help.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Also unless your receiver is a very early HDMI model you should still be able to use ARC to return the audio to the receiver over HDMI which would generally be preferable.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

DrNutt posted:

Unfortunately I didn't look into this poo poo before I bought the tv and the Q60T only has one HDMI input with ARC.

The ARC port should take what is coming in from the other HDMI ports and pass the audio from them back out.

Connect receiver HDMI ARC port to TV ARC, and the console into another HDMI port on the TV.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I'd consider the Vizio system looks like Costco have for $20 more, gets you Atmos and rear speakers which will give a ton more immersion. Vizio is generally one of the highest rated soundbar brands.
https://www.costco.com/vizio-sb36512-f6-36%22-5.1.2-home-theater-sound-system-and-wireless-subwoofer-with-dolby-atmos.product.100459820.html

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Is the TV actually turning off, or just going blank as the signal drops out?

Either way first and easiest/cheapest thing to check is the HDMI cable, swap that out. And hook it up to different HDMI ports on the TV. But after the cable you start getting into most costly/serious possibilities like faulty HDMI port on the PS4 or the TV, or either having some internal issue.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Monoprice have an 8ft 48gbps cable listed for $16 if that'll stretch.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Listerine posted:

I've never used Woot, how are they on returns in the event of damage?

And what's the wisdom on waiting for a CX instead if I intend to play a next-gen console- does the TV processor really matter that much, C9 vs CX? I don't pay much attention to the tech.

Got my C9 55 from them. Returns are easy and no hassle in my experience. Only catch is they may not have stock anymore so you might not get a replacement, just a refund.

But looks like it's sold out already anyway.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Check and see if there are other audio formats in your file, probably be a 5.1 track in there also I would hope, select that in Plex.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Josh Lyman posted:

I would recommend the P Quantum X 75" but apparently it's discontinued. Sam's Club had it for $1600 and apparently Walmart has 1 left for $2077, but Amazon has refurbs with 90 day warranty for $1489.

The Amazon refurb option there is coming from Woot, if you go directly to them it's $1380.
https://sellout.woot.com/offers/vizio-px65-g1-or-px75-g1-p-series-quantum-x-4k-tv-1?ref=w_disc

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Check rtings.com for suggested settings for HDR display that will generally be at least a good starting point, although they may not have tested that TV yet, maybe try searching for some avforums threads or something. Some TVs require setting particular inputs to something like 'enhanced mode' to enable HDR input. If you're going through a receiver that may need settings changes to pass it through. Make sure your PS4 is set to output HDR in the options and the HDR settings are configured there. The game itself may have separate HDR calibration than the PS4, so make sure you check for that and do that also if needed.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Woot have quietly readded refurbished 77" C9s for 3299.
https://electronics.woot.com/offers/lg-c9-77-4k-smart-oled-tv-ai-thinq-1?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I got a C9 55 through Woot. YMMV of course but I mine shipped from a third party refurbisher. Mine was largely flawless except for some scratches on the base. Screen was perfect, screen protector plastic on front and back. You get a 90 day warranty through Woot which in my previous experience with non TVs is painless just keep in mind they may be out of stock and if you want a replacement instead of refund they might not have one. And can buy an additional square trade one if you think it's worth it and can buy after your purchase but after researching Square trade I opted against it. Yep it's a bit of a gamble but if you know what you're getting into the trade offs may be worth it to save a lot. But again YMMV.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Listerine posted:

I'm looking to get an LG 77" CX and had a couple questions, if any of you with LGs could help me out.

1) How do the LG OLEDS do with upscaling HD cable signals? We watch a fair amount of TV on the weeknights over a cable box, and the box stores only ever feed UHD signals to their display sets.

2) Is the unboxing and physical set up of the set difficult? I'm a little wary given how thin the screen is that I'm going to bend it or break it trying to get it out of the packaging.

3) I'm not paying the incredible price for the Geek Squad protection at Best Buy. Out of my other two options, it seems like Costco has the better warranty, you can get 3 years of Squaretrade for free on top of the 2 year manufacturer and they state they cover dead pixels (something like 6 or 8+). Amazon's addon warranty is suspicious and costs extra. Is there any other option I should consider? Burn-in coverage would be nice but I'm not particularly worried- it seems as long as I mix up what I view, I should be safe, and we probably do an equal amount of TV and gaming, adding movies/Netflix on the weekend.

4) Any idea what the clearance would be from the furniture the TV will sit on to the bottom edge of the bevel, once I put the set in its stand? I'd like to leave my cable box there if possible.

1. LG's upscaling is just fine.

2. You'll want at least one other person to unbox. Watch some unboxing/setup videos beforehand. Don't unbox a 77" TV by yourself, especially an OLED.

3. The Geek Squad protection is generally considered the best out there, and although you aren't concerned about burn-in, is the only one that does specifically cover that, and anecdotally seems to be the easiest to deal with. Squaretrade if you get if for cheap/free is better than nothing but lots of stories of people being asked to settle for way worse TVs as replacements or really having to fight to get repairs or compensation otherwise. For what it's worth LG's own support is supposedly very good and has extended to one time out of warranty replacements but YMMV, don't necessarily expect that, etc.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Fedule posted:

This talks about the PS5 and XboxX, but aren't those using HDMI Forum VRR and not FreeSync?

Yeah, having 120Hz HDMI VRR is the key feature, I think FreeSync would have been nice for some people but wasn't expected. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Basic rule of thumb on Forbes 'contributor' articles is ignore them, it's a glorified blogging platform.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

morestuff posted:

Any way to tell if the HDMI ports are 2.1?

Ars says they are not. Which I believe would indicate the VRR 120hz support would be limited to the 1080p or 1440p max you can do over HDMI 2.0.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/tcls-latest-6-series-roku-tvs-move-up-to-mini-leds-start-at-650/

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
At least read through the rtings.com settings recommendations and watch their video it'll help you understand them, and they are a good starting point that in general will get you something a little more accurate. And you can always reset to defaults. But ultimately you do you, choose what looks best.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

PriorMarcus posted:

Hey all, not sure this is quite the right thread for this...

My girlfriend is hard of hearing in one ear and has difficulty picking out dialogue a lot of times. Not all programs have subtitles so it can often be a bit frustrating watching TV for us.

We have a pair of headphones which really help, but obviously that's not an ideal solution. Does anyone think a soundbar would help out?

And if so, can anyone recommend a good mid-price (around £300) one that is available in the UK?

I'm not able to have a full sound system, so just the bar would be great if people agree it might help make the dialogue less muddy.

Yes I have a similar issue with very muddied hearing in one ear particularly at the frequencies of human speech (I really need to get to an audiologist). Have a receiver with speakers in one room, and a decent sound bar in the other, the sound bar isn't quite as good but is a huge step above TV speakers and makes an enormous difference to my being able to hear speech. I don't know what brands are available in the UK, ours is a Vizio which is a brand that I think is US only, but make sure as others have said it has an actual center speaker inside it, and that it allows you to boost that. I find boosting the center can make all the difference, some will also have dedicated modes to normalize the volume, tweak bass/treble like an equalizer, change the bias left/right which all could help.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

The Question IRL posted:

Oh I’d agree. I’m almost certainly not going to be able to tell the difference in sound quality.
Like I’ll go further and say that I’m not going to notice a lot of difference in sound quality in between speaker types or receivers etc...unless it’s a very obvious one.

The reason why I cared was more (from my understanding) that if a Soundbar had eARC, it supported HDMI 2.1 cables. Which meant that when I get my PS5, I can just use HDMI 2.1 cables to connect the PS5 to my Soundbar and another 2.1 cable to go from the Soundbar to the TV.

Alas, it was not meant to be.

eArc is part of HDMI 2.1 but doesn't require HDMI 2.1, so yeah just having eArc support doesn't indicate HDMI 2.1 support. You need to explicitly look for HDMI 2.1 support.

So if you want 4K 120Hz VRR support from the new consoles and you don't have an HDMI 2.1 supporting receiver (I think only one Denon model right now) you'll have to plug them straight into the TV, and then have the TV output audio over either eArc or ARC to the receiver/soundbar.

If your receiver isn't 2.1 and doesn't support eArc and you want Dolby Atmos etc. in that setup, you'd have to use something like the Sharc audio extractor, which takes eArc and converts it to a standard HDMI input, so you set your receiver/soundbar to get audio from that HDMI input instead of from the ARC when playing your new console.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Listerine posted:

Sorry I meant brands, are there any particular brands of HDMI cable I should be looking for or avoiding?

I believe there are still no certified 2.1 HDMI cables right now, so definitely don't buy some random cable off Amazon.

The new consoles should come with HDMI 2.1 cables, as the previous Pro and X releases included an HDMI 2.0 cable, so consider that.

That said, Monoprice is generally reputable and if you do insist on buying any right now, theirs are probably the ones to get:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31231

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Listerine posted:

The Yamaha manual is a piece of poo poo but in the Setup menu I could turn on HDMI control and manually set the resolution- there was an automatic setting but I put it to 4K- and after goofing around a bit with other settings, I get a stable image for gaming, but it's not the 4K RGB, it's the compressed color space one, YUV420 or whatever.

When I enable HDCP though, the image starts flickering a huge amount. If I keep it off, it's okay, but then I can't use the video apps like Netflix.

I got ARC working from the TV, so I can stream Netflix and Prime and have the audio go to the receiver with ARC, but there's no HBOMax app on the LG store. So I guess next step is I'll move the PS4 Pro over so that it's connected directly to the TV, and see if turning HDCP on will cause it to freak out again. Could this be an issue though of the cables not supporting the amount of data that the PS4 is trying to push to the TV?

Make sure both the TV has the 'Ultra HD deep color' input setting turned on also, that's in additional settings for the input if the CX is the same as the C9.

If setting those options in the receiver and the TV don't help then a lot of that sounds like classic cable issues yes. You said they were 15 foot cables I think? I know HDMI 2.1 isn't supposed to go that distance over non-boosted cables so that could be an issue if you bought early to be 2.1 ready. But yes try different cables if you have them, could still just be crappy cables (or one of them at least, connecting the PS4 Pro directly to the TV to test will help figure that out). Also the one that originally came with the PS4 Pro will only be 6 foot or so but is an HDMI 2.0 cable that will work if you still have it.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
When I was looking at OLEDs the thing that made me not so worried about burn-in was the RTings long term test video
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

It's like 'oh THAT'S what I'd have to do to get burn-in'? And I believe most of those TVs are from before the even improved anti-burn in features in the last couple of years like logo dimming, screen shifting etc.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
My issue with a Sony TV was less them updating it to have new features, but rather introducing (and not fixing) bugs.

After Android 8 (or maybe it was 7) was pushed to it, it partly broke ARC. Each time I turned it on the TV would randomly fail to detect the receiver was connected via ARC, and instead start playing out the TV speakers. However, it still did send audio over ARC so there was this weird echo-y effect, until you went into the audio menu and specifically switched it back to 'sound system' instead of 'TV speakers'. I could mostly manage it by setting the TV audio volume to 0 (as long as ARC wasn't connected, in which case it would also lower the receiver volume), but occasionally it would decide to reset the TV audio to some default volume level and start playing out TV speakers again. Also if I Chromecast to it, the TV speakers would immediately turn back on at 100 and give me permanent hearing loss.

Was a well reported issue on their forums and for a couple years they would occasionally claim to have fixed it in a firmware update, only to have it not be fixed. No idea if they eventually fixed it or not.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
And swap cables around to test those, might be a bad cable or one not ultra HD/18gbps capable.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I got one of these monitor risers to put my 55" C9 on so I could put my center speaker in front of it, works well:
https://www.newegg.com/p/2RC-010Y-00019

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

fatman1683 posted:

Does anyone make dumb TVs anymore? I need to get two, a 40something for the office and a 60something for the living room, but I can't find anything with decent specs that isn't also festooned with third-party bullshit. I'd like to choose my own third-party bullshit, thank you.

Not really if you want an actual TV. Just don't connect them to your network.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I've got a good receiver and speaker setup in one room, and a Vizio soundbar in another and the soundbar is just fine and perfectly reasonable for most people. You get way better sound than any TV speakers with vastly less effort and tinkering and all the rest over having a receiver. Is it better than the receiver and speakers after I've run cable and done the room calibration and moved the subwoofer around and tinkered with crossover frequencies and all that, no, but it's a very reasonable proportion of the quality of sound for basically zero effort.

If you're in an apartment/condo or want things to sound better without spending a ton or just don't have the energy to be a super audio nerd get a decent soundbar and be happy.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What's the .2 in 5.1.2? The one is the sub and the five is the satellites, right?

Height speakers, speakers that either go up high or are designed to bounce the sound off the ceiling to give you the feel of sound coming from above. Commonly called Atmos speakers as they're part of what makes up Dolby Atmos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Also some games in HDR use the system level HDR calibration and some have their own in game calibration, make sure to check.