Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for a new thread. Can you change the name though? Maybe put the quip after the title. It's not as easy to grab this at a glance compared to HDTV Megathread.

My 2 cents on plasma models, we own both a mid range LG and Panasonic. The LG was a great price and has some neat smart features (plays back MKV files, etc) but in actual PQ it doesn't hold a candle to the Panasonic. On the other hand the Panasonic has needed service twice in two years which is a bummer. At least they are good about warranty service though, both times it was in-home service and fixed in under a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Number_6 posted:

No, I don't have an A/V receiver. In my twisted mind, the TV should be an A/V receiver by definition. I do send the audio (analog) from my TV to a stereo system from 1983, but I don't think that's what you meant.

The thin/thickness of the panel is a good point, my set looks about 3.5" deep, which is probably not acceptable in today's market.

They just keep reducing the number of inputs on televisions to bring the costs down, you're eventually just going to have to bite the bullet and get a receiver. I was a hold out until like 2 years ago like you but I finally gave up. It simplifies everything to be honest, I wish I had done it long ago.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

IR is weird on the ST50.

I never really had much of it at all for the longest time. However, I noticed in the past week that the Comedy Central logo and adult swim logo were visible under some circumstances. The [adult swim] logo is opaque so that's somewhat understandable, but the Comedy Central one is translucent (though with a fairly high percentage of opacity.)

So, watching an hour of the The Daily Show and Colbert, over time, was enough to cause it to show up. I suspect too that if I was watching the show with commercials it would have been less of an issue since the logo would have been washed away every 10 minutes by 3 minutes of commericals.

Adult swim was kind of my own fault since in the past few weeks I've been busy in the evening and basically left it on from 9pm to 2am as background noise. But the CC logo did concern me a bit.

A week later and they have faded quite a bit and will probably be gone soon. I did just pickup the Disney WoW disc yesterday and have plans to use the "pixel flipper" function to accelerate the erasure.

In the future, I may just flip flop between Mode 1 and Mode 2 (overscan and not overscan) in the aspect settings to move the logos around if I'm going to be watching for any prolonged period. What's weird is I have about 1800 hours on the TV now and most reports said that IR basically becomes a non-issue after 400 hours.

I'm mildly annoyed, but not enough to overcome the picture quality of this TV which is still jaw dropping for the price.

I have an ST30 but the few times I've noticed any image retention (our 4 year old loves to watch cartoons and never turn the TV off) I just use the built in screen wipe tool for a few hours and it seems go away. Not sure if the ST50 has something similar, I would assume it does somewhere.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fremry posted:

My Panasonic ST30 (bought 2 years ago) just started to make a loud buzzing sound that fluctuates in intensity based on brightness of the picture. I'm out of warranty, and it hasn't done this until yesterday.

First, any idea what's wrong?

Second, how screwed am I?

Third, any idea how much it will cost to get fixed?

As the other poster mentioned, I had the same problem and it was a few loose screws. It would go away temporarily and reappear later. I just removed the back and tightened everything. Panasonic can refer you to a local repair shop if you're out of warranty and not comfortable doing it yourself, they would probably charge $50. There is always some natural plasma buzzing on bright scenes but it shouldn't be audible above TV volume.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

They've been talking about it for quite some time unfortunately, OLED manufacturing will advance pretty quickly over the next 5 years. LCD will stick around for budget purposes but the few (often niche) advantages of plasma are totally surpassed by OLED and as a technology it has no room left to grow. Plasmas are often moved at clearance prices due to inexperienced sales staff and consumers desiring more energy efficient, thinner televisions. They're also a pain for retailers to display and stock compared to equivalents.

It sucks because we love our Panasonic plasmas, I just hope they don't die before affordable, similar sized OLED TVs comes to fruition.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 10, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Looks like it's official now, Panasonic Plasma production ending in December :(

My 2010 TV isn't old enough to consider upgrading, I hope it holds out until OLED is affordable.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Don Tacorleone posted:

Plasma never really shook the bad reputation it had from the early 00's (and at the time it was well deserved), but I don't think the consumers who buy the cheapest thinnest TV would care that Plasma was now (arguably) better. It's just a reality of the market, if they don't sell, they're going out, and I'd be more concerned about support after they're discontinued, and in that case I'd rather buy a new, supported model.

If you research your TVs you can probably find a decent LED equivalent anyway, it's not 2005, LEDs are great now.

If you're worried about support they will be honoring warranties for years to come and sell extended warranties. There's also local repair options that are pretty cheap if you're out of warranty. If someone is buying a TV before Panasonic plasmas end production then there is really no harm in considering it. The thing isn't going to break on you in a year and leave you without any options. Most TVs only have 1-2 firmware updates that you will get in the first year as well.

If my TV was a little older I would just pick one up but I can't justify it to the GF right now :(

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 31, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

El_Matarife posted:

I'm sure Panasonic will just replace dead plasma TVs with a similarly priced LCD.

It's too bad really, this really is a huge setback for picture quality and the issues with plasma are all long fixed. I convinced my parents to replace their dying living room TV with Panasonic plasma and they liked the quality so much they ended up buying a second to replace their semi-busted bedroom TV a month later.

55-60" OLEDs are maybe 3-4 years from being in a practical price bracket. And I'm convinced the wear and tear issues and failure rate on the first few generations of OLED is going to be as bad as early plasma, maybe worse. I do wonder if 4K is the defining factor here, apparently a 4K plasma would be a total power hog.

The TV market in general took a big hit too. The HDTV rush is over and most people aren't replacing them any time soon unless Apple decides to make one. Panasonic's LCD division was down 30% last year and the plasma division has lost billions in the past few years alone. They've got LG and Samsung making GBS threads out cheap but serviceable plasmas and LCD still dominates the mid-range due to the wide pricing grid across products and its marketability. It was pretty much a lose-lose for Panasonic.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

Went to look at the Vizio P series since my local Best Buys are starting to carry them and man the viewing angle sucks on the VA panels. They only had the 50" model in stock though, so I couldn't compare it with the 55" IPS based model or any of the bigger models.

It's been a while since I bought a new TV, are people really ok in general with have super lovely viewing angles on large/expensive TVs?

Most people don't notice or care sadly. My girlfriend still claims she can't hear the difference between TV speakers and my $1500 setup. My parents crane their necks at an insane wall mount. People are weirdly tolerant or just overly cheap with AV stuff, I can't decide which. Spending $5-10 every day on overpriced coffee? No problem. Spending $1500 on something you upgrade every 5-10 years? Whaaaat?!

Anyways I recommend getting the IPS model if you can wait, I've never been disappointed with an IPS set.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nifty posted:

I am looking at these specs:
48" - 55"
not Smart TV
1080p
60 or 120 refresh rate

Any specific recommendations? It seems to be hard to even find something with these specs. This TV is cheap, tell me why it is exactly that I dont want that. All the Vizio/Toshiba/etc TV's in this size are Smart TV's and $150 more

Spend more money, get something that will last with decent performance. If you would raise your budget a bit I'm sure people will be happy to make recommendations but no one is going to screw around on your behalf over a $300-450 price range where you could literally throw a dart.

It's not about being snobby either, its just that it literally doesn't matter at that price range.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

scrubs season six posted:

I had an 880 and hated it and thought it was a pile of poo poo. hth

The Smart Hubs are pretty good, the remotes only real downside is a lack of backlighting and you can use your phone instead if you want even.

The older Harmony remotes were a pisser, particularly the low end models. The button maps had all sorts of problems and they used these weird contact pads that would wear out to force people to upgrade every X years. I hated those loving things.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
My prized Panasonic Plasma is finally starting to show its age and I've had to repair it a few times. I'm getting tired of taking it apart and waiting for parts from ebay. I can probably keep it hobbling along another year, should I be waiting or are there some good 4k, HDR sets now? I can spend about 2k Canadian on something or save up for awhile. A friend of mine said HDR/4K stuff is just a mess and to wait but I don't know how knowledgeable he is about this stuff.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

wandler20 posted:

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. 15 minutes of googling and you should be able to answer almost any question you might have. Many of us have purchased LG OLED TVs and have all been blown away.

I've already tried googling this and came up with far too many options, I also don't know TV stuff that well to start with. To anyone else, any particular models that are a good value at or around my budget? I'm looking for a 50-55" set, 4k/HDR etc. I do a fair amount of gaming as well if that matters.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

You listed an option of saving up. Save up and get the OLED.

One of the LGs then? I assume I'm shooting for something like this? I don't know anything about TVs so I was looking for recommendations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

In exploring the full range of autism, I've come full circle and back to the KS8000. I sit about 12' away from the TV, so 65" would be better. Problem is that it would look terrible with the rest of the room, while the 55" would fit pretty well with the overall design.

I consider getting the 55" now and upgrading later, but do you really see OLED prices coming down that much in the next couple of years when LG is really the only player in that area?

The $500 difference also seems to make the 55" a better value, but then there's the maxim of always buy bigger than you think.

Sony is shipping an OLED this year and Toshiba just announced some high end sets as well. Still going to take a long time for prices to come down though.

I decided to sit things out a bit, the LG sets have great marks on PQ but I hear complaints about motion control which is sort of important to me. I think I'll save up for that Sony OLED.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Uh... What? I'm guessing you don't actually own or have see a decent plasma.

I still have my 2008 Samsung 50" and the picture quality bests any LCD I've ever seen. They're fantastic TV's and that is not some "audiophile" level critique... It's pretty standard thought.

Now yes OLED is better. I wouldn't say it blows a good 1080 plasma set out of the water but it's definitely a step up. That's why plasma lovers like them and consider OLED the spiritual successor to plasma.

My old Panasonic plasma is still limping along after a few repairs. No audiophile crap here either, it's just very well rounded with most content we want to view and handles sports/games exceptionally. So far the only real upgrade I've seen worth the money is the B6 line. My parents have the top end Samsung and I don't really care for it outside of the increased brightness.

I really like the B6 but I also want to see the Sony OLED before I buy anything.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kaboobi posted:

I believe LG is the only one making the OLED panels, so it'll look the same with a different UI/branding.

Yeah but it'll have Sony's picture processing which is industry leading. I don't mind paying a premium for something I buy infrequently, depends on how much of course.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I read the OP, but things are still too complex for me, probably because I don't actually want a TV, I just want a display. I want a 65"-ish display with good picture quality, refresh rate, 4k, lots of HDMI inputs. I do NOT want any smart features except for maybe chromecast compatibility, but honestly I'd rather plug in a replaceable dongle than have it built in. I don't want or need a tuner. Classic style remote would be good, but all it needs to do is select the HDMI input, volume up/down, and power. Camera or microphone are dealbreakers.

What should I get?

You aren't forced to use any of these features and they are pretty much standard on all TVs now unless you're buying a $100 32" no-name thing. Just ignore them and get whatever TV you want. The camera and microphone thing are usually optional and I don't see them on many sets (yet). You can find TVs with a fair number of inputs but personally I just use a receiver and my own speakers.

Also when you ask for a recommendation always post a budget or price range.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
East Hamilton Radio has the 65" B7P for $4224 + HST but yeah they are still pricey as hell. I am waffling back and forth between the 55" and the 65". I need to remeasure viewing distance, I suspect I would be happy with the 55" no matter what though. Worst case scenario it moves from the mancave to the upstairs living room.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm on the fence about the OLED65B7P vs a Vizio or something. A long time ago I was dirt poor so I kind of struggle with luxury purchases like this. I always save up for things now and it took a year of saving to get the funds (kids are expensive). I guess my question to anyone owns one, is this worth it? I have an old Panasonic plasma that is finally dying and I need to do something in the next month. For something that will be worth $0 in 10 years I just want to be sure I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it in the meantime. I do mostly gaming and watch my own collection from Kodi or stream Netflix once in awhile.

So yeah OLED owners, any regrets or should I just pull the trigger?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ImpactVector posted:

It looks like the LG C7Ps sit at around 21ms, which isn't bad at all. The prospect of burn-in is a little worrisome, but they seem to have that under control too.

The KS8000 was on my radar when I first started looking a few months back, but it's honestly looking a little hard to find new these days.

The middle tier thing I'm currently watching is the Sony X900E, which looks to have about 30ms lag. Anything around there is honestly fine, since neither of us plays any competitive shooters or anything.

Hmm yeah, I couldn't really find any decently priced KS8000 sets here (I'm in Canada) so I guess its a moot point. I'm not really a fan of Samsung's tactics in the market lately either, they just seem to be pushing marketing bullshit over real tech improvements.

I guess I will go with the LG OLED. Most of the super timing sensitive games I play on PC anyway. loving thing better not get burn in though when I'm paying this much, LG will be dead to me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah it's weird I had a panasonic plasma and I would leave it on like NCAA football menus for hours and I would notice a little bit of burn in like minutes later but it would always go away pretty fast

That's just temporary image retention, I still get it all the time on my old plasma when I play games. You have to be pretty abusive (CNN idling for 8 hours a day) to get real burn in.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Don't scare me with this lightning stuff - I loving bought the OLED65B7 tonight. It's worth every penny even though I have almost no UHD content to feed it.

I almost bought the Vizio M65-E0. It looked good enough and it was a 3k price difference up here in Canada. Vizio has hosed me on warranty twice before though so I went with LG.

The cashier at Costco stared at it and said "that's the one my husband wanted but I said no. He hates the one we got instead."

Anyways thanks guys. Even with just the Netflix 4k stuff this is pretty insane.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah they have a good price and the extended warranty is just $99. Costco.ca has it too if you need it delivered.

loving TV is jaw dropping.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So it's been a few weeks and I loving love my LG OLED. HDR performance is fantastic, input lag is fine for games and it does a great job with older content too. I paid a fair amount for it so I've been looking for flaws to gripe about but its pretty damned amazing. No issues with IR or burn in despite playing a lot of static HUD games on it. It was a big wallet hit but worth every penny.

I use a receiver and a Shield so I don't actually use WebOS much but it seems pretty great compared to the Panasonic and Samsung smart TV interfaces I remember.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I paid $3984 like a month ago. Price went down 2 weeks later. Oh well, worth every penny man. loving TV is glorious.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

What HDMI cables do you recommend? I'm guessing my 2-3 year old cables aren't going to do it anymore for 4k+HDR @ 60hz.

This work ok?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24187

All of my old cables worked fine, I would test things first before spending money on new cables.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's not natural at all, motion interpolation is inherently artificial and less "true to life". But whatever, your money and your TV you don't need our permission to run showroom settings and turn on all of the compensation features that manufacturers provide. Just don't defend it here, that poo poo sucks :)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Utnayan posted:

So for people hopping on these OLED deals with Beachcamera, are they showing up as manufacturer refurbished or new? Because I just saw the prices on Amazon being the same on the C and B models as people are stating here, but they are manufactured refurbs even though they are stating they are new units.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QQZ9V...1506970117&sr=1

Also, how about OLED burn in? Not image retention but actual burn in? I know Rtings is conducting burn tests currently, and from the avs forums, lots of people seem like they are having issues with the most concerning part being LG not doing anything to help and basically telling them all to F-off.

I am right on the edge of getting the 65" B7 for what will be $2206 tax and shipping included in that price...

I game all the time on mine and its fine so far. Just change up your usage a bit and you'll be fine. Most of the complaints I've seen were with last years models and specific instances like huge stretches of CNN or Overwatch. I have the 65" B7 and its loving great, that's also a really good price.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I did my own bias lighting setup with a kit from Amazon that cost $20. It doesn't have home automation integration or anything but it has a remote and an IR receiver so I was able to program the Harmony to do it all. It even turns on automatically when the TV comes on. Most of my friends and family have said they want me to do that as a Christmas present this year FWIW.

I could take or leave it but I have noticed I get less eye strain than before during long movies and playing video games. If your TV has it built in then that's just a bonus and you can toggle it off if you don't like it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Philips ambilight changes to match the screen content though. Much different than self installed kits.

Hmm that's pretty neat, didn't realize that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Number_6 posted:

The other issue that concerns me with OLED is that it seems like many owners have problems with vertical banding on dark (but not black) content. It's most easily seen on a dark gray screen, but quite a few users say it also can be noticeable when watching content such as night/dawn/dusk/fog scenes. I'd hate to drop thousands on an OLED and have it look like this:

or like this
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2315644&d=1510716292

why can't I just have my plasma TVs back

I have yet to notice anything like this with my OLED. It is weird that these things get nitpicked to death while LCDs are still susceptible to common defects that just get glossed over. Get an extended warranty and stop worrying about it. Don't watch CNN 24/7 or play 20 straight hours of a game consistently, you will be fine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Magius1337est posted:

How bad is the burn in issue? I game a lot and run my computer to my tv so there's plenty of huds and poo poo that stay on screen.

I mostly game on my TV, the occasional movie or show. It's fine, I don't even think I've seen any real IR yet, let alone burn-in. I love this TV so I've logged a ton of time already. People's paranoia about is getting kinda nuts based on a dozen avsforum posters. Just ignore all of the nonsense and if you notice any image retention then that's a good sign to change up your habits a bit.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rastor posted:

Netflix Originals have added grain for a "natural film look"

It's fine in some things but really obnoxious in others. I can't stand it in The Punisher for example, it's just something with the way its applied and in HDR on my TV it looks terrible.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I never really understood the beefs about Android TV until recently, my only exposure was the Shield TV. Then a few weeks ago I used it on a buddy's Sony set and it was laggy/awful. Sometimes it would just miss remote presses and everything was slow. Damned shame, I love it on the Shield TV.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I still use a receiver, everything hooked up to that and then just a single output cable to the TV. I have a full surround setup in the basement though. I lose out on the DV apps builtin to my TV but I don't care, its just way less hassle. I also have a ton of devices and don't want to deal with ARC, HDMI switches and etc.

I sold my old receiver for like 50% of what I paid for it, no complaints. My old TV just moved to a different room, Panny plasma still going strong.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'll look into it when I get home later, cheers.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

I believe current OLEDs can reach about half the brightness of top tier LEDs, that's still a pretty significant difference.

I can't really say I've ever noticed a difference, even in peak HDR stuff. LED upstairs, OLED downstairs and old Panasonic plasma in my workout room.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I did the Costco warranty, cheap enough that it doesn't bump up the price too much unlike other extended warranties. Keep in mind that it doesn't cover burn-in so don't run your OLED light at 100 playing CNN non-stop and expect them to honor it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Set picture mode as ISF Expert dark or bright room

dynamic contrast low
noise reduction off
mpeg noise reduction off
black level auto
real cinema on
motion eye care off
True motion user (de judder to 0, de-blur to 10)
Energy saving to off

Only picture setting (like brightness, contrast, color, etc) you should touch is oled light. adjust it up or down to brighten or dim the screen to taste.

Does the black level auto setting only appear if you turn on dynamic contrast? I only have low/high. Also why de-blur to 10 out of curiosity?