Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a Vizio P-Series Quantum 65", everything I am reading is that is still top for $1,000~. I'm fine spending $1,000, looks like I could go cheaper with a TLC 6 series but the next step up is $1,500-$2,000 for more local dimming zones or OLED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Taima posted:

The prices have gone down super quick.

Honestly that makes me a little apprehensive, we want a new TV but I would rather let OLED/MicroLED mature a bit, we can always move this TV from the den to the living room.

Josh Lyman posted:

Is this last years P Quantum PQ65 or this year’s P Quantum X PX65?

Last years, it's $879.00 on Amazon plus I get 10% cash back on my credit card. It's going in our den so I'm not dealing with ambient light issues so while more dimming zones and a brighter display would be nice I don't think they are 40% nicer.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 3, 2019

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Well I procrastinated buying the Vizio P-Series Quantium because I was second guessing my decision as that is my thing even though we literally have the money set aside already to pay for it and now it is up to $999 instead of the $849 for Black Friday.

How often do these things go on sale? I was going to put it on my Discover card because it is 5% cash back %5 cash back match on Amazon through the end of December.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Is streaming more constrained on the server side or the client side? Because we have an unmetered gigabit internet connection that I could hard wire into a streaming box.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

We had our Vizio P-Series Quantium installed this weekend and I am pleased to report that Smartcast is fine. It feels like every review just shits on Smartcast constantly, I was trying to decide if we needed an Nvidia Shield, an Apple TV or both but now we will probably get neither.

Chromecast works, Airplay works, it's got live TV from Hulu, an Amazon video, Netflix, Youtube, my husband can work it. Like, it's not incredible but it is perfectly fine.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So until this weekend I don't think I understood what a ~thing~ having a TV wall-mounted can be so if anyone is considering the Vizio P Series Quantum it is $899 on Amazon right now with free wall mounting and their wall mounting is legit. They brought the TV in, unpacked it, mounted it to the wall, cleaned everything up and offered to take the giant box with them. Super nice too.

Only cost was the $20 we tipped them each, it appears that is a really solid perk on top of a good price on the TV.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

mattfl posted:

The 65" B9 LG OLED regularly goes on sale for around $1500-1700

And a P-Series Quantum goes for $900 which is a pretty significant price difference. No question an OLED is better but is it 90% better?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

BonoMan posted:

I have that same Vizio unit and it really is amazing at that price, even with dialogue.

I have another, cheaper, Vizio soundbar and it kinda was like "ok this is slightly better than the TV speakers but not blowing me away" but that Vizio you linked is pretty stellar. I bought it refurb'd for $130 and love it.

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon, I've had one for a few months now and have absolutely no issues with the sound quality. I know it isn't exceptional but it really sounds fine. Google Cast functionality is great to since we already use Google Cast for whole house audio.

Astro7x posted:

I hate but also love those Vizio 5.1 Soundbars.

They sound great for the price, but cut in and out. It's like if there is no signal it does this thing where the audio fades up when the signal comes back. So even in that split second when changing channels or after a video game load screen, it cuts off the beginning of sounds. Like trying to play games on my NES classic is horrible because there are times in the games where there is no sound.

It's not annoying enough where I bought two of them, but would think they are fine other than that

Um, I don't have this problem either.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have a cheap Vizio “5.1” sound bar. Remote sub with two rear speakers.

The rear speakers are _mono_. There isn’t left rear and right rear. Just rear. I complained to their customer service. They claimed since it was five speakers and a sub, it was 5.1, even though they didn’t process all 5 channels...

Um, no, at least the version posted here that I have and paid $130-ish for refurbished definitely has separate rear channels.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

The rears aren’t even labeled left and right

Yeah, just occurred to me why you thought this, they are marked but very poorly, they are however color coded, both the jacks on the sub and the rear speaker and the cables, white to white, blue to blue.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

We have the Vizio 5.1 with wireless sub and are very happy with it, Chromecast audio support is very nice.

I, however, suffer from mid-range hearing loss, so I can't really speak to being an expert on sound, all the reviews I have seen say it is pretty decent though, especially for the price.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

GreenNight posted:

No one ever said "I wish I got a smaller TV".

This is not true, I've been in several houses that have TVs that are clearly too big.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It depends, it's not clear what the next step is.

Quantum dots can be electroluminescent as well and that's the end goal state. Instead of exciting the QD through blue light passed through an LCD, you excite it with an electric current. That gives you all the advantages of quantum dots and all the advantages of OLED with the infinite blacks since they are now self illuminating.

There are a ton of different arrangements.

Right now what we have is

blue led -> quantum dot (creating white light) -> LCD -> color filter

But you can do

blue led -> LCD -> Quantum dot (replacing color filter) That's technically an emissive display, but you can still have backlight bleed since there's an LCD in the mix

You can also do

blue OLED -> Quantum Dot instead of the white led -> color filter that LG is currently doing.

The holy grail is

Cathode -> Quantum Dot -> Anode

Saying they are ending all LCD production implies that they are now going after that last step. It's not 100% clear though.

I honestly don't understand why? MicroLED is clearly the future and Samsung is heavily involved in it, dual layer LCDs will be able to outperform and be more durable than OLED displays.

Honestly I think in a few years OLED will be the cheap option for higher end displays outside of speciality applications, dual layer QLCD will be the common option for higher end displays without major depth/weight constraints and MicroLED will take over the high-end.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

morestuff posted:

The other day I put one out in the alley with a "Works Just Fine" sign taped to it and it was gone before I could walk back inside. I live in Chicago though so YMMV

I did this with my old flat screen, set it on the curb, went inside to grab the remote to put with it and the TV was already gone by the time I went back out. Pretty sure one our hoarder neighbors took it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I’m tempted to just buy the Sceptre from Walmart for $389, but doubt it’s very good. What’s a good, day, sub-$1K choice?

We have a Sceptre 32" in our kitchen, it's absolute trash. Which I'm honestly fine with because where it is mounted, I fully expect it to break at some point, I bought it assuming it was disposable, but I would absolutely not recommend a product from a company that would sell such a poo poo display these days for anything more than I thing I expect to break because of boiling oil splatter.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

The 8 series is the mini-led set, from what I remember. It's actually got less effective microdimming according to Rtings.

I almost bought one of these, it's been around the price before. It is mini-led but the reviews I have seen said it local dimming is equivalent to a Vizio P (Non-X) so the mini-leds don't seem to be doing much.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Maybe there are lighting applications where brightness and efficiency are less important, and where they could use some kind of unique aspect of OLED technology (like its ability to be easily manufactured directly on glass or plastic) to give it some kind of edge over normal LEDs or other lighting technologies?

Yeah, you can definitely buy OLED lighting but pretty much all of it "to the trade", i.e. we won't even speak to you unless there is a reputable interior architect telling us you have a million dollar budget for your living room remodel.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 7, 2020

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Huh interesting. Why are some people interested in OLED lighting? What makes it more compelling over other kinds of lighting?

Same as anything at that price point, gross excess for almost the singular value of gross excess. And the fact that you can't have it.

You don't think Samsung and Sony are loving around when they suggest their mind bogglingly expensive display walls can be used in your home, do you?

:ssh: They are only renders because the people that have these things installed would never agree in a million years to let them be photographed.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 7, 2020

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

The free year of warranty is nice too! I bought my Vizio PQ65 from them and it had this intermittent issue where both video and audio would randomly blank for a few seconds. Vizio sent a repair person to replace the motherboard and it’s been solid for a week now.

Also I got it at an insane discount last July for $700. I had to drive to a location an hour away but everything closer had it for $1200-1500. When you’re in store, try asking them to look up pricing in their system if you have a bunch of locations in a 100 mi radius.

We bought a PQ65 for $850 including wall mounting on an Amazon special in December and are incredibly pleased, given the price. I mean, sure, it's not on OLED but it has a great picture at a price we didn't have to think a lot about as a long term investment. I'm still waiting to see what is going to happen in the next year or two with other technologies or the price bottom falling out on OLED.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

You can either longpress 1-8 when in the app/input, or hold 0 and bring up the quickselect menu.

Also, uh, glad we dodged the Lowtax bullet there!

This is one of my favorite features on my BMW infotainment system and I don't understand why the concept is not more common. The presets can be set to literally any menu of function by just holding a preset button, you want preset 1 to be a radio station, sure, preset 2 tire pressure, no problem, preset 3 enter your home address into the navigation system, done.

Someone must have a massive patent on this because as a concept it makes sense on so many devices.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

KS posted:

It's just not really worth the trade-off -- the benefits of infinite contrast are greater than the benefits of increased brightness. When the oled (or potentially mini-led) can get brighter and check both boxes that will be a very good day.

Dual layer LCD haven't really become a thing but besides their obvious size implications they can match OLED black levels with LCD brightness.

Basically they just sandwich a mono LCD player to control the backlight under the color LCD layer. It's more "common" in HDR reference monitors but it's trickling down.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Alternately does anyone have a rec for some affordable headphones that can direct connect to a 6 series? Can I just use any Bluetooth set?

Easiest universal solution is to buy a Bluetooth transmitter and connect it to your probably vestigial TV optical output. It's cheap, easy and just works.

In more detail I put AptX transmitters on our living room and den TVs for my husband who is not at all technically inclined, bought a AptX transmitter for each, paired them both with AptX Bluetooth earbuds that stay in each room, all he has to do is grab the headphones, turn them on and mute the soundbar, everything works perfectly.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

OK, super strange question...

I'm looking for a 40-inch-ish TV to run Dakboard in our office in portrait orientation so I want something that will boot directly to a HDMI port and not it's smart display software. Also with minimal bezels.

The obvious choice is a digital signage display like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BE43R-Direct-Lit-Commercial-LH43BERBLGAXGO/dp/B07V8L6GKJ/

Which honestly isn't priced that bad but if I could get away with a consumer 4k display I don't think I really need to spring for a digital signage display.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Is it your money? Get the digital signage if not.

Oh, I probably should have phrased that differently.

"Our office" as in my husband and my home office, it's not going into a business setting. If it were for a commercial display I would obviously go with a digital signage product.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I figure with the state of LCD manufacturing that the bigger difference is going to be in support and ripping their smart software off it at this point. We have 32" Dakboard in the kitchen on a cheap display from Walmart that has been running 24/7 365 for a year with zero issues.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So I'm kind of leaning towards one of the Hisense AndroidTV displays. Our kitchen TV runs an MiBox with a Dakboard daydream app so I can use it to watch Hulu or Youtube or whatever and then it automatically kicks it back into Dakboard as the "screensaver".

This actually kind of seems ideal, I don't need another Dakboard source and at least as I understand it I would be able to sideload the daydream app and the TV would automatically kick back into it when it is turned on.

Are there any special limitations with the Android TV software with Hisense or can I just sideload the app and log it into the Dakboard before I mount it sideways?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

So I'm kind of leaning towards one of the Hisense AndroidTV displays. Our kitchen TV runs an MiBox with a Dakboard daydream app so I can use it to watch Hulu or Youtube or whatever and then it automatically kicks it back into Dakboard as the "screensaver".

This actually kind of seems ideal, I don't need another Dakboard source and at least as I understand it I would be able to sideload the daydream app and the TV would automatically kick back into it when it is turned on.

Are there any special limitations with the Android TV software with Hisense or can I just sideload the app and log it into the Dakboard before I mount it sideways?

OK, doing some more research I have more questions...

Can I set TV settings from Google Assistant? If i can set a Google Routine to throw the TV in dark mode after bedtime, shut it off in early morning hours and have it automatically turn back on full brightness in the morning, all while automatically springing back into Dakboard I think I'm sold.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

50 inch H65 office screen installed, Android TV automatically loads my DAKboard in portrait mode as a screensaver.

Goddamn, when did cheap TVs get so good? Auto backlight levels, slim bezels, 4k, viewing angles are excellent even when mounted in portrait, all for $250. The thing looks more like art than a cheap TV slapped on the wall.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Huh, no ads on mine yet:

But I get it, they couldn't sell these things as dirt cheap as they do without selling real estate on them and I think that is largely what consumers have asked for.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

AppleTV has been known to promote their TV content as well. There's no escaping ads for promoted content on pretty much any platform.

Apple promotes sure but they honestly don't seem to be hovering up and selling your data which definitely can't be said for other platforms.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Shield, PS4, Switch are what I have right now, so I'd be full but could be a good stopgate. I spent like two hours trying to get ARC working and all I managed to do was have my receiver remote stop working, so I'll get an optical cable

Unless my TV is unusual the HDMI ARC still functions as a HDMI input and ARC even when the TV is set to another HDMI input, so since the Switch and PS4 aren't 4k, plug both of those into your receiver and the Shield into your TV and you are only down 1 port.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Huh, no ads on mine yet:

But I get it, they couldn't sell these things as dirt cheap as they do without selling real estate on them and I think that is largely what consumers have asked for.

Welp, there we go...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

So... why is this portrait?

For obvious reasons I'm not going to show mine but imagine something that looks like this:

It shows my work appointments, work task list, news headlines, weather, etc. At the end of the day it automatically changes into a giant digital photo frame for husband approval.

You can basically put anything on it that will load from an iframe or available as JSON data or an HTML/Javascript widget along with a bunch of native API tie ins with other services. And since it renders as a webpage the AndroidTV software built into the Hisense TVs basically renders it natively.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Am I doing this right?

Am I the only one that remembers going to like dive bars and non-chain quick serve businesses and they had TVs mounted like that? I mean, normally there weren't on TV stands, they had constructed huge plywood stands for them, but that was legit a thing for a period of time.

Also you still see travesties like this:

That's a $1.35M condo with custom cabinetry for their old rear projection TV, hole still cut into the side for cable routing.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 3, 2020

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Did I get into some A/B Amazon group earlier this year? Ordered a $900 65" Vizio TV, chose free wall mounting, two guys showed up with the TV like two days later and installed and setup everything, took a photo to show it was in full working order, carted all the trash out with them.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

So this might be an option for some people:

https://pickupnow.com/

I used them a little while back to have a rather large piece of art delivered. It's exactly as promised, someone shows up at the pick up place with a pickup truck, truck comes with a bunch of tie downs and protective blankets, they load the poo poo in their pickup truck, drive it to your house and unload it. They were incredibly gentle with my artwork.

Given the way I have had some home deliveries treated it might be an option for safely getting a larger TV delivered.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Tell me about the Google assistant feature on my Sony X900H. Is the TV always listening to what I say? Or does it only activate itself when I press the button?

I love being able to turn off the TV from all the way across the room, but half the time it just tells me the device is not available. Same when I try to turn it on. Chances are I just don't have it set up properly though.

They are separate, Google Assistant runs on the TV and needs to be triggered from the remote unless you link them to your Google Home account and then Google Home can control your TV through Google Assistant on any device.

Android TVs do not automatically get added to your Google Home environment, they have to be added.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

5436 posted:

Honestly, even if you cannot afford the OLED, get the OLED. If you don't game, then getting basically any OLED is future proof. You may spend an extra $800 dollars for a TV that will last ~10 or more years. Like if you could get the best car on the market for $800 more, would you do it? Why not the TV?

Yep, LG's business plan is to slowly drive the cost down for OLED panels to the point where they are basically commodities because of their simple design, then get out of the TV business/OLED business.

There are already two technologies that arguably surpass OLED right around the corner, MicroLED and dual layer LCD, I think most high end HDR content is already mastered on dual layer LCD because OLED isn't considered good enough.

Just wait a year or two, the studios will all announce their content is optimized for Dolby Vision Mega 2.0 and require higher peak brightness for the image not to look like poo poo or we will find out that modern OLED panels actually degrade on a exponential scale.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

MicroLED is still (likely) a 10 year tech to get to affordable prices at the pixel densities we would need.

OLED still has advancements in the pipeline. One potential route is using quantum dots excited by blue LEDs rather than white LEDs through color filters. Blue is passed without a filter and then the blue leds excite a quantum dot layer to produce red and green light. This is more efficient than the current approach since with white LEDs you are using energy to create a broad spectrum of light and then filtering out most of it to get specific colors. Instead, you tune the LEDs to create a specific narrow band output of light which gets used almost completely.

More efficient use of energy will allow for higher brightness and lower the risk of burn in (since LEDs won't have to be driven as hard.)

My point is, if paying $800 more for deep blacks and lower peak brightness is worth it to you or you are so wealthy that $800 is just meaningless, by all means buy a OLED TV, buy the LG rollable one that just went on sale for $87,000, whatever.

But you are completely deluding yourself if you believe a OLED TV is a long term investment because it is "future proof", it absolute is not in any sense of the word, 4 years from now you will just have an out of date 4 year old TV with the same brightness tradeoffs and possibly severed OLED degradation. Hell, maybe it is just straight up broken, OLEDs are not immune from design defects, maybe just buy a high end QLED TV and an iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

My experience has been Alexa is good at turning the TV on and Off abut other than that... ehhh.

I'm pretty committed to Google, but the point still stands, pausing playback by voice is something that I find low key life changing. My husband barely tolerates all the tech our house is filled with but he even uses it all the time.