Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Really hope the news of the high 65" yields on OLED pushes the price down again next year, I'll be in the market to buy everything from scratch as I'm leaving my beloved Panasonic G20 plasma here. Feels like I need to jump up in size (from 50") and tech, but at $7k right now for that LG it's just too much.

Are people talking about soundbars more because they're being forced into a smaller solution (due to space/not destroying their marriage) or because they've jumped up in quality? While I doubt I'll keep a 5.1 system in the new place, I'd quite like to have an amp capable of it for the future and a 2.0 setup with either bookshelves or floor standers still. But if they're capable of comparable sound, maybe I should skip the amp stage too.

Also I see Vizio getting brought up multiple times a page, we don't have them here so I've never seen one of their sets. Am I right in thinking that a comparable manufacturer maybe someone like Yamaha (who I find always put out great quality gear for the price range). If I'm used to a late Panasonic plasma, do they produce something I'm not going to see as a downgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like I'd probably be happier with a separates system like I have now then, thanks. While surround sound itself may not be doable (and I'm not sure I care that much), I do like a full range of sound that just needs decent sized speakers. Guess it's gonna come down to how much space I have to play with in the new place! Cheers

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've not even seen one in the flesh and know I need it in my life. I should swing by the TV department of my local high end place and see if they have one in. UK price will be even more ridiculous I'm sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

General E posted:

I'm replacing a 50" 720p Panasonic plasma, so I wonder if these ratings websites are seeing "problems" that I won't even notice because the TV will be such an upgrade.

I hear you buddy. I'm moving transatlantic next year so I have to part ways with my Panasonic 50" G20 I paid about $1600 for about 4 1/2 years ago. The only things about it I don't love are the fact it's the last model before bezel sizes stopped being thick and ugly, and the floating blacks issue which I've gotten used to. I bought it for the 24p nature and bought the right bluray player to match. It's done me proud.

I'm really hoping those OLED price crashes sink even further. I'll probably only get about $400 for my TV to put towards it so its gonna have to come out of pocket, and that 65" LG is screaming to be owned. Maybe if it comes down to $2,5k in the next year...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'll be in the same boat next year, and also want that LG OLED. I'm struggling to find reason to justify 4K at that size and the way it's being supported.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm going from a Panny plasma, and OLED is the only upgrade that I can see.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

goferchan posted:

Anything 1080p will be a significant upgrade

Depending on what he uses the TV for, and his viewing distance.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

I don't want to go into a full-on rant but resolution-chart.png is and always has been bullshit, it's trivially easy to tell the difference between 720, 1080 and even 4k at 10 foot+ distances depending on the images on the screen. Whether or not it's worth the difference to any one individual is a separate issue.

Sure I know the chart, but I've also got a 50" Panasonic plasma at about 8ft, and perfectly fine vision according to my optician and I'm not convinced I could pass a double blind test convincingly every time between 720p and 1080p in full motion. Anecdotal evidence sure, but that's what I was going on rather than doing a lookup on the chart. So I agree, individual use.

Also I didn't know the 2008 series has the shameful resolution, I wrongly presumed it was 1:1 1280x720. Sorry, on phone so can't multi quote. That definitely changes the case imo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Doesn't look like it looking at the labelling of the back and side panels. I guess you can run the line out into a little headphone amp or something though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That doesn't really make sense... Australia is 50hz and Canada is 60hz. It seems an awfully odd combo to pair together given the differences between electricity/broadcast systems. Are the tuner types even the same? I'm guessing Canada uses ATSC like the US does.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qirex posted:

Does HDTV in PAL regions run at 25/50 or did that switch to 30/60? I'd imagine the systems they use have every video standard built in now and the only real regional difference is what's turned on by default and cosmetic changes [meaning extra Us in the UI and maybe French moved up the language list to second position] plus no warrantee support.

Yeah as Don says, they still run in the old framerate in PAL countries rather than jumping to 60hz. There's possibly a good reason behind it, but I think it's probably down to systems having to be set between technological jumps and sticking to 50 made sense at the time. It's a bit lovely that 1080/60 isn't the worldwide standard, but why make it easy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They got so close when they agreed on standard resolutions, and the fact that every TV here that isn't garbage tier has been able to deal with a 60hz signal since the 90s. They could've freed us. They could've freed us all from the pointless tyranny of 50hz!

Doesn't really affect me, although it does amuse my that the few times I watch broadcast that I'm suffering as 50hz was an afterthought for the Panasonic plasmas it seems, as it doesn't handle the footage as well as 24p or 60hz.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Completely unrelated, but your post reminded me when I was TV shopping with my parents in the late 90s, and a shop had a display model TV that was so badly damaged you could see the insides (a CRT, naturally). I think they said they'd knock £50 ($80 or so) off for that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there no equivalent to the consume law protection we get in the EU? It's not widely known, but we get 6 years cover on anything that should be expected to last that long although it can be a fight. I know California specifically has some awesome consumer laws when it comes to vintage hardware but it's a shame it has to go down to state level for that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sellouts posted:

No, it means that the best 1080p picture will be on a 4k set.

Yup, same happened with the Panasonic plasmas - the VT range had the selling point of being 3D panels, but the 2D picture beat everything below it too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have to move in to my parents place for a few months before I emigrate. Given how much stuff I have to move, I think I'm going to be a good friend and trade someone my 50" plasma for their ~32" LCD. It's like giving up a child because it's just too awkward to take them with you, but wanting a smaller child that suits your needs better in the meantime.

Then getting the biggest and best child you can find when you move. This analogy is not working.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SlayVus posted:

The 1080p House of Cards blu-ray has better bit-rate than the Netflix 4k stream.

Apple 1080p downloads still look worse than their 720p ones. Streaming sucks for anything other than convenience, lets be honest here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sometimes it depends on what audio format the source is in, but a good receiver will have a 'late night' option to compress the audio a bit.

I ran 5.0 in my apartment for years and nobody ever banged on my door or complained through the front desk or anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex server with whatever cheap clients you want (rokus or whatever) attached to each tv? Easier to have a library that can poo poo out whatever you want to wherever you want, whenever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Essentially, it doesn't have to be any specific kind of computer - as long as it meets the requirements for Plex Media Server it'll be fine. Mines just a core2duo machine with a bunch of hard disks hanging off it to store media, but a more powerful machine can transcode multiple streams at once if people want to watch different things in different rooms (or even outside the house)

There's a Plex thread here that's generally pretty good at answering specific questions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Segmentation Fault posted:

I would like to buy an HDTV, but not a smart TV since that's a feature I have no desire for and can easily be supplemented by a $35 Chromecast. How do I go about looking for not-Smart TVs?

tyrelhill posted:

Basically looking for a good 50''-65'' non-smart (no bullshit accessories) TV for gaming.

Jayo posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a TV between 38" and 42". Will be used for gaming, blurays, and netflix with an emphasis on gaming. Not concerned with smart features.

ChubbyPitbull posted:

I'm not really interested in SmartTV features but it seems like they're kind of unavoidable

TopherCStone posted:

e: Oh, and I'd like to avoid half-baked smart TV features as much as possible. I just want a dumb TV that I can plug my poo poo into.

Feels the thread title really needs to reflect that if you want a good display, you want a smart TV whether you think you do or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you're in the UK, go to John Lewis if you have one near you and they have the curved sets on display. I wasn't sure if I'd like them or not, but I found the LG curve to be perfectly fine personally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

32" and 720p at normal viewing distances sound fine to me. Especially if you're watching broadcast mostly.

E: my only concern is that I bet $1 that it's not natively 720p and its scaling to some awkward resolution internally. Usually something like 1356x768 or similar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dynamic and vivid are both 'display room' modes where the TV is competing with a stack of others in a big room with lighting nothing like your own home.

Tune it using a calibration disc or choose Professional or Expert or whatever sounds closest at the least and tweak from there. You'll think 'this looks muddy and lifeless as poo poo' to start with but your eyes will adjust and you'll have a much more natural picture.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haven't heard of the brand myself, but it's good to see there the usual quality of Amazon reviewing shining through...

quote:

I love that it is HD!

I don't think it's possible to glean any level of quality from anything written on that page.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Slowhanded posted:

Go get a copy of Skyfall on BD. The Shanghai scene is absolutely jawdropping on an OLED.

And the best thing about getting a new and awesome tv is you can sit through utter dross and still enjoy yourself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New models and pricing are announced at CES, yeah? I'm in the market next year too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People kept spouting that for years when virtually any player could rival or best it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As much as I love(d) the Dreamcast, it's display output is a sign of the times. I've got the RF, the SCART, and the VGA box. They're all poo poo and don't work like you really want them to. The SCART suffers from really bad shift on loads of TVs, the RF is RF, and the VGA box is incompatible with a ton of titles.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't remember off hand the exact ones, but there is a list. I think it might affect PAL more than NTSC? I can't remember. The last time I put out a DC, I either put up with the VGA box and restricting the games, or just said "gently caress IT" and made people suffer with RF.

Despite the annoyance that HDCP provides people (I'm lucky in the fact it's never got in my way), HDMI is a glorious connector that only irritates if you try to put it in the wrong way around.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 6, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What was the 65 OLED price announced last year? They get quite a drop before retail usually, yeah? Otherwise that doesn't really seem the drop that people were hoping for.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the infos, I'm going to read the poo poo out of all these models and count some pennies for ~6 months time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's been the standard operating procedure for Sony since the beginning of time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bitrate plays a big part of it, and 4K footage streamed online doesn't even come close to 1080p footage on a Blu-Ray.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I asked my friends recently about the Sony rear projection HDTV I sold them 5 years ago (after owning it for about 4 years myself), and they said it was still going strong. Hasn't even had it's bulb changed (and it was a shop floor model too). Sadly it suffered from some burn on one of the chips which discoloured the top inch or two of the screen which was enough for me to part with it, but it's not something that bothers everyone, and it's unnoticeable on anything with a wider aspect than 1.85:1. The CRT I just dumped from my parents house I've had for close to 20 years.

People always replace old stuff with new then say they don't last like they used to, except... they do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

Has some light bleed, but otherwise works fine.

Enough about the cat, did the TV survive?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

gurney posted:

I'm curious about something. A lot of TV's are rated as having a 120hz refresh rate (per rtings.com). This may sound stupid but that does mean they can take a 120hz source as input right? If not then what's the point of the 120hz refresh rate? I'm hearing (maybe in this thread?) that only the Vizio P series can take a 120hz source as input and reflect that on the screen. :confused:

120 is used as the refresh because it's a magical number that is divisible by 24, 30, 60 etc so it doesn't matter what standard input framerate you put in, it'll still scale nicely. In Europe we'd see a fair amount of panels that would boast 600hz refresh, simply because this adds 25 and 50 to the mix as well, which is kinda important over here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I notice Best Buy have the 9500 and 9600 LG 65" screen at the same price (and with the same mark down from RRP). Is this usual to be selling them both side by side with very little to show they're different models other than scouring for the model number? Or am I missing something and the two models are equivalents? Seems a bit skeezy, maybe that's to be expected from big box stores hoping people don't know better? (It's this, isn't it).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah my bad I thought there were legit differences between them other than the curved nature. Apologies to the thread and to Best Buy for besmirching their good name (given that's probably where my next set is coming from due to Amazon horror stories it's probably for the best they're more trustworthy than I initially thought).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah shipping problems and damage get brought up a lot.

Over here they once sent me a hard disk in one of those flimsy things they use for books. It didn't even survive 24 hours. You'd think the biggest shop on the planet would've nailed protective shipping by now.