Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What's the general consensus opinion regarding this curved-screen business? Is it gonna be a common thing 10 or 20 years from now, or will flat screens probably come out on top? Or will it only exist in the most expensive high-end models?

I'm trying to figure out if a curved-screen LED TV is a better purchase than a flat-screen LED in the long-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Another question I have no idea where to post, but I'm pretty sure it goes in this thread.

My cable company uses QAM-256. My TV doesn't have a QAM-256 tuner. Which apparently means I might oughta think about getting a QAM-256 converter.

Does anyone here know anything about QAM-256 converters? Like, how it might improve the quality of my cable service, or whether using one could make it possible to see additional channels on my channel lineup that weren't visible before?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The backlights in our Sharp flatscreen TV have died, and the task of finding a new one if it can’t be fixed has fallen to me.

I need suggestions for good new TVs, between about 43” and 60”. It doesn’t necessarily have to be anything fancy, though 4K UHD might be nice. We don’t want it to be curved.

I haven’t been given an exact budget. I suggested between about $1500 and $2000 and was told that was a good range, but we could probably go higher (or lower) if necessary.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 24, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

You mean like this one, but 65”.

Why is my shirt all wet? Where’d all this drool come from?

EDIT: Only 60Hz refresh rate though. :geno:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 24, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

$2800 is a bit on the high side, but I’m being told we can afford it so I’m game.

Now I have to call Geek Squad to see if out old one can be fixed (I kinda hope not :mrgw:).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GreenNight posted:

You can find it cheaper elsewhere. I'm not totally familiar with where though, other goons are more knowledgeable.

If you do go with BB, sign up for eBates (it's free) and you'll get 1% back on this. https://www.ebates.com/r/JRS376?eeid=28187

Cheers!

Google says it’s available on eBay new for $2000.

I’m not familiar with buying new stuff on eBay. Can I teally get the exact same product there brand new for $800 less than Best Buy?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kickass!

Thanks, TV thread!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GreenNight posted:

If it's this link:

https://www.ebay.com/p/LG%2DOLED65C8PUA%2D65%2D2160p%2D4K%2DHDR%2DOLED%2DInternet%2DTV/7016892725?iid=253616294985&rt=nc

It looks legit. I have a B8 I got from Beach Camera for $700-$800 cheaper than Best Buy so that's not surprising. 2% back through eBates too.

Aaaaaaaand bought.

... gently caress it won’t be here until May 8th and they won’t let me choose faster shipping? gently caress :negative:

What the gently caress are we supposed to do for TV for the next 2 weeks!?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GreenNight posted:

Cuddle around your laptop or tablet.

I got a rental at Rent-A-Center for $50 total. I think this is one of the only circumstances where it’s okay to use Rent-A-Center.

EDIT: Even if Rent-A-Center somehow fucks us, unless they gently caress us out of $1000 we’re still spending less than we would’ve spent at Best Buy.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 24, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

A guy I talked to at Best Buy warned me to check and make sure this TV is genuine when we get it. He said all I have to do is google the serial number or look for it on LG’s website; if I get a hit on either, it’s genuine.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yes. :smugmrgw:

I am excited. :snoop:

EDIT: I hope the Best Buy guy was wrong and the TV is genuine.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

American McGay posted:

I don't think there's such a thing as not genuine TVs.

The main scam with TVs is sketchy websites will list the TV for like $2000 off of MSRP and you'll try to order it and it will come up as out of stock but if you call in and talk to a guy he can get you the E model which is only for European markets or something weird and convoluted like that.

If you're buying it from a seller on eBay it's legit. The only possible issue would be shipping but I haven't had any problems with it before.

Sweeeet

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do I need to worry about this TV falling over? Cuz I have a cat that likes to sit in front of the TV sometimes and I’d hate for it to fall on him.

EDIT: ... I think I might be making up things to worry about.

\/\/\/ Okay cool

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 25, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

TCL 43S515 $250 shipped - includes 30 day free trial of Sling TV.

Awesome!

I have no idea where mine is right now. There’s some indication on the product page that eBay’s tracking system doesn’t take updates from this particular freight company for some reason. I hope it gets here soon though. I’m getting hyped!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fuuuuuuck that’s $100 less than what I paid

EDIT: Although the sales tax on mine ended up being only like 6 bucks. What the tax on this one, I wonder?

EDIT 2: THERE IS NO SALES TAX :negative:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 27, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GreenNight posted:

Don't do this. There will always be cheaper. It happens. You're gonna get a gently caress awesome TV man.

Thanks.

To answer your question, Streebs, yes you should probably bite on that deal.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Streebs posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I pulled the trigger. Can't wait to get my new TV!

:same:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I really want to replace the TV in my bedroom, but I can’t afford another C8, and even if I could I’m pretty sure I don’t have enough space for a 65” TV. Maybe 50” or 55” tops, though 55” would be a stretch.

EDIT: Is this one any good?

EDIT 2: Or this one?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 29, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What’s the display lag like on this one? I’m gonna use this TV to play video games, and the lag site in the OP doesn’t have an entry for the 615 (only the 617).

Also what’s the refresh rate like, because the same site shows the two TVs I posted have 120 Hz and I’d like something at least that fast if I can afford it?

EDIT: BestBuy.com answered the second question.

EDIT 2: And now apparently the C8 comes in 55” flavor.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 29, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So all of the TVs I linked to are poo poo, then?

Also what’s the difference between the 55” LG C8 and the LG B8?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hmm... well I can get a 55” B8 for a few hundred dollars less than a C8, so should I just go with that?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Out of curiosity, does the 65” LG C8 have any features that the 55” C8 doesn’t, and do they perform any different?

I’m trying to figure out if I should swap our 65” C8 for a 55” when it gets here, mostly because doing so would save us enough money that I could more easily get a second 55” C8 for my bedroom.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 30, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

American McGay posted:

The feature is it's 40% larger.

idk how big your bedroom is or what your viewing habits are but I think you'll get much better usage out of a 65" OLED in the living room and a 49" LCD in the bedroom.

I mean I’m kinda torn. I really want to keep the huge 65”, but I also really want a kickass new OLED TV for my room (my current TV is about 10 years old), and I don’t think I can do both.

Another issue is that as much as I want a giant rear end 65” TV in my living room, it is a little big for the space it’s going in. Our old TV was 43” and we’re renting a 50” until the C8 gets delivered, and the 50” is already the same width as the table it sits on. We’re gonna have to rehang a couple of paintings on the wall behind our TV area when the C8 gets here, and that’ll be easier to do with a 55” TV than a 65”.

I can make space in my room for a 55” TV if I need to, it just might be a little tricky. I’m way more concerned about having a good TV in there than a TV that’s easy to fit, and from looking at this thread it doesn’t sound like there’s anything particularly good below 55”.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad has decided he wants to swap down to the 55” C8 for our living room. So does anybody know any reputable places to get good deals on a 55” C8 and I guess a 49” X900F?

Like is this legit?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

703 posted:

ABCtvs i'm pretty sure is not a good place to purchase from. if you google it and its cheaper on a site that's not newegg or via brads deals, i'd be suspect

sites with super low prices like this apparently call you once your order is placed and try and haggle you to purchase another tv because the one you ordered is out of stock. your experience may vary

This information right here is why I always ask lots and lots of questions in threads. So I don’t get hosed.

Anyway I just tried to order the 55” C8 from the same vendor on eBay, but I think I might’ve triggered a fraud detection thing or something because the order didn’t go through. I’ll have to talk to the bank and our card company tomorrow.

I also went ahead and started the return process on the 65”.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is the refresh rate on the 55” C8 any different from that of the 65”? The eBay product descriptions say the 55” is 120 Hz while the 65” is actual 4K. It also doesn’t say anything about the 55” having the ThinQ.

EDIT: BestBuy.com doesn’t seem to show a refresh rate difference between them.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 1, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

American McGay posted:

At this rate he'll keep cancelling and returning his TVs to buy a different configuration of TVs until the new models go on sale, all while renting a lovely TV for $50 a month.

What do you mean “at this rate”? I’ve only cancelled one order, and that was only to buy a smaller size of the same TV.

I’m only asking questions because I’m a super paranoid person (anxiety disorders suck rear end) and I want to make double sure the smaller TV is actually the same in all other ways. TVs can be big purchases and buyer’s remorse is a hell of a thing.

qbert posted:

The way the question was worded made it sound like he thought 4K was the refresh rate.

It’s true, I don’t know refresh words good :negative:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 1, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doesn’t Walmart strip parts out of their TVs to make them cheaper, to the point that some repair places won’t work on them?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EL BROMANCE posted:

No such thing as a perfect TV.

Don’t do this kind of testing, you’ll just drive yourself mad. Watch a selection of stuff that covers your spectrum and if anything jumps out, then sure maybe consider returning. Looking for problems will only being heartache.

This is exactly the sort of thing I would tend to do myself, so thank you for this post.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My TV is coming “on or before” May 16th gently caress THAT I WANT IT NOW NOW NOW NOOOOOOW

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My TV is not here yet and I have no idea where it is because the shitass shipping company my seller used doesn’t have a functional tracking system. Also they get mad if you ask them for an update because apparently that’s an unreasonable request in the year of our lord 2019.

where my TV at :shepface:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Has anybody itt ever dealt with AM Trucking before or know how to get them to give me a shipping update or an ETA?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Something Offal posted:

This is the most parody-seeming non-parody map I've seen. What does it even mean?

The Service Maps link is loving useless. It says “Click a state for terminal details” (what “terminal details” is supposed to tell me I have no loving idea), but when you click a state, nothing happens.

The Tracking link is equally useless. All it does is give you a date two weeks out that your poo poo is supposed to be delivered by, which tells you loving nothing at all. I have no idea where my package is right now, and none of the other buttons seem to do anything.

... actually I take that last part back. There’s an “Email Tracing Link” button that MIGHT tell me where my package is right this second, but according to that, my package was last in New York and it doesn’t say when the gently caress that was.

I’m thinking about leaving this eBay seller a bad review just because their choice of shipper is loving unacceptable. It’s 2019. My rear end should be pampered 24/7 with up-to-the-second shipping updates for my huge $1400 superTV.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Number_6 posted:

If you google consumer reviews on AM Trucking you'll find an impressive litany of "worst shipping company ever" complaints.

I hope you get your TV someday.

If I haven’t gotten the TV or a sufficient update on its whereabouts by Friday, I may just return it again and reorder it from this place instead.

https://www.abesofmaine.com/LG_Electronics_OLED55C8PUA_55-Inch_4K_Ultra_HD_Smart_OLED_TV_1037037.html

Same price as eBay, AND they have an express shipping option, which eBay doesn’t.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phera posted:

Newegg also has a sale on a bunch of the 2018 LG OLEDs this week if you or anyone else are interested.

55" C8 for $1299 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889007646

55" B8 for $1049 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAJKJ8JF8704

55" E8 for $1349 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAJKJ8J41164

65" B8 for $1699 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9KB8S06050&Description=lg%2065%20b8&cm_re=lg_65_b8-_-89-007-664-_-Product

65" C8 for $1849 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889007642

All pricematchable with Best Buy but the stores might not have any in stock still. They offered to order and deliver it for me but I just decided to go with Newegg.

Holy poo poo. :stare:

It’d require a 3-hour drive, but if I go the Best Buy price match route I could have both my new TVs at my house TODAY. I could totally swing that. I don’t have gently caress else going on today.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phera posted:

You may want to call ahead and make sure they have it in stock and that they'll price match. Newegg came up on their computers for them to price match for me but I'd hate for you to make a 3 hour drive for nothing.

BestBuy.com says Newegg is on their list of online companies they do price matching with, so I think I’m good.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Krime posted:

Read the fine print... It has to be on Newegg sold by Newegg (not a 3rd party) for them to actually price match.

I had a sweet Newegg price match lined up but Best Buy said no because it wasn't sold BY Newegg.

So yeah, I checked with Best Buy and this ended up being the case, BUT they still gave me a $400 discount on both TVs, which only ended up being about $100 more per TV than eBay’s price plus I have the TVs now and don’t have to deal with a lovely shipping company anymore. Also the warranties are a lot better. So it ended up being worth it imo.

C8 owns. Picture owns. Assembly was kind of a pain but everything else owns. Thanks to everyone in this thread for y’all’s help.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 7, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Trip Report: Die Hard looks really good on an LG UHD OLED TV

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

God the picture on this C8 is loving sexy

I love this TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

curried lamb of God posted:

I kinda feel like I'm wasting my E8 by watching old seasons of Always Sunny on Hulu

I’m watching Adult Swim on mine and it’s unbelievable. I didn’t know cartoon motion could look this smooth.