Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
FFG published tourney rules and an FAQ. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3973

It's official! No card effects can interact with the Death Star dial when Trench Run is active. Blast icons and unopposed damage only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is Desolation of Hoth supposed to come out next week?

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
I don't know that they have an official date, but FFG has said that they've shipped it out to retailers, so it really should get here by next week.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, my FLGS got word that distributors would be receiving the Force Pack this week, and it'll be in-store next week.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Amazon says the 15th but my Pre-orders from them have usually arrived early: https://www.amazon.com/dp/161661382...6CNQD1P2KDKDD2&

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
My LGS is getting them on Tuesday for what it's worth.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Desolation came in last night for me. A good mix of nice, interesting, and cards that will get better when more than 3 Hoth objectives exist per side. The new Vader is very cool!

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Yeah, I got to play a few games last night with the new cards. I only added the Vader objective to my Imperial deck and the Speeder one for Rebels, but they both worked really well.

I'm not sure that I'll keep any Hoth cards in my light side deck until another pack or two come out. I got lucky and was able to get Red Three, Wedge, and the Astromech Upgrade pretty early with it once, but it seems like those are definitely going to be stronger once more Hoth cards are available.

My coworker used the objective with the Wampas. That one's great, allowing you to bring them out for 1 resource as long as you have a Hoth objective.

I also really like the artwork on the cards. Vader's objective card and Fear in particular look great.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I kinda wish they'd get the deluxe expansion out before regionals. I like the game, but the environment is kinda stale with so few options. And with how deckbuilding works, the individual force packs don't have much impact.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got the chance to play around with the 1st Force Pack a bit the other day. The empire definitely has the advantage with Hoth stuff until the next FP or two is out. I like the general concept, but it's gonna be a tough balancing act...if they release too much Hoth stuff, there's gonna be a really overpowering meta game for controlling Hoth, but not enough Hoth stuff and a lot of card effects won't do squat.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I haven't played this game much, maybe around 10 total matches with the Core Set back in December/January. I picked up Desolation of Hoth last month, but hadn't even cracked it open until tonight. All of the sudden I feel really amazed how powerful the new Rebel Alliance objective sets are. It seems like they absolutely outclass the Core objectives, and I'm already trying to figure out with three sets from the Core Set that I'm going to cut. My LGS has Saturday afternoon playtimes (shared with Netrunner which I also play), and I'd really like to get this deck going.

The Imperial Navy Hoth objectives just don't feel as robust to me though. Maybe I'm missing something though. Any quick thoughts or opinions from you all who've been playing with this since last month?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SERPUS posted:

I haven't played this game much, maybe around 10 total matches with the Core Set back in December/January. I picked up Desolation of Hoth last month, but hadn't even cracked it open until tonight. All of the sudden I feel really amazed how powerful the new Rebel Alliance objective sets are. It seems like they absolutely outclass the Core objectives, and I'm already trying to figure out with three sets from the Core Set that I'm going to cut. My LGS has Saturday afternoon playtimes (shared with Netrunner which I also play), and I'd really like to get this deck going.

The Imperial Navy Hoth objectives just don't feel as robust to me though. Maybe I'm missing something though. Any quick thoughts or opinions from you all who've been playing with this since last month?

A big thing with the Hoth packs is that they really won't come into their own until more Hoth objectives exist (i.e. When the next Force Pack or two come out). It really feels to me like the lDark side is more affected by this than the Light. I wouldn't be surprised if next pack has some weaker Light Side objectives and the Dark Side's are stronger.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
I really like the Hoth Imperial Navy objective. It fits well into a lot of decks (I like it in a trooper swarm deck). The objective to increase the opponent's cost to play events helps since the light side seems to have so many event cards. Now that cost 2 Rebel Assault can be used, but unless you've been able to get plenty of resource enhancements out, you're probably not going to be able to put a significant unit out there as well. It's even useful in a Sith deck, since you've now got 4 Vaders in your deck to match with his lightsaber for targeted strike.

With that said, I'm really excited to see a few more force packs coming out to see what kind of decks we can put together.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I feel like the new Vader actually works better with the lightsaber than the old one, given how the lightsaber wants you to attack and the new one is better at that. You lose all that sweet, sweet force-chokiness though.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Anyone else get thier hands on the new Force pack today? Maybe it's just me, but there is still a serious lack of characters for the Rebels. I still can't see building a Rebel Hoth deck yet... maybe next month!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I run a couple hoth objectives in my rebel deck, mostly because the snowspeeders are great.
Anything particularly cool make it into this pack?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Manifest posted:

I run a couple hoth objectives in my rebel deck, mostly because the snowspeeders are great.
Anything particularly cool make it into this pack?

The Rebel Alliance Hoth objective set has a few decent buffs for making Hoth keyword stuff more reliable, but it doesn't have a ton of offensive output. There's also a pair of Neutral rebel Hoth objectives, so you should be able to have a good number of those in your objective deck now, at least.

I have a hard time judging the S&V and S&S objective sets, since there's so little out for them right now. Jabba's Orders seems like it should synergize pretty well with what is going to be available.

Deploy the Fleet is going to be a cornerstone of any Imperial Navy deck running star destroyers, and will make getting out the Executor trivially easy if you're going to mix up Sith and Imperial Navy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really excited for the big boxed expansion for Scum/Villainy and Smuggles/Spies. From what little we've seen so far, it really looks like they'll have some fun play options.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

jivjov posted:

I'm really excited for the big boxed expansion for Scum/Villainy and Smuggles/Spies. From what little we've seen so far, it really looks like they'll have some fun play options.

I agree, I think when that expansion hits we'll actually have a look at a more or less "complete" game, as far as options are concerned, between the core set, Hoth cycle, and that expansion. I'm withholding most of my judgment on the state of the game and if it's going to be a keeper or not until then. It looks like both Smugglers & Spies and Scum & Villainy are going to the be sneaky tricks factions, and might be right up my ally.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Spoilers are here: http://toptiergaming.com/forums/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F6369-search-for-skywalker-spoilers%2F

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

"Deploy the Fleet" has me tearing both my Imperial Navy and my Sith deck up to make a sith/star destroyer control deck.
Holy poo poo those cards are dope.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Crazy good pack.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Do we have enough objectives to make a proper Hoth Rebels deck now?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

SERPUS posted:

Do we have enough objectives to make a proper Hoth Rebels deck now?

Yeah, I'd say that if you include the smuggler hoth objective you're solid.

Jerc Jast
May 6, 2004

Yo Noid
I just picked this up on Amazon. I'm pretty excited to start playing it. My friends and I in high school played the CCG a ton. I've never played a LCG before though, but I like the idea of tying certain cards to the objectives. Not having to buy random boosters is also a big plus for me. I probably spent a grand on the CCG.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerc Jast posted:

I just picked this up on Amazon. I'm pretty excited to start playing it. My friends and I in high school played the CCG a ton. I've never played a LCG before though, but I like the idea of tying certain cards to the objectives. Not having to buy random boosters is also a big plus for me. I probably spent a grand on the CCG.

Just a heads up in case you hadn't gathered it from the OP and/or threadchat, you do need a second copy of the main box in order to have a complete play-set of all the objectives.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'd apologize for double posting, but its been over a week.

Had a chance to sit down and play with the newest Force Pack today, I build a full-on Hoth deck for my wife and pitted it against my Vehicle-heavy Navy deck. It didn't do too badly, all things considered. My wife's not the best at keeping track of card effects, so I suspect it actually could completely shut down a vehicle-heavy deck with appropriate application of The First Marker. I'm really excited for the rest of the Hoth cycle now, because I'm finally seeing some payoff to Hoth objective synergy.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I got my first couple of plays in today with my old man, using the pre-built Navy and Rebel decks. It seemed pretty fun, and it wasn't entirely lopsided! I actually enjoyed how swingy the gameplay can be, and the edge battles are a pretty interesting mechanic. Not sure if I can justify another LCG habit besides Netrunner, but so far it's fun as a board game.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Well, this game only needs 2 core sets instead of 3.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Do you think this is on par with Netrunner? I haven't seen any real local players but it looks interesting, and my gf is more likely to play a Star Wars game than a cyberpunk.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Completely different games, imho. I like Netrunner as a competitive game, with very intensive deck building. If you like the asymmetry of Star Wars, give Netrunner a shot. Netrunner features a lot of bluffing and hidden information that I haven't found in many other card games. The flavor of Netrunner is great as well: the cards fit the theme, and when the art matches the mechanics, you know its going to be fun.

Example:

He's hacking from a toilet :v:

If I had to choose just one, it would be Netrunner. I haven't played Star Wars more than last night (several games), so take that as you will.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The SW LCG is very, very different from Netrunner, and I can't help but feel that Netrunner overshadows it. Maybe the Force Packs are changing things, but I think the IP and the relative simplicity of deck construction are the only reasons to go with Star Wars over Netrunner. The latter is just so deep in comparison.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm gonna disagree with the previous two and say that gameplay-wise, Star Wars is actually much more complex and has much more depth than Netrunner. The presence of Twist of Fate provides more bluffing potential than anything in Netrunner currently(the bluffing in Netrunner is entirely overblown). I also feel that at it's core, Star Wars is much more balanced between the factions. Although there's a few things that have been made that alter this a bit, Netrunner feels very much like "Dominion" to me-you build your deck, and take your turns with very little/no input from your opponent where Star Wars feels more like a traditional CCG. Netrunner plays out a lot like a math equation, or a puzzle you "solve" rather than a CCG. Deckbuilding is a bit more in-depth in Netrunner than Star Wars obviously since you're dealing with with 40+ individual cards rather than 10 but on the other hand, you have to evaluate an entire group of cards worth for Star Wars (the objective + 5 command deck cards) so your choices are a bit more important...in theory. Due to the nature of how the objective sets are released, there's honestly not that many variety between "good" decks currently.

I know it sounds like I'm being negative about Netrunner, but it's not really my intent. It's honestly a great game, it's just not really the same "type" of game as Star Wars. I just think people here have a way too high opinion of that game and like to gloss over the flaws. Basically, if you prefer more flexible deckbuilding, less interaction, and a more "puzzle-like" game I'd say Netrunner. But if you would prefer interactive, back-and-forth card game with more dynamic playing opportunities I'd say Star Wars easily.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Carteret and Corbeau, I'm familiar with Netrunner (go look in the Netrunner thread ;)). I was simply asking because while my girlfriend is interested in CCG/LCGs, she's been soured on MtG's scene to the point where it isn't worth the money and Netrunner doesn't appeal to her thematically. She wants to play something (that isn't MtG's money hole) and she's enough of a Star Wars fan that I think she'd be interested enough to play assuming it's a game worth buying into.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Netrunner is too much for my old man. He thinks the Star Wars theme is fun, and the game doesn't require deck building to be fun. The more I think about it, the more I'm most likely going to buy another core set and the force packs because gently caress me I can't hold on to my money when it comes to cardboard :negative:

If your girlfriend would play a Star Wars game, it is definitely worth picking it up :)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

Netrunner is too much for my old man. He thinks the Star Wars theme is fun, and the game doesn't require deck building to be fun. The more I think about it, the more I'm most likely going to buy another core set and the force packs because gently caress me I can't hold on to my money when it comes to cardboard :negative:

If your girlfriend would play a Star Wars game, it is definitely worth picking it up :)

Look at the bright side, you could be playing the real cardboard crack (MtG). $50 + 6x$10 (assuming online purchases) is barely a box of mtg.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Touche. I used to play MtG. Now I spend 100+ a month on boardgames :(

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Any word on a release for Edge of Darkness? The website says May, but well, it's May.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Manifest posted:

Any word on a release for Edge of Darkness? The website says May, but well, it's May.

If I recall, Search For Skywalker was only released 2 weeks ago, so I would say 2-3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Carteret posted:

Touche. I used to play MtG. Now I spend 100+ a month on boardgames :(

Yes, CoolStuffInc free shipping is so tasty.

• Locked thread