Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Um, can anyone tell me what this is? And more importantly: how to fix it?

e: oh great it is getting bigger.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Mister Macys posted:

Jesus, thought someone was standing in front of the screen. :stonk:
I can't tell without the lights on, but it looks like what happens when an LCD screen is (permanently) damaged by an impact, cracking... something.

Actually it's a plasma.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I have a Panasonic plasma 50" ST50. Would an upgrade to a 65" K8000 give me a good visual upgrade or will the switch from plasma to LED disappoint me?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Thanks for the advice. May have to bite the bullet and get an upgrade now instead of waiting for OLED to come down- had the plasma for four years now and I'm afraid of getting caught with a degraded picture and not in a sale season.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

You are buying a tv because your plasma may possibly fail one day?

It's more like I want the size upgrade and I've had a plasma die on me before but now there's no free replacement if it happens again.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I was surprised to see so few deals in between the 2018 announcements and the Super Bowl- a testament to how little improvement there is year over year I suppose.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Is there any reason to wait for the 2019 OLED tvs, or should I jump on any ~$2,000 deal I see on mass drop for the 65"?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

Is this a good deal?

LG OLED65C9PUA Class HDR 4K UHD Smart OLED TV (2019 Model)

$2199.0

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIAJKJ95U7775

Didn't the C9 improve a lot of HDR and gaming lag issues? Is this something I should jump on? My old Panasonic Plasma ST50 has started to have some turn on errors like not recognizing HDMI imput until cycling though a few times and I'm getting concerned.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I wonder if the 77 will take a meaningful drop.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
So, there's no way this is really a C9 65 inch for 1.2k right?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
In the current climate, definitely not a roulette wheel I want to spin.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Number_6 posted:

I think OLEDs are probably bright enough to deal with ordinary reflections, but one quirk of OLED is that you must make sure that direct sunlight does not hit the screen, or bad things happen.

Can someone elaborate?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
But isn't the LG OLED even less than that and a better product?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

The 77" price seems to be 3,500 everywhere now. Finally pulled the trigger on Amazon so I can use my card's over time payment option, even though Costco has the better warranty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It really is true about getting used to the size.

Finally pulled the trigger on the CX77, spent a few minutes measuring out the dimentions and was like 'Oh, this will be nice, but doesn't seem like that much'. I had a 50" TV, and I was very wrong.

For the first week, I thought I had hosed up. It just seemed so massive and I felt like I couldn't focus on the screen. Then suddenly one day it just clicked. Weird as hell.