Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Tiglath III posted:

Who uses putty as a filler?
In the process of restoring the stonework at Bedlam Theatre (the one at the bottom of George IV bridge) the workers discovered that an entire block had fallen out sometime in the distant past, and someone had just filled the gap up with polyfilla.

People be lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Tiglath III posted:

Who uses putty as a filler?

Probably the same kind of people who've used white silicon sealant as filler in the wood archetraving framing my doors in my flat. Currently stripping them of white gloss paint, and swearing profusely over and over again at the clowns who flipped this flat for sale.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Jeherrin posted:

Probably the same kind of people who've used white silicon sealant as filler in the wood archetraving framing my doors in my flat. Currently stripping them of white gloss paint, and swearing profusely over and over again at the clowns who flipped this flat for sale.

I feel your pain, there have been so many bodges that have produced such sweary words here too. The satisfaction of fixing it properly will be a nice pay off.

Cheers

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

coffeetable posted:

In the process of restoring the stonework at Bedlam Theatre (the one at the bottom of George IV bridge) the workers discovered that an entire block had fallen out sometime in the distant past, and someone had just filled the gap up with polyfilla.

People be lazy.

That does not surprise me in the slightest with what i know about that place.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Firstly, let me apologize for the lack of updates. I've not been sitting idle nor have I run out of steam on this huge project.
It's just that events have taken a somewhat different avenue from where I had been heading.

On the 1st of December 2013 this little guy entered my life and has changed it immeasurably. I'd like you to meet my son Jackson.

At 40 I hadn't thought that I would ever be a dad nor had I contemplated what that meant. Now things are different and jeez I love this litle guy to bits (as long as he stays away from my motorcycles). I've a few photos to upload and a bit more of an update but i'll leave it till the new year when mum and baby are settled into a routine and I can get near the PC.

Cheers folks

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
Oh wow, Tiglath! I check my user CP everytime I log in hoping you've posted something beautiful again but you've outdone yourself this time! Many, many congratulations. Well worth waiting for the update.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Looks like you're done with your renovations!

Seriously though, the house looks great and kids are the best. Keep it up!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Big congrats Tiglath, kids are awesome!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Congratulations on the kid.
Lucky little guy is going to have a great place to grow up (assuming you end up staying there)

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Update time. It's been a while, only getting back to the renovation now as time was a little limited. So now, as the little monster in the previous post has started to develop, it's almost time to get a room sorted for him. The ideal choice is the front bedroom (the one with the sink/washbasin in it) So last weekend I started to remove the tiling and numerous layers of wallpaper. It did look like this.

Now it looks like this. Not much left to do to the ceiling and then the fun can begin. I have a bit of plastering to do and some cracks to fix then i can start first coats of paint.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I was just wondering how things were going in the House O'Tiglath, especially with the new child and all. The room looks better already, that carpet is an atrocity.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm always glad to see this thread pop up in my bookmarks! I don't envy you that ceiling though.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Things have been going quite well, Little Jackson has had a couple of little issues but is getting along great. At only 14 weeks its amazing how quickly he is developing. I love him to bits, I just hope he grows up to like motorcycles and Star Wars because he already has quite a little collection of things for his room.

Not only the carpet that was an atrocity, check these babies out. Finest quality 80's tiles. For a bit of history for the Brits on the forum, these came from a DIY shop that very few folk remember. We currently have three big players in DIY. B&Q, Homebase and Wickes. Sainsburys/Homebase bought over a company called Texas Homecare in 1995, Texas had been on the go since 1972. Prior to Texas was a company called Big Yukon, these tiles were bought from that shop. I know this because there are two sealed packs of these god awful bloody tiles in the garage. The price at the time was £1.99 for a pack of 10. Quality.

They were surrounding the wash basin in the room, all gone now though thank goodness. Bit of re-plastering and all will be well. The basin is coming out as there will be no need for it in the room. Will probably sell it along with another vintage basin from another room. Ignore the rather large crack in the plaster on that wall, it should be easy to stabilise and repair.

The ceiling doesn't look so bad now that I've removed all the tile glue and lining paper, the plaster hasn't blown surprisingly and as you can see, the cracks have had an attempted fix in the past. What I'm planning is to scrim-tape over the cracks, score the existing plaster and then skim coat over whats there. It should end up looking reasonable enough.

Testro
May 2, 2009
Those tiles were a blast from the past - when I moved with my parents in the early 90s, our new house had those in the bathroom. (They were ripped out and replaced shortly after.)

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

Testro posted:

Those tiles were a blast from the past - when I moved with my parents in the early 90s, our new house had those in the bathroom. (They were ripped out and replaced shortly after.)

My parents house also had these, I'm trying to remember where but I think it was the bathroom, too!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Super cute kid dude! :)

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Had a week off last week which was nice. Got to spend time with Jackson, which was awesome and also got some more of the tons of junk away. The scene was very reminiscent of when we moved in and were clearing the driveway, this is a few bits and pieces from the back of the garden.

Theres still a whole lot more to clear but the pile is much smaller. This was the mid point of dumpster one.

It all came from here.

This is what it used to look like.

this is what the garden looked like on Saturday, By the time I was done it was getting dark so no more photos, I will post up some tomorrow as there is quite a contrast.

Onward and upwards till its finished, these popped up in the garden to show there is some life.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A part of me really hurts seeing so much distressed scrap wood being thrown away.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Had a week off last week which was nice. Got to spend time with Jackson, which was awesome and also got some more of the tons of junk away. The scene was very reminiscent of when we moved in and were clearing the driveway, this is a few bits and pieces from the back of the garden.

Theres still a whole lot more to clear but the pile is much smaller. This was the mid point of dumpster one.

It all came from here.

This is what it used to look like.

this is what the garden looked like on Saturday, By the time I was done it was getting dark so no more photos, I will post up some tomorrow as there is quite a contrast.

Onward and upwards till its finished, these popped up in the garden to show there is some life.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Paging Tiglath III

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
I got home today to find this..... someone has stolen my internal walls.

Phase 1 of bathroom renovation commences, my builder showed up today and got stuck in to removing the old construction.
Lots of dust and lots of wood. We had decided on suspended ceiling in the bathroom, but when talking the walls out, the ceiling plaster fell out in a sheet, its pretty dry and needs replacing. Looks like its going to be a nice big bathroom.

We have a roll-top bath and a modern shower enclosure going in so a bit of a mix, can't wait to see progress.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

What is the iron piping between the two toilets? A radiator?

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

AFewBricksShy posted:

What is the iron piping between the two toilets? A radiator?

It honestly looks like it's just some kind of railing to me, but I know nothing.

Love the thread by the way, I've been following this since you started!

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
The railing is a heated towel rail, it was hard up against the bathroom wall that divided the two toilets, it took 45 minutes to find out that it was still connected to the mains somehow and was still under pressure despite no hot water entering it. There's still a pipe that is causing issues and one knows what it's feeding, but it is still live and has pressure. Maybe find out tomorrow what its for. It's the loop at the far left of the photo.

The big wooden box (far right) is the old cold water storage tank, it came down today and apparently weighed a fair bit. The rest of the studs also came down today, so did the rest of the ceiling. We had a play around with the positions of the cabinets and the bath so hopefully in the end it will look good. The only weird thing is that small window, wishing we had not gotten it put in, but it might look better when the room is completed.

One thing to note in the photo , although it is hard to see is the depth of the roof beams, the builder was taken aback by them as they are at least 12" deep, that's a lot of wood spanning a large flat area, I could probably redo the roof and put a pitched structure up on top, might reduce the insurance premiums a bit :) There's also an RSJ running along the base of the wall to the far right, it seems that the architect who did this in 1936 over engineered it somewhat.

The architect in question, married the daughter of the first owner, Ms McWalter. He also designed and built this property.
http://www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk/the-rink

I also forgot to mention in one of my earlier posts, something that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Whilst clearing all the wood and debris from behind the outbuildings, I uncovered the initials of all of the McWalter sons carved into separate bricks on the back wall. It is a nice touch and a little more history of the house. The Kennedy sons have their names etched on the back wall of the house and I think I might encourage Jackson to carve his initials added to the property when he's old enough(and responsible enough to do it just the once). I'm fascinated by the original owners and would like to know more of their story. I have a few documents that I have downloaded from the census and all the old title deeds from 1851 onwards,but it would be nice to know more about the McWalters as people. Hopefully I can scan some of this material for you all to see.

Tiglath III fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 23, 2014

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Please keep the side by side toilets.

E: Do that vvvv

TheMightyHandful fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 26, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
No, replace the toilet with a love toilet:

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
Into week two of the Bathroom remodel, things started great and have been going well. A couple of minor hiccups with the positions of the various hardware (our issue) has been sorted out and we now have this.

There was a small issue with a little bit of dry rot, caused by sponge? being packed into the wall at the head of the bath, probably to stop the old shower from leaking behind and into the wall. The electrics have all been rerouted, old pipework removed and new stuff installed.
On Monday the walls should be ready for paint, the new hardwood floor can go down and the hardware can finally go in. Then it's just finishing touches. I need a shower :)

On a side note, I thought that the smaller window would look weird in the much larger room (roughly 12'x12') as it takes up a valuable bit of wall space. Looking at it now, I think it's a nice feature as the end of the roll-top bath will be positioned below it.

Let me know what you think, more photos will follow.

Cheers

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
The new and improved bathroom for your viewing pleasure. I think it turned out very nice indeed.

and from the opposite side

Since the Bathroom is done I have gotten back to the front bedroom as I really need to get aa shuffle on.
All the tiles gone, wall plastered, cracks gone, and an undercoat of paint. Looking not too bad so far.

Cheers

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Tiglath III posted:

The new and improved bathroom for your viewing pleasure. I think it turned out very nice indeed.

If it wasn't for the funny little window I would refuse to believe this was actually the same house.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously what a great job!

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
I preferred the old bathroom and the double toilets.

Really, your new bathroom is absolutely stunning. If this an example of your taste I can't wait to see what you do next. It's hard to believe that is the same collection of rooms.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:drat: I thought I clicked onto a different tab for an interior decorator's website or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tilgath is a wizard obviously.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Not trying to be a downer, but is it the lens or is that shower really tiny compared to the size of the room?
Double size shower stalls are awesome.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

~Coxy posted:

Not trying to be a downer, but is it the lens or is that shower really tiny compared to the size of the room?

Yea that would be the only complaint I'd have as well, but really who gives a poo poo? It looks awesome and if you're happy that's all that matters. Excellent job!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Well, now I'm absolutely embarrassed by the state of my bathroom. Thank you.

(It looks amazing and you should be so proud!)

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Not a downer at all.:) The shower is 900mmx900mm base and if I recall it's 1200m at the curvy bit, so its still a reasonable size. The lens does make it look really small (10mm lens). We did look at a bigger shower, but were limited because of the window positions. We could get any length but were restricted to 900mm deep.

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully a bit more progress on the bedroom this week.

Cheers

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Is that a radiator/towel warmer I see? I'm going to sneak into your house at night and steal your bathroom.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Hardwood floors in a bathroom? Are they gonna stand up to humidity/spills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

iv46vi posted:

Hardwood floors in a bathroom? Are they gonna stand up to humidity/spills?

They look either to be high quality plastic wood-look, or really thoroughly urethane sealed wood. Should be fine if that's the case.

• Locked thread