Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
Here's the 24/7 cat cam from the Friends of Felines Rescue Center. Mostly adult cats, some kittens, but lots and lots of cats all the time, plus live chat.

http://www.ustream.tv/ffrc

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

SpannerX posted:

This is fantastic! I...I don't...

I know, right? They're all just hanging out and playing and snoozing right now. Every night there are different toys and cat beds. During the day they walk around among the volunteers, and sometimes the volunteers hold the cats up to the cam so you can see them getting lovies and belly snorgles. One night they got into a huge stash of catnip live on camera...

edit: oh and that big round thing is a cat-sized hamster wheel.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 22, 2012

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Both the Shakespeare Kitten cam and the Friends of Felines cam are very active right now! FOF has three tubes out filled with crazy cats and one on the cat/hamster wheel...

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

SpannerX posted:

Missed it! I'm catching up on TV shows.

Looks like the next time this will happen will be Thursday at 7:30 PM eastern. I'll have to see this.

Also, John's going to start looking for a new family of kittens on the 7th. That's going to be huge!

Here's a pic I posted last nighht in the feel-good thread, when the party was in full swing:

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

SpannerX posted:

Edit: Pheeets, I put your screen grab in the OP, hope you don't mind.

Don't mind at all, share the love!

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Rabidbunny posted:

And the verdict is in...

Ash is a boy.

And the chatters are going nuts. It's funny to watch.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

SpannerX posted:

I actually like that chat. It is funny, and lively, there's always someone on there.

Yes, it can be hilarious sometimes. Crazy cat ladies...

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Kitten report, kittens are ridiculous

From a few days ago, since there's no apartment block tower. nd inside it and there's a kitten wrestling it on all three levels. It's pretty absurd.

This is my favorite of all the kitten pics so far.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

SpannerX posted:

Neuter/Spay Day
The kittens are having their snips today, the final step in getting ready for their adoption day (info on which will be given when it becomes available). They will be back around 4:30-5:00 PM PST (GMT-8)

The adoption event is taking place this Saturday, Feb. 23. Have kleenex at the ready!

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 19, 2013

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Ripley's first FB page, they accidently made it friends only:

https://www.facebook.com/ripley.petts?fref=ts

Then a new one was made as a community page.
Ripley's new FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/RipleyPuss

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

Sometimes the mama cat is nervous about being in a new place in general, and will attempt to move the kittens somewhere else. The crazy cat ladies watching the stream usually lose their goddamn minds when this happens. Given that some of these people will scream bloody murder every time a kitten does a perfectly normal kitten thing (ie: throws up), I wouldn't blame John one bit if he decided to delay for that reason alone. :catstare:

This is so true. Typical conversation:

Catnutz: Hi everyone, why is Ripley just lying there

CamLady: She's resting, she was just spayed yesterday.

Catnutz: OMG she's not moving, what's wrong with her???

CamLady: She's fine, she needs to rest for a bit

Catnutz: I CAN'T SEE HER BREATHING. And she's all alone! Maybe she's sick!!

CamLady: There are 1750 people watching her right now, if she was sick we would know it.

Catnutz: Somebody should do something, call 911 or something!!

CamLady: (sigh) If she was in trouble someone would call John

Catnutz: SOMEBODY CALL JOHN RIGHT NOW!!!

CamLady: John is probably watching the cam from work, Ripley is fine.

Catnutz: :words:

CamLady: :doh:

(rinse and repeat every twenty minutes)

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Namirsolo posted:

People were also apparently saying that Purrfect Pals (the shelter John works for) spays and neuters the kittens too young and that they should stay with their mother longer. Everyone is a cat raising expert, apparently. And someone really did complain that seeing a kitten throw up wasn't "appropriate for children".

I wonder how they reacted when the other kittens "cleaned it up" for her.

And at another point John just came right out and said it was okay to talk about cat snot on the cam chat. That helped, for about 5 minutes.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

The new mama escaped the cage she was in with her kittens and people in the chat are tripping out.

Yep, they are losing their goddamn minds.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Metanaut posted:

One of the kittens peed in the upper right corner earlier, momma was licking it at one point. :gonk: Is that what they just do for now? I know the mother will lick them to "make them go", but beyond that it's a mystery.

I reckon John will open the cage sometime next week. They're already starting to climb the walls.

The peeing in the corner is part of their litter training. He doesn't change the towel right away because he wants the scent to make them all pee in one place. Once the cage door is open he leaves it open so they can still pee in there but ht puts the litter box so they have to walk over it to get in the cage, and eventually they start going just in the litter box, around the same time they start eating solid food and actually pooping.

I think they will out be sometime next week too, one of the things he's looking for is their ability to "track" with their eyes and coordinate their back legs with their front legs, which they're close to doing already. Their brakes usually start working only after they've been out in the room for a while

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Do you know about what time on that video Valya starts getting sneezy? It's 18 minutes long and I can't find it by skipping aroung.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Hermaphrodite posted:

Go to 5:50 for sneezy time

Thanks for that. I think it's awesome that he seems to enjoy the kittens as much as anyone.

He also gives a lot of good information about raising kittens in general and never seems to get tired of answering questions.

It's been noted that the daytime chatters tend to be kind of weird and bitchy, but sometimes at night the chat can get really funny, if a little surreal. I just watch unless/until it gets too silly or aggravating then go full-screen.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with Laika, she was just running around again and jumped out of the enclosure.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Well that's great news. She seemed strangely passive and listless when I was watching last night (GMT+2 last night).

Well cats do sleep a lot, especially nursing mama cats. I think it's just that she's been spending most of her sleeping time off-camera where it's less hazardous. Lately it's like she just comes in to play, especially now that the kittens are older and rowdier, but she does still sleep for long periods. If you look back to a couple weeks ago she was just lying around most of the time, on camera.

There were a couple of times over the last few days when she was playing with the kittens like she was a kitten herself, it was hilarious.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah I know that, I have a cat and I've been around cats for the past 20 years or so. She still seemed a bit awkward and listless a couple of days ago.

And yeah, it's fun seeing Laika revert back from 100% mommy mode to normal cat mode. She loves that little orange rabbit :kimchi:

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't already know that, just trying to reassure you that she seemed to be okay. I think one of the reasons he even set up the cam originally was so he could keep an eye on the kittens at work, and let people at PP watch them, to ensure their safety; it's just grown into a huge audience now. I'm pretty sure he welcomes being alerted to anything unusual (like when Pavel was chewing on the cam cable the other day) so it was a good observation to make; fortunately she turned out to be just resting or something.

Last night Pavel and Valya teamed up and pushed the Hammock of Destiny across the room right into the camera, then proceeded to "hide" under it in full view of the cam audience. One of the more memorable nights of the Kitten Cam series.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

SpannerX posted:

Please tell me that that's being posted some where. I have to see this.

Unfortunately, John came in and reset the cam immediately after this happened, so I'm not sure if anyone captured it or not. It would be a shame if it's lost, it was truly epic. The FishBed Migration was captured, but this was even better. I'll post here if I find out it's on Youtube or anywhere.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Just so you know, John is going away for a few days next week/weekend, so I think the earliest date there could be a new litter is 4/28. I'm pretty sure he will get one fairly quickly, it being kitten season and all...I think I heard that Purrfect Pals has something like 70 litters being fostered at the moment.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

uptown posted:

I don't understand why you would change their names after getting them. Yuri is now Boris.

I mean, I changed my cats' names after I adopted them, but I didn't watch them grow up with different names.

No, Yuri is now called Gizmo (which I think is appropriate).

And Newt is now called Penny, because her owners don't like Newt Gingrich.

John won't have a new foster litter until at least April 30, last I heard. He's going away for a few days and taking a break.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

ben liftington posted:

This picture got posted tonight on the Facebook page for John's kittencam. She's so pretty :3:

And he said "Soon..." That usually means they're settling into the kennel and the cam will be back on in the next couple of days!

The cat ladies are going crazy already. She really is gorgeous.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

drat, that's a fine cat. Can't wait to see what the kittens look like :kimchi:

EDIT:

The :siren: MYTHBUSTER KITTENS! :siren:

That's great a lot of people requested that theme, because Grant watches the kitten cam.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

nvm, sorry

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 3, 2013

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Kilmers Elbow posted:

When are they being let out? They're big enough.

They have to be moving competently on all four legs, and "tracking" well (following moving things with their eyes), among other things.

There is an excellent FAQ which answers a lot of questions about the kittens and John:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1DNA7ie0Jh5KjIQ0eg860jpJFEOA7lep3xdwbAgXhd9o#h.psfad5ulznxs

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Metanaut posted:

Last time I made the mistake of not minimizing the chat immediately after opening the stream, some vegans were telling people to stop eating meat and urging them to watch some eye-opening PETA document about the subject.

Really? That's not the type of zealotry that the regulars tolerate, usually. Anyone like that would most likely be hooted off pretty quickly, or ignored. There are a lot of bacon-lovers there, at least whenever I've watched it.

But yeah, maximizing the kitten window gets rid of chat, makes it easier to enjoy the kittens sometimes.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

John was just hanging out in Sarah's kitten cam, and he let it slip that his kittens are being released to the big room around 4:30 tomorrow!!

Edit to clarify: release on Thursday 6/13 at 4:30 pm PDT.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Met posted:

I always thought that was the same area from a different angle. Maybe widened?

It is the same room, the fences are pulled back more and the cam is focused on a different wall and it's farther back now so you can see more area. The blanket on the floor is queen-sized, so that gives you an idea of the dimensions.

There is still some area outside the fence off-camera containing more toys, the kennel, litter, supplies, etc. but it's all the same room.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

How old is Kari? I would assume she's barely more than a kitten herself, just from looking at her/her behavior.

I think most of the foster mamas are less than a year old. It seems like they get pregnant as soon as they are able to, because either they are strays, or people don't want to spay them but let them roam anyway, so the inevitable happens. One of the good things about these fosters is that they all get neutered before they go up for adoption. No more teenage moms.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

SpannerX posted:

Shame about the parasite with the Mystery kittens, but Kari can handle it. :D

The Myth Busters kittens actually tested negative for parasites (coccicdia to be exact), but Kari (the mama) tested positive, so they are all being treated, which is normal practice. The kittens sure hate the medicine though! (It tastes really bad)

The upside is that they all get to stay with John an extra week, because they can't be neutered until they all test negative. So as Szmitten said, it looks like we willl still be able to enjoy them until the 20th.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

They're spending the night in the Woodinville Petsmart, which will be open tomorrow, so let's hope they get adopted then. There were 24 cats there today, and 18 got adopted, I think it looks pretty good for Grant and Tory tomorrow.

And yeah, chat lost its goddam mind again today.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

All of the Mythbusters kittens have been adopted! Someone just adopted Grant and Tory together. The fans are going wild.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

SpannerX posted:

Wow, that was a fast turn around for him.

I wonder what the names are going to be?

Quoted from The Critter room:

"Mom is Hazel. The girls are Penelope & Honey. The boys Sylvester & Marvin."

The Looney Fosters.
Hazel is the oddest-looking cat I've ever seen.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

I think Hazel is gorgeous, meself:

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 8, 2013

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Tory and Grant have been accepted by all the other cats in their new home, to say the least, and Tory appears to have found a new BFF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwNn66XvPM

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

This is so sad. I hesitate to even go watch Hazel today because I know the chat will be all over this. Time for full-screen mode.

It's strange how mother cats abandon kittens and seem to know they're sick way before humans do. Every day of her short life was a struggle.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 20, 2013

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Bad Mitten posted:

Looks like the potty training process is a lot messier than with previous litters. Taz needed a bath in the sink.

Taz's butt exploded three times today. It was actually Marvin that needed the sink bath, after rolling around in the poo. Poor Hazel tried to clean him up but he was just too much of a mess. There are now potty pads in the kennel, much good that will do.

In other news, the Tiny Kitten Cam kittens are at about maximum floofiness and have been zooming around and otherwise being adorable all over the place.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Kitten report, kittens are ridiculous

Speaking of Ash, here is a recent pic of his Majesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Chicken Doodle posted:

Still the only cat I've followed after adoption, mostly because his owners are also kinda awesome.

Tory and Grant (the flat-chested kittern) also found amazing owners who have 5 other cats, and now most of the older ones regularly bathe Grant and Tory. They're totally worth following. The best part is the relationship between their 24-pound Maine Coon Cat (male, Loki) and Tory. The've bonded really strongly. Plus David is a great and funny writer and they both take "aww"-some vids and pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/ToryAndGrantMythbustersKittens?fref=ts

Need proof? Check out this video: (I may have posted it before, if so, pardon me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFwNn66XvPM

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 8, 2013

• Locked thread