Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

hotsauce posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BC4SJEC/

Comes in 55", 60" and 65".

We had our 55" delivered on Friday and couldn't be more pleased. And this is coming from a 50" Kuro, the gold standard of Plasmas.

Yes it's expensive and yes it's worth it. Buy while you can because Panasonic is leaving the Plasma business.

Thanks to this thread for the recommendation. It's a great TV.

Also there is a cheaper model that goes down to 50"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AVRJK3K

But appears to be out of stock for the 50" and 55". People are buying these up quick, so if you want blacker than blacks, no motion blur or other LCD flaws, get one soon.

ST60 has horrible input lag issues if that's something you care about. The S60 doesn't have the issues, and is cheaper by a bit. I have it and I love it. You'll need to make sure it's in a room where you can control the lights because it's pretty reflective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Anyone have issues with CEC on the Vizio M? It'll turn on my receiver just fine, but a few seconds after it powers up it'll switch the receiver input to "TV" and I have to change the input on my TV from HDMI-5 to something else and back to get the receiver to go to the correct input. My Panasonic S60 never had this issue :(

The receiver is a Pioneer VSX823-K

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Sigh, I think I need to get on this 65" C1 train now. Sale at Visions for $2200 (CAD) ends today. Everywhere else is sitting at around $2500 or going out of stock. I was hoping to snag one for closer to $2000, and also not for another month-ish when I move, but I don't think that's feasible now.

Upgrading from a Vizio M60-C3. Hoping it'll be bright enough to not be so annoying to watch when the sun is up (condo has a fuckload of windows. New condo will be even brighter). Currently any night time scene in a show is nearly impossible to see.

Anyone in Canada see lower prices anywhere else? I'm watching Best Buy, Costco, Gibby's, Newegg, Source, Brick, and Newegg right now.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 15, 2022

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

dc3k posted:

Sigh, I think I need to get on this 65" C1 train now. Sale at Visions for $2200 (CAD) ends today. Everywhere else is sitting at around $2500 or going out of stock. I was hoping to snag one for closer to $2000, and also not for another month-ish when I move, but I don't think that's feasible now.

Upgrading from a Vizio M60-C3. Hoping it'll be bright enough to not be so annoying to watch when the sun is up (condo has a fuckload of windows. New condo will be even brighter). Currently any night time scene in a show is nearly impossible to see.

Anyone in Canada see lower prices anywhere else? I'm watching Best Buy, Costco, Gibby's, Newegg, Source, Brick, and Newegg right now.

Dammit, turns out this $2200 was for open box. It's $2500 everywhere.

So now my conundrum becomes C1 vs A80J.

The specs of these two are so similar, but the A80J is truly $2200. I don't care about it not having all 2.1 ports because I use a receiver for everything (which doesn't even support 2.1 anyways lol) so I'll only ever use one of them.

How easy is it to use a TV that has Google TV on it without actually using any of the smart features or connecting it to the internet?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

morestuff posted:

The A80J has an option during set-up to use it as a basic tv with no smart features

Hell yeah. I wish that had shown up when Googling for "A80J disable Google TV" and other various phrases :sigh:

Thanks for the head's up. I think A80J is the one for me then

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Doesn’t the C1 also have all 2.1 ports anyway?

Edit: I checked, it does.

It does, I was talking about the A80J having 2.1 on 2 of the 4 ports.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
is there some magic button to make a/v sync on an a80j work?

watching netflix + plex stuff (direct play always, never transcoding) on an apple tv 4k running through a marantz nr1608. tv is in "custom 1" picture mode.

i've tried the few sync options in the tv's menu, "auto lip sync" on the receiver, manual audio offset on the receiver, and some combinations of them all. i cant seem to find a setting that works, it always feels just slightly out of sync. i might just end up using the game picture mode for everything.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

mancalamania posted:

Not sure if it's the same problem, but I've had similar trouble on my X85K and a Samsung soundbar.

Here are my lab notes, maybe something here will ring a bell and let us zoom in on the common issue:

-Originally had the soundbar hooked up through ARC and almost everything worked fine with AV Sync on Auto. The one exception was my 4K Apple TV where the audio was ~150 ms before the video.

-I then switched the soundbar to optical which fixed the Apple TV sync but ruined the sync on my cable box. Now the cable audio was significantly behind the video (I haven't timed it, but probably also ~150 ms).

-Switching the AV Sync to "On" instead of "Auto" (with the soundbar still through optical) fixed the cable box BUT of course ruins any video game (Switch, PS5). It also seems to slightly throw off the Apple TV but that part might be in my head.

-I've settled on just switching the AV Sync between Auto and On depending on what I'm watching, which is annoying but I guess the best solution (as far as I know, the AV Sync is a universal setting and can't be set per input). One other annoyance is pressing the settings button on my remote seems to pull up one of two different menus at random, and I only know how to get into the Sound settings from one of those menus, so I basically have to fuss with the remote for 1-2 minutes every time I change inputs. A big pain!

I've considered replacing the Samsung soundbar with a Sony soundbar in hopes that it'd be more compatible but it's a little frustrating to drop all that money on something so stupid.

ugh, this all sounds like a royal pain in the rear end. i'm up to ~230ms manual delay on my receiver (auto lip sync always stays at 0ms) and something still seems slightly off. i'm probably going to give up and just use game mode permanently.

for me everything i watch is running through the apple tv by way of the receiver. my switch runs through the receiver as well, but the tv detects it and sets it to game mode automatically so ive had no issues there. no combination of auto lip sync (receiver) and a/v sync (tv) seems to do anything at all. the only thing that makes a difference is the manual delay i've mentioned above.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 30, 2022

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
my biggest issue with my a80j is that dolby vision disables game mode, so i either have to not use dv (which is what ive done) or switch it off manually every time i want to play a game (gently caress that)
it also has trouble talking to my receiver (marantz 1608) and auto lip sync doesnt work at all, it stays at 0ms forever. i have it manually adjusted to like 290ms or something and somehow it still feels slightly off depending on what i'm watching.

less of an issue is that when using the earc port i would get random audio cutouts that last anywhere from 100ms or so to like 2 seconds, and display corruption that is most often just a flash of a garbled image for a few frames. took me a while to figure that one out. luckily i dont use earc so i just had to swap to hdmi 4 instead of 3.

kinda wish i had just kept my vizio c3 for a few more years.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 20, 2022

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i wanna get one of those but then just saw off the ad screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
yeah same actually sign me up for 10000 of them