Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

My current tv is an older Panasonic plasma, the 42 inch 75pxu from a few years back. I'm in no rush to upgrade, but would buying a larger 50 inch tv make much sense if I mainly use it for watching tv and movies? It's hard for me to justify thinking about buying a new tv if my current one is only 6 years old, but Panasonic getting out of the plasma business is making me consider getting one if there's going to be a fire sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I fell asleep on my couch 3 nights ago with a static image on my 5 year old Panasonic plasma and had no problems with IR. I like it enough that I'm thinking of upgrading it to a newer version while they're still available so I don't have to get an LCD.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hotsauce posted:

That's exactly the one we are now looking at. It seems to be a bit better than it's cheaper sibling. I may be able to hawk my Kuro locally for ~$400 or so, which would cover the premium cost of this one.

Looks like Panasonic is the next to drop out of the Plasma market, so now's the time to buy. Thanks everyone!

Edit: ordered. $1200 after Amazon visa points. Good stuff.

You don't live anywhere near Wisconsin do you?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mister Macys posted:

Late, but interesting. It begs the question of why the three companies mostly sell "720p" models in the sub-50" plasma size for the NA market.

My guess is that it's because the advantage of 1080p over 720p is a bit questionable under that size and the US market seems brutal as far as competition/low margins goes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I think I'm going to hold off on upgrading my Panasonic 42" 720p plasma for a few more years. Is there anything coming down the pipe in the next 3-4 years that'll be better quality wise than the plasma of today?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I saw my co-worker's 65 inch panasonic ZT65 a few days ago. He has it calibrated and in his basement with no light. I've never seen a TV look so good, and my old 42 inch panasonic PX75 has never felt so inadequate. It's really a shame there won't be a better TV on the market for a while. If I borrow a meter is there any way to calibrate my TV beyond brightness/contrast?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

How good is the spyder meter? My physicist friend is replacing his with some $700 meter because he was unhappy with the spyder and is bemoaning the fact that there are no calibrators around with $10k meters. :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yeah, my panasonic 42PX80U from 2008 has had zero problems, burn-in or otherwise. A+, would buy again.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

So with all plasmas being gone, if I'm in no rush I should probably just hold off upgrading my old 42" panasonic plasma for 2-3 years until I can get an OLED or something right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wonder if we could possible get a sharing program set up to use that sort of like we used to do with the hardware required to do custom firmware on PSPs back in the day.

Why would that be helpful? :confused:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

shortspecialbus posted:

Because it's $150 for the device, which you then just ship between goons for cost of shipping plus a bit extra to the guy who bought it. That way you don't have to pay $150 to use it once, you pay shipping + $10 or whatever. Not that I would want to do this, but it is a thing that has happened.

Ah sorry, I read your original post wrong and thought you wanted to transfer firmware settings between TVs. :downs:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I have a 42 inch 720p Panasonic plasma from 2008. Would a 2015 TV under $1000 be a large upgrade in picture quality?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thanks guys, I'll hold on to it until I move and then get an OLED.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 10, 2015

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I'm going to be moving across the country in a few months. I'm not wrong in thinking that my 42" Panasonic Plasma from 2008 (42PX75, I think?) is

1. Almost worthless
2. Outclassed by almost any new TV

Right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FogHelmut posted:

According to TV people, plasma is magical tech with superior picture that we will never get again due to a conspiracy against having nice things.

I haven't seen a plasma since 2008 so I couldn't tell you how it compares side by side.

Bill Barber posted:

Modern OLEDs will blow any plasma out of the water. Plasma people are hosed in the head and belong with the gold plated audio cable people.

I think I'm going to end up going OLED towards the end of the year. Is Sony going to be the only OLED alternative to LG this year? Does that look like it's going to be worth the jump in price?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Should I bother moving my 42 inch Panasonic plasma from 2008 across the country? I'm thinking of getting an OLED around the fall, and I'm not sure if there's anything worth waiting for that might push me to keep the Panasonic a bit longer. I know the Sonys are coming out, as are the panasonics. Maybe those are worth the wait?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 15, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

They're not paying for you to do a relocation? They packed and shipped our two old trash TVs for "free!"

https://www.cnet.com/news/should-i-buy-an-oled-tv-now-or-wait-for-2017-models/

"If you really want a new TV now, get the B6. NOLED regrets.

If you're happy enough with your current TV to wait until the 2017 holiday season to buy a new one, then wait. Judging from its specifications the B7 will have slightly better picture quality, and by Black Friday 2017 I'll be surprised if the 65-inch set isn't $3,000, or even less. It may even dip down to $2,500 or $2,000, depending on how badly LG wants to dominate the high-end TV market. I'd be really surprised if it goes any lower, however."

If I were buying this coming year instead of just having bought last fall, I would probably save for a C7.

Thanks. They're paying for it, but I'm wondering if I can just use it as an excuse to get that OLED. :) I'm in no rush, so I'll probably wait until the holidays.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

A 65" Sony XBR850E from 2013 isn't worth $500 right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

That's what I thought. How much are the 65 inch lgs going for on sale these days? I see the 55s down to 1300 or so.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You've got the money, don't agonize over it. Get the 65 and :getin:

cheapest i see is around $2400 from ebay/FBA - haven't seen better price

Don Lapre posted:

Frys had the new 2017 c model for $2500 or so and no tax earlier this week. might still be live

Thanks guys, I think I'll be looking in a couple months. I'm used to my old 42 inch Panasonic plasma from 2008 so it should be a nice upgrade.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Amazon has the LG OLED 65E6P for $3k for Prime Day. It's been lower than that right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Uuuugh dudes don't do this to me. I was planning on waiting until the fall.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

So is the LG OLED B-series the one to get since the picture's the same as every other model? I'm slowly getting worn down and getting ready to buy.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 5, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dogen posted:

OLEG is just as good as OLED. In fact is three better.

Fixed. Glass houses etc.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dogen posted:

I canít resist a good futurama reference. No offense or snark intended.

Ah no worries. Bros 4 life.

Sounds like c6 or c7 is the way to go. Any reason for a higher model?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 5, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Insane Totoro posted:

Everyone wanting something in the $2k range should call Beach Camera.

As far as I know their C series OLED prices were in that vicinity as of last week.

Just called. Their C-series OLEDs are out of stock for a few weeks.

They did have a pretty decent price on the B7s, which I'm thinking about since I'll be using a surround system. They also have some leftover E6Ps for $3k. Not sure if it's worth the price increase?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Don Lapre posted:

They were doing the e7p 65" as low as $2699 a couple weeks ago.

Gotcha. I think I'm going to hold out for another two or three months until black Friday. I'm hoping to find something in the $2-3k range and will just buy whatever the best deal is at that time.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Iím still on the pot regarding a 65 inch OLED versus riding out more time with my 42 inch Panasonic plasma. Are there any predictions for what the 2018 models might bring?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

sellouts posted:

what do you think is missing

Nothing, I'm just not in a rush to replace a working TV.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Any difference on the B7A/C7 from black friday prices at beach camera/Cleveland?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

havenwaters posted:

C7 can do dolby atmos decoding or whatever for the built in speakers and the design is slightly different/it has black trim? Both can still do Dolby Atmos pass through if you're using a receiver.

Both are supposed to have the same panel/image quality.

What have people been getting quoted for prices over the last week or so? Any change from BF?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rastor posted:

LG says their 2018 OLEDs will support 120Hz refresh and that their image processing is so much better that it's better than Sony

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/8/16860496/lg-4k-oled-ai-super-uhd-tv-specs-google-assistant-alexa-announced-ces-2018

When do these generally come out?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Almost bought an OLED today...instead I poured money in to a retirement account instead.

This old Panasonic plasma needs to die.

:sigh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You been sitting on this purchase for a MINUTE my dude.

Should be in Iowa where the cost of living is low low low.

*sigh* I hear you.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

This means 2018s are coming soon right?

Edit: Also, what universal remotes is everyone using? I'm trying to figure out what to control a TV/receiver/AppleTV.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 3, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I think it's $2300 on ebay right now as well. 2018s must be coming soon.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Don Lapre posted:

A new 65 c7 can be had for $1550 if you catch a beach camera sale and use a Citi card to pricematch joesav

Jesus is this really a thing?

How long is it going to be until the 2018s hit the ~$2500 level? Superbowl? Sometime in the summer?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Is Chase pricematching as well? It's tough to tell from the AVS forum thread.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I'm so tempted to just pick up a C7 for $2k instead of waiting for the C8 to go on sale for a reasonable amount ($2500ish).

Is the C8 going to have better motion processing than the A1E?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Saw the C8P at Best Buy. Looks good, other than the price, although the Sony A1E next to it looked pretty fantastic as well. C7Ps were still $2700.