Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Yeah, I thought the "gently caress you for liking me for being a redhead because they gangbang women like me to death after mutilating their genitals," thing was wayyyy out if left field in light of Locke being obsessed with her since he was a child because he was far too loving young to even know about that kind of practice, much less get off on it.

That being said, I'm willing to give Locke a pass on his obsession with Sabetha, assuming of course that Patience was right about his mysterious past and that out of tons of esoteric magical knowledge and other skills that Pel Acanthus had he only retained his loving fetish for redheads..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think because the thief maker exists we'd need at some point to broach the subject of child rape. Lynch's world is gritty and dark as hell, and we've got characters who ruthlessly exploit children, but sexual exploitation is never even mentioned. At some point that probably needs to be explained, to explain why it isn't happening or indicate how the characters dealt with it when it did, and now that we're in a book focusing on the adventures of female child thieves that's especially pressing.
Pretty much the first thing the Thiefmaker says to the orphans in the very first chapter (so, some of the earliest dialogue in tLoLL) is You can stay here and be a thief or you can leave. If you do that, you'll be sucking cocks or chained to a galley oar inside of three days (paraphrased). It is addressed, and early, which is why Sabetha's whole thing comes way out of left field because that's exactly the kind of thing that Locke should know. In addition, there's the scene in LoLL when Locke goes to visit the redhaired prostitute, and nothing of the sort is ever mentioned. You'd think that'd come up in any kind of "redheaded prostitute" or at least have people be mildly worried that Locke has a well-known redhead fetish. Then, as said, Locke is occasionally an idiot. There's no need to manufacture a crisis when Locke is perfectly capable of saying something dumb to piss off Sabetha anyhow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ravenfood posted:

Pretty much the first thing the Thiefmaker says to the orphans in the very first chapter (so, some of the earliest dialogue in tLoLL) is You can stay here and be a thief or you can leave. If you do that, you'll be sucking cocks or chained to a galley oar inside of three days (paraphrased). It is addressed, and early, which is why Sabetha's whole thing comes way out of left field because that's exactly the kind of thing that Locke should know. In addition, there's the scene in LoLL when Locke goes to visit the redhaired prostitute, and nothing of the sort is ever mentioned. You'd think that'd come up in any kind of "redheaded prostitute" or at least have people be mildly worried that Locke has a well-known redhead fetish. Then, as said, Locke is occasionally an idiot. There's no need to manufacture a crisis when Locke is perfectly capable of saying something dumb to piss off Sabetha anyhow.

It's specifically stated that the pox rape cure only applies to children. A fetish for redheaded women wouldn't mean anything, they're fetishised in real life without any kind of induced scarcity.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

coyo7e posted:

That's definitely a valid point and it does add some darker tones to what's otherwise a fairly glossy version of medieval slumland however, there were not really any other mentions of this kind of thing going on, and having Sabetha immediately attack Locke with it because of a single line from when he was 5 years old, seems to come from way out of left field and feels like poor writing or a forced crisis.

Uh, no. There is a lot of really hosed up stuff described in the second book, including noble children torturing animals for fun, a guy forced to fight a hive of giant bees or an entire arena where the poor are degraded for the satisfaction and joy of the rich. The last one was already as close to rape as possible without delving into actual sexual stuff.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

How does one write romance and female characters well in this genre of ours?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think this is a valid criticism (maybe I'm misunderstanding you?). You can't and shouldn't expect authors to make fantasy settings devoid of all evil or suffering, and it's not valid to criticize authors for simply including the existing of rape (even systematized rape) in their world.
I love that the world has super hosed up things (stuff like "gentling" animals/people is so loving horrific and I love it for being so hosed up) and I don't want fantasy authors to remove evil and suffering whatsoever. I do want the evil/suffering things to feel like they fit in the world. GRRM has a bunch of terrible rape going on in his world, and it fits because it's a really lovely place and it doesn't feel like it was added to be titillating or something introduced to add a twist to a romantic plot. He introduced this rape thing to put a fork in their relationship, and that's a really hosed up thing that he thought that this would be an important part of his world. Because, like what Ravenfood said, we've been introduced to a redhead prostitute AND to the idea that children get sexually exploited in this world, and that's terrible, but the whole Sabetha thing is ultra hosed up as there is no need for that poo poo and it had never been brought up until Scott Lynch thought it would be an interesting love story twist.

Which it isn't, at all, and it's so horribly introduced in the middle of a book that introduced other really loving lovely boring things that seem like they're going to take the focus of other stories.

It's like, in the Dresden Files series, Harry essentially stopped doing private detective stuff basically completely after book 5, maybe 6, but we'd had our fill of that and wanted more of this other cool stuff Jim Butcher had been hinting at. We've had one and a half books of super-proactive protagonists Locke Lamora and Jean Tannen committing crimes and heists and this latest book felt like Lynch is already tired of that interesting, unique part of his story. I'm doomsaying and being cynical, and I hope I'm proved wrong, but this book seemed like it was setting us up to ignore the Crooked Warden ethos in lieu of "evil wizards and mysterious pasts" and worse, Lamora's relationship with his girlfriend is in trouble because she thinks he wants to be like a rapist. That's what I mean by lovely loving worldbuilding that has no purpose.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

It's specifically stated that the pox rape cure only applies to children. A fetish for redheaded women wouldn't mean anything, they're fetishised in real life without any kind of induced scarcity.
I'd forgotten about that, possibly deliberately. Ugh.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Whalley posted:

GRRM has a bunch of terrible rape going on in his world, and it fits because it's a really lovely place and it doesn't feel like it was added to be titillating or something introduced to add a twist to a romantic plot. He introduced this rape thing to put a fork in their relationship, and that's a really hosed up thing that he thought that this would be an important part of his world. Because, like what Ravenfood said, we've been introduced to a redhead prostitute AND to the idea that children get sexually exploited in this world, and that's terrible, but the whole Sabetha thing is ultra hosed up as there is no need for that poo poo and it had never been brought up until Scott Lynch thought it would be an interesting love story twist.

This is a third book in a cycle that's supposed to have seven of them. We don't know if this was necessary yet. It may be expanded upon in later books or it may never be brought up again. It may have been used just for worldbuilding as another facet of the former Therin Empire being a crappy place. After all, the trope of the powerful abusing the weak was always present in Lynch's prose. At this point, we have no way to know this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even if it turns out to be an important plot point in a later book, that doesn't change the fact that it felt really awkwardly shoehorned into this one. That's what sets it apart from the rest of the grim stuff in the background; at least none of the other grim stuff was solely used for what could pass as an awkward misunderstanding in a romantic comedy.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Well, I'm about a third of the way through the second book and while overall I'm enjoying it, Locke and Jean acting like bratty teenagers in their interactions with the Archon is really starting to grate. I understand that they're meant to be pissed off that he's given them a slow acting poison and pressed them into his service and that they know he's not going to outright murder them on the spot as he needs their skills, so they're able to push their luck but my god every single thing that's said to them they respond to by basically sneering and saying "huh, you're a crazy man! gently caress YOU!".

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm enjoying book three so far, I like the book 1 style flashbacks to their childhood. I'm right where they get to Carthane which I may be spelling wrong because it's audiobook.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm enjoying book three so far, I like the book 1 style flashbacks to their childhood. I'm right where they get to Carthane which I may be spelling wrong because it's audiobook.

Karthain.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

Part of me wishes these bits were books unto themselves, in large part because I love the interactions between the entire gang, rather than just Locke and Jean.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
There's still Chains' death and Locke's rise to garrista to talk about, so I imagine the next book will be full of flashbacks as well.

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

syphon posted:

There's still Chains' death and Locke's rise to garrista to talk about, so I imagine the next book will be full of flashbacks as well.

Yeah honestly, Republic of Thieves almost seemed to dance around the particulars of Chains' death as much as the first two books danced around the particulars of Sabetha, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a big thing in the flashback stuff next time.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'd like to see the Thorn's other heists as well. One of my favorite parts of these books is all the convincing bullshit and those are probably fun stuff. Plus more Sansas and maybe some more Bug.

Currently I'm at the boat part and I can't wait to see what they do.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Almost exactly two thirds of the way into TLOLL and poo poo gets super real :psyduck:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

WastedJoker posted:

Almost exactly two thirds of the way into TLOLL and poo poo gets super real :psyduck:

Enjoy it, definitely some of my favorite scenes in the last 10 years.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Holy poo poo the ending of RoT. MAGIC CYBORG!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I find that I don't really care about the future of Locke and Jean much, I just want more stories with the Sanza brothers.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Enjoy it, definitely some of my favorite scenes in the last 10 years.

Just finished it. Excellent book.

LongevityMonk
Jul 2, 2011
Not impressed with Republic of Thieves. Way too much stilted pseudo-romance and minor pre-election shenanigans, far too few people eaten by sharks or drowned in horse-piss.

This is undeniably juvenile as gently caress, but my fascination with the first book is largely due to its creative, grim-as-gently caress violence, and the feeling of real danger that came with it. None of the storylines in RoT have any real weight or menace to them, their only real impetus being the seemingly excellent work ethic of Locke and Jean, who somehow insist on doing their best despite having little at stake and fairly few shits to give about the outcome of the election.

The flashback sequence is even worse, as it ends up being a story about going somewhere, ending up in trouble, getting out of said trouble unscathed and unchanged, the entire thing self-contained and effecting zero change outside the story itself. Fine, it gives some insight into the Sabetha/Locke relationship and adds to the mythos of the Gentlemen Bastards being properly trained in a variety of scam-related arts, but there would have been a thousand more interesting ways of making those things happen.

The fact that the ending proves Lynch still has it in him to write some grand, suspenseful and disturbing stuff makes it even more grating that he refrained from doing so throuhout the book, instead writing what is essentially a fairly standard - although well-written - YA novel with some swearing thrown in. At least up until the point where Patience wipes out all the opposing magi only to have her face eaten by her RoboMage son's army of birds..

That said, I'll still be reading the next book. Although RoT was terrible, it did set the stage for some suitably grim things to come.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I thought TROT was perfect for what it needed to be -- a third novel of seven that needed to do a ton of arc-building because Red Seas was too busy stroking the oar up its rear end. I can sort of see where you're coming from with "YA novel plus swearing", but I think that's just Scott Lynch wanting to have his hosed-up cake and still have some fun while eating it. Also, as you say, I wholly expect the last few books of this series to be super grim. Perhaps this is just the last hurrah of innocence and fun outside of flashbacks.

Speaking of TROT setting stuff up for the later novels, I just wrote a very :words: thing on Reddit about foreshadowing that is included in its entirety below:

quote:

I just finished greedily devouring this entire series, and am submitting this topic as part of a huge Internet nerd-gasm. Please excuse me.

This is a theory that seemed almost too obvious to me as I was reading TROT, and my suspicion is that it's a giant red herring. A nice piece of confidence misdirection, if you will, by Scott himself. Let's talk about it anyway.

In-universe, Caellius Lucarno's The Republic of Thieves is one of the Forty Corpses, famous plays from before the fall of the Therin empire. I work better with bullet points, so they'll be taking it from here.
  • In the play, we've got Aurin and Ferrin, two super-close bros. Aurin is arguably more of a protagonist than Ferrin. Ferrin is super dedicated to Aurin. To quote the book, "Ferrin was the better, stronger fighter."
    • Sound familiar?
  • Amadine is an extremely headstrong master of thieves. She shares almost every similarity you can imagine with Sabetha, including Amadine's refusal to let her fate be decided by anyone but herself and Sabetha viciously claiming her role in the play.
  • Aurin finds himself between a rock and a hard place thanks to sorcery. Calamaxes makes almost the exact same threat to Aurin about Amadine that Patience makes to Locke about Jean and Sabetha.
    • This one's important, we'll come back to it in a second.
  • Aurin being forced to accept the crown by Calamaxes draws many parallels to Locke being pressured into accepting (or at least believing) his heritage as the reincarnation of Acanthus.
We get a lot of detail about The Republic of Thieves in this book. It can easily be claimed that this is Scott Lynch doing for theater what he did for sailing in Red Seas, but it's an awfully huge amount of detail, and the works of Lucarno have been featured in all three books so far. I think it's easy to assume some symbolism and foreshadowing in the workings of the Republic:
  • Locke may be forced further, either directly by the Falconer or more likely by circumstance, into accepting/embracing magic as part of his heritage. Even if he's not truly Acanthus, there's something there. Accepting it will mean, in the style of any true tragedy, discarding much of what he currently holds dear.
    • To get perhaps a little too meta, Scott has been carefully trickling details about magic to our parched tongues, but not as carefully as someone like GRRM, who almost certainly will never give us adequate explanations. The nature of magic and the Eldren will definitely be a major element of the books to come, and I think some big reveals are in store. The Sequence is very character-driven, though; what better way to increase the impact of a big "mechanics" reveal than by tying it to Locke?
    • Also, making Locke accept and begrudgingly approve of magic, the force that symbolically killed his friends and ruined his life, is so tragically appropriate.
  • Locke and Jean may fight to the death in a future book. I doubt we'll be able to predict the circumstances with any accuracy whatsoever, but it could easily be done in a way that invokes the Aurin/Ferrin relationship. Locke's new life vs. his old one, with...
  • ...Sabetha standing beyond it as the final test of his mettle. I would personally love a specific turnabout if the Republic's final scene is re-enacted with Locke and Sabetha -- Locke throwing himself on a dagger, showing his respect for Sabetha's independence in the most impactful way possible. Making someone like Sabetha take on the mantle of protagonist for the end of the final book is a trope that I think fits the Sequence very well.
    • But that's just me jacking off about hyper-specifics that I'd love to see; the main point is that a three-way showdown between Locke, Sabetha, and the tangible or imagined specter of magic/etc. could totally happen and would mirror The Republic very closely.
  • As a more general point, I can see any of our protagonists standing in for Amadine and creating an empire -- whether of thieves or otherwise -- that is cast down by the Falconer or another antagonist. This fits both with "The Master Spy" as a known future title and Patience's prophecy of Locke losing a crown.
Or perhaps all of this is just nonsense, and will be lampshaded in a future book as something too silly and obvious. (Scott does like to have his very realistic characters point and laugh at opaque story elements like this one.) What do you guys think?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I just finished burning through this series in a little over a week. I really, really enjoyed all of the books, nearly equally really. My favorite thing, as discussed is the language - it's so loving real and colorful. Second favorite is just how the tertiary characters are both absolute flesh and blood and how utterly dispensable they are. Little explosions of characterization that flare up and disappear. You don't find out what their deal is, but you know they have one.

A common complaint in the thread is about the lack of ocean's 11 heists in the later books. I just don't understand that at all. First of all, the one big heist in the first book didn't really pan out, I mean they got a lot of money but that became less and less important as the book went on, and their really successful grifts that they did to fill the vault were just mentioned in passing. Secondly, if that is all that makes the books for you, I can appreciate that - but - it would get so tired. Imagine that the Dresden Files was just Harry taking on cases and getting beat up solving them in every book. With Dresden Files, we got two so-so case books and then the events at the very end of the third book (I don't think this is a spoiler at all but people are sensitive) ended up culminating in most awesome way possible in the 12th book. That is kinda what I am hoping for with the mages leaving Karthain and the Falconer T1000.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I haven't seen it mentioned so far, so here goes: the thing about sex with young girls curing the pox, minus the redhead things (as far as I know) is a legit thing that was believed for some time in Victorian and pre-Victorian England (and France). Sex with a quite young, virgin girl was considered to be a a valid treatment for syphilis.

I'm not saying "This is a FANTASY BOOK, so of course it has to be HISTORICALLY ACCURATE," just pointing out that it wasn't an out-of-left-field, out-of-whole-cloth kind of thing that Scott Lynch came up with because he is hosed In The Head.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
There are parts of the world where that sort of notion is still around today. I dunno-- I noticed that bit because I was looking for it, and it's definitely a harsh note. I don't know that it bothers me personally, and I'm not sure it's out of step with other harsh notes. It didn't feel gratuitous to me, but this is one of those subjects where I have to fall on a slightly wishy-washy 'but I understand if it felt that way to other people'.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

bigperm posted:

Secondly, if that is all that makes the books for you, I can appreciate that - but - it would get so tired.

It doesn't have to be heists, but I feel like in the TROT, Locke wasn't really using his skills at all. The political stuff was just boring, and not really well done at all. I think it was the time frame of the book and the complete lack of control that Locke had in the book that dragged it down. Locke was never invested in the scheme, so neither was I. If Lynch been given Locke a couple years, and broke TROT in to two or three books, I think it would have played out better. It would have given us time to see him learn the lay of the land, set up some sort of network/power structue (and also develop some other characters along the way), and then start to manipulate it to a conclusion. As it was, it was more - Locke comes up with some idea, he's introduced to the guy that can help, then the plan works/doesn't work, on to the next idea, repeat until the election.

To take your dresden analogy, it would be like cramming Changes, Ghost Story, Winter Knight in to one book. Yeah, you'll get the plot, but it wouldn't have been nearly as good.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

gninjagnome posted:

Locke wasn't really using his skills at all.

IMO this was a symptom of it basically being two books, The Republic of Thieves and Locke and Jean Hang Out in Karthain, crammed into one book. The flashback structure worked really well in books 1 and 2, I think, but here it took up too much of the narrative.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

darth cookie posted:

Jesus Christ. I was just going to bring this guy up and say the exact opposite. The man is a deviant. Every scene is drawn out, nasty and seriously makes me think he's never actually had a joyful experience between the sheets.
Yes but to be fair he kind of approaches everything that way in his books.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Above Our Own posted:

Yes but to be fair he kind of approaches everything that way in his books.

Also true. But I think he misses the fine distinction between "dark & gritty" and "nasty."

Yet I still love Sand Glokta. :kimchi:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

neongrey posted:

There are parts of the world where that sort of notion is still around today. I dunno-- I noticed that bit because I was looking for it, and it's definitely a harsh note. I don't know that it bothers me personally, and I'm not sure it's out of step with other harsh notes. It didn't feel gratuitous to me, but this is one of those subjects where I have to fall on a slightly wishy-washy 'but I understand if it felt that way to other people'.

I think the main issue a lot of people had is that it's a detail that was put in to force some drama. That's a little awkward way to start some drama, but whatever. And then the drama was resolved within a few pages so it just feels kinda pointless.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Srice posted:

I think the main issue a lot of people had is that it's a detail that was put in to force some drama. That's a little awkward way to start some drama, but whatever. And then the drama was resolved within a few pages so it just feels kinda pointless.
That literally never comes up before or after that one scene. Like, Locke happens to be Camorri. We know this. Some Camorri happen to be hosed up about redheads. Why does Locke not know this at all? So its Drama! and then gone forever.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Sabetha is always trying to come up with reasons to not want to be with Lock because she feels like she had no choice in the matter of her feelings for him, like it wasn't her choice to like him due to their close quartered familiarity. When she thinks about how much she likes Locke and how she likes Locke, she feels like she isn't in control of her own life. That is why she blew up. I feel like this was explained more than once in the book and I have no idea why you guys have such a problem with it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bigperm posted:

Sabetha is always trying to come up with reasons to not want to be with Lock because she feels like she had no choice in the matter of her feelings for him, like it wasn't her choice to like him due to their close quartered familiarity. When she thinks about how much she likes Locke and how she likes Locke, she feels like she isn't in control of her own life. That is why she blew up. I feel like this was explained more than once in the book and I have no idea why you guys have such a problem with it.

This is how I feel about it too. I don't understand. I mean I know it gives you hipster book cred to say that an author is bad at romance, especially in a fantasy series, but it wasn't actually handled that poorly. Was the redhead rape thing sort of sudden? Yeah, but she was literally looking for reasons not to be with him, she says that like a dozen times in book 3. Both in the flashbacks and current-timeline parts.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

But that's the thing, she had plenty of valid reasons already. I don't have a problem with any of her other reasons since they felt a lot more natural instead of being shoehorned in! It's just the redhead stuff that stands out due to existing only for the sake of artificial drama that's quickly resolved.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Srice posted:

But that's the thing, she had plenty of valid reasons already. I don't have a problem with any of her other reasons since they felt a lot more natural instead of being shoehorned in! It's just the redhead stuff that stands out due to existing only for the sake of artificial drama that's quickly resolved.

This was her last chance to rebuke Locke, he was finally wearing her down and she was afraid of it. The red-head thing was the last, biggest barrier that she could make up before she gave in. This happened right before they hooked up for the first time, after years of living together with Locke fawning over her and her pretending that she didn't like him.

As for 'artificial drama that's quickly resolved'... you know that this is a book right? That is how... all book are, almost all the time. The whole thing is made up. These books especially. How many times do we have Jean say "We've got a problem" and then Locke says... "I have an idea" smashcut to a resolution of said problem. I guess you could argue that it felt out of place, for you - but I don't feel that way about it at all.

EDIT:

Lies of Locke Lamora: The Shark Fighting is Awesome but the Sex Scenes are so Juvenile

bigperm fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 18, 2014

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

darth cookie posted:

Also true. But I think he misses the fine distinction between "dark & gritty" and "nasty."

Yet I still love Sand Glokta. :kimchi:

Is there even a distinction to be found?

Edit: if so, please point me to the author who has found it. I would love to read their work.

I love Glotka as well, but I'm a cripple, and he and I have a great deal in common.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I wish all the doe-eyed will she or won't she stuff was just replaced with a couple goony sex scenes. Then we could all get back to heisting.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I wish there was no "even children want to rape gingers" connotations and that Locke wasn't a goony gently caress about Sabetha and knew how to go and get laid like literally everybody ever because their romance is written badly and attempting to make it a "one true love" just comes across as really fuckin' pathetic but hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Whalley posted:

I wish there was no "even children want to rape gingers" connotations and that Locke wasn't a goony gently caress about Sabetha and knew how to go and get laid like literally everybody ever because their romance is written badly and attempting to make it a "one true love" just comes across as really fuckin' pathetic but hey

So much so that it's actually a (the) major plot point of book 3! And isn't actually that badly written at all.

It's almost like Locke is the reincarnated soul of a man utterly broken by the love of a woman who he lost, thrust into a life of pain and turmoil after causing the deaths of untold hundreds or thousands with forbidden magic trying to get her back and/or extend his life so he has issues with normal human love and is oddly attached. Wouldn't it be weird if that's what Locke turned out to be?

• Locked thread