Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zero VGS posted:

It's not, it's a gimmick to sell them for an extra grand.

Yeah, I'd love that LG but I'm not interested in 3D or curved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

LG sells flat oleds for 2015

Yeah but the price is also a factor XD

Probably going to wait for holiday sales and see if I can snag the recommended Vizio 60 inch.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Just had to buy an emergency laptop for a coworker at Best buy and I got to see the curved LG in person. Holy poo poo the picture on that thing is beautiful.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I know the M60-C is the darling of the thread but I ended up going with the Sony XBR55X810C which is cheaper and pretty well reviewed aside from the sound. I plan on getting a soundbar around xmas if I see a good deal so no worries there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

goferchan posted:

Why a soundbar? It still blows my mind that people spend $1,000+ on a TV but then settle for the audio equivalent of a 32" CRT or whatever ..... get some speakers dude!!

edit: I mean I understand if you have space considerations or if you have a shared living situation where you don't necessarily want to crank the volume up. But unless soundbars are nowadays way better than I understand them to be, you can get decent speakers pretty cheaply and have an audio experience as good as your visual one

Apartment living. Eventually I'll get some kind of speaker setup when we get a house but for now a soundbar is just fine for us and the bluetooth speaker option is a nice bonus too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

To put everyone's mind to rest, I'm now looking at receiver/bookshelf setups. I hate all of you.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah I plan on starting with 2.0 and maybe adding a center channel. I'll deal with a crazy setup when we get a house.

And I'm probably going to spend way too much on a nice receiver.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Slowhanded posted:

Spend more on speakers! Receivers have a ton of electronics that break easily and are quickly outdated, particularly at this moment with the gradual shift to 4K. Speaker technology is extremely mature, good ones will literally last a lifetime!

Not to derail the thread but the Denon model I'm looking at does 4K and has airplay/spotify connect, zones, has a fuckload of HDMI ports and looks great and I'm looking at some decent bookshelf Pioneers that can be repurposed as rear channels once we find a house.

I'll also be buying it on my Amex so I get extra coverage on warranty.

So yeah, I fell down that rabbit hole pretty loving fast.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Maka posted:

Definitely going to check out the Sony in person later this week. After reading up on the x810 I'm starting to like it more than the M60.

I can post a trip report on Saturday after I'm done fiddling.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'll take a look around on Craigslist. I live in NYC so it's a complete loving nightmare to navigate and deal with people. But I'll see what I can find on the speaker front.

One thing I do have to look out for is bedbugs which like wood furniture. So second hand speakers aren't very high on my list. Price isn't a big deal to me (within reason) so I don't mind the ones I found on cordcutter. And I'm pretty dead set on the Denon receiver.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

My Sony x810c came in (55 inch). Finally got it set up.

What a great TV. Played some Bloodborne on it and it looked loving gorgeous. Now I'm watching Rangers Senators and the picture is really crisp, no lag. My source is TWC here in NYC which isn't the greatest but MSG looks great.

I still need to fiddle around with setting but so far so good. Now to get some bookshelfs and a receiver!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

X810c update: spent the whole day watching football on it. Picture is loving awesome.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If you can find a good deal on the Sony X810C 55" I highly recommend it. It's great for video games too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zachack posted:

Is $1k a good deal? That's what BB/Amazon have it for right now. I want to say that's the lowest it's been but it's still a grand so I hesitate.

This is upgrading a 40" RP LCD (720p woo!) so pretty much anything will be an upgrade.

It might go lower for Xmas/Black Friday maybe? I paid about a grand for mine and after a week and a half I'm really glad I got it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I can't comment on better but I've been watching hockey and playing Bloodborne since I got home from work on my 810c (55") and it's basically flawless. I have no technical data to back anything up but 2.5 weeks in and I love this TV.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

*Balls rubbed for an extra 500+

I'd definitely go with OLED of you can afford it but that 500 can go towards a pretty sweet receiver.

And the blacks/contrast on the 810c are pretty great. Not OLED great but better than IPS panels.

Full disclosure: I own an 810c 55" so I'm DYPing a bit. I was drooling over the OLED but I figure in 5-7 years I can get one for less than what I paid for the 810c.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I notice zero input lag on my 810c but I also don't play shootmans if that's your thing. Plays Bloodborne a treat though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zack Ater posted:

That was the original plan, but the only spot it could be is too high for comfortable viewing.

e: also, I'd prefer to not drill holes in the wall, I'm in an apartment and would like to get my deposit back :v:

I hear you, I'm in the same spot. Though it's really not hard to spakel/sand/quickpaint when you leave.

Instead I think I'll just get this and plop my center channel in the top middle shelf.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Unless you're playing super precise twitch games like a shoot mans, don't worry to much about lag beyond sub 100ms.

Check out TheCordCutter's list and get what looks good to you and fits your budget. Probably a Vizio.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

EB Nulshit posted:

Is this a thing? Googling for it shows me a bunch of different things from different sites, none of them being obviously for TVs. E.g., one "Cord Cutter's Guide" is just a Verge article saying "this is how much each streaming service costs".

Sorry, I meant rtings.com

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

You can also just get some kind of swivel stand.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Good Will Hrunting posted:

A lot of people complain about "blur" on the Vizio M Series. What would be a good few things to pop on a thumb drive and check out how I feel in store? Sports would be a great thing to test I imagine.

Hockey

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Apparently the 810c just got a HDR update? I have no idea how that happens with a firmware update?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The only time I user ARC is when I'm watching netflix on the TV's app because I'm too lazy to boot up the PS4.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Darilian posted:

Thread, is the Sony x810c still recommended? I've been waiting for the price to drop since November and the 55 incher is back to $999.

I still love mine but if you can afford the OLED, go for that. Mine gets a lot of use every day and its been great.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

BonoMan posted:

And anyone serious about home theater sound is going to want way better than what a sound bar can offer.

Yep. If you're happy with the sound from the TV and want a real upgrade, save your pennies and get a decent reciever and some nice ELAC speakers in a 2.x/3.x/5.x setup.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

My 55" x810c still owns and the apps are good too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

qirex posted:

There's a couple people in here with the Sony X810c, yes? Any long-term ownership problems/quirks? I'm thinking of getting the 55" and 2015 stock is running out and I don't feel like paying $500 more for the 850D.

I've had mine since October. Its awesome. I got the 55" one as well.

The only thing that sucks is when an android update hits it takes a long time to update. I have some dark corners (which I was aware of it being an issue beforehand) which is only annoying if the screen is completely white (like the long white screen you get before Dark Souls 3 loads up). Otherwise I don't notice them.

Also if it's going in a bright room, the picture is going to get drowned out.

Otherwise, I still love it to death.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Microsoft just undercut the gently caress out of the 1st gen standalone Blu-ray players.

Xbox One S will have 4k Blu-ray support for $299 this August.

Does it have IR?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah, Android TV on my x810c is perfectly needs suiting.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Smol posted:

I want a 4k TV with a good operating system. Size doesn't really matter, although I guess around 50" is the minimum for 4k screens. What do I get?

55" Sony x810c

The android Tv is surprisingly good and it's a drat good TV.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Filthy Hans posted:

Some TVs have a special interface with a same-brand sound bar so power and volume are linked directly to the TV so you only need the one remote, that would be easier for my folks than using a different sound bar and the optical cable

That's just CEC which passes over HDMI. Manufacturers slap their own name on it but it's a standard (which doesn't always work).

I can control my Denon with my Sony remote if I want volume wise but I have a Harmony so it's a moot point.

ARC + CEC over HDMI should be available on any modernish TV/soundbar.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

The Philips player is $249 at Target right now (and comes with Creed.) While I know that's like 85% of the cost of the Xbone, it's also using the same platform of the $699 Panasonic player. It works very well.

And it probably bitstreams DTS:X/Atmos so its a step ahead. Can't believe that poo poo on the Bone.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

John Brown posted:

Hey guys, I've been thinking about buying a TV that I'd use for gaming, sports, and movies, almost equally. My only preferences are a max size of 55", and a 120hz refresh rate (or higher if possible). I have an AppleTV and Xbox so the smart capabilities are irrelevant to me.

Anyway, I found this TV through my corporate discount that I could get for $600:

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/55-class-ku7000-7-series-4k-uhd-tv-2016-model-un55ku7000fxza/

Should I go for it?

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku7000

At 600$ I'd say go for it. Apparently there's some judder for movies tho?

If you can get a 55" Sony x810C I would recommend that set. I have it and it's pretty goddamn boss.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

You also get the added benefit of mobile and multi device streaming for your pirated 10 bit 4K anime titties.

Throwing a hissy fit is pretty stupid too my man.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

*whispers* 4K and HDR don't really matter anyway even if your TV supports them *hides*

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Get whatever Sonys equivalent to the X810C is because that's the one I have and it's a great TV.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Android TV is really bad but otherwise I love my Sony x810c.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DTS:X or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

qirex posted:

Hot take: unless you have a dedicated theater room don't bother with Atmos get better equipment for you front 3 speakers instead.

What, you don't like my voice of god speaker in my 1 bedroom apartment?