Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
When are the new Denon receivers supposed to come out? Any chance we see them before the new year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

For what you want maybe look for a used 2016-2017 flagship model? The Yamaha RX-A1050, 2050, 1060, 2060 or Denon X2400, 3400, etc. have component switching. Of course if it dies you'll be in the same boat but it's probably the only way to get what you want well under a grand. Don't buy Onkyos from before 2018.

Last I heard was "fall," and don't be too optimistic about their capabilities. This years' Denon and Marantz will likely only have a single HDMI 2.1 port. Turns out 48 gigabit video processing is tricky.

Oh wow, this is super helpful, thanks. Sounds like I may just be better off picking up a cheap x2600/x3500 and calling it a day.

Finally ordered my subwoofer, an HSU VTF-2 Mk5. Shoutout to the Hsu people: they took a look at my room and said that the VTF-2 should be just fine for my space (versus the VTF-3).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BonoMan posted:

Hey good timing RTINGS has their CX review out.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

Gotta say I'm happy I finally bought my E9 earlier this year.

Is it worth getting in to the calibration game? I'm currently just using the RTings settings.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
On the topic of TV apps: my current receiver does a really lovely job of ARC (it's an old HK). At some point, I'm planning on getting a new 4K compatible receiver which should hopefully be better (right?), a new 4K compatible apple TV, as well as maybe a PS5. Are you guys saying there might be a benefit to the TV apps even after that?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FilthyImp posted:

Basically the TV hits perfect black levels, which means the picture is really loving rich. It doesn't have the brightness of something like the Quantum X, but I havent really found I've needed it. The app selection does leave some to be desired (Roku blows it completely out of the water).

This is mind blowing: sometimes I think my TV has turned off in between scenes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Silly Burrito posted:

Realizing this is highly subjective, for those of you who upgraded from a plasma TV to OLED, how much of a difference did you notice? I realize there are more newer technologies, but my 2008 Samsung plasma is chugging along and I’m really trying to justify replacing it when it’s still working like a champ.

I went from a 2007 Panasonic Plasma to a E9 OLED right before Covid. Holy lol it's not even close.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

American McGay posted:

If RE can pull the trigger then anyone here can. Just do it. You won't regret it.

I'm honored. Thank you.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cozmosis posted:

Usually the warehouse stores have subtle model number differences and they functionally mean nothing, or occasionally add features.

I think it's also to prevent price matching?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

What was your surge protector and how old was it?

Surge protectors degrade over time due to the small spikes they may see that don't trip them. A good surge protector will shutoff at that point, permanently bricking itself so it has to be replaced since it can't protect anymore but many many on the market do not do that.

I've been replacing all my surge protectors with this guy as I redo cables on stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035PQGKU/

It's one one of the best protecting without going insane overkill and will kill itself when it can no longer protect what's plugged into it.

However, nothing is really going to protect you against a direct strike. If the strike was close enough, nothing short of having everything unplugged was likely going to help.

Ordered one, thanks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

I really just need to see if one of my friends would have a use for my KDL-55W900A.

Hey it's me your friend.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Almost Smart posted:

My $200 drat dollar fiber-optic HDMI cable finally arrived, and after connecting it to my PC and television, all I have to say is "yep, that's an HDMI cable."

At least I'm future-proofed for awhile. In the meantime, even though I can technically display 4k 120fps content on my TV now, the sacrifices I'd have to make elsewhere to get it running on a vanilla gtx2080 would probably make it not worthwhile.

$200 for an HDMI cable? Why?

devmd01 posted:

I’m not looking forward to the moment after I get a 4K TV where I realize “drat, I gotta upgrade my receiver to handle 4K.” I’ve already prepped my wife for that conversation, as long as I can find a receiver that fits the requirements.

I'm still using my old 1080p receiver with my E9. Planning on picking up a Denon when one finally goes on sale again. Then I have to upgrade the Apple TV.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EL BROMANCE posted:

Netflix's 4K HDR content looks like rear end, I've seen DVDs look better to be honest. Amazon stuff looks pretty natural and nice at least, and the ATV app seems to be kicking into HDR again which is nice (it stopped doing that a while back).

I have a 1080p Apple TV and a 1080p receiver going to my E9. Presumably my best route to watch 4K is to get a 4K Apple TV/4K receiver, correct? My current receiver unfortunately doesn't support ARC very well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

So, you gain a marginal amount of personal privacy at the expense of putting Apple at a massive competitive advantage in acquiring content.

So why won't anyone else do it?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bull3964 posted:

Why do you think HBO Max and Peacock aren't on Amazon devices?

This is also part of why Time Warner pulled out of Apple TV Channels for HBO Max. They don't want Apple tracking what HBO Max users are watching.

Look, I hate ads and I think advertising is a scourge most of the time that hurts user experience. The tracking that's happening on Roku or Android TV devices are being used to target ad delivery so that someone can feel more justified about the price they are paying to promote a piece of content. Yes someone else is making money on trading on your trends and preferences and it feels sleazy.

Apple is using the data they are collecting from you to lock you further into the Apple ecosystem and to create an uneven playing field when negotiating for content and services. You are free to reach your own conclusions as to which is more harmful to you long term as a consumer, but just realize there's nothing altruistic about Apple's approach to privacy. When you have a vertically integrated highly walled garden, you are the best customer for the data you collect from your users.

No, I hear you, but saying that

bull3964 posted:

So, you gain a marginal amount of personal privacy at the expense of putting Apple at a massive competitive advantage in acquiring content.

seems a bit disingenuous. At the end of the day, me individually using an Apple TV is not "putting Apple at a massive competitive advantage." The reason Roku/Android/etc are priced the way they are is because someone's making money on my data and preferences. Clearly, there are enough people that don't care about the privacy implications that allow multiple companies to exist in the marketplace. No, Apple's not altruistic, but why be angry about a company at least giving a little bit of lip service to privacy concerns?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'll echo how much of a PITA it is to get a TV delivered. I bought a TV from Greentoe earlier this year. Beach Camera has some weird "free" shipping arrangement where they can't (?) schedule a delivery with Fedex, and wouldn't let me pay extra to set a delivery time, so I got the pleasure of Fedex delivering my TV at 1pm every day, then threatening to ship it back. I ended up renting a truck from Home Depot and picking it up from the Fedex depot myself.

:suicide:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is Three Olives the same guy who used to brag on here about his rich lifestyle in the late 2000s? If yes then why is he moaning about the OLED price difference itt

I think so yeah, and I was wondering the same thing.

Lol at these HDMI 2.1 receivers. At least the Denon receivers still aren't really widely available.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Hah, getting our 65" OLED up to the attic was hard enough. I can't imagine how large an 85" TV would be to carry.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So for tax purposes, my old panasonic viera th-42px75u is worth about 10k, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

The problem with sound bars is that the main speaker drivers and cabinet volume are too small and the amps are too weak. This compromises the sound in bass response, tonal balance, and they get harsh or distorted at much lower levels. Speakers that sound objectively good tend to be physically very large, or if they're small require a lot of power. Expensive soundbars can actually sound pretty good, they have a ton of drivers/amps and DSP to try to iron out some of the problems. My personal take is that a 2.0 or 2.1 system of a receiver and "traditional" MDF box speakers is a sweet spot of price, performance and number of large, typically black rectangles you have to deal with for most people but audio is complicated. Speakers interact with your room and even having a glass door or coffee table in the wrong location could make it sound worse than it needs to be. That said even in a non-optimal room a pretty basic setup can sound great with some tweaking.

There is no "just buy this" like with TVs. Actually there kind of is but you really won't like the amounts of money involved, e.g. active speakers with room correction or a small shoebox sized amp with Dirac coupled with some good passive speakers and a compact sub. The Klipsch The Fives are more reasonable but still not cheap at all. Also nothing I'd recommend would be price competitive with a $200 soundbar. Off the top of my head I'd call a "starter system" around $300 minimum for a used/refurb receiver and 2 small bookshelves or some Fluance/Edifier powered speakers with a remote.

For reference I spent around the same amount as I did on my TV on my 2.1 system and I think it sounds great but I get if that's not your jam. I wish there was something like a cheap soundbar [but not sucky] on the market because it would be easy to recommend.

Thanks. I'm similarly overwhelmed by the amount of audio stuff out there. Out of curiosity, is there much of a point going from a 2.1 system I'm happy with to 3.1?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You guys just have to upgrade TVs less often. I went from a 2007-era TV to an E9 and my socks were blown off.

And I'm still too lazy to actually watch real 4k content.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Finally donated my old 42 inch plasma to Goodwill yesterday. The guy told me to just throw it in the giant bin, and didn't seem to care that I brought the remote. Hopefully someone gets to use it.

:smith:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

manwithoutskin posted:

I’m well aware this post is going to make me look like an absolute buffoon but I was watching my LG CX 77 in standard def 1080p for a few weeks until I stumbled into the Apple TV settings and realized that was so. I didn’t have the option to go to 4K HDR until I looked up my receiver and switched the input to a different port. Thread.. don’t be like me. On the plus side it’s like I upgraded my TV twice!!

Is it worth it? I still need to get a new receiver/Apple tv for my OLED.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We were paying an extra $30, then $40, then $50/month extra for the FIOS TV package we weren't watching. It wasn't a ton, but I finally said "gently caress it" and just went straight FIOS internet. Not trying to figure out what they wanted to charge us more for every year was well worth it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone know why VLC on my AppleTV seems to trigger my LG's screen saver every few minutes?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Threw my E9's box out after I unpacked it. Movers are gonna pack it. If it breaks, looks like I'm getting whatever the next LG TV is! :getin:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Butterfly Valley posted:

Not without another 6 years of procrastination over the fact a new model, tech or sale is just around the corner you wouldn't

A good point, however I think if I didn’t have any tv I’d buckle down and get whatever.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just lmfao at getting angry over someone else’s TV purchase.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wait so the Harmony is discontinued now? And presumably the software won't get updated?

Well poo poo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Too Many Birds posted:

yeah logitech says they are still supporting the software for now but no specific timeframe was given.

Is there anything else that's comparable to the Harmony? Presumably not because we only talk about Logitech?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
is there anything I should do in prep to move my LG E9? We have movers that are taking care of it, but do I need to do anything special for the base/etc?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, figured I'll wait until 8k receivers are cheaper and more plentiful. My only 4k120 source is my pc for now, so I've got pc/shield/uhd bluray connected to TV and hdmi arc to 4k receiver.

Just fired it up!

Now fix that baseboard.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Good to hear that everyone is having good experiences with this new Denon. Sounds like that's the way to go unless they upgrade the 2700/3700/etc.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

According to someone on AVS it only exists because Denon signed a deal with Costco years ago that had some huge penalty fees if they didn't ship in time so they had to prioritize this cheap model over the whole rest of their lineup.

GreenNight posted:

That's amazing.

Just lol at this.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Movers brought our E9 out of storage finally and I get to watch OLED again. I also ended up picking up that new denon receiver/apple tv 4K.

1. Holy poo poo I forgot how great OLED is.
2. I don’t need anything really special HDMI cable wise for 4K right?
3. It’s incredible how well CEC works compared to my old receiver. I haven’t bothered hooking up our harmony remote and I’m not sure I’ll bother.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Holy poo poo, just set up our new Apple TV 4k and Denon S760, connecting them up to our 65 inch OLED. Finally got 4k set up for everything and we're watching Our Planet in 4K with Dolby Vision. I'm absolutely losing my poo poo here.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
It's been a while since I calibrated my TV. Now that i have a 4K Apple TV, Denon 760, and LG E9 hooked up and playing together, is there anything I need to do? Our Apple TV is the only thing that we watch.

Edit: a few pages late, but I haven't even bothered hooking up our logitech harmony hub/remote. CEC seems to be working well enough with the Apple TV remote. :shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

It's been a while since I calibrated my TV. Now that i have a 4K Apple TV, Denon 760, and LG E9 hooked up and playing together, is there anything I need to do? Our Apple TV is the only thing that we watch.

Edit: a few pages late, but I haven't even bothered hooking up our logitech harmony hub/remote. CEC seems to be working well enough with the Apple TV remote. :shrug:

I guess my question is: does Dolby Vision just take care of everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is Dolby Vision content specific? ie, if we're just watching content on our new Apple TV 4K, does the content have to have a Dolby Vision flag, or is it all just automatically taken care of for all content?