Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is oled really that good? In the market for my first 4k and for someone who only watches some YouTube, Netflix rarely and mainly uses it to play Switch/Steam link would I notice it? Been on a 1080 display for the past 5-6 years so I don’t know. Input lag is probably my biggest important factor. Found some decent $500 LG/Vizio lcd panels on rtings but I don’t think I have a Best Buy near me anymore to look in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Figured especially with how often the lg c9 comes up on gaming sites.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So I went to Best Buy anyways cause I don’t have friends with nice TVs. That OLED was incredible, got the LG CX arriving Wednesday. Anything I should enable/disable in the settings? I know I’ll install latest firmware and maybe do that calibration via Apple TV.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

KS posted:

The Apple TV calibration is disabled in Dolby vision mode. Rtings has a good settings guide.

Thanks I’ll do some reading there so I’m ready when it arrives.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

I finally have a PS5 on the way so I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on a 65" C1. Anything I should know going in? Never messed with an OLED or HDR TV before.

Similar boat here with the CX so just go to rtings they have a guide there for the recommended settings. Mine arrived today and it’s loving amazing, it’s like real life!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Soo maybe I spoke too soon cause I'm having an experience that's not so amazing. Has anyone here gotten nausea or headaches from their OLED TV and if so any suggestions to alleviate it? I remember going through this when I first got the iPhone XS but I kind of just forced myself to keep looking at it and it went away. Wondering if I need to do the same here. So far I've lowered the brightness, turned off all of that motion smoothing stuff and I don't think I notice a difference. I don't seem to get sick when playing Switch games though so I wonder what it is. Will plug in my PC for some Resident Evil 8 tomorrow and see if there's something going on with gaming vs TV.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

American McGay posted:

Picture settings might vary per input, so if you turned down the brightness and motion smoothing on your main input and then loaded up the Switch there's a chance everything got reset and you'll have to adjust it again for that input.

Thanks yeah I need to go back and save the settings. I’ll see what happens day two hopefully an improvement.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

Got my new LG C1 all hooked up to my new PS5. Man, RE8 looks fantastic in 4k HDR. I feel like I can see everything clear as day. Dark shadows, bright white areas, it doesn't matter.

The only scary part was putting the stand on the bottom. The instructions tell you to lay the TV flat on the ground screen side down and then lift one end to attach the stand. This TV is like three credit cards thick. I thought I was gonne snap it in two.

Yeah that part was definitely nerve wracking, not used to such a thin display myself. I used the styrofoam as a kind of cushion.

How are your eyes btw? Any strain or sickness? I’m about to return my CX for the Vizio M series because no matter what settings I change my brother and I get nauseous. RE8 looked incredible but felt horrible! Both pissed off and embarrassed.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

Nothing like that going on here. VR makes me mildly motion sick sometimes, but not this TV. Sorry about your rotten luck with it.

It’s all good, glad you’re enjoying yours at least.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Rusty posted:

I wall mounted my C1 by myself, which was scary, but I got it done. The wort part was part of the bracket got stuck and i was holding this thing up and losing my grip and could not move it while it was 4 feet off the ground. I somehow got it free though.

The person who has motion sickness, are you sure this wasn't just a low frame rate, and low field of view in a game that was causing this? I play games on this thing all the time and don't have any issues.

I had the nausea and eye strain even when the content was paused, just looking at the screen (though yeah not as bad as I did with RE8). Really I think I'm in that small minority who can't use this tech. Switching back to my old 1080p display everything was comfy again.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

BonoMan posted:

This is odd because it's not like the tech has any sort of... mechanical difference (say for instance the old moving DLP mirrors) that should be causing anything.

If it's literally just "a brighter crisper image is giving me a headache" then that is absolutely something that will go away soon. I mean the OLED and the old 1080P TV are both just serving static pixels to you (when you say you experience it on still content)... there should be relatively no difference.

I mean what you're saying makes sense but it just doesn't seem to be the case. If it was just me that'd be one thing but I live with my brother and he's just as affected as I am. Like I've lowered the OLED lighting, contrast, brightness, turned off motion poo poo and whatever else I can find and it still fucks me. There are other posts online from people experiencing it too and they never had any luck so I gave up.

McCracAttack posted:

Apologies if you tried this already, but did you make sure the black frame insertion feature is turned off? That can actually make the screen flicker a bit.

I forget what LG calls it in their TVs. Why do they always need special little names for these things?

On LG this is under TruMotion I believe which I have it all set to off. No dice :(

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Captain Yossarian posted:

Maybe an odd question/criteria, maybe not? Looking at a 55-60" tv to replace my (feels ancient) Hisense H8C. I'm looking at the H8G and Vizio mq7 (I can get the mq7 about $30 cheaper). Costco also has a 58" m6, but the specs are harder to find.

I game, but not with modern stuff. I normally play on a Mister FPGA or Super NT and very sporadically on a PS4 pro. The H8C just does NOT handle the Mister or Super NT well at all :(

I also have a Shield TV and a massive Plex library.

Can I please get a recommendation or goon opinions? Would like to keep it under $600, preferably from Best Buy because of free shipping..

My vizio m7 arrives tomorrow I’ll post with my opinions after I get it setup if that helps.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

That really helps thank you! The tv that works the best with my Mister right now is an ancient Vizio 1080p lol

And what do you know I’m currently using an ancient vizio 1080p right now! Praying this tv doesn’t burn my retina and brain like the lg oled did. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

That really helps thank you! The tv that works the best with my Mister right now is an ancient Vizio 1080p lol

So far so good. Apple TV looks great with the Dolby Vision, RE8 on my PC runs great and the Switch is alright too. I mean this doesn’t match the LG OLED but it still looks awesome and doesn’t give me the eye pinching feeling the OLED was doing. Haven’t tried the retropie yet but I imagine it will be fine. I think you’ll like the tv and I got it from Best Buy as well.