Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
New preview of a Navy pod from the upcoming Force Pack. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4135

The cards contained in the pod are ok, but the Objective itself is awesome.

If you get lucky and flop two of those to start the game things could go downhill real quick for the Light side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Dat Navy pod :allears:

A:NR vs. SW: I've actually discussed this with many of my locals, and I keep coming back to "In three years, I'll still be willing to play and buy Netrunner. I'm not sure I can say that for Star Wars."

It's a shame, because I like both a lot. The problem is Star Wars takes a lot longer as a game to develop than Netrunner does, as the pod mechanic means deck innovations are always significant, and therefore new deck archetypes (such as the Smug Jedi build that has been all the rage lately) take a while to come into play. Heck, we're just now seeing the ideas begin of Hoth centric decks, and we're two packs in.

I don't want to sound cruel or mean, because it's not meant to be. I do like this game and the pod mechanic is really neat (although frustrating sometimes when swapping out one or two pods,) but the game develops much slower in my opinion, and it's a different meta tempo than Netrunner is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bosushi! posted:

New preview of a Navy pod from the upcoming Force Pack. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4135

The cards contained in the pod are ok, but the Objective itself is awesome.

If you get lucky and flop two of those to start the game things could go downhill real quick for the Light side.

Oh that just looks beautiful! Navy decks are my favorite, and this objective will probably become a staple in my Hoth decks. Free damage plus units that wreck already-damaged objectives? Yes please.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Think that pod will rest on what the two vehicles do. The colonel really wants an aggressive deck, but the agenda I can def seeing being the backbone of a more defensive Navy deck.

I still don't like aggressive navy because in the end, LS only needs 3 objectives to win and gets to attack first, where DS is looking at 4. Sure, you can take "only" 3 objectives and still win as DS but in most situations I've seen, if you can take that many objectives while keeping defense enough to stop 3 of yours from falling AND keep up enough defense to let the dial do the rest of the work for you, you could've either took the 4th or won without the objectives anyways.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Feeple posted:

Dat Navy pod :allears:

A:NR vs. SW: I've actually discussed this with many of my locals, and I keep coming back to "In three years, I'll still be willing to play and buy Netrunner. I'm not sure I can say that for Star Wars."

It's a shame, because I like both a lot. The problem is Star Wars takes a lot longer as a game to develop than Netrunner does, as the pod mechanic means deck innovations are always significant, and therefore new deck archetypes (such as the Smug Jedi build that has been all the rage lately) take a while to come into play. Heck, we're just now seeing the ideas begin of Hoth centric decks, and we're two packs in.

I don't want to sound cruel or mean, because it's not meant to be. I do like this game and the pod mechanic is really neat (although frustrating sometimes when swapping out one or two pods,) but the game develops much slower in my opinion, and it's a different meta tempo than Netrunner is.

I think both games need some time to grow, honestly. GoT has a similar release schedule to Netrunner, and the meta for that is somewhat stable (prior to the recent restrictions, at least) when a new pack is released, barring something truly amazing. Also, the sheer number of cards has shown that some old/overlooked strategies, themes, and cards would come back into favor based on new releases. This is something I think is strong about the model in general.

However, I think Netrunner is far more constrained in cards that are available to create, and this is something I think SW will not have nearly the same problem with, and why I think the game will be better over the long term. To be honest, I'm frankly surprised how well Netrunner seems to have been received (especially in comparison to SW). I don't know if the old game is remembered more fondly than I expected or what, but I still think there's major systemic flaws with it's base design (which is what kept me out of the game as long as it did [the art eventually won me over, it's really an amazing looking game]). And already it seems like we're seeing "silver bullet" design which is really terrible design in general and doubly troubling when they haven't even made it past the first expansion block.

I'm more than willing to let both games develop and see where they go, but if I have to guess which I'll actually be playing longer, I'd have to go with SW. But I do think both have a decent chance, especially seeing the success of fantasy flight's other LCGs.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

alansmithee posted:

Think that pod will rest on what the two vehicles do. The colonel really wants an aggressive deck, but the agenda I can def seeing being the backbone of a more defensive Navy deck.

I still don't like aggressive navy because in the end, LS only needs 3 objectives to win and gets to attack first, where DS is looking at 4. Sure, you can take "only" 3 objectives and still win as DS but in most situations I've seen, if you can take that many objectives while keeping defense enough to stop 3 of yours from falling AND keep up enough defense to let the dial do the rest of the work for you, you could've either took the 4th or won without the objectives anyways.

It's already been spoiled in the article. Nothing amazing.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Star-Wars-LCG/news/hoth-cycle/a-dark-time/mtv-7.png

This objective begs to be used in Sith control decks. Sith Vader with Force Chokes and Force Lightnings and now this pod = a ton of direct damage. The General has a non-edge dependent tactics icon which Sith always loves and the event adds some nice versatility.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Bosushi! posted:

It's already been spoiled in the article. Nothing amazing.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Star-Wars-LCG/news/hoth-cycle/a-dark-time/mtv-7.png

This objective begs to be used in Sith control decks. Sith Vader with Force Chokes and Force Lightnings and now this pod = a ton of direct damage. The General has a non-edge dependent tactics icon which Sith always loves and the event adds some nice versatility.

Yeah that's what I was looking at it for, but the vehicle is really meh. The tactics icon is cool but he's also 4 resources in a deck that's often hungry for such.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Feeple posted:

I think what kills a lot of interest in Star Wars, at least for me, is that the deckbuilding is really restrictive. It's a neat concept, but with the number of available pods, it generally means that there is like one archetype per side with very little variation. Although I realize that Netrunner decks of a given identity will be really similar (Criminals will always run 3x Account Siphon, Inside Job, Emergency Shutdown, for example), there is still a lot of room to tweak it to your taste. A Star Wars deck has to make 10 choices, whereas a Netrunner deck has to make 45 (or 5 vs. 15 if you're assuming everyone runs max everything, which they probably won't).

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

First night of league for us here, and my Imp Navy deck just isn't cutting the mustard. Anyone have a good Sith build (obviously, Palpy and Vader1.)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Sith deck I run is 2x Fall, 2x Council, 2x Emperor's web, 2x Killing Cold, 1x Cruel Interrogations, 1x Shadows on the Ice

It works pretty well but like all Sith decks really needs Vader/Palpatine to shine (and optimally, both). It's a bit resource light though and I'm really trying to find a way to work in more resources. I was iffy on the Hoth objectives at first but chompers can really help stall an attack. Another option would be cutting Shadows and Cruel for to Motti pods, but you'd lose out on the wampas which often will onlly cost 1 resource for a pretty tough body.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Spoilers for A Dark Time are up: http://toptiergaming.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6480-a-dark-time-full-cards-w-images/

Nothing is really jumping out at me, though. But then again I haven't played this game in forever so who knows what sort of deck meta I'm missing.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

I'm a big fan of FFG games (been playing AGoT for years, as well as Netrunner) so my group picked this up. Seemed like it felt fairly one-sided, once one side started to get an advantage it just snowballed from the there and things got out of hand. This was just with the core game though, are there any "board reset" cards that can be used?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Rockker posted:

I'm a big fan of FFG games (been playing AGoT for years, as well as Netrunner) so my group picked this up. Seemed like it felt fairly one-sided, once one side started to get an advantage it just snowballed from the there and things got out of hand. This was just with the core game though, are there any "board reset" cards that can be used?

The core box by itself is pretty unbalanced.
Once you mix two cores or add some expansion cards it gets really even.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Rockker posted:

The only real reset is "There Is No Hope", which is a dark side event that puts all units in play at the bottom of their owners' decks.

With just one core set though, you will often run into the situations you named as there will typically be 1 or 2 "bomb" cards in each deck, and if someone gets one out it's downhill fast if there's not an immediate answer.

This problem goes away somewhat with an additional core and the expansions, but currently what I see as the clear top 2 decks your focus is generally getting out one of your mains and protecting them as much as possible. The Jedi deck is pretty much based solely on getting out Han/Luke/Yoda and playing cards to protect them. The Sith isn't quite as reliant on Vader/Palpatine, but those two do have a profound effect on the game if they show up.

GrandpaPants posted:

Spoilers for A Dark Time are up: http://toptiergaming.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6480-a-dark-time-full-cards-w-images/

Nothing is really jumping out at me, though. But then again I haven't played this game in forever so who knows what sort of deck meta I'm missing.

The smugglers & spies pod I think could shift the meta a lot. Basically having a protect vehicle could let you do Rebel mains (using all the ships, of course). Alternately, having protect guys for all the 1 hit chaff ships Rebel has could be really strong.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 23, 2013

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

alansmithee posted:

The only real reset is "There Is No Hope", which is a dark side event that puts all units in play at the bottom of their owners' decks.

A well-played Twist of Fate can completely turn a game around too.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

A New Hope is a reset of sorts, too. The game doesn't seem to be able to do much to mesd with tempo, so a strong start can carry you to victory.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think I've said this every time we've seen cards with Hoth tags, but man, I can't wait to assemble a 100% Hoth-centric deck.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

The new box is... Okay.
The sith pod seems too expensive and doesn't have a lot in it, though I REALLY like the jedi pod.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Manifest posted:

The new box is... Okay.
The sith pod seems too expensive and doesn't have a lot in it, though I REALLY like the jedi pod.

Yeah, this pack was defeinitely for smugglers and imp navy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Feeple posted:

That's what I like to hear. I love playing Navy and having a board full of capital ships and TIEs.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Feeple posted:

I've already swapped the smuggler pod into my rebel deck just because it synergizes with Wedge/vehicles so much better.
I could see the new pod working really well in a jedi/rebel control deck though too.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Has anyone been brewing with the new pack? I've got a regional tomorrow and I'm still debating if I want to put A Dark Time for the Rebellion in my sith/navy deck. I miss the resources if I pull out the set with Motti, and the hand control if I pull cruel interrogations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

Has anyone been brewing with the new pack? I've got a regional tomorrow and I'm still debating if I want to put A Dark Time for the Rebellion in my sith/navy deck. I miss the resources if I pull out the set with Motti, and the hand control if I pull cruel interrogations.

Depending on what else you run, I'd say you're probably right about sticking with Motti's pod since DS seems to want resources more than LS. I think the cards in the pod themselves are only meh, but do add a bit of aggression to regular Sith builds (and after trying Devastator pods, I'm less than impressed). I think my Sith deck will end up something like 2x Vader, Palp, Council, Dark Time, 1x Motti and 1x...Rancor! Both of the units in there help to activate everything in Dark Time, and Rancor helps a lot against guardian shenanigans (on top of it's massive HP and blaster damage). The enhancement isn't bad either, especially since dropping it on Vader/Palp means you can commit to the force more freely. And IIRC the agenda itself has 2 resources so you get a bit of a boost there. I really like the Cruel pod, but unless you're running 2 I just don't see the impact (also I really hate fear).

Also took second at another regional. Only 3 rounds (plus champion round), but I made a couple of big misplays that would've gave me the outright win without needing tiebreaker round so I was somewhat disappointed. My old LS Jedi deck is being retired, as it just doesn't have enough threats to do anything consistently ( 2x Luke, Han, Yoda, Guardian, Old Ben's). Probably gonna go cookie cutter and replace old ben's spirit with the echo chamber pod (although I'm also tempted to drop yoda for obi wan). I think 2x Luke/Han are almost a must, as targeted strike (and their abilities) are just too strong. And with so much tied into two characters, the guardian pod seems a natural add. I'd say those are more important to LS than Vader/Palp to DS.

With all that said, I definitely think that we're finally getting to the point where there will be less cookie cutter decks. Navy is starting to seem more viable, and I think the new smugglers pod will help Rebels a lot (since you can protect all your vehicles). Really excited about the big box coming out, as I'm thinking it'll finally convince me to put away Luke/Han (or, more likely, run 3x Smugglers pods with them instead of 3x Jedi).

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

alansmithee posted:

Depending on what else you run, I'd say you're probably right about sticking with Motti's pod since DS seems to want resources more than LS. I think the cards in the pod themselves are only meh, but do add a bit of aggression to regular Sith builds (and after trying Devastator pods, I'm less than impressed). I think my Sith deck will end up something like 2x Vader, Palp, Council, Dark Time, 1x Motti and 1x...Rancor! Both of the units in there help to activate everything in Dark Time, and Rancor helps a lot against guardian shenanigans (on top of it's massive HP and blaster damage). The enhancement isn't bad either, especially since dropping it on Vader/Palp means you can commit to the force more freely. And IIRC the agenda itself has 2 resources so you get a bit of a boost there. I really like the Cruel pod, but unless you're running 2 I just don't see the impact (also I really hate fear).

Also took second at another regional. Only 3 rounds (plus champion round), but I made a couple of big misplays that would've gave me the outright win without needing tiebreaker round so I was somewhat disappointed. My old LS Jedi deck is being retired, as it just doesn't have enough threats to do anything consistently ( 2x Luke, Han, Yoda, Guardian, Old Ben's). Probably gonna go cookie cutter and replace old ben's spirit with the echo chamber pod (although I'm also tempted to drop yoda for obi wan). I think 2x Luke/Han are almost a must, as targeted strike (and their abilities) are just too strong. And with so much tied into two characters, the guardian pod seems a natural add. I'd say those are more important to LS than Vader/Palp to DS.

With all that said, I definitely think that we're finally getting to the point where there will be less cookie cutter decks. Navy is starting to seem more viable, and I think the new smugglers pod will help Rebels a lot (since you can protect all your vehicles). Really excited about the big box coming out, as I'm thinking it'll finally convince me to put away Luke/Han (or, more likely, run 3x Smugglers pods with them instead of 3x Jedi).

What's tough is that with the Jedi/SS deck you take Luke/Yoda/C3PO and it will be hard to drop any of those objectives.

Luke's pod : Trust Your Feelings and Luke Skywalker
Yoda's pod : In You Must Go, resource, Counter-stroke, and even Yoda [for locking down the force]
C3PO's pod : C3PO, Guardian x2, Twist of Fate, Lightsaber Deflection

Putting Han and Echo Caverns in this deck just make it extremely consistent and resilient to many play styles. I think the natural counter to this deck is going to be capture decks, which will shift the meta significantly when they become viable.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
So I bought the core set and played a game with my boss last night - loved it.

We had a couple of questions though. He had an enhance location card that said something like it matched the resource for any objective for any faction. How does that work? We played it as he gets two resources for the price of one on that particular objective.

Also traps, are they one use and done?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The

omnibobb posted:

We had a couple of questions though. He had an enhance location card that said something like it matched the resource for any objective for any faction. How does that work? We played it as he gets two resources for the price of one on that particular objective.

The matching resource thing means that a resource from that objective can be used to satisfy the "one resource must match the card type" rule for any card. It's there to enable 3 faction decks, basically.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

omnibobb posted:

It sounds like you're referring to the card Common Ground http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/starwars/star-wars-card-spoilers/_/core/common-ground-core-16-4 This comes into play if you have a deck with mixed affiliations in it (some Jedi, some Rebels, some Smugglers). Whenever you want to play a card, you need to pay for it with at least one resource of that affiliation. So if I wanted to play Han, but didn't have any available Smuggler resources, I wouldn't be able to play him. Common Ground gets around that by allowing you to pick an objective and for that objective, you don't need to match affiliation.

For traps, are you referring to the Log Trap from the Ewok objective? If so, it stays on the table after it's used. You just focus it to use it and would need to wait for that focus to be removed (either from your refresh phase or playing a card that removes focus) before it could be used again.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

tijag posted:

What's tough is that with the Jedi/SS deck you take Luke/Yoda/C3PO and it will be hard to drop any of those objectives.

Luke's pod : Trust Your Feelings and Luke Skywalker
Yoda's pod : In You Must Go, resource, Counter-stroke, and even Yoda [for locking down the force]
C3PO's pod : C3PO, Guardian x2, Twist of Fate, Lightsaber Deflection

Putting Han and Echo Caverns in this deck just make it extremely consistent and resilient to many play styles. I think the natural counter to this deck is going to be capture decks, which will shift the meta significantly when they become viable.

Ehh, I'm not sure about the capture being all that much of a counter, because IIRC the renegade squadron frees someone every time you strike with it, and there's not too much that captures vehicles.

I will say that dropping Yoda's pod is a big issue though, for many of the reasons you named. He's also only 3 vs. Obi Wan's 5, and has a resource so swapping those out is gonna hurt generation.

Depending on what they get, I could see big ship navy actually being threatening. Sometimes Echo Caverns has trouble generating much objective kill (especially if you're not able to snatch icons of characters which you'd have less of running big navy), so you have a shot at racing. And the big ships have enough wounds and other defenses to take some targeted strikes back in the swings. I swear I head the next pack will have a super star destroyer or something, which would let you run 8 total capital ships without coruscant fleet (not locking you into the identity).

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Presumeablly there will be a lot more capture in the Edge of Darkness box. Capture characters will be the natural counter to heavy character decks. If all of my units are characters, and you can capture them, then I am going to lose my han, and my luke pretty easily.

We aren't there yet though, and that SS/Jedi deck remains the strongest LS deck I've played. It can win even if things don't go perfect, but if you get all the pieces near the start of the game it is nearly unbeatable.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Thanks for the help guys!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
How is everyone keeping all their cards organized?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

omnibobb posted:

I have card pages in a binder, and I keep my objective sets horizontal; on a two page spread, I have 3 objective sets showing. Makes getting cards in and out a bit of a pain, but deck building is easy because I can see all 6 cards per pod at once, rather than trying to memorize which cards are matched with each objective.

I was keeping them ordered numerically, but now that a bunch of force packs are out, I'm going to sit down and split everything into Light and Dark side sections.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Fits both playsets in each pocket.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I am just going to fill this thread with stupid newbie questions.

There are only 3 force packs out right now correct? FFGs site is all screwy for me to pin that down.

Amazon indicates 4

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 22, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

omnibobb posted:

I am just going to fill this thread with stupid newbie questions.

There are only 3 force packs out right now correct? FFGs site is all screwy for me to pin that down.

Yup. the 4th should hit next week-ish.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
If I have an objective that can generate 3 resources and I spend 2 to bring in a card, is that objective now "readied" and I cant spend the 1 remaining?

Edit: oh i read the next paragraph in the rule book nevermind

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 22, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

omnibobb posted:

If I have an objective that can generate 3 resources and I spend 2 to bring in a card, is that objective now "readied" and I cant spend the 1 remaining?

Yup.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

New Assault on Echo Base objective set preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUxM0UtEcNY

It's all about winning edge battles.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

New Assault on Echo Base objective set preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUxM0UtEcNY

It's all about winning edge battles.
I am liking the way Smugglers is shaping up. It will be nice to have something on Light Side I can enjoy other than Rebel Fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009
I was bored last night so I made a bunch of things like this:

I don't know if anyone will find them useful but here is all the released pods:
http://imgur.com/a/mrvCc

• Locked thread