Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Spiteski posted:

I've recently had a progressively worsening issue with my Samsung PS51D450 (51" HD ready plasma) where a section of the screen resembling a cloud is discoloured. It only shows certain times, when there is large expanses of a certain colour taking most of the screen, though it is getting more and more frequent and more of the screen is being effected. Shows up as a pinky-purple pixelated mess, yet the picture in this area tends to stay visible, albeit off-color.

Google hasn't really helped bring up much on the subject, nor can I find any pictures of a similar problem with plasma TVs. Anyone have any ideas, or suggestions on what it may be? Also, I apologise if this is the wrong thread for this sort of question.

How old is your plasma? Let me guess... around 2 years so it's out of warranty?

That sounds kind of similar to my Samsung plasma problem, only I have vertical lines that are off-color and not a cloud area like you. You can google "Samsung plasma line problem" to see if it matches your situation. If it is, the general conclusion is it will get worse, and the fix is around $500 - $600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Curious... has anyone bought a TV and later regretted it because it was too big?

I'm trying to decide between a 55-inch and 60-inch for my next TV. I've seen all the charts, and my recommended viewing distance between and couch and TV would be at the very bottom end for a 60-incher. I'm not sure if that means I would be better off with a 55-incher.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

So I recently replaced my old 50-inch Samsung plasma with a new 60-inch Vizio 120hz LED. Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like much of an upgrade.

I never even heard of "judder" when I had my plasma, but now it seems like I'm constantly viewing it with my new Vizio. It's really the worst when scenes pan to the side, if I'm playing a FPS and am looking side to side, or anything moving horizontally.

The built in Netflix app is horrible for it, but I also notice it some with my cable box. Some video games have it, although blu-rays are generally okay. I've tried all the "smooth motion" type of settings on the TV and none of them get rid of it.

Anyone else experience this problem? Is it just an issue with LEDs in general? I'm considering returning it and getting another new plasma. Would that solve my problem?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

So this 60" Vizio is going on sale at Sam's tonight for $678. I think I'm going to do it if no one has any horror stories. It looked pretty great in the store.

I bought this exact same TV a couple weeks ago. I'm actually thinking about returning it. The picture itself is fine, but I have serious issues with judder on it. It's been bothering me on almost anything I watch and starts to make me feel sick. I've messed around with the setting extensively and haven't been able to resolve it.

I'm going from a 50-inch plasma to this 60-inch LED. I don't know if I as just spoiled by the plasma's handling of motion and the judder is more noticeable because it's a bigger screen and LED technology, or if it's just a problem with this model.

To be fair, I did extensive research on the Vizio E601i-A3 before buying it and didn't find any other complaints about judder as serious as mine. Also, my wife can't even notice it. (She's one of the people who will be watching a SD channel and think it's HD though.)

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

kloa posted:

I'm looking to buy the same set. I think the CX is the only one with G-Sync on an OLED, so it kinda narrows my choices down to it - seems good all around. Mostly TV/movies but moderate PC gaming from the couch too.

Why are people going with the CX over the BX?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Sony A8H is now ~$1750 everywhere. Think I'm pulling the trigger today.

I'm thinking about doing this too. Are there any major downsides to doing this instead of getting an LG OLED?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

The Grey posted:

I'm thinking about doing this too. Are there any major downsides to doing this instead of getting an LG OLED?

Just watched a review on this... Doesn't support HDMI 2.1 and it's not good for next gen gaming? They said it was mainly for people who want to watch movies/tv.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

5436 posted:

Basically 2.1 for 120fps is the main diff.

Will I be able to tell much of a difference between 60fps in 4k and 120fps in 4k?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

5436 posted:

It matters in games, for sure, especially shooters. There are some psuedo-science studies showing you aim better and every pro gamer uses 144-240hz monitors.

The Sony OLED will play content at 120hz if you use the built in apps, it will only do 60hz over HDMI. I cannot speak to wether you will notice it on a TV show or movie. Maybe someone else can! I doubt most stuff streams at 120hz aka 120fps. I believe most things are 4k60fps if they are maxing out.

Will watching movies/TV at high refresh rates like that cause the soap opera effect? or am I thinking of something else?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Here's the coupon book

I think I'll jump on this, but wait closer to the 11/22 date in case a better deal comes along.

I don't really need a new TV for a while since I mostly want to use it with an Xbox Series X, and I missed out on the pre-orders for those.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Got my Sony A8H today and I am shook. I didn't think there would be that big a difference from a B6 or C7 but OLED has actually come quite far in the past few years. Excellent uniformity, vastly improved motion handling, superior brightness, the works. No real banding I can see, even on a gray test. I am very, very happy.

What are you guys doing with your old TVs?

I'm going to get an OLED to replace my LED, but I only have one place in my house for TVs this big. How's the used 1080 LED market on Craig's List?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

People probably know this, but Costco has the 65" for $1,849 now. It comes with a $100 Hulu credit too.

Were people complaining before about Costco's delivery? Would it be better if I went and got it in person?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

Originally had our TV budget set around $1000 but probably gonna spring for this instead. Is this a pretty good price for it or should I hold out for BF etc sales? Staying inside for the next year of the future convinced me (maybe not my wife much) to spend a little more and then not worry about a new TV for the next many years. Mostly using it for TV/Movies and some light ps4/switch gaming. Was also looking at the Samsung Q80Ts but these seem like a much better TV for the price. Not in a huge hurry to purchase either, but wouldn't mind doing it sooner than later.

Costco's deal goes through 11/22. Now quite Black Friday, but you could hold out for a few more weeks to see if a better deal comes along before ordering it.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Was thinking about getting this 65” Samsung -

SAMSUNG 65-inch Class QLED Q80T Series - 4K UHD Direct Full Array 12X Quantum HDR 12X Smart TV with Alexa Built-in (QN65Q80TAFXZA, 2020 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0845ZSMWS/

I saw it at Costco for about $1,700 and Amazon is about $200 less. Anything I should be concerned about here, or be going in another direction? I’d like to get something before my PS5 gets here.

This is the TV everyone recommends here and is generally considered one of the best around:

LG 65" Class - CX Series - 4K UHD OLED TV

Costco has it for only $150 more then that QLED.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Hi everyone,

55" for 899.00

65" for 1,499.00

4 HDMI inputs... I can't tell if they are all 2.1 though.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

So it looks like the panels (not electronics, this is a deeper problem than a new circuit board or a firmware patch) have a gamma problem when switching resolutions under 40hz and above 120hz.

The oleds basically get overcharged and don't carry correct picture info.

So yeah, we're about to get a lot of in-world examination of what the cutting edge offers when you have basically nothing to test it with.

Sucks that it's not as futureproof as I imagined.

E:: there's a few videos about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfl3UdWZIUQ

Is this an issue with both the C9 and the CX?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

It seems unwise to purchase consumer electronics two weeks before Black Friday unless they're brand new or in very limited stock.

Costco will refund you the difference if they drop their price within 30 days after purchase, so you may be okay getting a tv from there now.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I guess I shouldn't have waited to jump on CX deal from Costco. The 65" is out of stock now. :(

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

Call your local store to check if you haven't, thats what I did and they had a bunch, so I snagged one.

Speaking of the CX, I bought and set up the 65" on Satuday night and honestly I don't really feel blown away so far? I have it hooked up to a PS4, the switch, and netflix, prime, hulu, disney+ etc. Endgame did look pretty incredible, and I upgraded our netflix account to support 4k. Coming from a 48" TCL that was mostly fine for us, I don't really feel like the $2k has been worth it so far. Feels like I'm messing with settings more often than watching the content itself. What am I missing?

Netflix requires the 4k account upgrade. Do Prime, Hulu, and Disney+ come with 4k at no extra cost?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

morestuff posted:

Yeah, they're basically just calling 2021 another covid wash and trying to save HBO Max. They're only up on streaming for a month so they still get international money and cash from what's left of the home video market and rentals

Where do you see that they will only be streaming for a month?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Comedy option: YouTubeTV. You get local channels and unlimited DVR.

I was actually thinking of canceling my Xfinity cable service with the X1 box and doing this instead. Why is it a comedy option?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Rusty posted:

I pay $160 a month for cable, but I also get 1GB Internet with the package which is most of the cost and work covers $100 of that. So for $60 a month I get 2 DVRs, most movie channels, and HBO Max is included as is the peakcock channel. I don't watch much TV though but it's cheaper than having a bunch of streaming services and I mainly use it for baseball anyway.

Yeah... I figure I can save about $15 a month by switching from cable TV to YouTubeTV. But then I lose my local Fox Sports and all my TV watching will count against my datacap.

Does any streaming service do live TV in 4K?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

LG press release is out:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1610371802

-revamped menu system
-C1 an incremental upgrade, G1 a new, brighter panel
-references to an A1 model, speculated to be an even cheaper entry point than the BX was
-no price or launch date yet

Do older models get the revamped menu too?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Just ran by Target... they had an LG OLED BX on display with probably the worst burn in I've ever seen on a device. They weren't displaying a static picture either, it was some standard LG demo loop. This is giving me serious second thoughts about getting one. I assume the CX and BX are both similar from a burn in perspective?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Compensation cycle is not for burn in, it's for Image Retention.

The backplane of the display can hold a residual charge from a static image. The compensation cycle is meant to level out the residual voltage across the backplane so you have consistency in how each pixel performs.

Now, I guess you could argue that if IR isn't erased, then IR that isn't cleared could eventually cause the pixels to wear differently and cause burn in. However, pulling power isn't going to do that necessarily. In fact, removing power for a prolonged period of time can be pretty effective in removing IR due to the fact that all residual charge in the set ends up draining out.

I'm not 100% sure what the mechanism is behind the prolonged compensation cycle that you can run from the menu (or runs automatically after like 4000 hours), but I suspect it's just a more rigorous and cycles the backplane between min and max values to level set everything.

Burn in is simply wear and it's cumulative. Nothing more, nothing less. Higher the OLED Light, more accelerated the wear. Red wears the worse so red and yellow are bad.

Showing a loop over and over can absolutely cause burn in on an oled on a long enough timeframe depending on what it's comprised of. Considering that Target's main color is red, I'm guessing a 5 second graphic looped once every few minutes for a year might have been enough to do it in.

You know a lot about TVs. Great explanation. I don't feel so nervous about getting one now.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Best Buy warranty is pretty good for they also cover burn in.

What about Costco? They have a deal with the CX right now where you can get a three year extended warranty from State Farm for free.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

I'd wait for the C1. New UI, next-gen image processor, auto scene detection, etc. The CX was kind of meh.

Waiting for a C1 doesn't seem worth it, unless it comes out at a significant price discount, which seems unlikely. Most people will probably turn off things like auto scene detection.

Funny that you call the CX "meh" when it's generally considered the best TV available.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

VectorSigma posted:

Son of a bitch, I finally did it. Pulled the trigger on a CX. It will be here Thursday. I'm excited to have the same kind of screen as my phone or tablet but it's a few feet across.

I just got mine yesterday. The picture quality is great, but the configuration options are more complex and confusing then I was expecting. I think it's going to take a while to figure out the optimal settings.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

I used these two resources to set up my CX when I got it:

https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/ixhy39/lg_cx_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

Where the settings diverged, I went with the blurbusters recommendations as they really seem to know their stuff when it comes to Gsync.

Thank you for this. I was trying to watching Mandelorian over the built in Disney+ app yesterday. It was horribly dark until I switched the picture mode from "Cinema" to "Cinema Home".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Just saw this and though of this thread

LOL... old people