Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Grabbed this almost sight unseen just read the op a while back, recently saw it on Steam and said what the hell. Aside from bugs, not being able to turn off animations or skip combat without going into combat, this game is great!

I just finished my fifth or so shard and am now doing a world defense against the brute npc guy which is funny because he was the only one of the other guys that liked me.

When I first started playing I was doing a Wizard and rocking Necromancy/Summoning pretty hard, but after a while I picked up a Warrior and I'm find he's way quicker to get rolling with. The never ending Ghoul/Skeleton army is a lot of fun once it gets rollings, but it's really hard to do so. One game I had no units but only had one square between my Necromancer and the enemy keep, so I attacked a random square and killed the 11 brigand guards he had defending it, turned 7 of them into Ghouls in the process, then attacked his Keep which was guarded by the Thieves guild, and then turned 11 or so thieves into ghouls which filled up the rest of my army. His keep fell quickly after that. A strategy I also liked was having a Warlord and a Necromancer travel together. The Necromancer picks off weak units, raises them as undead and hands them to the Warlord for extra stats who then bombs them into tougher units. A fun strategy but takes a while to get rolling and I just haven't found anything as quick as a Warrior.

I tried the Scout but the problem is that some maps just suck for range units and he tended to stall out in the early-mid game when I didn't quite have enough tier 2 units for him. Now my strategy is get Barbarians quickly, then tech plate armor. As I level the Warrior I only worry about putting his levels into more hit points(later adding regeneration) and Defense. He very quickly becomes untouchable but most stuff that guards provinces and human enemies(the exception being an army of thieves due to poison). I hear a lot of you complain that plate armor reduces his speed but that extra armor is worth it once you have the regeneration going as well. He can easily sit on a hill and tank dozens of orcs or skeletons/ghouls, imps, brigands, taking little to no damage and then healing it away. For stuff that hits from close range, like Thieves, toss one level into his movement which will give him Force March.

The only stuff he can't take early is stuff that's tough for a long time like Minotaurs, shop guards, etc. For stuff like Medusa or Slugs I'll just go recruit a bunch of Barbarians to back him up. Quite a few of the shards will start you next to a Lizardman zone, you can get the quest from them to kill slugs for their allegiance from level 1 so it really is just a matter of finding the slugs themselves.

Late game the Warrior is still great, once he's hit ten turn him into a Berserker and watch him take even less damage while doing more in battle. It's pretty typical for me now, once I get a Berserker to immediately rush the enemy stronghold. I will buy some bastard swords for the trip, and send him on his merry way.

This game is a lot of fun. I think my only complaint is that the early game is soooo slow and since you have to repeat it a lot it get very tedious. I very rarely get to do any of the late game stuff on a shard because I've already won the shard before I get to that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mr.48 posted:

Was looking forward to this game but was disappointed to learn that you cant stack units, since leading an "army" of 6 dudes is pretty lame. I thought this would be a non-issue after so many years of HoMM but for whatever reason developers still persist with this single-unit nonsense. Its supposed to be a strategy game, not a party-based RPG.

While initally you are stuck with three units + Hero, your army gets pretty large with upwards of 10+ units by the late game of a shard. The units gain levels too but I'd say it's firmly in the middle ground of games like the Emblem series, or Final Fantasy Tactics and HoMM/King's Bounty. Having so few units fits more thematically too as you're fighting on shards of land where only maybe could thousand people seem to live. If you suddenly hand 10k Halflings it would be pretty silly. Besides if you want the giant stacks of doom game, the new King's Bounty games are great and petty good for scratching that particular itch.

Between this game, X-Com, and the King's Bounty series I'd say we're in a pretty good run of strategy titles. Now if they can just remove all that online only crap from Heroes 6, and someone made Silent Storm 3 we'd be in a down right Golden era the likes of which I'd never expect to see in my life again.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

While I like the speed increase, there's two things I dislike, first I have an annoying bug now where it crashes when I load games during a combat. The second thing must have been a feature removal or something because I remember I used to be able to access the building from the captial with a right click radial menu, now the option is greyed out and I have to access it from the button on the bottom on the screen. Not a big deal, but annoying.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

Don't worry, in the later shards you won't be able to grind because the enemies will have actual AI. :unsmigghh:

I always wonder how these games would play out against other players where there the majority of battles aren't there just to drain your resources. That always seems to be a common tactic in these strategy games is that the challenge is rarely in any individual battle but instead suffering the least amount of attrition over a long game. I wish one of these games would have a "quick battle mode" where you could set the number of units each player had then just duel, that would be pretty interesting to see what works against a real player and what doesn't.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

slightlyslow posted:

Oh man, just ran into a really depressing bug. I finally got to the point where I could invade other master's worlds and immediately invaded the first evil jerk you meet. It took forever to break through the middle-ground, but I eventually won. I got some really sweet buildings, only to discover that the game didn't actually unlock them for me. I tried reloading the last few turns and I get different buildings but none are ever unlocked. I really don't want to spend 5+ hours conquering that world again, so I guess I'll just wait until it gets fixed. Has anyone else had this happen?

Did the game not show the guy's world as conquered? I'm not to the point where you do have to do this but I'm guessing the end game is having to conquer everyone else's world. I don't have tier 3 units yet and I've knocked off 2 people so far. I killed the Thug guy right away, the Witch and am now attacking the Cloud.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

So I just finished killing the Cloud, who was totally going to kick my rear end with a level 25 Scout until I lucked into a scroll of summon Demon, and a Necromancer shows up. How many of these drat enemy mages are there, christ! Anyway my rage turned to amusement when I killed the entire population of my shard to appease him. I want someone to invade me now so I can see my awesome ruined world.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I don't know how much content the could add but it would be nice if killing the other Gods got you a something more than a seemingly random group of buildings. Maybe they could patch in replacement or upgrade buildings for each Mage that you can toggle on by spending energy before you conquer a shard. Then there's some thematic building that differentiates one guy from another.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

What exactly does that energy do anyway? I only played custom games until now, due to having a campaign bug.

You can spend energy to get benefits in that shard. The benefits are things like having certain items in your treasury or units in your armory, extra gold/crystals at the start or per turn, having buildings already built, or having guard contracts available from the start.

Unfortunately, while you'd think this would be intended to allow you to get to the higher tiers quickly, it really doesn't speed up the early game at all. You're still trudging through the same tier 1 units, leveling the same way each time.

This game could really have benefitted from a Dungeon Keeper style system where you could carry over your best army, or HoMM style where you'd hit a level cap each shard. Would really make it less of a slog going through the early game of each shard.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 8, 2013

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SumYungGui posted:

I'm completely convinced guards have no impact on NPC. No karmic repercussions, no cost to their treasury, nothing. They just poo poo out guards everywhere on even lovely little one gold swamp provinces. I've totalled up the numbers while one of them attacked my shard and I could see everything. There's just no way in hell he could afford the upkeep on all the guards.

It would not be shocking to see that the AI cheats at various difficult levels. Hell if after 20 years of Sid Meier's Civilization games, which still have AI cheating as a balancing mechanic for higher difficulty, there's probably no way they could design the AI in this game without it.

Let's be honest though, you can't really rush in this game due to map design so it's not like by the time you get to the enemy territory you're really going to get thwarted by running into thieves every province. If the AI is hitting you early, stealing your land, and you can't stop his hero you're already hosed.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

Say, do either of the ganmes allow to bring a hero from shard to shard?

It would be nice if you could bank a Hero and spend your shard points or whatever they're called to carry them over. I've killed like 4 other mages, am not at tier 3 year and haven't spent a single shard point. The bonuses all seem so 'meh'.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Errazial posted:

So, this game's going to be 33% off at Greenmangaming for the next five hours.

I've heard it was in a fairly rough shape at release, what's the state now?

Good and getting better. It's pretty stable, I still get an occasional crash on loading but otherwise its fine.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I just did that quest last night. I actually almost forgot about it and had to 'retreat' from a Siege so that I could get it. Nothing you couldn't miss out on though, so if you're just burning through the shards there's you'll get whatever later on. It wasn't even something scaled particularly high for me since I was/am at tier 4.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Dregs posted:

Just got my rear end kicked starting out in this game twice. First was as a wizard, I started out with my three dudes and went looking for trouble. Got my rear end carved up in the first fight. Then I tried a warrior and the same thing happened. enemy ranged units killed 2 of my four mans before I ever engaged.

Are you just supposed to turtle up for the first ten or so turns to get shops and such going?

Wizards rely on undead or demons as mentioned but in the early rounds you can skate by with a bunch of magic arrows as well. This game has a pretty big learning curve in figuring out what you can handle and what you can't. Warriors get better much faster but they are more limited. Once you have a Warrior at level 10 as a Berserker with Regen stacked and some decent gear he can clear a lot of stuff on his own with no army to speak of. The Wizard will always need an Army if for nothing other than a meat shield. I recommend the Barbarians because they have good life and hit fairly hard, they're also cheap.

The first 10-15 rounds you might be passing a lot depending on what your starting area is giving you from exploring it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Dregs posted:

OK, so i started this game again and I did a little better. I conquered the four surrounding provinces, but they all suck. My little rota-menu is empty on all of them. I can't build or hire guards or anything, whereas in the tutorial missions they immediately acted as if I owned them all along. What gives?

I think the tutorial starts you off with certain buildings prebuilt in your capital. In normal shards you'll need to build the stuff in your Capital first then build in the surrounding areas. Note that a lot of the buildings have really high cost to profit ratios so don't just run around wasting your cash building storehouses in every spot. Guards are similar in that you don't need to hire them until you actually run into the AI player(you can handle uprisings by managing morale effectively or having a hero in the area when they occur) and even then only a few of the Guard troops are worth using.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Ugh, hadn't played in a while and I guess one of the recent patches invalidated my saved games. Oh well, I kind of wanted to restart anyway. I suppose since I know what I'm doing it shouldn't take too long to blast through all these shards, this time I'll leave the AI players alone and see what happens instead of killing them as soon as I get the chance.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

victrix posted:

I drop by every few months to ask - have they improved the ui and speed/responsiveness of the game? I kept playing Genesis because all the early reports and videos I saw online didn't look so hot, particularly since Genesis is really fast to play.

Yeah, the shard view seems a bit quicker. Combat at max speed is pretty darn fast, and of course the quick combat option is still there although I wish the quick combat option was available before you went into combat like in Heroes and the AI seems a lot better about not losing units than it did before, although the enemy AI is still smart enough to focus fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

King Doom posted:

If a counterattacking unit kills an enemy, the enemy remains at 0 hp forever. The way to continue is to use the autoresolve combat function. Been like this since launch.

I think something got messed up in the last patch because I was rarely having this problem before and now it happens every battle.

• Locked thread