Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I'm looking for a new TV to replace my TH42PX80U. My main concerns are picture quality and price. I really like plasmas, but it seems like I don't have many choices left for that.
The PN64H5000 is what I really want, but it isn't on sale for Black Friday at all, so it seems like I could get a much better deal. I'm also considering the BJ's BF VIZIO E-Series 60" Smart 1080p LED (E600l-B3) - $729.99 which has good reviews for a budget TV. The other two options are the PN60F5300 which lets me stick with plasma for a very cheap price, but from reviews it seems like there is an absurd amount of reflection. Finally, the UN65H6350 seems good, but definitely a midrange display - and if I'm paying that much, why not go with the H5000 for only a $100 more. Though now I'm also considering the H7150 which according to rting has nicer image, though I'm concerned that a good part of the extra $300 price tag is going towards 3D, which I'll not really use ever.

Any advice / actual experiences with these 4 TVs? Are there any models that I should be thinking about that I'm not?

Thom Yorke raps fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Just got the F5300 Plasma, upgrading from a Panasonic 42" 720p Plasma from like 2008. It looks very good, viewing angle is excellent. Glare is pretty bad - I had a painting with glass over it directly opposite, and in mostly dark with a bit of light scenes, the light would reflect off the painting and be visible in the dark parts of the picture. I moved the painting and things are decent now. I would not have it opposite windows or low hanging lights.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

drat, I was expecting the 7150 to stay at $1500 for the 65" for awhile. Guess I'm stuck with my 5300

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

The 5300 plasma is a better tv than the 7150 as far as picture goes

Hmm that is good to hear. The reflection is really, really bad but I guess I'll just keep the lights down when watching movies.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Smeed posted:

Are there any goon approved bang-for-the-buck HDTVs? I browsed the last few pages and saw someone mention Vizio as the best value. I'm looking for something around $500-700 for an apartment where Id most likely be sitting no more than 10 feet away. I was thinking around 50ish inches, is that reasonable? I don't need the greatest (although that'd be cool) as I don't watch much TV. The last time I researched tvs I was working at circuit city when 50 inches was big and anything under 2k was sacrificing something.

Samsung F5300. It is a plasma, 60" for $700. As long as you aren't constantly watching it in a super bright room, it is a great TV.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Coredump posted:

Well the same lovely source was playing on all the other tvs on display in the store and that plasma was the only one to make notice how bad the screen door effect was.

It is a pentile display. If you are within 3-4 feet of the TV, you can notice it, at 10 feet it looks identical to non pentile displays.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I'm planning on replacing my TV. I have a ~60" Plasma that I love - I liked the viewing angle and deep blacks. Should I get an OLED TV, or is there a non OLED that is larger and has excellent contrast?

TV will be for movies, TV, some gaming. Budget is under $6000, with cheaper being better but not that important.

I'm looking at the C9 and the Samsung Q90 - the C9 is smaller and more expensive, but it sounds like the picture is better? Can anyone speak to the differences?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

KS posted:

The Q90 is an LCD panel with good brightness and local dimming, and the C9 is an OLED with much better contrast, better viewing angles, and better HDMI 2.1 support.

Pretty sure you should get a 77 CX from Costco for $4500 including the squaretrade warranty and delivery if you're in the US.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Samsung doesn't make OLEDs, and OLED is on (actually above) plasma's level of image quality.

I know that the Samsung isn't an OLED, the question is how different the picture quality is for the size tradeoff. Sounds like the extra 5 inches isn't worth it

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Almost Smart posted:

A 77" CX or C9 with a 5 year burn-in warranty will run you slightly under $6000. You can save $1000 if you forego the warranty, but I think it's worth the peace of mind. They're arguably the best televisions you can buy at that price point, and nothing else on the market can touch their contrast and viewing angles. The Q90 is an excellent set too though, and whether the benefits of OLED outweigh the price differential is something only you can determine. Try to see both in person if you can.

I was looking at the Q80/Q90, but it sounds like the bigger sizes for them are lower quality / lower contrast ratio, and I was only considering them for the larger screen size, so it looks like I'm gonna get the CX

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

77" CX $4000 preorder - and Buy Dig will throw in $390 worth of Visa gift cards in your cart.

Thanks for this, just bought one through here. Thanks for the advice everyone

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Well, I got my LG CX 77" on the wall. I'm having trouble getting it to work with my Onkyo-616 - if I run my devices through the receiver, it outputs in 1080p, but if I directly connect my nvidia Shield to the TV, it shows 2160p. So I tried to set up ARC but can't get it working.

Do I need to just buy a new receiver? Everything I can find online says the 616 has '4k upscaling' but it looks like the list of inputs only goes up to 1080p.
Also the remote just stopped working after I tried to set up ARC. I factory reset the thing but it's still not working

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah it’s too old. Came in that spot where 4K existed but wasn’t really fleshed out. I think my 656 is the first model they had the HDMI and HDCP spec in place.

sweet. good thing payday is tomorrow. Is there a goon recommended receiver? Poking around lots of things seem sold out right now :/

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

American McGay posted:

How many inputs do you have? You don't have to route the video through the receiver. You can do optical/ARC out from the TV to the receiver if you're fine with only having 3/4 inputs.

Shield, PS4, Switch are what I have right now, so I'd be full but could be a good stopgate. I spent like two hours trying to get ARC working and all I managed to do was have my receiver remote stop working, so I'll get an optical cable

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

codo27 posted:

One thing I will say about my Onkyo, the Net features are trash. What a loving job trying to play a bit of music through my phone. They are very steady with firmware updates (I have the 676) but none of it has helped, and I've been through 2 or 3 phones since I got it. Bluetooth is about my best hope, using the Dolby Play-fi app is slow and oft times will just stop, just going into My Smartphone is much the same. My only real disappointment there.

Mmmm my 616 stopped getting updates in 2015. Supposedly some 6xx series have 4k 60hz passthrough with a firmware update, but mine doesn't have it.

My big disappointment is the remote, the buttons only work half the time

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Krime posted:

May be an obvious question but are you using the correct HDMI input for ARC? Mine is HDMI input 2.

Mine's the first port, checked. Optical cable is arriving today so hopefully that sorts me for a bit

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Anyone know what could be causing this? It's supposed to be a solid color, but has all these artifacts on it. This was happening during Infinity Train, but I've also seen something similar on very white people's skin while streaming movies. Trying to figure out if it's some weird setting on the TV (LG CX) or part of the stream, or some mystery third option

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

"Raises hand"

My 2016 LG C6 has horrendous processing compared to my 2014 Sony. Lack of 3:2 detection on progressive sources. Horrible artifacting on anything with solid colors (like animation) if you turn on Truemotion to even its lowest setting to get around the whole lack of 3:2 detection on progressive sources.

I know LG has made a lot of strides there so it likely isn't as bad anymore, but I certainly have a preference for Sony based on my experiences. My X900Es are champs. I think they can find proper 24fps cadence in smoke signals. Set it and forget it.

hmmm does this horrible artifacting look like the picture I just took? (posted a couple above this)

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

floWenoL posted:

Sweet deal! How's buydig.com as a retailer? I haven't heard of them; I wonder if panel exchanges/returns would be a bigger hassle than with e.g. BestBuy or Amazon...

I bought my CX from them, and it showed up, so I guess thats one point in their favor

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Seeing something... troubling with my new CX display.
Basically sometimes when the display goes to a near black but not quite black screen (ie, 1% greyscale test), there is a roughly thumb shaped outline, maybe ten inches high, that appears on the top left side of the screen. Now, it doesn't show up EVERY time - I just went downstairs and tried to reproduce it, and I couldn't. But I think it happens more often when the TV has been on for awhile. And it is really hard to photograph.

It doesn't really bother me... but the TV is like a month old, so if this is an indication of an issue, I'd like to get it addressed before I've had the TV for a year and thrown away the box. Any thoughts?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Number_6 posted:

It's hard to picture what you are describing, but OLEDs often have issues with uniformity when displaying near-black material. This typically shows up as vertical bands or blotchy areas which are darker or lighter than the rest of the screen. Sometimes it gets better as the panel ages and goes through some panel compensation cycles. This issue is discussed extensively in this thread on AVS:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/oled-screen-uniformity-discussion-banding-and-vignetting.2896737/page-487

sweet, thank you. As long as it's vaguely normal I'm not worried, as otherwise the set looks great

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

The Grey posted:

Why are people going with the CX over the BX?

No 77" BX

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

doctorthefonz posted:

Anyone own the 77" LG CX? I'm thinking of signing up for a Costco membership to take advantage of their 5yr warranty (with free $100 Squaretrade 3yr warranty stacking on top of Costco's own 2yr warranty). From what I gather in this thread it sounds like the CX is an ideal choice for mixed usage PS5/movies/tv/sports. It's a chunk of change but I was already planning on upgrading to OLED at some point in the near future and I'm prepared to spoil myself.

I had a 77" CX delivered from BuyDig. Took about a week to get to me, they brought it into the house.

I really like it so far, but mine DOES have an avocado shaped dark spot that only occassionally shows up on full gray screens; from a bit of googling, this issue seems epidemic. I only ever see it on screen transitions (ie, displaying an image, then the whole screen goes 'dark' but really it's like 1% grey instead of just turning off all the pixels) never in real content.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

That surprises me, isn't a price adjustment a price adjustment?

Often BF deals are limited, and/or on special 'black friday' versions of TVs with lower quality components

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I have those Andrew Jones speakers, I picked them up ~8 years ago on goon recommendation. They sound fine, and my 5.1 set up sounds way better than anything anyone else in my life has. Not saying there isn't better cheap speakers out there, but when most people are rocking a sound bar, it doesn't take much. The bookshelves are just rear speakers though, I dunno if they'd make good front speakers

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

Why you all ragging on a guy for buying the tv they wanted

new thread title?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

My LG CX has a uniformity issue that I'm not sure how to get addressed.
In a dark room, at near black but not fully black levels, there is an oval shaped area that is distinctly darker then everywhere else. It's mostly noticeable when the TV goes from displaying a bunch of bright stuff to a dark background. Not sure how to get it fixed, cause I can't always reproduce it, and when I call them for help they always wanna try a quick fix and see if it's still bad, but I can't tell if it's still bad in the middle of the day in a bright room - hell, sometimes can't tell in a dark room unless the right content is played, can't just fire up a solid screen test on YouTube. Any recommendations? I'm considering just living with it, but don't wanna cause the TV was incredibly expensive

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

teh_Broseph posted:

I'm hella annoyed bout the Shield TV update not as much for the ads but cause I always scroll down the rows to get a feel for what I wanna watch then launch the relevant app using the app icon at the start of the row but they removed that icon and I can't find a way to turn it back on. So now I scroll through the cool flashy rows then go back to the top where I gotta rearrange the favorite app row that I was using for stuff I didn't use as often to launch to profile selection (which we use constantly) cause all the cool flashy rows launch straight to content under whoever the last profile was. Boo

same, the update is such poo poo, and it is hosed up that companies just add ads to things years after you buy them? Like that shouldn't be allowed. gently caress nvidia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Does anyone have recommendations for TV Bias lighting? Looking for something for my 77" CX. It would be cool if it matched the content on the screen, but if it doesn't that is fine too