Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

quote:

The characters, starships, and situations of the original Star Wars trilogy come to life in Star Wars: The Card Game, a head-to-head Living Card Game of tactical combat and strategic planning that allows two players to wage cinematic combats between the light and dark sides of the Force. Command such legendary characters as Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Leia Organa, Boba Fett, and Darth Vader. Launch strategic assaults against your opponent’s objectives. Tempt fate in thrilling edge battles. Seek to make an ally of the Force or master its power for your own purposes.

:wookie:
2-player game
60 minutes suggested play time
10yrs+

:siren: Release date on Amazon of December 30th, 2012 :siren:
You can pre-order it here: http://amzn.to/V4EZ0Y

The Star Wars: The Card Game Core Set contains everything two players need to begin battling for the fate of the galaxy: 240 Cards (117 light side, 117 dark side, and 6 Force cards), 1 Death Star dial, nearly 100 tokens, and a rulebook.

It is another Fantasy Flight Star Wars game! http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=175

I could tell you how the game is played out or you could watch the 22 minute, British voiced, badass overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9dWPwoUQ-Y

e: seriously watch the loving video.

Fantasy Flight really outdid themselves with the card's artwork. Really some of the most incredibly well done card-game art I've seen:

The basics:

Dark side players want to get the cool little Death Star ticker to 12!

Light side players are trying to destroy 3 of the Dark side player's objective cards (similar to A Hero's Journey in the above example of great artwork).

You use focus tokens to "tap" your creatures. Each turn has different phases and you get to remove focus tokens, yadda yadda. This is all covered in the video above.

BUT! Fantasy Flight wants your money so you don't have to choose just Jedi or Sith. There are a lot of different factions that play out in the game!

Imperial Navy: The Empire established command of the galaxy through the strength of its massive fleet. The Imperial Navy faction excels at spreading out across the galaxy with capital ships, starfighters, troopers, and visionary leaders such as Grand Moff Tarkin.

Sith: Drawing upon the tremendous power of the dark side of the Force, the Sith rule the galaxy through fear. Led by Emperor Palpatine and the dark lord, Darth Vader, the Sith aim to crush their opponents’ throats and ambitions.

Rebel scum Alliance: Borne upon the wings of starfighters and the backs of Rebel troopers, the spark of freedom still flickers throughout the galaxy. Leia Organa, Admiral Ackbar, and other leaders of the Rebel Alliance call upon their pilots and soldiers to make quick, tactical strikes against the Empire.

Jedi: The fire of these adherents to the Old Ways has not completely extinguished. Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Yoda, and others ally themselves with the light side of the Force. They make good use of their training, their Jedi mind tricks, and their finely-crafted lightsabers.

Much as the different affiliations work toward a common cause in the original films, they can join together in Star Wars: The Card Game to rule or save the galaxy. Players who take advantage of the game’s deck-building options can mix affiliations from the same side of the Force. Additionally, the Core Set will grant players their first taste of two other affiliations to be further developed in expansions to come.

Smugglers and Spies: This affiliation features the light side’s heroic rogues and scoundrels, typified by Han Solo. They’re tricksters and fighters who make good use of their quick minds and quick reflexes.

Scum and Villains: Money can’t solve every problem, but it can buy a lot of answers. With a cast of unscrupulous characters like Boba Fett, a host of enhancements, and tricky tactics, this affiliation more than proves it’s worth every credit.

Now go be a Rancor an swat and X-Wing out of the sky!

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I little bit of help from Bosushi!:

Bosushi! posted:

I'm not sure exactly how useful this is, but I got incredibly bored and made a spreadsheet of values by objective set. Things like, total cost of cards within the objective set, number of units etc. I probably could've gotten more in depth with it, but I didn't really feel like splitting up the strike values in edge/non-edge dependent. I also lumped objective enhancements in with "Enhance Play Area" and I didn't discern between regular and vehicle unit enhancements.

I got the idea to do this when I decided to build a deck that would revolve around holding the balance of the force, and I figured it'd be nice to know the total Force values that units had in each objective. You'll still need to dig deeper into an objective set and read the text of the cards to actually know what your getting, but this should give you a high level view of your deck's values and card distribution once you filter for your objectives.

Star Wars LCG - Objective Spread

Expansions:

later

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 9, 2013

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Red Robin Hood posted:

I could tell you how the game is played out or you could watch the 22 minute, British voiced, badass overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9dWPwoUQ-Y

This needs more love. That's a fantastic video.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Alberta Cross posted:

This needs more love. That's a fantastic video.

I don't know what other games FF has made videos for (other than SW miniatures) but they are really, really well done. I kind of felt bad making an OP with such low-content but then I thought "if this post serves only as a gateway to the beautiful video, I have done something incredible."

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Its a good start, FFG does those videos for almost everything now, all of their LCGs, the android cardgame (Infiltration?) as well as a few of their newer boardgames. FFG is probably one of my favorite trad games companies right now, even if their rules could use some more time in the oven before release!

I have two copies of the core set for SWTCG on hold for me right now waiting on my next order. Looking forward to it.

e: yeah go here http://www.youtube.com/user/FantasyFlightStudio and on the right side you can see their playlists, it has one for each of the games that they have vids for.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Red Robin Hood posted:

Release date on Amazon of December 30th, 2012
You can pre-order it here: http://amzn.to/V4EZ0Y

:siren::siren:Available NOW @ CSI https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/165442 :siren::siren:

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I have 2 cores plus The Desolation of Hoth preordered at my LGS. I really can't wait for this, been a long wait.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Mine is shipping today! :D

I got to look through a set a dude brought back from world's. Ewok Scouts will kill us all.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Anyone know what size sleeves fit these cards?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So 2 things, first of all, this game is on OCTGN so feel free to play there!

Second, I'm starting to suspect the gamebalance is broken as is. Rebels have a bunch of combos that, when combined, are just ridiculously strong. My Rebels deck has not lost a single game, and I've played about 15+ with them now. It's also really frustrating to play against.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Casyl posted:

Anyone know what size sleeves fit these cards?

The website lists it as FFG blue gray sleeves, which fit standard cards.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 19, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I actually really like the FFG brand sleeves, they are suitably durable and I haven't had any problems with them, the mini ones (Yellow) are a bitch to put those tiny cards into though.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
So if Rebels are overpowered does that mean the title should be "an X-wing swatting a Rancor out of the sky."?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I think its probably a little early to be worried about things being OP, it could just be the composition of the base set, and it could be that the two ides play so differently that people need to grasp how to win as the dark side, delay tactics seem to be the name of the game, get that Deathstar counter up.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
This game looks really good.

All of FFGs Star Wars games look really good.

I really hope Disney doesn't mess it up and all three games can have a nice, long life.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?
I know nothing about this game, but if it is anything like the Star Wars CCG, I will buy the poo poo out of it.

Ok let's be honest, I am going to buy the poo poo out it anyways cause it's Star Wars :smith:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

stoko posted:

I know nothing about this game, but if it is anything like the Star Wars CCG, I will buy the poo poo out of it.

Ok let's be honest, I am going to buy the poo poo out it anyways cause it's Star Wars :smith:

Don't worry, I feel like this too! Luckily this looks like a good Star Wars game! :downs:

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
How many core boxes do i need for playsets of all the cards?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

WerrWaaa posted:

How many core boxes do i need for playsets of all the cards?

According to this thread on BGG, the answer is two.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/900544/how-many-core-sets-will-i-need-for-total-customisa

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Ok, played tonight, freakin' love it. Interrogation droids... never force them, dump hand to win battles, stop all strikes forever. Who's your daddy? Darth Vader is your daddy.

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 20, 2012

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe I'm just a noob or something (I'm a little new to board/LCG gaming) but how are you assholes playing this game already? I thought the darn thing didn't release until the 30th.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe I'm just a noob or something (I'm a little new to board/LCG gaming) but how are you assholes playing this game already? I thought the darn thing didn't release until the 30th.

You can already order it here: https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/165442 and some game shops have demo copies available already.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Red Robin Hood posted:

You can already order it here: https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/165442 and some game shops have demo copies available already.

Well that seems odd, isn't Cool Stuff breaking some kind of agreement by selling it right now? I'm a lot less familiar with standards in this industry than in video games, but I know that if any video game seller/distributor was openly selling copies over a week before release there would be hell to pay.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Well that seems odd, isn't Cool Stuff breaking some kind of agreement by selling it right now? I'm a lot less familiar with standards in this industry than in video games, but I know that if any video game seller/distributor was openly selling copies over a week before release there would be hell to pay.

FFG dioesn't have "street dates," just "release dates" of when they're sent to distributors. It's an accepted part of FFG's cycle that your store gets it when it gets it. For instance, my lGS got it in Tuesday, but the game store in Springfield, MO, 3 hours away, got it today.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Feeple posted:

For instance, my lGS got it in Tuesday, but the game store in Springfield, MO, 3 hours away, got it today.

Which store? I may have to swing by and grab one.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Game Nite in St. Louis, Mo! Stop by sometime! We're planning on playing a bunch on Sat.

I'll be the fat guy.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.
Picked up a box today, this art is absolutely gorgeous. I'll be giving it a test run with friends at a Christmas party on Monday.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'll be picking it up next weekend when I get back home. Can't wait to try this out, and my friend who picked up all the X-Wing miniatures and I are going to demo each other.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Looking through and building my first decks, I noted a couple of things:

There really are no bad cards. Sure, a couple of cards are only OK, and certainly some are more efficient that others. Nothing, though, is clearly a filler or bloat card. Everything can contribute something to the feel of a pod.

Why in God's name did they include multiple Objectives that clearly state only 1 per deck?

Anyway, the decks. I'm just listing the pods, as there really isn't much point to list the individual cards, since it's all dictated by the objectives.

Dark Side:

ID: Imperial Academy
1x Recon Mission
1x Defense Protocol
2x Imperial Command
2x Ultimate power
2x Death and Despayre
2x Take Them Prisioner.

Light Side:

ID: Rebel Alliance
2x Fleeing the Empire
2x Mission Briefing
2x Rebel Fleet
2x Draw Their Fire
1x Hit and Run
1x The Defenese of Yavin 4

More boring and straightforward, just tossing stuff out and fighting, with some dickery hanging about.

I want to play a few games with them before changing, but this feels like a solid start.

Edit: poo poo, forgot Ultimate power is IN only, updated.

Feeple fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 23, 2012

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Feeple posted:

Why in God's name did they include multiple Objectives that clearly state only 1 per deck?

It's so you can build the all the pre-gen decks without swapping cards.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Got my hands on a copy of this yesterday at my FLGS. Only played one round so far with the preconstructed decks but it was fun! I like the mechanics so far, and the "pod" method of deck building is pretty interesting. Solid first impression, I'd say that as long as big flaws aren't exposed after extended play this should be a pretty good game.

Also the quality of the artwork is really good.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Chomp8645 posted:

Really? This was on the shelves at my FLGS when I went there last week.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
I haven't been able to find this locally in Vancouver. The guy at Imperial Hobbies even said that he didn't know it existed in the first place. I'm so eager to play it though so I might end up buying it online even if the shipping raises the cost by 50%.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mayostard posted:

I haven't been able to find this locally in Vancouver. The guy at Imperial Hobbies even said that he didn't know it existed in the first place. I'm so eager to play it though so I might end up buying it online even if the shipping raises the cost by 50%.

Eh, if that's the case for you I'd say probably just wait it out. I mean if you've got extra disposable income lying around and a person already interested in playing it with you then go ahead, but otherwise I'd just wait. It's pretty fun but it's not the second coming of card games, and especially if you don't have another player lined up there's really no point in rushing it out at extra cost.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Eh, if that's the case for you I'd say probably just wait it out. I mean if you've got extra disposable income lying around and a person already interested in playing it with you then go ahead, but otherwise I'd just wait. It's pretty fun but it's not the second coming of card games, and especially if you don't have another player lined up there's really no point in rushing it out at extra cost.

I've got my brother to play with, but I think I'll wait until the new year and search locally again before placing an order.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Mayostard posted:

I've got my brother to play with, but I think I'll wait until the new year and search locally again before placing an order.

Do the shipping prices from Amazon really gouge you that greatly?

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

Do the shipping prices from Amazon really gouge you that greatly?

It's not available on Amazon Canada, so shipping from the US costs at least $15.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I finally got a game in of this earlier. Neither of us had read the rulebook yet, so we tried to play page by page from it. It didn't work out so well so we ended up watching the FFG tutorials then some "let's play" type review videos. After 30ish minutes of youtubing total, we dove right in and played an amazing first game. If it wasn't for his snatch of a wife, we would have played again.

We both agree that a definite plus to the game is when the box goes FAAARRRRRRT when you lift up the lid.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I have a couple topics I would like to see discussed.

Deck Building: Do we stick to the minimum card number for efficiency? Would I lose too much by adding an 11th objective (the Limited 1) to a deck that otherwise has 2 of five good objectives? Should we always be running two, or is splashing one here and there a good idea? Is fear of being decked out a real problem? Which leads to...

Tempo: Should I play my whole had or hold cards for Edge Battles? How many? When should I be attacking? How many defenders do I leave? When have I held on to a card too long?

I am loving this game. Can't wait for the expansions to start coming in. But I can't seem to ever win what with learning a new play style and all. Any feedback on these or other issues so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

WerrWaaa posted:

I have a couple topics I would like to see discussed.

Deck Building: Do we stick to the minimum card number for efficiency? Would I lose too much by adding an 11th objective (the Limited 1) to a deck that otherwise has 2 of five good objectives? Should we always be running two, or is splashing one here and there a good idea? Is fear of being decked out a real problem? Which leads to...

Tempo: Should I play my whole had or hold cards for Edge Battles? How many? When should I be attacking? How many defenders do I leave? When have I held on to a card too long?

I am loving this game. Can't wait for the expansions to start coming in. But I can't seem to ever win what with learning a new play style and all. Any feedback on these or other issues so far?

In my opinion, that 11th plus objective really needs to justify itself, as the decks get diluted. Taking that pod that has almost all Fate Cards wouldn't be a bad call, though.

Tempo is something to learn by doing, really. Feeling out when to play versus save for defenses versus when to use as an actual card is something that changes turn by turn, and even hand by hand. Just as learning how to bluff well as the Corp in Netrunner, learning how/when to edge is something best figured out by practice, really. It's a mechanic that allows player skill to really shine over card choice/deckbuilding.

• Locked thread