Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Jabarto posted:

I'm curious, how much use do people get out of bowmen, ballistas, and catapults (or really, any archer that isn't an elf or crosswbowman)? They seem to cost far more than their statistics would suggest, and I'm in the middle of tweaking them, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something really obvious.

Ballistas and Catapults make for great ranged troops. If you have gold and an army slot to spare they're definitely worth it in a ranged army. Because they never run out of ammo they're incredibly good in conjunction with debilitating spells or giant spiders. They also speed up sieging a significant amount, which is handy for those AIs that love to build forts.

Bowmen, like all the cheap units are mostly for when you get a bad start and cant maintain an army of swords/pikes/crossbows and for some reason don't want to build barbs or brigands. You'll usually want to try and get the 'good' T1 units so you can level them up and turn them into formidable fighters. I'm not using the bowmen any more. Slingers are actually better than bowmen (although still not ideal) and their guard also provides some utility with its sight radius.

Other ranged units like Shamans, Necromancers or Monks are worth it if you aren't going for an iron start. They provide a lot of utility and can learn even more spells after levelling up. A Ranger with 2 monks can fire double shots infinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

A giant spider with support will also easily dispatch a dragon since the web doesn't count as magic and the dragon can't do anything. Easily my favourite egg to find.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Commander and Wizard are really good, but also require the most knowledge of the game. You've got to figure out which unit- and spell combos you can use to clear the harder camps and work towards those. It's easier, but not necessarily more efficient, to just stick swordsmen and a healer in front of your Ranger or go solo Warrior.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I keep getting Harpy Nests in my home province and so I've put some thought into how to best make use of them.

Obviously I start with a commander so I can hire as many of them as soon as possible. I get Brigands and a Library. With Fatigue I can easily clear the surrounding provinces and level my commander enough to get his first and second tier 2 unit slot. Along the way I pick up Healers and a School of Sorcery.
In my current game I got to this point by turn 25 which I feel is pretty early for tier 2 units. The way I fight is just hit and run with the harpies. Those that get attacked in retaliation return to get healed.

My goal is to get a third harpy as soon as possible, because at that point I can take on locations with tier 3 units such as minotaurs or trolls by using Web.

As supercharged Barbarians they seem to work well enough for fighting against forces of equal or smaller size. They really struggle when outnumbered, however. They can't take much damage and will not be able to protect Healers indefinitely. I'm not yet sure how I'm going to make them work later in the game.

Has anyone else found working strategies for harpies?

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

WYA posted:

Seems good so far

BTW this game has been updated to be awesome as gently caress since it was released

This piques my interest. Care to explain?

• Locked thread