Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AParadox posted:

You can do that with normal mines but the bullshit instakill mission mines are immune to damage and some of them respawn.

Yep. The only way to destroy insta-kill mines is by driving over them. Minelayers won't work and shooting them won't work.

Hell even nuking them won't work. They're treated as artifacts by the game (same thing as those shield, ammo, repair, etc pickups) except instead of helping you they kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

AParadox posted:

You can do that with normal mines but the bullshit instakill mission mines are immune to damage and some of them respawn.

Game, I give you the Point-And-Click Adventure Memorial Award for Outstanding Achievement in Bullshit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One more promotion and we'll get to start making the coffee :ohboy:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

If you recall, we had a very similar mission to this back in the base Earth 2150 game. However, the LC getting our nuclear launch codes would be a lot worse than the Ashanti getting them. Unlike last time, we can capture the nukes and use them on our enemies. :dance:

We start in a fortified ditch with enough Repairers to recapture the base. Let's go scouting and see if we can find where the base is.

:stare: Whoa. There's a wild thunderstorm happening right outside the base. I don't think we can risk moving out with all that lightning. Look at how it's destroying the old rusty light posts.

The Ukraine has arrived and we've begun reinforcing ourselves.

poo poo. The lightning has let up and now the LC are attempting to push us out. Time to fight back!

And just like that the lightning storm is back. It's odd that none of the lightning is hitting the LC. Almost as if someone was controlling the weather...

The LC attack has been repulsed, and we've taken some serious casualties. Most of them came not from the LC, but from the weather.

With the storm continuing to rage it's just not safe for our land units to be out and about. We need to figure out where the captured nuclear silos are though, so I send this Boyar out. Flying a helicopter in a thunderstorm should probably be more dangerous than driving around, but it manages to avoid any weather-related damage.

The storm still shows no signs of letting up. I bring in a Gruz and start building our ditch up. We're going to be here a while.

The Boyar has found the base and there are a ton of Guardian towers there. Wow. Between the towers and the lightning I don't think a frontal assault is the best play here. Maybe there's another way.

An underground way. :getin:

The Boyar continues scouting, now searching for an appropriate place us to emerge from the depths.

Hmmm...It doesn't look like the LC have put up any defense against aerial assault.

And the rear of the base is completely exposed. Now I just have to figure out some way to get the tanks out of the ditch without them being fried by lightning.

Or I could just try using my Groznys.

The LC have not had control of the facility for long. The defenses are weak and their Solar Power Plants are exposed from the south. Let's see if we can knock them out.

The storm has cleared around the ditch during another LC attack but I'm hesitant to venture out since we've seen the storm come and go depending on the presence of LC units.

The LC have no defense against our Groznys. We should be able to level both power plants without taking a scratch.

Confirmed. The power is now down. Let's move in and retake this base!

:smith: My clever tunnel strategy would never have worked. We can't dig through the solid rock surrounding the base.

The LC attempt one final sortie to defend the base but it's too little too late.

We cut through the unpowered defenses without breaking a sweat.

The LC are much more sneaky than the UCS. I have a Gruz check the tunnels underneath the base for any sort of trap. Finding none, I call in the Repairers to retake the base.

Power has been restored. Time to bring the silos back online.

Aw poo poo. I checked the tunnels themselves for booby traps but I forgot to check the actual basements of the launchers. The ED silos are supposed to have a fail-safe system to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Somehow the LC worked around it and then re-purposed it into a system designed to stop us from recapturing the silos. This is why the defenses were so lackluster, it was a trap all along, meant to destroy the Mobile Commandos!

Quickly, to the tunnels!

However, it looks like the LC set the timers for too long. 7 minutes should be more than enough time to disable the trap.

Whew. The silos are back in our control. Now, it sure would be a shame if we just let the regular ED army take control and refuse to use the missiles. I think the Mobile Commandos need to do some tests to ensure things are still operating as expected before we do the hand-over.

I know just the target too...

We need to get eyes on the base before we fire though. These LC units can't be an actual attack force. They probably know what we plan and these are merely a diversion to ensure they can evacuate any key personnel.

Hah! The UCS are attempting another attack on our HQ. This time they're going for the Research Base. Thankfully I learned my lesson last time; these fighters are going to be feasting on nothing but Dynasty rockets. :smug:

The UCS fighters come under immediate fire.

The robots don't even know what hit them. The fighters are completely uncoordinated.

Take that.

With the Research Base secured, let's add some more toys to our arsenal.

:science: Research: Heavy Laser Cannon, Pamir mk 2

The Missile Control Centers and their silos are back online. Oddly the silos are being reported as Plasma Cannons by the Control Centers.

Just in case the LC try any funny stuff, I'm having this Gruz build a wall protecting our nuclear base. Now the LC will need to move right through the bulk of our army to strike back.

Our attempt to reach the base by land was a failure. We'll need to cross the river if we're to spot the base. Get to it Gruz!

The missiles are ready. Awaiting target...

Target acquired (Thanks Groznys!)

:siren: WARNING! NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED! :siren:

Hmm. Guess a full salvo wasn't enough to completely destroy them. Let's try that again.

:siren: WARNING! NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED! :siren:

Much better. Yet we still haven't gotten credit for destroying all the LC. What gives?

Ah I see.

Take a wild guess at what I do to this mining base.

And with that, we have...

Yet another promotion! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPkOCqnDRgc

We are now Server of the Khan. I guess that means we bring him his food and drink orders? Maybe make him some coffee? :confused:

Even though everyone's dead I'm not about to leave 70,000 credits just lying in the ground. We need those for research.

And while we wait for all that to be mined, let's do some research...

:science: Research: Khrushchev, 1200 PSU Shield Generator, Rocket Launcher mk 2, Upgraded Cannon, Upgraded Chaingun, AA Gun, Heavy Rocket Launcher, Upgraded Helicopter Rocket Launcher

Wow, big list there.

Some of those 9 lost units were Groznys that I uh, accidentally nuked. Sorry about that. I'm sure the families of those pilots will be told of how the LC's treachery forced me to you know, nuke their loved ones.

More nuclear weapons have fallen into enemy hands? Good lord guys, how hard is it to keep this stuff secure?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Nuclear weapons are the ED's answer to weather control, I guess?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Glazius posted:

Nuclear weapons are the ED's answer to weather control, I guess?

Yep. The ED gets nukes and the UCS gets plasma cannons. They both work the same. The LC's weather control is a bit different. The weather control center lets you pick what sort of weather you'd like. Wind is used to ground air units, clear skies in theory is supposed to increase your solar power plant output but I've never seen it work, rain is used to reduce visibility, lightning does what you saw in the start of this update and meteors ruin everything but you can only use them on the Moon and once Earth's gone totally to poo poo. I think you might also be able to make it snow but I don't think you can get the tech early enough to use when there's still snow everywhere.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

rest of briefing posted:

Good luck Comrade! May the Khan's breath, redolent of all things sweet, blow strongly in your direction! (And may you remain upright when it reaches you!)

Signed, General Tsugai Shakt, Mobile Commandos

First the LC, now the UCS. Everyone wants to use our missiles against us. This time it's a bunch of mobile launchers rather than silos, but the threat is in no way diminished.

This is a really exciting mission, trust me.

Oh yeah, and this time there's a timer. We have a little under 2 in-game days to recapture the nukes.

Compounding our problems we are almost directly underneath this artillery. It will, without a doubt, bombard any land units the second we leave the base.

The captured mobile rocket launchers are here to the east of the artillery. Unfortunately, this scouting trip confirms that the only land path to the base is right through the crosshairs of the artillery. We're going to have to go right into the lion's jaws to pull out this mission.

We haven't even finished unloading the Ukraine and we've already come under attack by Dragon bombers. Hope you brought some anti-air units or you're going to lose the mission before you even get going. A single Cossack isn't enough to fend off this kind of firepower.

UCS AI is improving. They've broken off the attack on our units and are going right for the LZ. Fortunately for us, they were too late in re-prioritizing their target and we're able to fend them off.

...Just in time for another wave. Of Jaguar HP+P units. :gonk:

I give the UCS tons of credit here, the only way to really force a loss this late in the campaign is by putting extreme pressure on the player in the opening minutes of a mission before you've shipped over every unit you own.

We're in no way prepared for this type of assault. I order the Groznys to soften up the Jaguars as much as possible, although we've barely scratched them by the time they open fire on our ground forces.

We can't retreat as we're at the ends of the map, nor can we maneuver out to meet the UCS in the field due to the artillery.

We must make our stand in this valley.

Their firepower is almost too much. I can feel my place as the Khan's right hand slipping away...our cities engulfed in nuclear flames...

But all is not lost! I forgot about the :science: LASER units we started with. They heroically charged onto the battlefield and laid waste to all the enemy Jaguars. Never before have I seen a group of throwaway starting units pull me out of the fire.

To the pilots of the 3 Siberia Ls who saved us, I award you the Order of Bravey :patriot: You can expect a very creepy meeting with the Khan after this mission is over.

Our losses are close to catastrophic. Only the helicopters, the Siberia Ls, a Pamir and a Grizzly survive. We'll need to bring in reinforcements.

There. Much better. I've even put up a makeshift base to ensure we can reload. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to waste time. The UCS surprise attack and ferrying of reinforcements has taken up almost a quarter of our time. The UCS artillery still stands and while normally I'd try and take it out to minimize losses, there simply isn't the time.

I order the army to make a break for the abandoned rail yard in the center of the map. They'll come under fire from the artillery but from there I can plan a more coordinated assault that hopefully won't put us right in the heart of the artillery fire zone. Perhaps we can find a way of getting underground and bypass the UCS defenses entirely.

Losses are minimal but in searching the wreckage I cannot find any hopes of entering the underground and digging back up to the UCS base in time.

My Groznys have scouted along the path the artillery is guarding. It all leads up to this bridge, which looks to be the only way in or out of the UCS base. If artillery shells hit it we'll be unable to rebuild in time to reach the rocket launchers in time. But we also cannot afford to delay the army's movement while the Groznys knock out the artillery. This requires a simultaneous strike and a whole lot of luck.

The initial strike on the artillery position is successful in knocking out the Energy Transmitters, but the artillery is so close to the power plants it does nothing. Our first group of units to navigate the cliff side pass are dying in droves.

The fate of the mission lies in the hands of these Grozny pilots. Without the artillery knocked out our losses will be too great to mount the quick strike we need against the UCS.

This is an excellent shot that really puts into perspective just how compact this area is. If the UCS really go for broke they can order their artillery to fire on us even after we've entered the base.

Luck has come our way! The Groznys are able to take out a Condor while it was reloading an artillery piece.

The vanguard has crossed the bridge and engaged enemy defenses. The Cargo Salamanders exit the base to meet them.

We've crushed the Salamanders and somehow I selected a Gruz. Now to move into the base and secure the missile launchers.

We've entered the base proper now. With nothing to stop us I order the only useless unit here, the Gruz, to enter the tunnels and find a way to recapture the missile launchers.

:stare: UCS ingenuity! They've sent a single Panther hP into our base and destroyed the LZ. If we lose that Gruz everyone is trapped in Western Europe. I hope there aren't any mines underground...

The static defenses on the surface have been destroyed. It's all up to the Gruz now.

Go little guy! You can do it! :ohdear:

WARNING NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETEC-oh it's just a power plant blowing up. Thank the Khan. I was really worried there for a second.

There it is! That will give us control of the missile launchers.

You bet your medals I'm gonna destroy the enemy base. I wanna test out these new nukes.

With the timer stopped it's time to spend some cash on research.

:science: Research: Rocket Launcher II

But mere seconds after we've captured the missile launchers the UCS launch a counter-attack. But this time we have our defenses prepared.

Oh yes. Quite prepared indeed.

Before they even reach the plateau they've taken losses.

And in just a few short seconds it's all over.

Meanwhile, our Gruz has discovered piles of gold bars under the base. Maybe its the legendary lost Nazi gold?

The army moves south towards the second UCS base. They offer nothing but token resistance on the way.

:science: Research: Khrushchev mk 2

Our scout has confirmed the location of the UCS base. Now all we need to do is let the rockets fly.

NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED

Goodbye UCS base. No one liked you anyway.

:science: Research: Laser Cannon mk 2, Laser Cannon mk 3, Heavy Laser Cannon mk 2, Heavy Laser Cannon mk 3

More losses than I typically see and we didn't grab a single nickel but we won.

INCOMING TRANSMISSION //Intercepted by ED Intelligence\\ Origin - LC Celestial Council posted:

IV RAVENNČ HABUTAI - XENOANTHROPOLOGIST OF THE LUNAR CORPORATION
The following is an excerpt from a report on the recently discovered alien base

... the aliens were definitely humanoids, and, at an average height of about 1.5 meters, rather small by our standards. Furthermore, there are no signs pointing to the existence of different sexes. Unfortunately, the base has been thoroughly and systematically plundered, so we have no usable artifacts from which to draw conclusions as to the aliens' culture. From the ruins of the base we can, however, determine that the thought processes of these creatures is at least somewhat similar to ours.

Easily the most important discovery was the control panel in Reactor Area II. The written characters we discovered on it bear a 70% similarity to Aztec pictograms dating from the period of their mass murder by Spanish religious fanatics! This is proof that the aliens discovered Earth ages ago. An analysis of the base's foundation using the C-14B method shows it to be between 500 and 700 years old. This means the energy gun was built at the same time the Aztecs were exterminated. Based on the marked similarities in their written language (unfortunately, we have only piecemeal translations of Aztec writings, most of which are based on assumptions) I consider it highly unlikely that this is all a coincidence.

The question of whether the builders of the Moon base pose a serious threat can probably be answered with "no". After all, the cannon was never fired. Plus, it is almost impossible that the glider we salvaged over 50 years ago was built by the same creatures. It is similarly clear that the glider was destroyed by an energy weapon, whose design and construction matches that of the large cannon we discovered. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that two extra-terrestrial powers fought a war in our solar system.

Based on the scanty information available to me, I cannot make any more specific statements. My recommendation, however, is that we intensify our deep space reconnaissance in order to reduce as far as possible the risk of a surprise attack.

Health and Happiness.

So this "Project Sunlight" the LC have been working on isn't really their own design. It was so obvious. How could they manage to build a giant cannon pointed at the Earth at the same time as building their evacuation ships? I suppose the plundering of this alien technology explains why their anti-gravity technology is so much more advanced than the UCS's. While it appears their current target is the central command hub of GOLAN we cannot rule out a strike on the Dynasty. For that reason, we, the Mobile Commandos, will destroy this weapon. OPERATION: UMBRELLA is a go.

Buckle up Comrades, we're going to the moon!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Woo, we finally goin' to the moon!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

rest of briefing posted:

Now Comrade, we shall commence with the First Phase.

The UCS has established a well-defended mining base in Africa. You should destroy this base and use its resources to strengthen your army. You will have need of this strength in Phase Two. Do not disappoint the Great Khan!

If you fail, the ED shall be only a ridiculed memory.

Success! For the glorious Czar, our beloved Khan!

Signed, General Tsugai Shakt, Mobile Commandos

Welcome back comrades! I can hear the Moon calling to us, but before we can assault the UCS's space port in Florida we need to ensure we have the numerical advantage needed for a successful assault. As General Shakt said, the resources available to us in Africa are more than sufficient to rebuild our army after the brutal missions in Europe. Our new, top line army will crush our enemies!

We start out with quite a large base this time around, however some of it is out of range of the power plants. There's also no mining infrastructure, so we'll need to build that if we're to rebuild our army.

No sooner do we start when the blasted UCS try yet another hopeless assault on our HQ.

The fools should have learned from their first failure. No one can hope to assault our stronghold now! :black101:

As in Western Europe, our enemies strike quickly before we have a chance to properly defend ourselves. The LC are using their new sonic cannons, truly a weapon of cowards.

Great Khan's Beard! Is that General Fang? I cannot believe the LC would commit their top general to this battle. Forward men! Kill this UCS dog!

Oh. It was only a copy :geno: Looks like the LC have finally manged to reverse engineer his glider.

We've driven off the LC, but before we have any time to rest the UCS also descend upon us. Our army is weak and battered from the first engagement and the UCS are beginning to push us back.

Our defenses are in ruins. Only the brave men of the Mobile Commandos stand between us and the robotic menace.

The UCS are targeting our aircraft. I am sad to report that all of our brave pilots were killed in this engagement. They will of course receive a hero's funeral.

We have new defenses ready for the next wave, unfortunately their new laser cannons aren't quite yet deployed. We'll have to hold off one more line with the beleaguered Commandos.

Losses have been catastrophic, but it does appear we will manage to drive off the UCS. These 7 warriors are all that remain of our once proud army. And yes, that is one of the starting Pamir tanks we got all the way back in the first mission. He's a tough son of a bitch. :patriot:

The only bit of good news so far is that our mines are up and running and, for now, remain undisturbed.

I've committed the last of our reserves to this fight. The entirety of the Mobile Commandos are now in Africa.

With our new towers a frontal assault is suicidal. Thus, the LC have found a new avenue of attack. They seek to destroy our Supply Depot and starve our tanks of ammunition. This must not be allowed to happen.

We need...something more substantial to stop this.

:science: Research: Heavy Tower

Yes, that should do nicely. Boasting 3 weapon mounts to the Large Tower's usual one, these new towers should protect us from both ground and and air assault.

UCS raids continue, but nowhere near the ferocity of their initial volley. We can now defend ourselves with ease.

LC troops have been allowed unfettered access to the area around the Supply Depot. We cannot risk them shooting down one of the Boyar resupply aircraft. This wall should do nicely to prevent that from happening.

Or it would've if the LC didn't kill the Gruz :argh:

Great. All our aircraft are now grounded. This means no aerial assault, but more worryingly, no resupply. I had been drawing up plans for a foray out of our base's perimeter but that will need to be shelved until we can ensure a constant supply of ammo.

You can't see it from this picture, but this Grozny is moving at about a tenth of the speed it normally does.

:science: Research: Heavy Cannon

The LC and UCS are taking shelter as well it seems. Now's a good time to build that wall we planned on building but were unable to construct due to the untimely death of the Gruz.

Success! Now the LC dogs will need to drive all the way around our base to attack and be melted by our lasers before they have the chance to complete the circuit.

It's taken some time, but our army has been mostly rebuilt. We've moved from a force mostly made up of captured units to a more appropriate Dynasty army, filled with Khrushchevs and other tanks. It's nice...but it's missing something. Something with a bit more oomph.

:science: Research: Mobile Artillery

Ah yes that should do nicely. Just wait until the UCS and LC see this, they won't know what hit 'em!

The winds are still raging but Dynasty meteorologists say the winds should die down soon, making it safe to mount an expedition in search of the UCS base.

Ah there we go. And they even sent out a welcoming party. How nice of them.

:stare: Oh poo poo. That's more firepower than we've ever seen out of the UCS. We cannot hope to repel firepower of that magnitude! Retreat! Retreat!

The retreat quickly becomes a rout as the UCS Jaguars are able to keep pace with our slower units. Dozens of units meet their end, including most of our remaining Grizzlies.

Our towers can keep us safe from the UCS counter-attack, giving us time to lick our wounds.

Well, at least the winds have died down. Note how completely decimated our army is. We even lost that little Pamir whose been with us the whole campaign :cry:

Go away LC, we're mourning!

And what better way to mourn than by destroying a UCS base? :getin:

Ohhh poo poo. Those are artillery shells. That means the UCS has artillery in this base. We don't have the air power for a bombing run. Our only hope is a suicidal charge. If we get close enough to the artillery they won't be able to blast us.

Chaaaarge!

It...worked? We took some casualties but we're all still here.

Meanwhile, back at the base we roast some silly LC scouts.

And now the power's out! Time to raid the-

Oh you've gotta be making GBS threads me. More artillery?

Charge again! We might be going right into the teeth of the base, but we'll last longer in there than we will against those artillery cannons!

Run! Run to the very thing that's destroying our army!

Good god. One more solid blast and we'll be annihilated. We've gotta get that artillery down! We just gotta give the Kruschevs more time!

We did it! :woop: We've destroyed the artillery batteries!

Wait. That blast came from the Fortress. That thing's operational! How is that possible? They're not supposed to have any power!

Take evasive action! Prepare to retreat! We can't repel plasma firepower of that magnitude! Not in this weakened state anyway.

Wait...something's coming. Something different.

It's our mobile artillery! He's getting set up for his attack run. But he's got two fighters on him. He has just enough speed to stay at the edge of their range. :ohdear:

The enemy fighters are coming in much faster this time. He's got the Power Plant damaged, but it wasn't a direct shot. It impacted right on the ground next to it.

Wait...what's that? Yeeehawww!!! :clint: The Groznys are here! Come on mobile artillery, let's blow this thing and go home!

We did it! :woop:

:science: Research: Upgraded Heavy Cannon, Upgraded Heavy Rocket Launcher

More ineffective LC attacks. Boy, that laser formation looks really familiar, although I thought it was green and not red...

We did it we destroyed the UCS ba...er all enemies! Hooray us. Know what that means?

Promotion Time!

With the UCS base in tatters, it's time to turn our focus on the LC.

Hmm. Looks like the LC also have a Death Star artillery battery. Fortunately our air force is back to full enough strength to take them on.

It looks like it's working!

:smith: It's not working. We'll have to do this the hard way.

See, totally capable of staging a second assault despite getting the stuffing beat out of them only hours ago.

Of course, thanks to multiple Mobile Artillery units it goes far, far easier.

Not that the artillery isn't still annoying.

But given the poor defensive posture of the LC base it's fairly simple to just walk around it the other way, slowly picking away at it.

Oh gently caress Crions :siren:

Thankfully it doesn't do much to us. And if a Crion can't stop us I really, really doubt a Fat Girl will.

Hey look, it's a Landing Zone. Maybe General Fang was here after all...

And that's all that remains of the LC base. I'm just gonna tell you that we end up blowing up the whole thing since they don't have enough power to run the artillery anymore.

And after a bit of searching we find the last of the UCS base and an absolute treasure trove of resources. That should be enough to build an invasion force for the Moon.

Many Dynasty troops died to bring us this victory.

With the funding and our army in place we still need a space ship to actually get to the Moon. And that's why we're attacking Cape Canaveral in Phase Two. I really hope we aren't stealing a Space Shuttle...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's the best plan ever.
1. Build army.
2. Go to location.
3. Destroy enemy.
:allears:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Poil posted:

That's the best plan ever.
1. Build army.
2. Go to location.
3. Destroy enemy.
:allears:

It's the Dynasty way.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Fun fact: It's possible to get over 1,000,000 resources from that map.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

my dad posted:

Fun fact: It's possible to get over 1,000,000 resources from that map.

If only the LC, ED and UCS realized one random place in Africa had enough resources for them all this terrible war could've been averted...

But then we wouldn't have had :science: and awkward flirting and Neo quoting old movies. And that wouldn't have been any fun at all.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

rest of briefing posted:

Signed, General Tsugai, Shakt, Mobile Commandos

PS We are well within time schedules, so you have enough time to make sure those UCS tin cans will bother us no more.

Welcome to Florida Comrades. Full of sun, beaches, lave and UCS scum. We don't have much to start with, so let's get a base set up.

This will be our last mission on Earth, so every able bodied Dynasty soldier will be contributing to this mission.

Our mine is well in front of the rest of the base, but we should still be able to defend it with ease.

Speaking of defense, here's the usual UCS early attack. Thankfully I've got a good mix of tanks and Groznys here so it shouldn't pose a problem.

So many rockets...

We lost one tank out of an entire army. Definitely wasn't a problem.

With the first threat to our base neutralized it's time to push out and a) find a good spot to defend against any other UCS attacks and b) find the UCS base. The Groznys will look for the base while the tanks fortify themselves here.

No UCS robot will be able to penetrate this defensive line.

So far we've found a whole lot of nothing. At least we know we have the southern part of the map all to ourselves.

:science: Research: 1800 PSU Power Shield, Pillbox

We're at nearly the midpoint of the map, still no sign of the UCS. These resources will come in handy though. I'll send a Gruz up to build a mining base.

Oh poo poo :stare: That's one hell of a base. SDI Lasers, towers galore and an actual sane power grid. This is not going to be an easy nut to crack.

It's also nestled right up against the side of these hills, leaving us few good places to attack. But I have an idea...

An idea involving artillery :getin:

Our towers and second mining base are ready. With the towers in place the mobile units are now free to take on a more offensive role.

HQ has been completely cleaned out. The only things left here are some Boyars I've kept in reserve and that utterly useless Minelayer we started the campaign with.

I'm even bringing over these two Spiders that have been protecting the Recycling Complex. Who cares if the UCS destroys it at this point, we're not going to be recycling anything anyway.

This is our entire army. No reserves, no last second reinforcements. I'm sending everything I've got at the UCS.

But not without some trickery first. If I can secretly build a series of artillery batteries here in the mountains, the UCS will be unable to reach us directly. The only way they'll have to attack is to move right through my line of towers and units near the base. Let's hope this works...

The Groznys are on standby in case the UCS send over any air units.

Success! It looks like we can shell their base with impunity without getting in range of their towers.

Wait, how did you get back here?

No no no no no no no no no no no no no

My brilliant plan is ruined! There's a small pass through the hills and the UCS are now pouring into our artillery base. Hold the line! I'm sending up the entire army to reinforce you!

Well it might not be stationary artillery, but our mobile artillery is putting the hurt on the UCS in the remnants of our artillery base.

Unfortunately, almost all of our Groznys were lost. If we're to rebuild, why not rebuild with something a bit tougher?

:science: Research: Thor mk1 and mk2, Heavy Helicopter Rocket Launcher mk1 and mk2

Following their successful attack on our artillery base, the UCS press their advantage and are now marching towards our first mining facility. However the entirety of the ED army is there to stop them. This will be quite the battle.

The battle is joined and I cannot see a damned thing from all the rockets flying around. Hopefully we aren't all shooting each other.

The UCS line begins to crack with the weight of the Dynasty army bearing down on them.

We've destroyed the first wave, and more importantly, secured this choke point.

The UCS have no chance. Under fire from our mobile artillery on their approach, and decimated by lasers once they reach the causeway the battle is over.

We have won! :woop: Now to press our advantage and retake the land our artillery base sat on.

And while we're there, why not kill some Harvesters?

The eastern edge of the base is lightly defended and should be where we aim our forces.

Unfortunately this pass through the hills is the only route, and the UCS have it locked down rather tightly.

Our attempt to send some of our comrades over the top fails miserably. We'll need a better strategy.

Shortly after midnight the UCS attempt a counter-attack. But with only one Jaguar the assault doesn't stand a chance. This all feels very World War 1.

Closer to daybreak, another UCS assault, this time with a bit more oomph. But with our mobile artillery now reloaded and in place the UCS can barely make their way down the hill before being obliterated.

At dawn our mobile artillery is finally able to punch a hole in the defenses. Now is the time to strike!

Everyone over the top! Our Siberia I units lead the way, making the UCS pay for neglecting to put shields on their Fortresses.

With the Fortresses disabled, we gain the upper hand.

The first Dynasty units have made their way down the hill, and they're still alive. Keep pressing the attack! I want this base razed to the ground.

The western half of the base now lies completely exposed. While I originally planned to take the open area to the east, we can't let this opportunity go to waste. Move against the power plants!

Goodbye UCS base. You were definitely one of the more challenging to assault.

While the army cleans up, a Gruz builds a forward resupply and reinforcing outpost.

The base is totally leveled and our Groznys have found a teleport pad off in the distance. The UCS base is no more.

Wait what's that sound?

My...my final promotion. I've done it. I've become the Shining Star of the Khan. This is a great day in Dynasty history! :patriot:

But this is no time to stand around and be patriotic, we've got a space port to seize. And I've got some bad news, this thing is locked up even tighter than the UCS base.

Artillery, SDI lasers, and towers galore. Not to mention the giant chasm that denies us an entrance.

And the aerial defenses look to be quite stout with those Grizzlies inside the base. What are we to do?

First, let's at least get the army in range. We'll need to find ways across the chasms and fissures.

I foolishly order an attack on the Energy Transmitters. The UCS guards are able to knock me out of the sky before I can do much of anything.

We'll get across one chasm with a tunnel, and one chasm with a bridge.

Our second aerial assault looks to be going much better. I've ordered the Thors to stay just barely out of range of the UCS rockets rather than flying in right over them. Due to superior Dynasty engineering our rockets can reach them, while their rockets cannot.

We've cleared out most of the anti-air units. Now to eliminate the artillery.

The artillery is down. Time to make our move.

One more bridge and we'll be there. We just need to make sure no one kills the Gruz.

Fire everything you've got! Distract the UCS!

The distraction worked. The bridge is complete and now we can flood the UCS base.

There's no defenses in the rear of the base, and with the power down the UCS are helpless to stop us. We've won!

This is our last remaining Grizzly unit. I'm glad he made it this long, because we're gonna need him to start the launch sequence for the rocket while our army clears out the UCS defenses. I'm not risking one of those SDI lasers shooting our rocket out of the sky.

We'll need to hit all 4 switches underneath the space port.

Just walk around in a circle like this.

Defenses are down! Hit the last switch and let's go to the Moon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4cMquVRtio

We did it! We're going to the Moon! Time to end Project Sunlight and take the fight to the LC's home turf.

Unfortunately, our army will need to stay here to ensure our landing site is secure for our return. It'll be just me going.

Nothing will go wrong, right?

We lost a shitload of helicopters from my idiocy with the space port base.

Next Time...on the Final Update from The Moon Project

The General (and his escorts)...

...Versus Project Sunlight.

Who will be victorious?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Did... the khan just send a couple of domestic animals to poo poo on our family grave?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Congratulations, General Axeil!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fohv1-oR-wM

Poil posted:

Did... the khan just send a couple of domestic animals to poo poo on our family grave?

Please, those are the sacred Yaks of the Khan! They do not poo poo, they fertilize the soil they walk on.

Yes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Whoa. I played the last mission and was it way different than I remembered.

Mostly because I had to use console commands to get the LC to build a Tunnel Entrance since the one in the campaign flat out doesn't work. The key unit in the mission just sits on the tunnel entrance and won't enter, making it impossible complete the mission. Took me about 2 hours to figure out how to switch players and have the LC do that.

We just narrowly avoided a "well the mission doesn't work, on to the next game!" scenario. :gonk:

Oh right, you can switch players during the campaign. I'm sure I'll find some interesting way to use this in the future.

Poil posted:

It is not our place to question the Great Khan. If His yaks wish to poo poo on our family grave our ancestors should be honored for the privilege!

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 11, 2014

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

axeil posted:

Whoa. I played the last mission and was it way different than I remembered.

Mostly because I had to use console commands to get the LC to build a Tunnel Entrance since the one in the campaign flat out doesn't work. The key unit in the mission just sits on the tunnel entrance and won't enter, making it impossible complete the mission. Took me about 2 hours to figure out how to switch players and have the LC do that.

We just narrowly avoided a "well the mission doesn't work, on to the next game!" scenario. :gonk:

Oh right, you can switch players during the campaign. I'm sure I'll find some interesting way to use this in the future.

It is not our place to question the Great Khan. If His yaks wish to poo poo on our family grave our ancestors should be honored for the privilege!
gently caress this mission :argh:

I remember something wrong happening here in the top-left corner of the map but I have purged it out of my mind, all I can recall is the massive amount of rear end in a top hat mines, choke points, defenses and babysitting. But I swear I did find a way to beat it back then without console cheats and it only took me over 3 hours, way too much savescuming and frustration.

I dropped the game after this.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AParadox posted:

gently caress this mission :argh:

I remember something wrong happening here in the top-left corner of the map but I have purged it out of my mind, all I can recall is the massive amount of rear end in a top hat mines, choke points, defenses and babysitting. But I swear I did find a way to beat it back then without console cheats and it only took me over 3 hours, way too much savescuming and frustration.

I dropped the game after this.

Oh yeah, on hard at least the non-working tunnel entrance has an artifact mine in front of it :haw:

Hope you have some units left to sacrifice!

I remembered this mission being really easy. It isn't.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

axeil posted:

Oh yeah, on hard at least the non-working tunnel entrance has an artifact mine in front of it :haw:

Hope you have some units left to sacrifice!

I remembered this mission being really easy. It isn't.

Is the non working tunnel entrance the one with an LC unit stuck on the other side? I remember dislodging it eventually but not sure how. It took me hours for sure.

And no, this mission ain't loving easy, mainly due to the insane amount of micromanagement needed.

AParadox fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 12, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This is it comrades! Today is the day we blot out the sun! :black101:

General Fiodorow has received the Sunlight self-destruct codes from an ED mole inside the LC's organization. All we need to do is get him near the Sunlight Control Center and he'll be able to take care of the rest. Easy right? :heh:

It looks like they're not even trying to defend it.

Here's our strike force. General Fiodorow and five escorts. Thankfully for us the 5 escorts are UFOs similar to the one Supreme Dynasty General Axeil stole from the UCS at Area 51 earlier in the war. I'm sure we've all seen the battle reports and know how much of a wallop they can pack. Imagine the destructive power of five of them!

:stare: Oh poo poo. Not even seconds into the mission and the LC are having their Weather Control Centers bombard us with meteors. We need to get out of here quickly.

Oh you've gotta be making GBS threads me. They've mined the only escape route.

I'm going as carefully as I can but there are giant rocks falling from the sky right behind the General and his escort. Pick up the pace!

Whew. Just in time.

Maybe it's not all bad. The LC have left a supply cache here for us to raid. I'm able to put shields on three out of the five escorts. I'd have shielded Fiodorow too but his craft already comes with shields thankfully.

And they've also left a complete map of the surface. Wow. This is going to be so easy.

Maybe not. LC first responders are here and they mean business. Fortunately one little Moon can't do much to our task force.

4 on the other hand...

General Fiodorow is lucky to escape with his life. As you can see his craft was badly damaged and disabled in the fighting. What you can't see is just how badly the damage was. One more blast and this entire mission would've been for naught.

Thankfully he's able to take advantage of the supplies.

Our UFO escorts will need to take a more active escort role now to prevent any further mishaps.

5 NESTs are nothing against the might of the UFO!

Another minefield? Great. At least there aren't meteors falling on us this time.

Careful everyone. We can't afford to lose any of the escorts this early.

poo poo. More meteors. You two, go ahead and see if the LC have planted any traps.

A NEST and more supplies. We at least can get the other 2 UFOs shielded.

This is going to be quite the dash. We can't let the general get hit by any of these meteors.

We made it! And we're right next to the Sunlight Control Center, but with no way in the crater we'll have to keep going.

Oh we'll need to dodge more mines. :argh:

Careful General. There is no straight path through here.

(Restart count: 5

gently caress this mission)

We've made it to another quiet zone. Hopefully there aren't any more mine fields to navigate.

OH COME ON

And now they're sticking units right on the other side so we can't do our "slowly send everyone across" strategy as their AI will take over and they'll dumbly plow right into the mines.

Yes, that's it come here.

I really hope one UFO can hold off all these Moons...

He can, barely. Meanwhile Fiodorow sat back there and got pelted with meteors like a moron. Time to carefully drive through a minefield again.

(Restart count: 15)

Meteors and Fat Girls. What are they gonna add next? Artillery?

:negative: I should shut my god damned mouth.

Fat Girls, Moons, New Hopes, Artillery, Meteors and Mines. In one spot.

(Restart count: 18)

I'm just gonna let the meteors handle these units. That'll teach the LC from wantonly spraying meteors everywhere.

I move Fiodorow back as far as I can. His ship is damaged and there's calamity ahead. So, which one of you lucky escorts want to go take care of the artillery?

Congrats escort 1, you win the "run around in circles drawing artillery fire" prize. You must've really hosed up somewhere.

For every artillery base there has to be a supply depot or they'll be unable to reload. My strategy here is to destroy the supply depot and pray like hell that the LC don't rebuild it.

Okay. Now to run around again to deplete the reloaded guns.

(This mission is just so much fun guys! :allears: Don't you all wish you could've played it?)

(Restart count: 25? 26? It all started blurring together around now)

gently caress. Well it's been an honor serving with you Escort 1 but I can't possibly navigate you out of that small spot with 3 artillery shells coming for you.

Hey! Stop that! I am not having you kill Fiodorow after dealing with all that artillery bullshit.

The Guardians are being neutralized by the escorts. But we have a tunnel there that Fiodorow can go in so all's well right?

No. No it is not. gently caress this part gently caress it gently caress it gently caress it. The orange tunnel is the only one that actually exists in the mission, I added in the two blue ones. Why did I do such a thing? A few reasons.

First, note that there is a mine in front of the entrance. That means you need at least one living Escort to take the hit from the mine so you can get in. Guess how often all the escorts got killed? Add another one to the restart count.

Second, there's a Moon that pops up the second Fiodorow gets close. And he usually can kill him because Fiodorow is defenseless (except against air units).

But most importantly,

THE ORANGE TUNNEL DOESN'T WORK

Yes that's right. The last mission of the game is impossible to complete. I have no idea why it doesn't work, but Fiodorow sat on it for an hour looking like an idiot while I scrambled around trying to figure out why it wasn't working. I restarted and tried not destroying anything. Still didn't work. I restarted and destroyed everything. Nope. I restarted, and used console commands to destroy Sunlight, thinking that would at least let me show you all the ending. Nope. I restarted, tried to spawn a Gruz and build a Tunnel Entrance but couldn't get it to spawn.

Finally I restarted, found a command to switch to the LC, which apparently is a thing you can do, and manually built a tunnel entrance on top of where the orange one is. Hooray! Except when Fiodorow tried to use it he exploded when he exited the tunnel entrance :suicide:

So finally I built two on the side and if this didn't work I was going to start looking for ways to teleport Fiodorow down there because this had been going on for something like 2 hours at this point. Somehow this actually worked. I have no idea why but it did.

If any of you are playing along with this use the following procedure to actually get past this

-Press enter
-Type "Cheater 1" without the quotes
-Type AI.local 3 to switch to the LC
-Save the game
-Load the game so the Build bar shows up in the UI
-Build Tunnel Entrances
-Type AI.local 2 to switch back to the ED
-Save

(Restart count: too many)

Hey look we're in the tunnels! Yep. No console cheat shenanigans going on here.

And we deal with mines again, because hey why not, you just spent two hours trying to fix this mission, you already know you're gonna put up with the bullshit we throw at you.

I swear to god Fiodorow if you drive over the mine...

There's a bunch of Moons over there, but since we're much smarter than the game we're going to avoid going that way.

Here it is, the antechamber. Just one last obstacle to hurdl-

MORE MINES!

Why...

Why...

What did I do to you Moon Project? :suicide:

One of the escorts drove over a mine.

I don't even know.

I really, really hope there aren't more mines down this access tunnel.

NO MINES! WHAT A HAPPY GLORIOUS DAY! :woop:

Now let's blow this thing and go home.

Thanks General Shakt. I just wanna get off this drat rock.

But not before watching the final fireworks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xatsx-ipQL4

The Dynasty is victorious. I'm sure there is much rejoicing back on Earth. But we can't rejoice for long. We still have to finish building the evacuation fleet. I hear Supreme Dynasty General Axeil is making the final preparations now.

But I do wonder one thing, what happened to our spy in the LC? And how did they build this giant cannon anyway?

Epilogue

INCOMING TRANSMISSION - origin: LC High Command posted:

V IGOR BITITOFF - DOUBLE AGENT
The following recording was discovered in an antique Salyut capsule by an LC deep space explorer

It is the 21st day of November in the year 2150 AD. The latest world war is raging on the planet. Alliances are formed and later broken, with neither side capable of getting the upper hand in the conflict. Time is becoming critical for all sides, thus the bitterness of the struggle for Terra's last remaining natural resources.

The originally pacifist Lunar Corporation has proven itself at least as battle worthy as the other two superpowers. This has focused UCS attention toward the Moon. While Eurasian Dynasty troops engage in massive operations on the North American continent, the UCS, acting on direct orders from Golan, has launched a blitzkrieg attack on the Moon. The order was given after UCS intelligence services furnished worrying reports of several new developments.

It was reported that deep below the majestic lunar mountain range, the LC stumbled across the remnants of an alien culture. The LC anthropologists immediately began collecting and analyzing the foreign artifacts, in order to discover more about this strange race's physical and cultural characteristics. Apparently the ruins were an abandoned military base. The size of the burnt-out fission generators raised a significant question for the researchers - what did the aliens need with such gigantic quantities of energy?

A pilot involuntarily came across the answer when her reconnaissance plane was suddenly shot down, even though there were no enemy units in the vicinity. It turned out she was brought down by the alien's automatic defense system. The LC blasted into the area with rocket charges and discovered the reason for the Alien base's huge reactor capacity - a gigantic energy cannon pointed right at the Earth. The aliens' lunar base was just an outlying defensive position, set up in case mankind ever decided to start exploring the cosmos. Why the aliens left was still unclear, but the members of the Celestial Council of the Lunar Corporation saw right away the cannon's strategic potential. With the artillery support the alien weapon promised, the LC could go from third wheel to absolute victor in the upcoming
climactic battle. GOLAN, the de-facto head of the UCS, knew all about what was going on, since the LC were unable to knock his reconnaissance drones out of action.

The final act in the largest play in history has now begun. Who will win the race against the Apocalypse? I know not. For as I record these last lines my oxygen supply is steadily running out and I can do nothing to prevent my impending death.

Before I was exposed as a traitor, I was Director of War Research for the Eurasian Dynasty. I pray that the ED perishes along with the planet, for somewhere out there they are waiting for us, and the only chance for a peaceful coexistence will be if Vladimir and his reign of terror are finally put to and end.

I am getting sleepy ... I ... look ... forward to my next ...research topic .... life .... after ... death ... will ...

The capsule was totally destroyed by a hit from a meteorite. The body on board was identified as Igor Bititoff, alias LC agent IANUS.

Sadly this leaves us with more questions than answers. Why would aliens build a giant cannon and point it at Earth? Where did they go? How did GOLAN find out about Sunlight in the first place?

And what of the Evacuation Fleet? Will everyone on the planet be able to escape? Regardless, it's important for us to remember that Time is ticking away...

That's it for The Moon Project! Next time we'll get started with Lost Souls, which has a much more focused plot than the other two games. Unfortunately, due to the linear nature of Lost Souls I won't be able to hold any votes on which campaigns to do first. Maybe I'll think of some other things to vote on so we can get some more audience participation.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I just realized the UFO is the alien fighter from Independence Day.

Also goddamn, what a bitch of a mission. I wonder how it managed to be shipped while literally unfinishable?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Byzantine posted:

I just realized the UFO is the alien fighter from Independence Day.

Also goddamn, what a bitch of a mission. I wonder how it managed to be shipped while literally unfinishable?

I think it's a bug from the new patch. I don't ever remember having this issue when I played it when I was younger.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

axeil posted:

I think it's a bug from the new patch. I don't ever remember having this issue when I played it when I was younger.

When I played this mission, by the time I made it to the tunnel entrance, underground there where 3 LC units trying to get the surface, 1 in the entrance, 1 to the right and the last ping-ponging back and forth between the path to the exit and the left. At the time I thought it was a pathfinding issue but after playing again the LC campaign I remembered one thing:

the entrance is of a different color than the rest of LC units so it belongs to a different "player" and it need its own energy source, maybe they put the generator somewhere hidden far away but the patch that changed the LC energy grid from global to limited range from source meant the gate was too far and was powered down.

The patch already almost broke that lc guide the idiots across minefield mission so it could be the same deal here

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the ED stranded us on the moon, right? I can't see them not stranding us on the moon.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Glazius posted:

So the ED stranded us on the moon, right? I can't see them not stranding us on the moon.

Use your imagination, they never really cover the whole "getting Fiodorow back home" bit.

Although, question for those well-versed in Polish or Russian: Is Fiodorow another way of writing Fedorov? It seems awful close.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So I found Earth 2160 the other day at a bookstore for $5. It reminded me I still haven't seen this finished. Quite a lot changed between 2150 and 2160.

ProfessorLemur
Nov 14, 2014
Thanks to you guys, I know I'm giving 2160 a wide berth.
Have to say though, it's nice having all this nostalgia again. I should probably play the original campaign again.
You're doing awesome by the way, Axeil. Can't wait to see how you do with Lost Souls!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
2160 isn't bad... it just isn't great. Many things have been simplified while resources are slightly more complex.

ProfessorLemur
Nov 14, 2014

Deadmeat5150 posted:

... resources are slightly more complex.
Hmm, I missed the memo on this. I'll be honest. I thought the resource system would have stayed the same. How did Topware/Zuxxex (sic?) change the system?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There are three resources in 2160. Water, Metal, and Crystal. Each of the 43 factions utilizes two of the resources and can ignore the third. They also have very different methods for gathering, which is pretty cool.

ProfessorLemur
Nov 14, 2014
Interesting. I haven't seen many game Screenshots outside of gameplay of 2160, and I did notice you guys say that the unit designing is simplified. How so?
Sorry about all the questions, by the way.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

From the Diary of General Fedorov - Commander of the Mobile Commandos posted:

September 1st 2150

It has been four weeks weeks since I left for the Moon to destroy the LC's Project Sunlight. While Project Sunlight was destroyed, what I have returned to is nothing less than a disaster. General Axeil, Son of Khan Vladimir II and the Savior of the Eurasian Dynasty's has betrayed the Dynasty, destroyed our Spaceport and attempted to pin his pilfering of Dynasty supplies on me! Thankfully, the traitor died in the destruction of the Spaceport, a death suited for such a spineless coward. However, rumors do circulate that some of his lieutenants were able to escape. What they plan to do on with the planet's doom no more than 6 months away is beyond me.

While unable to destroy the evacuation fleet, General Axeil's destruction of the Spaceport and it's resources have dealt a major blow to our efforts to leave the planet. With the UCS heavily entrenched in North America and our South American campaign ruined by his treachery, our only option now is to mine in those areas so remote and inhospitable as to be a danger to every soldier who enters. It's not ideal, but it's our only hope. At least we were able to destroy that infernal cannon the LC had put on the Moon. If we were in such a spot with that weapon aimed at our cities, all would be lost.

The Khan has ordered me to push the LC out of Finland to allow us to access the bountiful resources in Scandinavia. Things are tight with the mass re-deployment and chaos in the Army so I can only spare a few units. Making matters worse, the LC are aware of our situation and a large attack force would allow them ample time to spot us and reinforce their position. A quick strike team will enable us to move in and cut the LC base out before they can alert their comrades. Let's hope it works.

Unlike the previous two titles in the Earth 2150 Trilogy, most of Lost Souls' briefing information comes in the form of videos. I'll be posting these at the start of each update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drBoPV-mxOA

Before we get started with our mission, let's check out our HQ.

Great Khan's Beard! This place is an utter dump. I suppose there's not much left that's usable now with Axeil's destruction of our Spaceport and subsequent nuclear launches, but drat.

The Khan seems rather calm about the whole "my son just tried to kill all of us" thing. Nice disposition.

While we started with no research in Earth 2150 and the Moon Project, we get a whole bunch of stuff for free in Lost Souls. We have all Pamir, Siberia, Chaingun, Laser, 120mm canon shell and 20mm chaingun bullet upgrades. Not much, but at least it's something.

With that all said, let's get over to Finland.

rest of briefing posted:

General Fedorov: Is that not Finland?

Czar Vladimir II: Yes, use caution. The LC control Scandinavia. Now is not the time to attack them directly however...just get the raw materials! Keep your eyes open for artifacts which will help you complete the mission.

General Fedorov: I Will do all that is necessary

Like Fedorov alluded to in his journal, we're going in very light. All we have are 12 Pamirs and 8 Khrushchevs.

Meanwhile, our flyby of the LC base indicates it's uh, terrifying.

rest of briefing posted:

Pilot:There is a hidden path to the northwest of our present position. It leads behind the defenses and directly into the LC base. We also assume that there are artifacts in this area. The LC has more or less no defenses covering that path. If we can get to their base and destroy their energy supplies we have a good chance Comrade General!

General Fedorov: Good. Let us start with the operation.

Well at least the Krushchevs have shields. That'll help out.

We encounter a few patrols on our way north. They aren't worth writing home about.

A husk of a Gruz. Undoubtedly destroyed during our retreat from Finland during the LC's invasion.

Another patrol engages us outside the ruins of Helsinki. The town was completely destroyed during the 2140 War.

For the sake of completeness I have some of our units scout around the ruins of Helsinki. You never know what you might find in these old husks. Rumor has it General Axeil found a god damned flying saucer out in the desert while he was on campaign in North America.

There are only 3 research options available to us this mission and I'm grabbing them all.

:science: Research: SDI Defense Center, Scout mk II, Mobile Artillery

One of our scouts discovers a much more substantial patrol right as night falls.

Our Pamirs take quite a beating, but most of them are only damaged, not destroyed. We will continue to move towards the LC base under the cover of darkness.

Just as our aerial scouts indicated, there are artifacts here that we can use to refuel and reload. With everyone now ready for the assault, let's see if we can take down the LC base before they know what hit 'em!

drat it! That scout said the western flank was undefended. This does NOT look undefended to me!

LC mobile defenders pour out of the base. Thankfully for us, they're only Moons and Lunars, completely outclassed by our Khrushchevs.

I keep working on the towers, rotating heavily damaged units to the rear of the line to allow them to recover.

But eventually everyone runs out of ammo and we have to make a tactical retreat back to the artifacts.

With the Guardian towers destroyed, the base is as easy to penetrate as our scouts predicted.

The only true resistance we meet come in the form of these Lunars.

Guess what happens when Lunars take on Khrushchevs? Well I'll tell you, it ain't pretty for the Lunars.

With the base defenses neutralized the power grid falls in minutes, cutting the LC off from any reinforcement attempts. From here we merely need to complete our razing of the base.

It's made a bit tougher since we need to constantly move units back to the artifacts for resupply, but we get the job done by daybreak.

Not so tough now are you towers?

If the LC are going to counter-attack our best defense is...a really big wall.

First we build the base.

Then we admire it.

Then the LC launch a pathetic attack.

And finally we build our really big wall.

All we need to do now is wait until the resources are extracted.

Victory! We'll need to destroy the base as we evacuate but this is a great day for the Dynasty. We've got enough resources now to rebuild the electronics that were sabotaged by General Axeil.

Scores are always good when the enemy doesn't have a base to attack.

Next time, we go to Korea, where the UCS has attempted a bold invasion of Asia. The launching pads for our shuttles to the evacuation fleet are nearby, so we need to drive them back into the sea!

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 18, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So I found Earth 2160 the other day at a bookstore for $5. It reminded me I still haven't seen this finished. Quite a lot changed between 2150 and 2160.

Glad I was able to get back to updating then! My personal life got kind of chaotic for past two months so I was completely unable to just sit down and play/write out an update. Thankfully I finally got some free time this weekend :unsmith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

axeil posted:

Glad I was able to get back to updating then! My personal life got kind of chaotic for past two months so I was completely unable to just sit down and play/write out an update. Thankfully I finally got some free time this weekend :unsmith:
The Czar is pleased with this. :)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hey, nice to see this LP is back. That mission is much harder than Axeil makes it look, particularly if you don't wall yourself off.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Awesome to see this back in action. I have determined that I am horrid at 2160. The easy AI kicks my rear end so easily.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

my dad posted:

Hey, nice to see this LP is back. That mission is much harder than Axeil makes it look, particularly if you don't wall yourself off.

Oh trust me if you want to see hard missions, just you wait. Lost Souls is punishingly difficult. There's a reason I'm not playing these on Hard.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
He speaks the truth. Lost Souls assumes you already beat games 1 and 2. I didn't even get past the fifth mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

He speaks the truth. Lost Souls assumes you already beat games 1 and 2. I didn't even get past the fifth mission.

In the next mission (which I'm currently writing the update for) the UCS has a wall of heavy towers protected by a minefield and you have no air units or units more sturdy than a Siberia. They also get free units every ten minutes and you only have one mine layer to clear the mines.

It took me something like two and a half hours to play :suicide:

edit: Also something happened to gently caress up the colors in half the screenshots. You'll see in a bit when I upload the update.

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 8, 2014

• Locked thread