Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Regarding 3d glasses, just get the ones made by my TV's brand? In this case Panasonic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

3D being taken out sounds like it'll be a good idea. I can't even see 3D for some reason.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Come on sub $2000 CAD 80" OLED's! :kiddo:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is TCL Hisense in Canada? I looked on Costco and it just brought up this one:

https://www.costco.ca/Hisense-65R6107-65-in.-4K-Roku-Smart-LED-TV.product.100367139.html

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just got a new LG 65UM7300 and the HDMI arc sound isn’t working. Came from an old Panasonic Plasma and it eventually started working there.

It’s a Vizio 5.1 soundbar.

Hoping this software update helps. :/

E: taking the HDMI in and out worked....

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 21, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is there any recommended item for splitting HDMI? I have a PS4, cable box, Switch and soon Apple TV with only 3 ports.... 1 of which is my ARC port. Or just deal with taking out the HDMI switch when I want to play a game?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have a Vizio soundbar from Costco at the moment. :lol:

Thanks for the Caavo rec.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I need a new TV stand. I am just using the IKEA Lack TV bench and it feels like the TV is small...? I dunno. I go to my buddies who has it on a much higher piece of furniture and it seems massive. Both 65".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm the cracked panel from the bump in the road.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

When I had some friends over I setup my old plasma in the bedroom so my wife could just chill to watch Netflix and play some Mario Kart since she was tired and a) didnt wanna watch the game b) didnt want to go to her sisters.

It was so flipping hot in there cause this is a big rear end 60" Panasonic GT30 plasma... I miss the thing but gently caress could it give off heat.

I am prob just gonna give it away to my brother for his rooming house he watches.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Picked up some Luminoodle 6500K lights from Amazon.. and I think they have done the trick of making my tv look a bit nicer since I do not have OLED yet.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is Amazon Prime including 4K for free? My wife was watching Fleabag last night and it looked absolutely brilliant. I think it was HDR too?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Unsure if HDMI ARC to a soundbar or WiFi Plex is to blame for audio-sync issues when using it. Netflix, TV and Prime are fine.

Time to test with ethernet!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man, I hosed up. I installed a recessed plug to go behind my wall mount tv but the plug for the cable box is a goddamn fat wallwart. I wanted to originally mount it behind the tv to hide cables but not now. I will probably have to get a little conduit now to hide the wires which isn't the ugliest thing but defeats a clean setup.

Builder was supposed to build a inwall conduit but said it since this was an outside wall it wouldn't work. :/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sirotan posted:

^^^thats what I get for waiting so long to refresh :argh:

Could you use something like this to offset it enough to tuck it behind the TV or into the mount? https://www.target.com/p/philips-3-outlet-surge-protector-with-1-ft-extension-cord-gray-and-white/-/A-77596037

That might work! I’m in Canada so I’ll see if Home Depot or even Amazon has a little extension. I can use a 3M to stick it to stuff.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

codo27 posted:

Worst thing about MP is shipping and exchange rate with Canada. Lot of what I got now though came from there like 6 years ago

If you're still here I found the holy grail: PrimeCables.ca - loving amazing stuff and ships fast, GREAT pricing - i've ordered cat6 cables, audio cables, tons of accessories - all amazing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Get the addon Keepa for Firefox or Chrome, it injects a cool little graph for Amazon showing you the price history just below the buy it now button.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/keepa-amazon-price-tracke/neebplgakaahbhdphmkckjjcegoiijjo?hl=en

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/addon/keepa/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man, The Brick here in :canada: has a 4 year, 0% interest thing and my ears(e: eyes? I dunno - MY BODY) are like... time to get the 77" OLED? I have a 65" 4k tv now but its a bit small for our living room. It's $4600 plus taxes but thats just like $100/mo. minimum if I round up to $5000.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

qirex posted:

Hot take: pay cash for consumer electronics.

Hot take: check your privilege :cheeky:

0% interest is perfectly fine to take advantage of.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My parents LG has a blue tint to the majority of the screen and they are gonna try to warranty it as it's only been a couple years. Wondering if that's even possible. I did clue them onto the LG C1's though and initially they didn't care - they are old and think anything is fine. They even use the loving Vivid setting even though I told them it's bad. But they are warming up to the OLED. I got them to watch some videos, they gasped with how thin it is. But i've convinced them it'll be the best picture quality they can get.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I am finally ready to pull the trigger but the C2 prices are pretty drat high. :lol: They have the 77" C1 here in :canada: for $3800 or so which is fine but the C2 is double. I'll just have to save more for the C2 I guess.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok I loving lied. I double checked cause I wanted to show the prices. The 83” is double. Sorry for misinformation. :( it’s only $700 more.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

QD-OLED sounds really cool - but Samsung currently only goes up to 65". Hopefully they go bigger next year.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hmm, have the LG UST projectors not been updated in a few years? Is there new tech coming?

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 31, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

These are some of the best examples of CRT vs HD:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Have OLED companies fixed the autodimming stuff yet or do you need to go into service menus as per this video still?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qXj-vpX5Q

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It happens during dark scenes of shows. Recently House of Dragons on HBO has triggered it with it's nighttime scenes and making things unwatchable. Part of it is the people making it master it on $30,000+ monitors and not accounting for consumer grade stuff but the other side of the coin is OLED's dimdown cause of burn in potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83SXcguwBU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Palladium posted:

so i bought a LG OLED C2 55" but i dont have money for blinds/drapes

Go to walmart and get some cheap curtains there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How do you choose between C2 and G2?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I legit love the LG OS esp with the motion control remote. It's fast and just works. I use Plex, Disney+, Netflix, and Prime on my tv.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

phosdex posted:

I hate that motion thing on the remote.

It's so much faster for selecting things IMO.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Butterfly Valley posted:

Having just got an LG OLED I'm a big fan of the voice search function because I watch a lot of YouTube and now I don't have to navigate via the buttons anymore

I’ve had some funny YouTube searches if I’m not precise in my speech. Could be the older tv but unsure. It’s cool tho.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That happened with me and ARC a few years ago on a soundbar. The audio was constantly off and I couldn't take it. Thankfully the TV speakers are fine on my current LG but I am getting an OLED later this year and I am worried the built in speakers will suck. I do eventually want to get some towers for the floor and a receiver but the TV budget comes first.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Palladium posted:

I found the LG C2 internal speakers to be pretty good at broadcast TV content versus my bookshelf speakers

It's weird how good the LG speakers are. I have an older LG LED tv from 2020 and they have been great even at high volumes. Deeeeep bass makes em get weird but otherwise I have had no complaints.

The other day I was helping someone at work set up a new Apple Homepod and.... holy poo poo that sounded so good out the box. And you can pair them up??

Anyone here have that set up?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s a known issue but also an issue with shows mastering their programs on insanely expensive screens vs consumer stuff.

Potential fixes here that also void your warranty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qXj-vpX5Q

Haven’t watched this yet tho - maybe a new fix?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1k-K4jFcY

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gonna have to disagree.

If the wifi chip is poo poo and dropping that’s annoying. Most people aren’t running Ethernet. And saying you have to buy a dongle to get the same stuff built into your tv is gonna rub people the wrong way.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MikusR posted:

Most(all?) of the expensive tv's have cheap 100Mbps ports.

Ok?

I was saying it’s dumb to have a poo poo wifi chip.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PrimeDay tvs on sale - was looking at some cheap poo poo for the bedroom. Are these FireTVs worth a drat? $289 CAD for 40" LED or $469 for 43" 4k QLED.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mister Facetious posted:

The omni line are rebranded tcl qleds, and are what I'd recommend if you don't want the roku/Android operating system

Thanks for this! My wife and I measured and unfortunatley the 43" would be a bit to big for the small opening we have. :( About 4" on the left would have been behind the door and risk of getting smashed - probably would have as we are mounting it so that adds extra space. It was either that or having the tv hang a bit across the bathroom door which looks tacky IMO.
It would have looked like this:

Brown is the door, blue is the tv. The entrance in the middle is to the washroom. The little squares are power and ethernet.

Settled for a cheapo 32" Fire TV series 2 - 720p, just nothing special but it was $189 CAD and it'll be fine for bedroom viewing.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09N6XYRK7/ref=twister_B0BYKSRZ2D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Drilled some holes in my wall for a TV mount for the first time in my life. I was so nervous. :lol: The tiny Fire TV 2 seems okay - never powered it on myself but reviews say it's better than it has any right to be. Also bought a soundbar to put underneath it via mounting too which I never knew was a thing but makes total sense and is really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT_nJPUTBRU

Wall mount: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SHFPD8S
Speaker mount: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01DW1XOCY
lovely soundbar: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08L42XT6Z

Finishing up tonight as I didn't have a socket wrench to put the unit on the wall.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 18, 2023