Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
https://www.costco.com/lg-65%22-cla....100761679.html

I've been eyeballing a 65" LG C1 for a while now and heavily contemplating it every time I visit my local store. But now I'm at a crossroads.

Online and in stores it's $1599 but says the price expires 7/4/2022. Knowing that the C1 is a discontinued product from LG and stores are trying to clear existing stock, do I get it now or see if the price goes down for some 4th of July sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Transporting an LG C1 flat screenside up in it's original box from the store to home (15-20 minute drive) shouldn't be a problem...should it? I know the ideal is upright but that's not happening in our vehicle. I'm concerned about how thin the TV is and possible screen flex

Edit: No longer necessary, Costco added the TV to it's online promo for a cash card.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 22, 2022

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Got my C1 65” today. This thing rules. I’m watching hockey and its blindingly bright, good lord.

Mine gets in next Saturday, could've done sooner (next Tuesday) but I didn't like the thought of it sitting outside my front door while I was at work, loving excited.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Qubee posted:

Realistically speaking, when can I expect the price to drop on Sony A80J model TVs? The A80K is out now, I was expecting a fair discount on 2021 A80Js but there has been nothing for almost a whole month.

Retail for the 65" is what, ~$2500? Just 3 days ago they were on sale for $1,429 on Amazon and 2 weeks ago $1,699 at Best Buy.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Fremry posted:

Just a head’s up, if I recall correctly, Sony buys their OLED panels from LG.

Yep. Once the C1 is calibrated I'm pretty sure the TV's are nearly identical

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c1-oled-vs-sony-a80j-oled/21421/21563?usage=1&threshold=0.10

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Hah, I sure did go for Costco! Not just for the extra warranty (and their great customer service), but for an extra $19.99 they'll unbox it and set it up for me. I mean, I know how to plug in a TV, but for $20 I'll let them be the ones to worry about dropping it or grabbing it in the wrong place and damaging the screen.

Thanks for the moral support, guys!

For you and everyone else that got it through Costco, don't forget to do the Costco promo for $100 credit towards Google Play, Paramount+, Showtime, Sling TV, or Xbox

https://www.lg-promos.com/tvoffer

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Thanks for this, I 100% forgot.

For the normal goon, “Xbox streaming credit” is just 10x:10bux: Xbox store credit for whatever.

No problem. If your TV has been set up in such a way that you can't get to your serial number easily (like mine), hit the Mute button on the remote a bunch (I think it's 5 times?) to bring up a menu to see the serial number and disable the LG logo when powering off if you want

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Qubee posted:

poo poo, I didn't think things through properly. A 65" in the store seems so small, but I've just measured it where I want it on the wall and what the gently caress. It's a chonker. I'm currently trying to tetris my living room to make things fit, no clue if it's gonna work lol

Yeah we upgraded from a 55" 1080p Samsung that was over 10 years old to a 65" LG C1 and in store 55 v 65 seemed like nothing. I wanted to go bigger but our living room TV sets inside built in shelves which limited our size and the C1 was actually one of the few 65" TVs that would fit (It's 33.9" with the stand and the shelf is something like ~34.5" tall.

Before and after (god those loving bezels, before shot was also before we installed blinds in our sunroom)

The cats never really cared about birds on TV before the OLED strangely

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

So am I understanding this correctly? OLED TVs have the best picture quality but have a high risk of burn if I leave too many video games paused for too long?

It's not just pausing, it's static elements. So you game may be moving around but things like the crosshair or UI/HUD elements can be burned in. It's definitely more prevalent when using as a PC monitor, mixed usage between gaming and media viewing shouldn't cause as much burn in.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

If you're a Costco member and have been holding out for the LG C1 to get cheaper (somehow) or have been on the fence...my Costco just ran out of stock for the 65" C1 just after I got mine.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

65” C1’s are also up $100-$200 at most retailers today.

They are $1599 at Costco until 7/17, and you can order them free ship.

Yep, Best Buy is up $100. Definitely the tail end of supply. The G1 is only $100 more now

LG - 65" Class G1 Series OLED evo 4K - $1799

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 12, 2022

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm sorely tempted by the Costco LG 65" C1 deal, but I'm also surprisingly content with my lovely refurb Samsung 44" LED from 2014 from when that was the best I could afford. I guess it's to my benefit to have abysmally low standards, but I get the intense pang to upgrade and splurge at least twice a year, thus far with no ultimate purchase.

In store you may be able to get it cheaper at Costco now. Online it was $1599 before it went out of stock but in warehouse (atleast at mine) it's $1449 with the 1 year mfg, 1 year Costco, and 3 year Allstate warranty. The * on any pricing means it will not be restocked for those that don't know.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Watching Fellowship of the Ring in 4K Dolby Vision is eye opening. I'm seeing details in set design and costuming that I never really paid attention to after 100s of viewings over the last 2 decades.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Phenotype posted:

What up 77" C1 buddies! My entertainment center is big enough for the TV, but from reading it looks like yeah, the TV's stand is so low that a soundbar can't go in front without blocking stuff. I bought this silly thing to go underneath the TV -- seems to be long enough for the stand, just about deep enough, and elevates it 2 inches so the soundbar won't be in the way of anything.

TV shows up on Friday, so we'll see how well it works!

Having the exact same issue with mine except that I can only move the TV roughly half an inch up before it hits the shelf. Probably just going to cut a piece of plywood to the same width and depth as the stand and the soundbar will be just below the screen and covering the edge of the plywood.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"Who wants to help me move my nearly 3000 pound TV? Dammit I knew I should've gotten the 103" model, it's only 1 ton"

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

fyallm posted:

I am noticing a faded outline of a person on my lg g2 whenever im watcihng spectrum tv and there is like green grass. Its in the middle of the screen. Anyone ever heard of this before? Tried to google and came up with nothing.

I think it might be the spectrum signal because when i go to like youtube and put on golf or something i dont see it

Sounds 100% like the Spectrum TV app if it's not showing up in other apps/sources. Highly doubt it's burn in on a TV that's what...the G2 came out this spring so like 4 or 5 months?

Try running this and see if you see anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR-__suycVQ

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

fyallm posted:

Just ran this and didn't see the image. What is weird is it isn't the actual spectrum TV app, but I am using the actual spectrum cable box.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable from the box to the TV?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

KillHour posted:

I use moonlight with my Sony TV and it works pretty well, even at 4k. Steam Link likes to have big latency spikes and disconnections for some reason.

Same here. I have both on my Shield/PC and due to our setup, we don't (yet) have an ethernet line running between the router and Shield. Over a 5GHz connection that's going through only 1 wall, which no device drops signal strength or loses connection (the Shield itself included), Steam Link will routinely just drop connection.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

How feasible is mounting a TV on a brick wall and any thread suggested mounts? Only ever mounted into studs and we have a guest room with exposed brick wall that we're going to mount our old 55" on that weighs ~50lbs. Just need something basic with some tilt to it, no crazy arms or extending.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Any regular mount will work you just need masonry screws\anchors

Installing the mount tonight but is it just me or are people basically split between drilling into mortar or brick, with both sides saying you should never do the opposite?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Have OLED companies fixed the autodimming stuff yet or do you need to go into service menus as per this video still?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qXj-vpX5Q

I haven't noticed any autodimming on my C1 but it's only had about 300 hours of usage so far

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah the A1 is the definition of a bedroom/guest bath TV.

My guest bedrooms get whatever hand me down TV filters to them. Shout out to the 40 inch from the Bush administration hanging out in the least used room with a roku stick in it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

We normally only watch TV at night and on weekends we follow the thread title rule and close our blinds. The C1 gets bright enough in HDR where scenes in LOTR offend the eye and cause a physical reaction in a non light controlled room.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Palladium posted:

so i bought a LG OLED C2 55" but i dont have money for blinds/drapes

Tape aluminum foil over all your windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

MikusR posted:

Put it on a table/stand in front of fireplace. So you can move it in an emergency.

Get an A/V cart from a local school for even easier moving