Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I'm considering buying an HDTV to replace the spare Dell 22" LCD monitor that I'm currently using. It'd be used mostly for PS3 games and occasionally watching sports, so I want something with as little input lag as possible. I'd like something 32" or smaller since I'm nearsighted and sit about two feet from the screen. 1080p for sure. I don't need 3D or any smart TV nonsense and I don't care about built-in audio, OTA tuners, depth, or weight. Price isn't a big issue, though I'd prefer to keep it around $500 or less.

I have no idea who makes good small HDTVs these days (if anyone). Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
That Playstation TV doesn't really offer anything over my current ghetto Dell monitor setup except 3D, which I don't even want (I have poo poo depth perception and can't really see 3D at all).

I've spent some hours poking around AVSForums and some other sites and found a few 32" TVs I'm now considering:

Panasonic VIERA TC-L32E5 - Seems to be pretty decent. Input lag isn't as good as the previous IPS-Alpha model, though, but those models seem to be impossible to find now and ridiculously expensive. Don't see too many complaints about it, aside from people talking about a lower contrast ratio than other TVs, but that's to be expected with an IPS display (and I'm using an IPS Dell monitor at the moment anyway and I don't have a problem with the contrast on that, so I doubt it'll be an issue). No panel lottery bullshit, either, apparently. Price is about $460 at Amazon, right in the budget I was aiming for. I'm kind of leaning towards this one, personally, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's had one.

LG 32LM6200 - Also seems to be a decent LG TV with few complaints. However, it's more expensive ($550 right now on Amazon) and has 3D and Internet features I really don't care about. Looked into the current cheaper bare-bones 1080p LG model too (the 32CS560), but it apparently suffers horribly from judder with <120Hz input sources. Most sources say the 32LM6200 is an IPS panel, but I can't find any definitive information on whether there's any panel lottery issues (LG's site says nothing about panel type, which is worrisome).

Samsung UN32EH5000 - Always heard good things about Samsung, mostly, and this model seems decent, but it's apparently panel lottery hell. Was fairly cheap on Amazon earlier today, but now it's back up to the same price range as the Panasonic, so I'm not sure it's a great choice.

Any opinions on these? Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of selection in 32" 1080P models; these were about all I could find in the ~$500-or-less range that weren't terrible off-brands (and there really isn't much in the higher price ranges other than a fully-loaded Samsung "Smart TV" model or two, either).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Hah, I was checking out the Vizio E3D320VX on Amazon because it was under $350 and in the five minutes I spent looking at it, the price went up $120. Oh, Amazon... :cripes:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Panasonic TC-L32E5. Guess we'll see if I've made a terrible mistake or not this weekend. :D

I'll post a review after I try it out, but considering the last TV I actually bought was a $99 27" Orion from Wal-Mart twelve years ago, my opinion's probably not going to be very informed. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

PonchAxis posted:

Hey guys I'm buying my first TV for my room and I got around a $240 budget for this. I'm generally going to use it primarily for video games, stream movies and watch cable tv. I read the OP, but was these and was wondering if any of them were good or not.

https://bit.ly/ZKcSfq

https://bit.ly/11cPCqR

https://bit.ly/VUiuxp

I really have no idea and don't want to end up with a bad tv, so please help goons!

e: A friend of mine recommended me this monitor: https://bit.ly/Eyh6l, I would just need a coaxial cable converter but have no idea where to start on that either.

I would avoid off-brand TVs like Coby and Sansui. If you can stretch your budget a little bit, it shouldn't be hard to find a Samsung, LG, Sony, or Vizio 720p 32" TV for under $280.

That computer monitor would require a separate ~$150 TV tuner to watch plain cable TV, unless your PC already has a TV tuner with a coax input.