Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Do you guys have any idea how difficult it is to replace a main board on a Panasonic plasma tv? I had a power surge on the tv a few days ago and not it turns on but none of the buttons work on the tv and nothing displays but the backlight. From what I've read it's most likely the main board that went out. I'm not sure if I should try and fix it or just trash it (it's only about 2 years old).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My 65" M series Vizio is scheduled to arrive today so I'm pretty excited. Where are you guys getting your calibration settings from?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
You guys don't know the struggle until you try and program this beast:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Based on new Alexa support and your guy recommendations I ordered the Harmony hub and it should be here tomorrow. Pretty excited to walk in the house and tall Alexa to turn my TV on. Not so excited to have my daughter come in the room and tell Alexa to put Disney Junior on in the middle of a game.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

I saw Dr Strange on a Cinemark top end XD screen this weekend at a theater that's only two years old. This was first theater experience since I bought my C6.

First reaction? This 3d isn't sharp enough and these black levels suuuuuuuuck. I'm so incredibly spoiled now.

You're really going to make me buy one of these. The price seems to be coming down a bit too. If I can find a good deal on BF (probably not likely) I might pull the trigger. And I know if I buy one for my theater I'm going to want to upgrade my family room.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Going to pick up an LG OLED55B6P today. Decided to do the living room first since we use the TV so much more than in our theater. The Panasonic plasma lives another day.

Now to find some glorious HDR content.

What's the best way to calibrate it without fancy equipment (plan on picking up x-rite at some point)?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Spent about 3 hours rewiring and organizing last night. When I picked up the 55C6P last night I also grabbed a Denon s720w and roku premiere+. Only got a chance to get the tv mounted this morning and later today finally turn it on.

Like Fetko, I'm now on a mission to find the best way to get a decent calibration until I get some calibrating equipment.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Kinda bummed right now. Tried out 3D on the LG C6 and since I have to mount my tv fairly high on my wall due to the built ins the 3d is basically worthless unless you stand up. It seems like on my Panasonic view angle for 3D isn't much of an issue. It's a major issue on this tv, you basically have to be looking straight on for it to look good.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

68Bird posted:

I went back and read the past 30 pages of the thread last night, saw everyone blowing their loads about the LG OLEDs and just purchased a 55" B6 as a result. God drat it.

Welcome. I knew if bull was blown away by it I would be. Been following his recommendations since Panasonic Plasma days.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Can VUDU steam 4K HDR movies? I really want Mad Max but don't have a player yet and looking at the VUDU app on my LG it seems like it should stream in 4k HDR.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

Yes if you have a TV that supports Dolby Vision. Which LG TV do you have again? If it's one of the 2016 models, you are golden.

If the movie you want is Warner, Universal, or Lionsgate, buy the UHD disc and redeem the UV code. Mad Max Fury Road is one of those titles. You should be able to buy the UHD disc for the same or less money than digital only.

I've got the C6.

Good to know, normally I'd just buy the disc but I've been snowed in for 2 days now and want to watch it today.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Anti-Hero posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I may hedge my bets and go for the 55E6 in that case. How is the sound bar on that?

Any reason not to go with the C6? I was hesitant on the curved screen but now that I have it at home the curve is so subtle that I often don't notice it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

lite_sleepr posted:

What the piss. Do I get an HDMI 2.0a or b cable? Do b cables exist yet? HDMI.org makes it sound like they do, and are what I need for HDR to work.

2.0a will work just fine for 4K and HDR.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

lite_sleepr posted:

But how do I know I have 2.0a cables? I just bought a GE high speed HDMI w/ ethernet cable. It says it's certified for 1080P and 4K x2K. Packaging also says it's 3D ready, so I can only assume if it supports all that, it's what I need for HDR.

Yep, it will work. The HDMI cable business is a weird one but anything that says high speed will get you what you need.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Gunslinger posted:

My prized Panasonic Plasma is finally starting to show its age and I've had to repair it a few times. I'm getting tired of taking it apart and waiting for parts from ebay. I can probably keep it hobbling along another year, should I be waiting or are there some good 4k, HDR sets now? I can spend about 2k Canadian on something or save up for awhile. A friend of mine said HDR/4K stuff is just a mess and to wait but I don't know how knowledgeable he is about this stuff.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. 15 minutes of googling and you should be able to answer almost any question you might have. Many of us have purchased LG OLED TVs and have all been blown away.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

More leaked info about Sony's OLED lineup.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/sony-oled-tvs-definitely-launching-in-2017.html

The most surprising thing is the price. The leaked pricing info puts it on par with the current discounted C6 prices.

This is very interesting and tells us a few things if true.

1) LG's TVs may be cheaper still since Sony likes to maintain a premium over other brands.

2) Sony doesn't view this as their top end display since it is quite a bit cheaper than their current Z9D flagship .

Likely, Sony views LG's OLED panels as the only way to affordably reach the midrange market and with the same performance as the Z9D. I'm wondering if they are having issues moving the tech down market, so they need a stopgap solution. The Z9D is going to remain the flagship since OLED can't get anywhere near as bright or big. At any rate, it's good news for everyone. I love my C6, but a part of me wishes I held off until this came out. Sony still has the best motion engine in the business and AndroidTV is a superior platform to WebOS.

This is great. I'm happy that I bought the C6 for the living room and can wait for these Sony's to come out and put one in my theater. Thanks for the info.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Gunslinger posted:

One of the LGs then? I assume I'm shooting for something like this? I don't know anything about TVs so I was looking for recommendations.

That would be the one. That's the B6 which has a bit slower input lag and doesn't do 3D , if those things are important to you. The C6, which I couldn't find on that site is the curved model and it does 3D has better input lag.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Godface posted:

I got handed down an LG television from a relative and I'm really happy with it, but there's an issue, there's only one HDMI port.

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-50PB5600

What are my best options in terms of setting up an HDMI adapter splitter or switch? Any recommendations?

The television came with some cheap basic splitters from Amazon bought by my relative, but they're unreliable, the picture quality through them has lots of flickery pixels.

I'm looking for a solid solution, preferably an adapter splitter or switch that doesn't require an external power and has an input detection.

I have several game consoles and I really don't want to be unplugging the HDMI port every time I go from a Nintendo game to a Sony game.

Thanks in advance.

Any chance of getting an a/v receiver into your setup? If not, check out monoprice, as far as I've heard/used, they're reliable for what you're looking for.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I think you should very confident grabbing a C6. If you are totally against curve I'd maybe wait but honestly the LG curved screen is so subtle you don't even notice it. There are a few of us here with the C6 and I don't think anyone would hesitate buying it again.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
What are some of the better 4k HDR movies to watch to show it off? I'm watching Lego Movie right now with the kids and it's pretty impressive. Only other one I bought so far was Mad Max.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

uwaeve posted:

Same question. I checked out 4K or UHD or whatever on YouTube, there is some cool nature reference material there. Phone posting or I'd put a link.

Roku has a 4k app that links to a bunch of those videos, they're so nice to watch. My favorite to watch so far is The Grand Tour on Amazon.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Anyone else having issues with the web OS software on the LG G6? Anytime I try to use an app it closes out after a few seconds.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
drat, Sony OLED's are $5k for the 55" and $6,500 for the 65".

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Anyone watch Planet Earth II on 4k HDR yet? It seems to be getting great reviews so I might pick it up.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

uwaeve posted:

Yes, do it. It's amazing.

Bought it. My kids should be impressed. My 3 year old has the Rocky Mountain Train movie (4K HDR) and he loves watching it for the scenery.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

teh_Broseph posted:

Pearth 2 discs burning a hole in my cabinet all week, anxiously waiting for an Xbone to show up from eBay so I can finally watch something that shows the glory of the new TV.

It's going to blow your mind. We've watched the first 2 episodes 8 times combined over the long weekend. My kids (7 & 3) cannot get enough of it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ex post facho posted:

drat, that's really tempting, but the C6P is curved, right? Even though it's a significant price cut and includes 3D I don't know that a curved TV makes sense for my living room setup. I've been reading that the cons of curved TVs outweigh the pros significantly until you go with a unit that's 65"+.

It looks like the E6P is an option for non-curved 3D, but is still at a $3K price point.

It's kind of amazing how quickly curved/3D died. Both seem like marketing gimmicks that cratered really quickly. I mean, Doctor Strange in 3D was awesome in the theaters, but I don't have any burning desire to slap on 3D glasses at home, and I can't think of much content in 3D that's even being made anymore.

Same with curved screens, they seemed really futuristic and triggered that cool feeling the first time I saw them in a retailer's display, but I sort of feel like unless you have a massive set or are always sitting directly in front of it, the curve would grow annoying as gently caress over time.

I have the C6 and you do not notice the curve unless you really look for it, it's very subtle. It's nothing like the Samsung curved TVs. If curve is your concern, it should not be with the C6. Seriously, it's an amazing TV, go buy it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

DevCore posted:

I was considering sizing up as the new living space is a little bigger.

When looking at size suggestions, I was reading that the distance:size ratio for 4K TV's were closer to a 1:1 (where as 1080 tv's were closer to 1:1.25-1.5).
To me that doesn't make any sense, but I'm not an expert.

Previously I was maybe <10' away from my screen. I was using a 42" Panasonic plasma which is still going strong.
I'm now maybe 15' away from the screen and it feels noticeably small.

Basically I don't want to pick up something too small or too gigantic. Thinking a 55' or 60' display.

Go bigger. 55 at minimum. I'm about 12' from my 55" and wish I would have gone with a 65".

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

$2k is a tempting pricepoint for the OLED55B6P....

I sit pretty much exactly 10' away from the wall I would be mounting it on. Will I regret getting a 55 inch over a 65 inch? I know this is a pretty subjective question but I am curious what everyone's opinion is nonetheless.

You should be fine with the 55, but if you can swing the 65, do it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, the best handling of streaming UHD content is almost always the internal apps for the TV.

I agree with this.

Still after 9 months of owning a C6 I'm still teaching myself to go to the TV apps instead of firing up the FireTV. Stupid early generation Smart TV's that were trash.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Watching the Planet Earth 2 Cities episode in HDR is rather spectacular.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/engadget/status/885168400703660032

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ex post facho posted:

I wasn't really a believer in 3D until I used my 55c6p, bull is absolutely right that sets not having it going forward is a big loss.

I'm going to start buying up 3D blurays I like cause god drat it's awesome. Only question is where I'd buy more LG specs.

It really is great, unfortunately for me mine is mounted too high to be able to watch them from my couch. Stupid built in tv niches.

You can buy 4 packs of glasses for like $15 on Amazon.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

BonoMan posted:

Ugh god just fill that with books and mount your TV lower. Every single mcmansion around here has the TV niche at like 7 feet high and *everyone* puts their tv in there.

Not only do they put their TV in there.. but it's only big enough for like a 40" at most. It's training people wrong. :colbert:

If it were only that easy. Unfortunately every house isn't the same. You'd have a blast in the HGTV thread.

Also, I should've bought the 65".

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Don Lapre posted:

You could have installed that way way way lower bro.

The loving thing isn't even on a tilt mount, and its curved. Just burn your house down

Lol, ok. Sounds like a totally reasonable solution.

I can't really go lower because the moron builders put the outlet up too high and it would show above the TV. It's really not that bad and I can say in 5 years I've never had a sore neck. Ideally it would be lower but whatever.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 22, 2017

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Evis posted:

Planet earth 2 I hear, though I don't have a UHD blu ray player so I can't vouch for it.

Planet Earth 2 is by far the nicest looking thing I've watched. The Grand Tour is second.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have you seen anything that big for $200? I've seen a 43 or so for around that amount, and I'm in the market for something cheap for outdoor use. Don't need anything special because I'm sure it won't have a massive lifespan.

You'd be surprised, my 42" Panasonic plasma has survived 3 North Dakota winters.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I want HDR in my bedroom but only have room for a 50" due to the niche it's going in. TCL has one in a 49" and Vizio M Series 50" would work as well. Which way do I go?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

wandler20 posted:

I want HDR in my bedroom but only have room for a 50" due to the niche it's going in. TCL has one in a 49" and Vizio M Series 50" would work as well. Which way do I go?

Turns out the 49" TCL isn't very good so M series it is. 50" 4k HDR for $580 blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Anyone have thoughts on Vizio E series vs the M series? Only reason I ask is I can get the E series locally but not the M series.