Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

A Bag of Milk posted:

Sony X900H is pretty ok and has VRR, but I think the X950H might be the better deal even though it lacks VRR. You can't do HDR+VRR on the 900, and there are some other limitations. Both in your price range.

Lol the X900H most definitely does not have VRR yet and may never. 4k120 is still broken too displaying 1080p vertically so poo poo is blurry particularly noticeable with a desktop. I run a 65" X900H from a desktop with a 3080. Sony really overpromised and ubderdelivered here.

I would have gone with X950H instead if I'd known Sony would gently caress up the X900H firmware so bad. Sure it's only 4k60 but better HDR and view angles and colour.

Aware fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
They really felt like saying FPS instead of Hz was going to be better with teh gamers. Sadly they're probably right.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

A Bag of Milk posted:

Ah yes, I want to apologize for getting this wrong. That was me misreading eventual support as current, which I am now rereading as pretty unlikely ever. Or I may have been duped by some misleading marketing because I think I would have remembered if the original plan was "maybe no vrr ever". This is like the refresh rate debacle with "120" plastered all over everything, 60hz or not. But I'm sure the x900h has the "variable refresh rate motion index" set to "on".

All good, it's Sony's fault not yours. It's still a great LCD TV for 4k60 and I wouldn't discourage anyone from grabbing one cheap but I'm disappointed it can't do 4k120 properly let alone VRR as a couch PC gamer and the fact Sony marketed these features hard early on.

You can't notice the 4k120 blur much ingame and it is nice and smooth but you see it immediately when you switch back to desktop. For console gaming it's probably 'fine' but I only have a Switch as far as consoles go.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
The Google TV thingo is my recommendation, pretty much all the apps and just works

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think most people juat use puffin browser or something from the app store.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah I've rented a few movies we couldn't find on our current streaming services from Google Play directly on the Google TV and while it's basic it works very well.

I've cast to it just fine too but it's rare because everything we use has a native app.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Sony?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Cicero posted:

Sony TV's can do this? Directly through the TV?

I think so, it's just Android/Google TV. I push a button on the remote and talk but pretty sure OK Google/Google Assistant can be set up as well.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Maybe your thinking of AMEX generally? I think they include some extra coverage like that.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yes you can notice the glow of the backlighting on an LED during dark scenes in soft light fairly easily imo. I have a C8 OLED and an X90H and the former has way better blacks while the latter is way brighter overall. I like the Sony for our very well lit lounge room and the OLED for the den.

I can't tell you that it's worth the price, but it is noticeable and the OLED is a nicer picture in most scenarios to me overall.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
One mounted vertically for couch coding

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've got the X9000H and a RTX 3080 and 4k120 blur is very noticeable on the desktop. It is less noticeable in game and you do feel the higher framerate but you might as well just run 1080 or 1440p 120hz output instead and at least get extra fps out of it due to the blur/vertical resolution degradation. Haven't tried the VRR update and probably won't for a while, have gone back to gaming on a high refresh rate monitor and just have my switch on the TV now.

Apart from that I really like the panel, android OS works perfect for our needs and I love just wacking in an FTA (Australia) playlist and having that work natively like I have an antenna connected when I don't. Great cord cutting TV.

Aware fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 9, 2021

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
In Australia we have strong consumer protection laws which has seen plenty of Sony's returned for not delivering advertised features, namely VRR and broken 4k120.

At this point I cbf and my lifestyle had changed again away from PC couch gaming and I'll never own a XSX or PS5 so idgaf any more.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I dabbled with it but because it was in thr same room as my PC at the time I didn't get very far. The apps are there of the play store for both steam link and moonlight and I paired both an XSX and 8bitdo controller just fine. Probably going to work best on wired Ethernet but I can't remember if I actually played much using it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I applaud you for the huge amount of effort, I have no solutions though.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't think anyone in the last 5 years regretted picking OLED over anything else nor would you today.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Taima posted:

Are there any HDMI 2.1 optical cables that work? I got a 30 footer from Amazon (one of the only cables that had reviews that it actually functions at the rated bandwidth).

It does work.. for a while... then randomly fails. Does anyone have a lead on something that might work consistently?

It's pretty upsetting really, that's the second 2.1 optical cable I've had to return and they're expensive. I don't understand how a cable can work completely fine for minutes or even hours at a time and then just suddenly fail. It makes no sense to me.

No real idea but did it get hot during use?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It seems like fibre optic is the most suggested solution and also somewhat unreliable going by the last few months of posts. Good luck!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Trying to keep around $1k CAD for a 55" TV since mine just died, and while there are numerous 120hz 4K displays out there, RTings reviews often remark on this:

Is this actually common - 4k/120 not really 4K 120? The TCL 646 doesn't seem to have this problem, but it's sold out of course and no idea when it will be restocked. RTings seems pretty recent on their updates with this but I'm wondering how in the hell they can say "4k/120" when it's interlaced.

Also looking at the Samsung Q70A which looks like it has a 'real' 4K/120 - but goddamn, that single HDMI 2.1 port. 😡

Yes it is. The X90H series from Sony has the same issue despite being advertised as PS5 ready. It's a chipset limitation as best anyone knows. X90J has full 4k120 support.

It's not that noticeable in games so if you're a console gamer you may not mind, but it's very noticeable from a PC source doing anything else.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Nothing is going to be perfect forever but you can't really do better for the money right now so if you need to buy, buy. I don't think anyone would not recommend the C1 if it's in your budget.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Number_6 posted:

I'm still pretty angry that most (basically all) current TVs don't have analog stereo RCA outputs.

Fwiw I picked up a powered optical to RCA box for like nothing and it does good job.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I guess the remote drops wireless connectivity to save power when the TV is in standby and uses IR to turn the TV back in.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

codo27 posted:

This is true but gently caress all those blind people. 1080p looks like trash. Technology must not be dictated by the layman else it will stagnate as smartphones have because dummies think iphones are as good as it gets

Yeah but this is where DLSS upscaling and the like shine. Rendering 4k with all the bells and whistles on at higher than 100fps consistently is still out of reach for many high end setups let alone babby consoles like the ps5 and xsx and the average 1060/2060/3060 powered gaming rig.

Yes high fps is nicer in many situations notably shooters but to do so at 4k is just unreachable for 99% of gamers without running medium settings instead of high/ultra.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Any tv can be a dumb tv if you just don't connect it to the internet. Hopefully there aren't any out there that REQUIRE a connection yet.

Shhhh don't give them ideas!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Ah yes, TV's often fall over sideways.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think optical is 'line level' output and won't have any volume control from the TV output.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah my c8 is pretty old, has been left on overnight by my housemate a bunch and has thousands of hours of PC and switch gaming on it and it's just fine??

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've got a Sony X90H and find it to be snappy with its AndroidTV implementation. Works great running Moonlight to stream games from my PC with an Xbox controller paired to the TV via Bluetooth. I don't have an antenna connected but use TVIRL to manage IPTV streams and EPG info. Feels just like I'm plugged into an antenna for all my local Australian TV channels. I assume the X90J/X95J/Ax0 OLED series are the same.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Fwiw the Sony interface is almost exactly the same as Chromecast with Google TV. I still have one hooked up to an old LG dumb TV.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Baby Proof posted:

Has anyone come up with a good reuse for TV screen protectors? A big sheet of sticky plastic like that has to be good for something.

A disgustingly large fly trap?

:psyduck:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
The 3080 will do 4k60 high/ultra/RT for most games that aren't poorly optimised made the last few years. VRR (eg Gsync) seems a mixed bag though on non-OLEDs. On the Sony's it disables local dimming for example. DLSS will also help for those games that support it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Weird request - any idea what's the dimmest ~40" android TV I can get for a bedroom? The least brightest thing possible. $500USD budget.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
There's an OLED theme for the app you know. I've never had that happen on 6 years worth of Samsung oleds.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
You're loving nuts not to go oled post c7 era and can afford it imo. Put this in the op.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
You do you, king. Make your own fancy css I'm sure they'll accept it if you put the effort in.

Also enable the blue light filter thing if you're doomscrolling at night. I read exclusively on my oled phone at night with what looks like orange text on black/nothing for years and no burn in/good for sleep.

Aware fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 6, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Gnumonic posted:

I'm probably being a little paranoid but I really don't think it's that excessive. Like, if it's smart to use a webcam cover or a hardware-level microphone LED indicator on your computer then doesn't it also make sense to want the same security for your TV? I imagine that most people are way more likely to be naked/have sex/do drugs/etc on their living room couch than they are in front of their work laptops but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm just ribbing you a little, it's a genuine concern and hard to counter fully.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
On a similar note - what's the best bang for buck 3.0 system for great voice/centre channel? I really want to avoid a subwoofer if I can, just looking to purely improve voice clarity in TV and the occasional movie.

Edit: don't need HDMI 2.1 or anything, 4k60 is fine for me. It's going on an X90H so I guess eARC and Dolby vision support would be nice.

Aware fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 26, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Appreciate the advice but floorstanding speakers are out for the same reason as the sub - no room and also we have a giant lab who will absolutely knock them over even if we did. A soundbar is the only upgrade I can fit but if they're really not worth it I'll just stick with the built in speakers. I'm not looking for loud, just a bump in voice clarity as we use our lounge for watching TV shows 99% of the time and watch a movie maybe once a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Ah didn't realise rtings did soundbar reviews, that's perfect.