Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

How are current Sony LED sets for input lag and games? I just got the Costco version of the KDL-48W600B but I can't find any information online about it at all. It was that or the 47" Vizio someone posted about a few pages ago and consensus was the new models will be out soon but be better. The Sony is apparently the 2014 model but I can't find any info on it and my google-fu is failing me.

Should I be fine with the Sony? I don't want to get too far into installation and wiring if there is a major issue to understand and I can easily return the TV for another now. Essentially this will be used for movies and games in a small loft area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Costco (among others) gets special SKUs so that they can't be pricematched. The TV probably has a different official name.

Lag shouldn't be a concern.

Thanks. The model number I posted is the normal Sony one, not the Costco one, and appears to be so new the internet has near zero info.

Viper_3000 posted:

Swivel arm mount on the wall on the right side of the picture might work? Otherwise the easiest thing to do would just be hang a curtain over the built in and just put a TV stand in front of it.

Is there anything stopping you from knocking out the middle wall between the old SD side and the desk side besides difficulty?
That would be what I do, to be honest, even if it took a bit of work/money.

Honestly, I'd just look at framing over the entire thing, but I also have an irrational hatred of built ins.

I had a cubby in my current house, built mid-nineties, and we had shelves out in with cabinet doors to cover and mounted the TV over the fireplace. I agree that a hinge on the right side and turning the cubby into a framed cabinet with doors or other cover would take care of it and look great.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Viper_3000 posted:

Does your TV have optical out and do audio pass thru? That's going to be the easiest way to wire everything.

HDMI from your sources -> cables thru wall to TV input -> Optical out from TV to soundbar

Otherwise you're looking at running HDMI to the soundbar and using it as a switcher.

I came to ask something very similar.

I tried optical out on my TV and while my sound bar claims to do DTS and Dolby Digital it outputs nothing when I select those sound options on a blu ray.

I assume that I have to mess with settings on the blu ray player to only output certain types of signals and then make sure my TV can actually pass them through, then make sure the sound bar decodes them?

I think my TV does PCM and Dolby Digital at least, so I should be good right?

Of course the manuals and websites for the TV (Sony Bravia so new there is not not info out there on the specific model) and Vizio sound bar are both totally useless with detailed information on how to set this stuff up.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

About that sound bar question I posted earlier. The TV actually seems to pass through digital, at least Dolby 5.1, just fine. But the 42" Vizio "5.1" sound bar is pretty interesting. It is marketed heavily as a full 5.1 sound bar and has received some great reviews. I was confused setting it up when the rear channel speakers (which cleverly plug into the wireless sub) were just given a single color coded cable each, but instead of 'left' and 'right' they were arbitrarily blue and white. When I called Vizio to ask which was left and which was right, I was told 'it doesn't matter.' After an hour of completely circular discussion it turns out that while the system does have 5.1 speakers indeed it is only a 4.1 channel system where even Dolby digital and DTS sound and muxed or something where the rears output the same signal.

I have no idea how they can get away with marketing a 4.1 system as 5.1 just because they include two rear speakers.

On the other hand the new Bravia KDL-48600WB is a pretty nice set, especially for the price.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

*sigh* I hear you.

I got mine in 2010 and I swear it’s on twelve hours a day and it’s still going strong.

Problem is when it dies I will need a new receiver with audio return on hdmi and (please tell me I’m wrong) fish a new cable through the walls.

I’m not looking forward to any of that, and what I have works so...

(I really want a whole new setup)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Is there such thing as a Blu-Ray player with a built-in DVR or PVR?

This post makes me really, really miss my TiVo with the built in DVD burner. That thing was the bomb.

Also makes me wonder why the Xbox One X Pro can’t record TV since didn’t Microsoft want the Xboxes to be cable boxes too?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Cobalt Viper posted:

Plasma people are hosed up in the brain. This is the only reasonable explanation.

You may pry my 2010 Panasonic plasma out of my cold dead hands, sir.

I will probs go OLED if it ever dies, but most of my friends have been through 2-3 televisions since I got this Panny and it’s still going strong.
My worry with OLED is the TV is on here 12+ hours a day, and burn in would be a problem. Strangely our plasma has no burn in we can see.

I would buy another new plasma if I could.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

IF you are used to taking care of a plasma you can take care of an oled.

“Taking care of”?

We use it. All the time. That’s all.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hey all I just recently got a 4K TV and I wanted to know a thing or two about watching 1080p Blu-ray stuff.

I have a standard Blu-ray player from some years ago and the only Blu-ray stuff I have is anime. True weeb poo poo. Would I need or notice any difference if I got a 4K upscaling player? If so, what’s a good one to get if I don’t necessarily plan on buying any 4K Blu-ray stuff any time soon?

Depends if you get a blu ray player with a better upscaler than your TV. Unless you are really investing in 4K disc content maybe don’t worry about it and figure out streaming high def stuff instead?

Does what you have now look good and make you happy?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dogen posted:

I don’t think I’ve seen any reasonable person say an upscaling player is worthwhile.

They didn’t have the wire lifters installed properly or the crystals were out of alignment.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

2018 LG oleds can detect and dim logos as well.

Tell me more :fap:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Do they sell the current, good LG OLED models at Costco yet? They have different numbers for everything and I can’t tell if it’s still 2017 stock or if it’s the new models.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah I'm 0 for 2. Samsung before, now LG. We'll see how TCL does. We're rough on TVs though because my wife always has it on. I think we run up the hours more than the typical user.

Same here. At least 12-14 hours a day on downstairs, another 6 upstairs. Makes me worry about an OLED downstairs. Maybe TCL is the way to go.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Who absentmindedly forgets to turn a TV off?

Not so much that as it’s just kind of on all the time. The Panasonic plasma at my house is on 12-16 hours a day. I weep in anticipation of its death and the move to OLED and then getting burn in in a year or less.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qirex posted:

It’s important to note that as of right now there are zero cheap HDMI switches that fully and reliably support HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. Plug your 4K sources into the TV directly.

Does ARC work properly now? I’m one of those 2008 pany plasma w/ Denon receiver types and there basically isn’t a way to get audio from the TV back to the receiver.

I figure new TV time is also new receiver time here?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

smoobles posted:

Is QLED worth paying more for?

In a word: no.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

smoobles posted:

Whoa you weren't kidding about the premium...

What makes a $3,000 Samsung QLED so terrible to the point that a $5,500 Sony is better?

I am out of the loop on TVs.

Because you either want an OLED, a projector & screen, or a sub $500 TCL tv. There isn’t a use case for the Samsung QLED with those alternatives.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

pwn posted:

Early adopters really get shafted, huh?

High Dynamic Range (HDR)
When we announced PS4 Pro and the new slimmer PS4 last week, we also announced that all PlayStation 4 systems — back to the very first console sold in 2013 — would be HDR capable. After updating your system to version 4.00, you’ll see HDR settings in the Video Output Settings and be ready to enjoy HDR gaming and entertainment content once it’s available on any PS4 system you own. Of course, you’ll need an HDR compatible display as well.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The difference between running a 125w and 250w appliance for 6 hours a day is ~$35 at average US residential power prices, for what it's worth. Not saying you didn't get the right TV, just that it might not make sense to weight this factor too much.

So what you’re saying is that ROI going from a Panasonic plasma to a C8 is like 16 months?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Any recommendations on universal remotes? I don't have a lot of devices, but my sound bar blocks the ir receiver on my TV and it's driving me up a loving wall. I'm hoping to get a RF remote.

I've had Harmonies in the past, I just don't know how they handle controlling the on tv apps without buying the $300 Elite one with the touchscreen.

Harmony smart hub/home hub with the simpler/dumb remote (without a screen). If you need fancy, use the smartphone app, it the little dumb screenless remote is absolutely the best thing ever.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

At this rate it will soon be cheaper to put screens all over your walls than to put up wallpaper.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anyone actually buy a ‘19 LG OLED yet?

I figure it was worth waiting for, and my spidey senses tell me my ‘08 penny plasma isn’t long for this world.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Isn’t the C9 out or almost out?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

SourKraut posted:

I’m guessing I already know the answer, but are wall mount anchors reusable or are they meant for one-time installation? I’m asking because my wife and I bought a house which came with a wall mount installed.

The previous owners had a smaller TV mounted to it, and when they left they didn’t leave any documentation behind. The mount has no branding info, so from looking at pictures online, it could be a Peerless or a cheap Chinese knock off from aliexpress...

The TCL manual says use one rated for 5x the TV weight but I don’t know what the mount’s limit is, so...

Hang from it (your body weight, like hang or try to do a chin up). If you can hang from it and it’s solid, then it’s safe for your TV.

Older TVs were heavier than new ones (generally) and older mounts were usually pretty well made. Relatively speaking.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

LordOfThePants posted:

A word of warning, if you buy your LG TV from a non-authorized retailer, they're going to invalidate your warranty.

I turned my C8 on a few weeks ago and there was a black line on it. It persisted on every input/app. Contacted LG, they asked for my receipt, then promptly called me to say "since you bought this on eBay we will not honor your warranty".

Of course, I knew this was a risk, so I had purchased a $100 Square Trade Warranty from Costco. Luckily, they covered it. They initially tried to replace it with a Samsung QLED, which I told them I wouldn't accept. They instead cut me a check for the purchase price of the TV after a lot of back and forth.

Hopefully I can snag a good deal for a replacement once the check shows up. Definitely spring for the Square Trade warranty if you buy from someone other than an authorized dealer.

I saw a 65” C9 at Costco yesterday. Only $3200.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GreenNight posted:

A nice size bedroom TV.

Life size adult viewing?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

My local Costco got in the 65” C9. $2,499. Pretty tempting.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Oh, I know there are good deals out there. I just started a new job and haven’t even gotten my first paycheck. My panny plasma is still kicking just fine for now. It’s nearly a decade old, which feels really weird. But it’s fine despite heavy use.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Taima posted:

Wait what the flying gently caress? First of all I just jizzed myself, but isn't GSYNC through DP only? The C9 doesn't have a DP, or at least mine doesn't, maybe the E9 has it or something but I haven't heard anything about that.

I'm basically sitting in disbelief right now. This is exactly what I wanted, and the perfect holdover until true HDMI 2.1. Unbelievable.

The post and press release heavily imply that it’s HDMI, but maybe only through a limited series of nvidia cards.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Elysium posted:

My father in law keeps changing my tv settings from Movie mode with all the bullshit turned off to full dynamic soap opera eye burning madness. Am I legally allowed to murder him or should a simple maiming suffice?

Public shaming or stockade is entirely warranted. The worst of offenses deserves a harsh punishment.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Moey posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be expecting OLED black levels, just seems like a decent upgrade from the current LG 42LN5400.

I am in no rush, most of its use is putting on crap in the background then falling asleep. Might as well hold out.

TCL Black Friday deal might be what you are looking for.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qirex posted:

Don't bother trying, even commercial displays are "smart" now. That said most TVs will let you not use the "smart" functions if you avoid the onboard apps [except for the ones that report your viewing habits for resale to advertisers]. On my Sony I never see the Android home screen unless I specifically request it which I only do to tweak the settings. You could just not give it network credentials but some will join public networks if they can't phone home.

I use a dns sinkhole to keep “smart” things from phoning home. My TCL tv still ranks as one of the top offenders trying to do stuff when it shouldn’t. So it just gets routed to Dev/null.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

American McGay posted:

Plasma people are actually insane.

I’m still waiting for the next coming of the plasma. My Panny is a decade old. May she last another twenty.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Stop making me want to upgrade.

Maybe I should list my plasma for $950 and then get a C9 at Costco.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have a cheap Vizio “5.1” sound bar. Remote sub with two rear speakers.

The rear speakers are _mono_. There isn’t left rear and right rear. Just rear. I complained to their customer service. They claimed since it was five speakers and a sub, it was 5.1, even though they didn’t process all 5 channels...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have the audio engine a5s and the sub. They are nice but I wouldn’t use them instead of a 5.1 system or “good” sound bar for the same price for pairing with a TV.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BonoMan posted:

What model? That doesn't sound right at all.

I think it’s this one.

I was pissed when I saw that the rear did not have left or right sides, and when I called to talk to their customer support, they were all kinds of rude. I confirmed this by playing test sounds through a home theater configuration disc. Rears are not separated.

But it was cheap and I wasn’t pissed enough to return it to Costco. It isn’t my main TV, just one used mostly for Switch, previous gen game systems, and movies for the kids in a little nook upstairs.

But yeah don’t be suckered into not actually 5.1 sound bars.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BonoMan posted:

That doesn't seem right and reviews of that unit confirm its real 5.1.

Are you sure you don't have the wrong mode selected? There's a stereo x 2 mode that just duplicates the front channels to the back.

I can't imagine they made a 5.1 unit that didn't actually have separate rear channels.

Edit: this article sort of mentions something similar. But it's about how the 5.1 signal isn't getting properly passed through the TV (which isn't uncommon). So the signal is dumbed down to stereo. I'd bet dollars to nuts that's what's happening to you. But that's a TV issue and not a sound bar issue.

So I'd check how it's connected and try to skip the pass through.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/vizio-s4251w-b4-review/

I have confirmed good signals going into the unit. The rears aren’t even labeled left and right and their support confirmed that both rears should output the same thing, that they are not stereo.

I can even get the sound bar to show it’s doing Dolby digital or whatever, but the rears are still mono.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Elem7 posted:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, US prices and rough shipping dates are out for the 2020 LG OLEDs.

48-INCH 55-INCH 65-INCH 77-INCH
BX — $1,600 $2,300 —
CX $1,500 $1,800 $2,800 $5,000
GX — $2,500 $3,500 $6,000
WX — — $5,000 —

Glad I held off on getting a 77'', C9s were still commonly going for $5k at that size.

I'm probably ordering soon as BestBuy or Costco will let me.

So street on the CX is likely to be around 2,000-2,100?

Anyone know if the GX has to be mounted flush or if you can angle it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Munkaboo posted:

Got my C9 today! All aboard the OLED train toot tooooot!

Our planet looks incredible.

The OLED tech demos on YouTube are just insane.

Anything I should be doing with the settings?

Find the RTINGS recommended setting page and start there.